|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Me, me (waves had wildly), I call them by their correct name - chips. But then, what I call a rubber is not quite what our American friends refer to as that!
Fries! But, we do have chips too -- home made and commercially made and packaged.

A versatile word .... can be slipped on in wet, sloppy weather for dry feet!

“McVeigh | Bundy bunch ”

Since: Nov 09

anti-American terrorists too.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Grace Nerissa wrote:
It so happened there's an OFFBEAT thread
called "WHEN I WAS A KID" ..........
recalling childhood memories..
Coincidentally,
I had written these thoughts from childhood,
some while back.. so, I gave it an airing there..
thought I might as well add it here too,
I came as close in the writing of it as
I viewed life 'at the time'
and older now, I think the age of INNOCENCE must be one of the most Godly qualities .. we know.
I asked on Offbeat, at the time for a name for the poem..
among many suggestions someone suggested I call it 'WONDER'
- WONDER -
"When I was a little child imagination running wild,
When all my dreams ran wild and free
the world was a different place to me.
Even in the baby school, I could never obey the simple rule
of>
sitting down and being quiet,
with an eager heart and mind so bright and full of
so many new things I could see..
I thought the flowers were little friends
who tickled my nose with their funny scents
Woven in a wreath upon my hair ,
their colors matched the ribbons I'd wear..
When Mama lay me down to sleep
I watched the shadows slowly creep up close
around my bed
And .. YOU WOULDN'T BDELIEVE .. the things they said
like>
I was a fairy queen
who ruled alone in the land of dreams
And .. at birthday time when I waved my wand
A bright star fell in a land beyond
and turned into an apple tree
with silver apples JUST for *me*.
Through the window across the sky
I was SURE I knew the reason why
the moon and stars were playing about
I thought I had it figured out -
that the moon was really a friendly old Dad..
And the stars were
> little children he had
who danced and twirled in the Heavens all night
and slept in the clouds 'til morning light.
And when the sun came out to play
I viewed her, too... in another way>
like some glittering crown a lady would wear
it's rays.. like strands of golden hair.
When Christmas time came by each year..
I SWEAR I felt a presence -
whether Santa Claus or an angel above?-
I only know,
I felt the love of a blessed spirit..
holding me tight and kissing my cheek
all through the night-
s saying I was a sweet princess
who always wore the prettiest dress
Well,
it could have been the JESUS child ...
[I often thought] by the way He smiled.
I had a wonderful Mum and Dad..
The best you'd ever meet..
they loved me well and bought me treats
like ...... coloured papered toffee sweets.
Way back then when I was a child,
For a time, I had an Angel's mind
AND
I saw the world in a wondrous way..
Another time..
Another Day.."
[by
Grace Nerissa]
Cherished theme in delightfully reflective poem, Cuz Grace.

“McVeigh | Bundy bunch ”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Afternoon Brighteyes...I believe we post simultaeneously
earlier..
You are so right, 10% of flights were cancelled earlier at Heathrow, London, hundreds of schools closed, yet the general feel is that we are coping magnificently. lol
Hot chocolate is definately order of the day.
Speaking of pool, we had what I thought was a pool table in the front room when I was a child growing up, but P informs me it must have been a billiard table, as, according to P, we didn't play pool here until
the 50's. Whatever we had was great fun to play!
Thought I would mention, a strange cat has turned up in our garden,
I suspect he is sleeping under the chalet and emerges around dusk
which is about half past four...heads for the remains of any food which the birds may have left. He is quite big, tabby, and for all the world resmebles a Scottish Wild Cat.
I took him a dish of food out and left it where I had cleared snow for the birds..no sooner had I returned indoors than he appeared, and wolfed the food. There is a warm bed for him in a sheltered place, so I will keep feeding him this severe weather, hope to gain his confidence.
Absolutely fine here t/y and hope the same for yourselves.
Ah, Cuz El! Congratulations on the new addition to your family!!

I've been following the weather there, that hampered travel and normally mobile life. Any additional snow to what fell the other day?

Perchance, would that billiard table be for playing snooker? Learned that years ago, and enjoyed though have not done "forever" ... THAT is quite the billiards game.

“McVeigh | Bundy bunch ”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Only one fall - but that had to be right in front of she-who-must-be-obeyed! She laughed her socks off, but did then admit it's the first time in 12 years of skiing together that she's seen me fall - no doubt it made her day as I'm usually far enough ahead when I have a spill that I'm back on my feet before she arrives on the scene! Women's Downhill was awesome - I couldn't ski at 90 mph as they do - and an American lass won, Alice McKennis.
Welcome back, Tony, and fit as a fiddle notwithstanding the fall I see. Glad to read that such an enjoyable time was had by you and she-who-must-be-obeyed.

“My latest victim”

Since: Jul 10

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope that all here are getting better. With the Big Chill fallen upon us, I would prefer staying home and staying warm, and avoiding contact with folk (or where folk touch) that could make me sick.
Had car service scheduled so it was out and about for me today. Brrr and more brrr Tuesday. Hope the girls are well.
Lol. We are staying in a shelter. Their is no hope for us avoiding any bugs. I have personally bleached this entire house four times and it makes no difference. We are goodthough. It is better than where we were.

“McVeigh | Bundy bunch ”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Colorado Chick wrote:
Loooooove coming into El's front door..the aroma of fresh baked pastries and ten flavors of coffee brewing..
Intermingling it's MAGIC Spell over all who enter.. WOW!!
Hello, CC. sit ye down and join the chatter sometime! Savor the aromas and the tasting.

“McVeigh | Bundy bunch ”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
Hey Tony?! Is that UK newspaper going to sue Lance Armstrong to get the money back since he perjured himself?
The paper was slandered!!!
Good evening, Quinny! Well, there's the thing. The punishments he's already received is pertinent to the doping cheating.

The big picture of the Armstrong story includes more than that. This describes culpability and liability pertaining to his bullying business tactics by himself and his people.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20...

His break from that Livestrong Foundation was deemed necessary to preserve it from all of the above.

“McVeigh | Bundy bunch ”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

All in all: Armstrong set himself up to be above the law, and it's always seems to be borne out -- the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lance-armstrong-...

"At one point during the interview, he couldn't recall how many people he'd sued. Really. He not only didn't know the number, he couldn't even be sure when asked about specific individuals that his mighty, powerful legal team relentlessly tried to bury.

It's worth noting that many of the people he's sued through the years in an effort to protect his lies and glory were one-time close friends, roommates, teammates, business partners and associates. "

[Luke addition: Wetzel had previously written about those Armstrong and company squashed by lawsuits and threats in a article I linked in an earlier post]

"At one point Armstrong addressed Betsy Andreu, the wife of a former teammate Frankie Andreu, who testified that while lying in a hospital bed in 1996 Armstrong told his doctor that he had doped.

Over the years Lance and his henchman bullied and bruised Betsy relentlessly. They called her names. They tried to wipe her out. They, according to Betsy, blackballed her husband's career. She kept standing up and speaking out. There was even a voicemail from an Armstrong associate who said she hoped "somebody breaks a baseball bat over your head."

Lance knows he was terrible to Betsy so he said he called her the other day to begin making amends. You know for, among other things, calling her "crazy." He decided to tell Oprah about it, including what is apparently his idea of a sense of humor.

"I did call her crazy," he said. "I did. I did I think she'd be OK with me saying this, I said,'Listen, I called you crazy; I called you a bitch; I called you all of these things, but I never called you fat.' "

Then he smirked.

Now that's a novel way to gain forgiveness: make a fat joke about a woman on national television. "

"Across the spectrum there is fury and regret. Mike Anderson, a former personal assistant who claims Lance tried to ruin him, avoided watching the interview. Then he inadvertently was exposed to a replayed segment while waiting to comment on CNN.

"I didn't want to hear his voice ever again," Anderson said.

Fellow riders say they wish they'd never hooked on with him. Support staff claim they wish they'd never taken a job. Sponsors are lining up to sue. Journalists who carried his water for years are writing they wish they'd never bought the lie. "

******"He was, and likely remains, nothing but a machine of personal glorification, no concept of his real place in the world. Now that the truth is out, it's not about the cheating so much as it's about the way he fought dirty to protect the cheating. " *****[In the Wetzel article I posted previously, he addressed this idea about this is about the nastiness more than cheating when the sport is dirty now anyway ...]

"Consider Emma O'Reilly, an Irish massage therapist who began working for his team while in her 20s. She later told the truth about Lance and drugs. For that she's testified Team Armstrong responded by calling her a whore and a drunk. But Armstrong didn't stop there. No, he tried to sue into oblivion this woman of limited financial means.

What did Armstrong say of Emma? He couldn't remember if he even attempted legal action against her.

"To be honest Oprah," he chuckled lightly, "we sued so many people, I'm sure we did." "

“McVeigh | Bundy bunch ”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it is witch hunt that he brought upon himself. He was so ready to go to the courts to deny what he was actually doing - he was bullying and controlling towards all around him and now he wants to cry, "not fair" to his just punishment for bringing the sport into disrepute. I have a hatred of drugs in sport - destroys all that the point of the competion has.
I hear what you say about his charity work - but even that to a degree was self-serving. Personally, if the guy disappeared from the limelight, that would suit me fine. I am sorry that his behaviour is bound to damage what is a worthwhile charity - maybe he should have considered that. I would point out that our own Sir Bradley Wiggins doesn't have much good to say about him.
Agreed!

This 'scandal' is about way more than doping.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Boomer7 wrote:
All of this chatter about potatoes... Steak and fries tonight!
You guys started this...
LOL!
Works for me!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>Me, me (waves had wildly), I call them by their correct name - chips. But then, what I call a rubber is not quite what our American friends refer to as that!
Chips get dipped in French onion dip, French fries are good with burgers, hot dogs & battered deep fried fish!

“McVeigh | Bundy bunch ”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Hear Hear! A true Gent.
Well ... thank you m'lady! Last evening, I watched Downton Abbey Season 3 (hour 4, or episode 3 here). D.A. is must-see TV.

Second season of Call The Midwife starts here in March. OH, have you watched vids of Season 1, or have you done any reading about character sketches to get back-stories of them?

“McVeigh | Bundy bunch ”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
:)
i am a worrywart by nature, so just ignore me. lol
but.. in my defense only because i have no computer smarts and wouldnt know how to defend myself if need be.
but i trust everyone here in El's kitchen, the people i call "normal" - visit here..
lol

Ignore you ... no way! You're in the 'normal' group too!

Question

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignore you ... no way! You're in the 'normal' group too!
Enjoy talking to yourself much?

“McVeigh | Bundy bunch ”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL Quincy.
They are sad lyrics are they not, and the overall feeling that is
conveyed is the feeling of loneliness.
But as with all song lyrics, and poetry, the key is forming your own interpretation.
There are those who would say (those without a great degree of imagination it has to be said) that the line about keeping her face in ajar by the door..means just that, that she refuses to leave the house without make-up.
Then are those who would think it to mean that she puts on a cheerful demeanour fopr the world to see...to hid the pain of loneliness....
Father McKenzie could be literally wiping the dirt from his hands after flinging earth onto the coffin as it finds it's final resting place...
Or, he could be metaphorically 'wiping his hands of the whole affair'
as the phrase goes.
Buried in the Church along with her name...no descendants
You just have to go with what you yourself believe they story means.
There are times I feel bad about taking on the name of a person who was a real life individual...a young lady who served as a scullery maid in Liverpool...died young. I am intrigued at times to know a little more about her.
May I have a word,{{{ Cuz El }}}

This weekend I took a trip to historic England

http://www.pilotguides.com/tv_shows/globe_tre...

Included was a brief bit of a street presenter relating that Strawberry Fields was a Salvation Army children's home in Liverpool, England where John Lennon often played as a child. The Salvation Army band was a catalyst at that age to want to be in a band.
And a brief bit and scene about Stonehenge along the way to Glastonbury.

I have also seen (twice) a different episode of this program pertaining visits to Scotland, Wales, and England. I learned about shin-kicking contests! OUCH!!! Makes me wince.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Brighteyes9 wrote:
<quoted text>That's hilarious....what about Dickies. The kind of dickies that women would wear around their necks!? An older friend of ours as talking about the dickies that she used to wear and she wishes they ere still around. Before I found out hat she was talking about, I as laughing hysterically. Ms. El, Quinn, Grace and others, do you know of these dickies?
Yep. I remember dickies. I think they may have going out of style by the time I came around but I'm also pretty sure I know what they are and likely wore one way back when.

“McVeigh | Bundy bunch ”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Good Tuesday wishes, Kitchen-eers!

And warmth in all things.:)

Level 3

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Fries! But, we do have chips too -- home made and commercially made and packaged.
A versatile word .... can be slipped on in wet, sloppy weather for dry feet!
Galoshes! LOL

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes two...and can we say Krypteia calls them chips,
makes three....
haha..what would they make of us having a rubber on the end
of a pencil?
when people are being mean to a guy they might call him a pencil dick ... so maybe not out of line then?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Franko...life altering at the time, but it all works
out eventually. And you are quite right, it's something for
the media to discuss.
Hope all is well with you and yours.
was there ever an optoin to get something back through legal means??? Over here they have large groups get together and do a "class action suit" so their combined power is enough to take on those who wronged them. I am sure this can be done in the UK?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21,921 - 21,940 of33,500
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••