Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Chips get dipped in French onion dip, French fries are good with burgers, hot dogs & battered deep fried fish!
Now look here you colonial chappies. We were calling them chips back at least to 1860. If you want to make reference to those odd fellows across the ENGLISH Channel in your potatoes with burgers, feel free. Don't expect me to join you - we have 400 years of animosity towards them and we do try not to talk about them in any way!!!

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Southampton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Yes - it has arrived! Awoke this morning to a light covering of snow - the spirits have lifted. No doubt it will be melted by lunchtime, but in the lights from the houses, it looks great. Third time we've had snow in my 13 years of living down here, which gives you some idea of the delight.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know, rumour has it that they are going after him to recover the money - though knowing lawyers, how much that will cost I would hate to guess. Given it was The Times, I suspect they will.
they say in most legal actions the only one who wins is the lawyer.
60s chic

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now look here you colonial chappies. We were calling them chips back at least to 1860. If you want to make reference to those odd fellows across the ENGLISH Channel in your potatoes with burgers, feel free. Don't expect me to join you - we have 400 years of animosity towards them and we do try not to talk about them in any way!!!
My daughter was married to a man from The United Kingdom. Lived in a little town called Rainford, near Manchester, or Liverpool. I loved his accent and manners. Unfortunately the marriage didn't last, but I will never forget him. He called potato chips - crisps and said that it was scarce to find peanut butter at the grocery stores, so I would send a few jars from time to time. While they were living here for a few months, I served my then son-in-law some tea and biscuits on an English tray. He got a big kick out of that and said that he wasn't much for tea, but he appreciated it. I felt rather foolish but he was so sweet about it that I wasn't offended in the least. I never met his family but spoke with them a few times on the phone. So warm, polite and very family orientated. My son-in-law-s favorite dish was Kidney Pie and I never learned how to make it, although I was planning to before they broke up. I have a few pics of my daughter and son-in-law that were taken in a local ale house in Manchester. It has either closed or was renamed. Not sure, but I think it was called "The England and Child", or is it the Eagle and Child? Can't remember!

“Poppies. Tower of London”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Brighteyes9 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's hilarious....what about Dickies. The kind of dickies that women would wear around their necks!? An older friend of ours as talking about the dickies that she used to wear and she wishes they ere still around. Before I found out hat she was talking about, I as laughing hysterically. Ms. El, Quinn, Grace and others, do you know of these dickies?
So funny..divided by a common language! LOL I know OF those Dickies,
we called them Dickie Bows, I don't recall them being in fashion for
ladies, but men wore them with a dinner jacket if I'm not mistaken.
I have been known to wear a regular tie, loosely knotted with an
open neck white shirt blouse in my younger days, considered myself looking ever so kinky. lol

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

franko wrote:
<quoted text>was there ever an optoin to get something back through legal means??? Over here they have large groups get together and do a "class action suit" so their combined power is enough to take on those who wronged them. I am sure this can be done in the UK?
Wouldn't you think there would be that option, but sadly, no.
Fortunately the newspaper he worked for made up a little of the difference.
The annoying thing was, the Maxwell Brothers were granted Legal
Aid at the taxpayers expense....
Like an idiot I found it sad that RW paid for it with his life.

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
Yes - it has arrived! Awoke this morning to a light covering of snow - the spirits have lifted. No doubt it will be melted by lunchtime, but in the lights from the houses, it looks great. Third time we've had snow in my 13 years of living down here, which gives you some idea of the delight.
That's great Tony, glad you got some after all. My brother is really
disappointed up there in the North West part of Cumbria, he loves
the snow much as we do, nothing...his dog is waiting anxiously for
it to snow so he can run out in it and play. Reminds me, must get
our little Blue in, she was last seen leaping around in a foot high drift.

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

franko wrote:
<quoted text>when people are being mean to a guy they might call him a pencil dick ... so maybe not out of line then?
New one. We omit the pencil!

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

NeverMissed wrote:
<quoted text>
So far I am not, but I have hope for the morning.
Wishing you a speedy recovery NM.

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, Cuz El! Congratulations on the new addition to your family!!
I've been following the weather there, that hampered travel and normally mobile life. Any additional snow to what fell the other day?
Perchance, would that billiard table be for playing snooker? Learned that years ago, and enjoyed though have not done "forever" ... THAT is quite the billiards game.
'Morning Cuz Luke...oh, it's just temporary with the homeless one.
I am considering trapping him/her and appealing to the shelter,
although if he is feral, what chance? Will play it by ear as always.
You know, I think you are right, it would be snooker. Not to mislead,
it wasn't a huge table, it was in what was officially our 'parlour'
where, when visitors came they were shown in there and tea was served, I remember also delicate salmon sandwiches cut diagonally....
Gawd, there I go again, reminiscing....

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

60s chic wrote:
<quoted text>
My daughter was married to a man from The United Kingdom. Lived in a little town called Rainford, near Manchester, or Liverpool. I loved his accent and manners. Unfortunately the marriage didn't last, but I will never forget him. He called potato chips - crisps and said that it was scarce to find peanut butter at the grocery stores, so I would send a few jars from time to time. While they were living here for a few months, I served my then son-in-law some tea and biscuits on an English tray. He got a big kick out of that and said that he wasn't much for tea, but he appreciated it. I felt rather foolish but he was so sweet about it that I wasn't offended in the least. I never met his family but spoke with them a few times on the phone. So warm, polite and very family orientated. My son-in-law-s favorite dish was Kidney Pie and I never learned how to make it, although I was planning to before they broke up. I have a few pics of my daughter and son-in-law that were taken in a local ale house in Manchester. It has either closed or was renamed. Not sure, but I think it was called "The England and Child", or is it the Eagle and Child? Can't remember!
That was a considerate gesture on your part chic..your son-in-law will have taken away equally pleasant memories of you. A similar gesture was
made to myself when I was over there, so I know how the memory will last.
The 'Eagle and Child' remains..and being a Northener, I am familiar with Rainford, it is half way between Manchester where I was born, and Liverpool, where I have lived. Boundaries changed and it now is declared to be in Merseyside. Lovely people.
btw would that by ancy chance be steak and kidney pie? Tasty!
Glad to see you back 60's chic...

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Good Morning to ALL here...

Grace...enjoyed watching the singer on the VOICE..
enjoyed the panel too! I hope you will keep us posted
as to how he does.

How about Mrs. Brown's Boys last night! It gets better
if that's possible.

Running late this morning, all puss cats fed and watered and indoors. Blackbirds have taken over the
garden, yesterday I stood inches away from a female blackbird and she is happy to feed in front of me.
Just put sultanas and crushed fat balls out for them, bit of cheese for the Robin.

See you in a bitty (as they say in the Midlands)...:)

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Sorry to butt in on your conversation 60's chic and
Tony. Know you won't mind.

It's snowing again!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Question wrote:
<quoted text>Enjoy talking to yourself much?
I do it all the time. Sometimes I answer myself too. Is that a problem?

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Colorado Chick wrote:
Loooooove coming into El's front door..the aroma of fresh baked pastries and ten flavors of coffee brewing..
Intermingling it's MAGIC Spell over all who enter.. WOW!!
And we love having you Chick...

just making Cauliflower Cheese...comfort food for this
cold weather. Passing you a dish and hoping you enjoy!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Brighteyes9 wrote:
<quoted text>Galoshes! LOL
drawers!

“Autumn”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
You know, you have something
valuable there [Mornin' Tony]
when you say how it lifts the spirits ..
very very true,
I've ALWAYS found that too, wonder if it's
some beautiful feeling we brought
from childhood..

“Autumn”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do it all the time. Sometimes I answer myself too. Is that a problem?
ME too!

especially in the car lol!

giving inmstruction to other
divers, like 'O! come oooon, move' etc.

and to myself

'Hurry hurry, you could get thru
before the lights go green'
and if I don't get thru'

I say to myself 'idiot'!

I even find it helps,
talking OUT LOUD with no one there
only myself ..oh yes, Ali..
(sorry Ali(:

[Morning RMQ.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know, rumour has it that they are going after him to recover the money - though knowing lawyers, how much that will cost I would hate to guess. Given it was The Times, I suspect they will.
Good for them. He's turned out to be a liar and a cheat and a thief. Not to mention a bully. From the link DW posted - "the interview" - sounds like he was looking for sympathy 'yeah but it wasn't as bad the Europeans in the '80s.'

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>Now look here you colonial chappies. We were calling them chips back at least to 1860. If you want to make reference to those odd fellows across the ENGLISH Channel in your potatoes with burgers, feel free. Don't expect me to join you - we have 400 years of animosity towards them and we do try not to talk about them in any way!!!
LOL!

I beg your pardon, did you just call me a little chippy?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••