Jan 8, 2013

Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
The line in my last post should have been
"you have always been a pleasant decent poster
here"
Don't worry about what you said,
it just shows the human side of you..
as, I'm sure Tony will have understood afterwards...
We've all been 'there' one time or other.
Wishing you a pleasant week up ahead,D -
we have had the most clement weather
right thru' from Christmas,
but, from today's forecast ..
'Our honeymoon is over' lol
Much colder weather on it's way(:
It is pouring rain and it is going to continue for the next 2 days

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Afternoon ER. There are captive groups of woles in the UK and if I recall there was some talk of re-introducing them into the wild, but don't think it's happend. Some more info here:
http://ukwct.org.uk/
Wolves have been reintroduced here in America in many areas and the rancher sure hate it. Hard enough to make a living without this predator taking down stock

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
Sometimes, just sometimes, serendipity strikes. I had just concluded the trip to the States wasn't going to happen - for a variety of reasons. A girlfriend from many years ago, with whom I'm still in touch, emailed me on another matter. I took a while to reply as hoped to be able to tell her I'd link up with her and her husband if I visited. Replied to her mail, mentioning this fact.
Here's the whammy - she can get me standby tickets with a certain US carrier - she used to be a trolley dolly for TWA in a past life and she still gets this perk - for friends as well. So come March/April, it's all on again - they even have a time share that includes ski lodges. Have I died and gone to heaven?!
Good for you mate :)

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Poole, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>It is pouring rain and it is going to continue for the next 2 days
Don't do the usual trick of sending it our way, we've had quite enough of it to last this winter! OH NO, I'm posting about the weather!

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't do the usual trick of sending it our way, we've had quite enough of it to last this winter! OH NO, I'm posting about the weather!
We really need it. I live on a lake that should be full this time of year and it is very very low

“defusing Bundy mind-bombs ”

Since: Nov 09

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Us the wedding this year ?
Yes indeed ... in September.

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know Highclere Castle, near to Newbury (from before it was used in Downton)- took the catering wagon there a couple of times for horse shows. Had the chance to wander around the property - it is as impressive as it appears to be in Downton. It is the home of the Earl of Carnarvon, whose fore-bearer (grandfather or great grandfather, can't rmember which) was an Egyptologist who with Howard Carter found Tutankhamun's tomb in 1922. His death was the start of the rumour of a curse on the tomb - load of claptrap in my humble historical opinion.
With the extermination of the wolf population in England, Wales and Scotland in the 18th century, there are no natural predators for deer in the UK. Sadly, this means culling, for their numbers outgrow the land available to support them. Many were introduced by the landed classes form the 17th century onwards as they thought it trendy to have a herd of deer grazing in their parks. Needless to say, some escaped. In passing, they are far more destructive to vegetation than rabbits - in Scotland, they have huge high fences (as deer can jump pretty high) to limit their roaming. On the other hand - I love vension!
Spencer family own Althorp House in Northamptonshire. Recently, Diana's brother , the Earl of Spencer, had to sell off rather a lot of the family's goodies:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12933... .
Good show: your post, and the program. Past generations were overviewed and some time was spent on the one that bank-rolled Carter's expedition. That one was bitten by a mosquito and died a little bit later. Supposedly at the same time, a pet dog back at the castle suddenly howled and died. A hobby of the current owner is obtain or craft replicas of some of the dig's treasure to hoard in the "basement".

A round of major repairs to the castle in recent years was just completed prior to filming the program. Renovation of the Temple of Diana (I think), a folly on the estate was pending. The figure of $1 million dollars (I don't remember them stating pounds) was given as annual maintenance expenditures for the estate. It was not clear if that included salaries of estate staff. The estate was once larger than the 5,000 acres previously posted. Parcels have been sold off over time.

Revenues are generated from parties, weddings,'let' for music, TV, and film productions I gather.

Looking forward for the other installments of this series: Secrets of the Manor House.

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

eleanorigby wrote:
Have a few things to attend to this afternoon, so will take my leave for today.
A very thoughtful gift GRACE....enjoy.
DENNY...P not at his best today, so taken a rain-check. The weather is against it too as I am not
fond of the A55 at the best of times.
Hello there Boomer...Brighteyes...
Sorry to read that Mr. P is a little "puny" today, and the weather wasn't a go either.

have the best evening as can be,{{{ Cuz El }}}

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
Sometimes, just sometimes, serendipity strikes. I had just concluded the trip to the States wasn't going to happen - for a variety of reasons. A girlfriend from many years ago, with whom I'm still in touch, emailed me on another matter. I took a while to reply as hoped to be able to tell her I'd link up with her and her husband if I visited. Replied to her mail, mentioning this fact.
Here's the whammy - she can get me standby tickets with a certain US carrier - she used to be a trolley dolly for TWA in a past life and she still gets this perk - for friends as well. So come March/April, it's all on again - they even have a time share that includes ski lodges. Have I died and gone to heaven?!
'Bout like a lottery winner! Congrats on the luck, Tony.

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

tallyho wrote:
thanks all ...
The loss of another friend is a sad thing to read. May he R.I.P. and you have comfort in that.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>We do have a great group here. I love to exchange thoughts and try to never take things personal. I remember a few years ago I made a remark to Tony that I wish I could take back :) My bad
I would second what El said - you are a decent, kind good humored poster. I actually enjoy some of our banter :)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Judged:

tony1003 wrote:

Karma baby! It's 'cause you're a nice guy Tony!!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>It is pouring rain and it is going to continue for the next 2 days
Good Heavens! It was 40 degrees and spring like balmy here today and supposed to reach 60 by the weekend. Most definitely not January weather in Chicago.

No wonder the flu is running rampant here.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>Don't do the usual trick of sending it our way, we've had quite enough of it to last this winter! OH NO, I'm posting about the weather!
Gasp! How could you Tony?!
;-)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>We really need it. I live on a lake that should be full this time of year and it is very very low
Happened up here last summer. Boss was gonna take us all out his boat but couldn't get it off the lift to float the levels were so low.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post said it all 'IN ONE'..
and thanks for that...
Hope you got over Christmas ok..
after the recent loss of your dearest Mom..
they say the first year is the hardest...
Better days ahead, dear friend.
Sincere wishes PFfff.
thanks Grace.
im ok, it was different of course, but i know in my heart shes in a better place because life as she knew it - just wasnt there for her anymore. im lucky to have had her in my life for so long...
:}

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Morning PFfff....I didn't know...I am most terribly
sorry to hear. Sometimes a blessing...
TY

“June”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
thanks Grace.
im ok, it was different of course, but i know in my heart shes in a better place because life as she knew it - just wasnt there for her anymore. im lucky to have had her in my life for so long...
:}
That is a very fine way to look at it,
and ... no one can ever steal
'the memories'

Regards..

“June”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

I just made a new thread.

'The 2013 Offbeat Story'

love if you felt like
giving it a go..

but NO pressure to do so(:

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Good morning all my friends. Still raining here. I took all 3 dogs in to the groomers. That will be $175 but thet sure are pretty when they come home. I had them brush there teeth too :)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21,041 - 21,060 of34,738
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••