“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Poole, UK

#21126 Jan 4, 2013
Fisherman 808 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Austrian" does kind of ring a bell, she might have said I'm probably part Austrian.
Which rings another bell-'Hitler'...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler
"...Austrian born..."
What if I'm related to Hitler? lol
As long as your surname isn't Schickelgruber, you're probably safe!

In Germany,'von' originally was reserved for the Prussian minor aristocracy prior to the unification in January 1871. Given from then until the 1930s, the Prussians dominated the military and the civil service throughout the united country, geographically it spread beyond the original area. It also occurred amongst the Austrian nobility prior to its abolition in 1919. "Graf von" was higher, not sure where it went after than!

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Poole, UK

#21127 Jan 4, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
June through September is a much better time of year to visit-- weather and activity wise -- then the three of you could meet in the middle and see Chicago. I know all the good restaurants and places to go....
Problem is that's my busy time with business - so have to try to do it in the quieter months. Am also hoping to grab a few days skiing in the north of WI as there are a couple of ski areas up there.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Poole, UK

#21128 Jan 4, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
True. There is a lot to be said for the Liberal Democrats in
actual fact, and this is a problem costing the NHS dearly, when
perhaps patients with severe conditions through no fault of their
own, are denied the life-saving drugs due to the cost.
I hate to admit to it but it seems somebody HAS to tell us how to
live our lives, if we haven't the common sense to work it out
for ourselves.
We read of people who have worked all their lives, and at the end of the
day are affected by, let's say' cancer, and are refused the necessary drugs if they live beyond the post code (zip) where the drugs are allowed.
Consequently I applaud the NHS for refusing on occasions, to grant heart surgery to smokers, and/or people who are obese. It is self-inflicted after all and quite pointless if they carry on in that vein.
Morning ER.

I'm reminded of George Best - ruined his liver by drinking, had a transplant, carried on with his drinking and died. Guess he must have believed he was immortal!

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#21129 Jan 4, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Was wondering if the links above came through ok??
thanks.
here if the link is high lighted , then it is connected ,,for me it is a blue print as verses my standard black text

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#21130 Jan 4, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure the man in the street thinks very much about it - it wasn't big news over here as it was in the States, although it was covered. Difficult one - as usual religious extremists got the wrong target imo, which is often the case. It was unfortunate there weren't US Marines in any number there - guess the State Department assessed it as a low risk embassy - they were wrong, mistakes do get made. Given the propensity of the hard-core Muslim extremist element to use techniques like suicide bombs, not sure their presence would have prevented it - look at the 1983 attack on the Marine base in Beirut by Hezbollah. I think it's unfair to blame Reagan for that one, just as blaming Obama for this one isn't right. Decisions about manning levels are taken down the chain of command.
good morning Capt. i was embassy duty for a short [ Spanish Morocco] you have to knew that we MARINES are under the embassy's control ... and usually a small force of 15-20

like the palace guard we look good , but

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#21131 Jan 4, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
'von' is also found in names of Austrians.
i just recently found out my grandfather was born in Austria and not Poland like we were told. in fact it was said his name was Anthony but it turned out his name was Antoni. so this explains why im always so confused! i dont know who the heck i am. lol
i googled his name and came onto that ancester site and got that little bit of info from that. im sure its him because the names of his children and spouse are the same, i was curious because i always thought i'd like to see Poland but didnt even know what area they were from (still don't of course) i find it all so interesting and would like to know more but im too cheap to spend the money on that site. lol
:)
Happy New Year Luke!

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Poole, UK

#21132 Jan 4, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
good morning Capt. i was embassy duty for a short [ Spanish Morocco] you have to knew that we MARINES are under the embassy's control ... and usually a small force of 15-20
like the palace guard we look good , but
Morning Tally - yes, at best it is a nominal presence on diplomatic duty in any context. In 1982, Naval Party 8901 in the Falklands was a nominal force which is partly why the Argies thought we weren't interested in the islands. Now we have to keep significant forces there.

“MEOW!”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

#21133 Jan 4, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Morning ER.
I'm reminded of George Best - ruined his liver by drinking, had a transplant, carried on with his drinking and died. Guess he must have believed he was immortal!
Morning Tony...

I know. George Best....one of the best footballers of all time,
tragic. Alex Higgins another, in his case a World Snooker Champion.
Dreadful losses. All the sadder about George, as he was given a
chance.
Makes me think in terms of individuals...would I have applauded any
surgeon's decision to withold surgery on any of these two men, knowing
they would possibly slide back to their old habits.
No, I would not.
It is is one thing in theory and another in reality.

PFfff...you think you're confused? lol

“MEOW!”

Manchester, UK

#21134 Jan 4, 2013
Morning All,

Lunchtime beckons. Am popping Jacket Potatoes into
the microwave, all prepared by McCain's...7 mins
for two, can't be bad. Will fill with cottage cheese
in order to regain my sylph like figure. haha

Nice morning here, mild and dry..

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#21135 Jan 4, 2013
Fisherman 808 wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for the nice thought.
The link didn't work, so I looked him up.
The Von Trapps were from Austria.
Did see some pictures of Austrians that looked like my Grandma. She was not religious at all, and it looked like there were quite a few atheist Austrians.
Does this ancestry topic interest you?
Maybe some day they will be able to tell through DNA exactly our backgrounds. Apparently memory and stories don't work too good.
The Sound of Music- Edelweiss.

The topic interests me, but not as much some. As mentioned a while back on this thread, in 1970

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#21136 Jan 4, 2013
Hey Fish! I started a post and lost it! POOF!! A long one too. My interest in genealogy is limited. However, in 1970 my then 73 year old grandmother traced her and my grandfather's lines - Baumann/Quinn - back as far as the original tribes in Ireland. Not bad when all she had was a German Bible and Berlitz. The 'tree' was a Christmas gift to my mom and aunts and uncles.

Chicago is fortunate to have one of the largest collections of materials at the Newberry Library. It even offers free access to all of the websites you have to pay for when home.

http://www.newberry.org/

Sent from my iPhone

“MEOW!”

Manchester, UK

#21137 Jan 4, 2013
Wildbluerose wrote:
Hi Lady Eleanor...
Just stopping by to wish you a day filled with Sunshine, Laughter and Love...
I'm waiting on my Sister to get here so we can go shopping...
Time to replinish the food supply... Mine and the Packs...
:o)
I hope that no matter what you do today that you will have fun and enjoy yourself...
Sending you all of my warmest wishes....
((Love-n-Hugs))
@}-'--,---
'Afternoon Dear Rose...and of course the very same wished for you.
Yesterday wasn't so much fun, certainly not for the kitty, lol, but
she was good as gold for the Vet, she is a little tyrant at home but putty in his hands. Not surprising really, he is a good lookin' Scot!
Very caring and has all the time in the world for the animals....
Going shopping then...you ladies have fun and bag some good bargains...
Being so rural here, I rushed in the store for the few bits I needed
on the way home last night, it was also a break from driving in the rush hour traffic, there was nothing on the road going, manic coming back in the dark.
Have been doing some work in the garden this morning...I had forgotten I had ordered some Crosomia early in the year, got an e-mail to say they are arriving late January, so had to prapre a border. I have forgotten which variety so it will be a surprise!
Warmest wishes to you my friend....<3
Love-n-Hugs

“MEOW!”

Manchester, UK

#21138 Jan 4, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
Hey Fish! I started a post and lost it! POOF!! A long one too. My interest in genealogy is limited. However, in 1970 my then 73 year old grandmother traced her and my grandfather's lines - Baumann/Quinn - back as far as the original tribes in Ireland. Not bad when all she had was a German Bible and Berlitz. The 'tree' was a Christmas gift to my mom and aunts and uncles.
Chicago is fortunate to have one of the largest collections of materials at the Newberry Library. It even offers free access to all of the websites you have to pay for when home.
http://www.newberry.org/
Sent from my iPhone
That is an amazing website Quincy, I will keep that link for reference.

Your grandmother did well..it wasn't easy before the internet, I had
started researching then and went quite far back using Family History Societies where members helped each other, but found that b.m.d certs were vital for confirming 'ownership'.
The libraries here now offer free access to the normally pricey websites..I miss the wonderful library I frequently visited back home though, it had it all, huge collection of books, both for renting and reference, a theatre, a cafe...it was my haunt as a teenager, I used to go there to read Beaudelaire, before going to the Jazz Club round the corner.

“MEOW!”

Manchester, UK

#21139 Jan 4, 2013
Fisherman 808 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Austrian" does kind of ring a bell, she might have said I'm probably part Austrian.
Which rings another bell-'Hitler'...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler
"...Austrian born..."
What if I'm related to Hitler? lol
You never can tell! lol

I had the priveledge of working with both Austrians
and Germans when I appeared as an extra in the
Oberammergau Passion Play.
At first there was much 'clicking of heels' as we
stood in the wings waiting to go on stage...
Overcame that and became firm friends, in fact, we all cried on
the last night at having to part. No, I don't think it was out of
relief, hahaha

Little story. I was caught talking on stage and the producer sacked me.

There were Austrians, Germans, and English in the comapny.

Guess who came out in sympathy with me, and of course without them
the 'show' could not go on.

It was the Germans, the stars of the performance. Each and every
one refused to carry on until I was reinstated.

I apologised profusely to the producer in front of everybody to save his face, as after all he was right to take the stand he did, he then reinstated me. I will never forget that.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

#21140 Jan 4, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure the man in the street thinks very much about it - it wasn't big news over here as it was in the States, although it was covered. Difficult one - as usual religious extremists got the wrong target imo, which is often the case. It was unfortunate there weren't US Marines in any number there - guess the State Department assessed it as a low risk embassy - they were wrong, mistakes do get made. Given the propensity of the hard-core Muslim extremist element to use techniques like suicide bombs, not sure their presence would have prevented it - look at the 1983 attack on the Marine base in Beirut by Hezbollah. I think it's unfair to blame Reagan for that one, just as blaming Obama for this one isn't right. Decisions about manning levels are taken down the chain of command.
The problem is the lie Obama told before the election about the cause being a you tube video. They told this lie for about 2 weeks. Now the average person who doesn't pay much attention believed the lie. The media did not cover the story or follow up on the cover up. I hate that the media is so bias. Do you see much difference in the BBC and SKY in their reporting. I remember when our friend in England didn't think we were in Baghdad because that is the way BBC reported it while we were watching it on TV. All I want is the truth out there

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#21141 Jan 4, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
True. There is a lot to be said for the Liberal Democrats in
actual fact, and this is a problem costing the NHS dearly, when
perhaps patients with severe conditions through no fault of their
own, are denied the life-saving drugs due to the cost.
I hate to admit to it but it seems somebody HAS to tell us how to
live our lives, if we haven't the common sense to work it out
for ourselves.
We read of people who have worked all their lives, and at the end of the
day are affected by, let's say' cancer, and are refused the necessary drugs if they live beyond the post code (zip) where the drugs are allowed.
Consequently I applaud the NHS for refusing on occasions, to grant heart surgery to smokers, and/or people who are obese. It is self-inflicted after all and quite pointless if they carry on in that vein.
NICE isn't so nice afterall. We fear the same thing with Obama care. First rate health care is expensive. I just don't think the government does anything very well

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#21142 Jan 4, 2013
http://www.jeffmainstreet.org/events/events-c...

Hey Boomer and He Who Speaks the Deer --- perhaps a jaunt in Jeffersonville In?

Deer Whisperer, are you familiar with Schimpf's Confectionery??

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

#21143 Jan 4, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
http://www.jeffmainstreet.org/ events/events-calendar.html

I will look it up.
This could be fun!

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#21144 Jan 4, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
http://www.jeffmainstreet.org/events/events-c...
How are you this fine day Mighty Quinn :) Do you know what a sugar shack is?

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#21145 Jan 4, 2013
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>I will look it up.
This could be fun!
I understand its actually close to Louisville but probably not all the far from Columbus. You're on the western side of Ohio, correct? This is I think where IN borders OH & KY.

Check out www.schinpffs.com . I work with a lady whose daughter married into the family who owns the confectionery. I guess it's quite well known out that way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Things that drive you crazy (Jan '10) 3 min DILF 4,104
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 5 min Spirit67_ 1,635
Ebola in America 6 min Kid_Tomorrow 574
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 6 min Spirit67_ 6,389
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 min Chimney1 122,033
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 7 min Hoosier Hillbilly 29,844
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 8 min Spirit67_ 6,336
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 10 min Spirit67_ 22,431
True or False Game 28 min DILF 574
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Wolftracks 149,445
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 5 hr Katie 6,929
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 7 hr Christ Allah Mighty 6,949

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE