Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

To all of the kitchen folk, Happy New Year! May peace, love, and happiness grace 2013!
BTW - That invite is open to all who can get here.

“defusing Bundy mind-bombs ”

Since: Nov 09

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

franko wrote:
<quoted text>on this I agree 100%....
Idle chit chat I can have with the clerk at the coffee shop while i order ... I come to Topix to dsicuss interesting things and get a world view ... this is one reason why EL's thread is great, it has poeple posting from the UK and provides a different insight into world matters from what the North American media presents. Yet the folk here are reasonable and able to discuss things without getting into some silly arguement.
agree in FULL with discussing neat and interesting things and in a world view...

..."this is one reason why EL's thread is great, it has poeple posting from the UK and provides a different insight into world matters from what the North American media presents. Yet the folk here are reasonable and able to discuss things without getting into some silly arguement. "

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

franko wrote:
<quoted text>In short, if we drag on the same subject too long and too passionately, and to many people jump on the bandwagon, and thus overtake the thread, we might alienate the regulars, in particular those not inclined to get involved in said discussions?
You have a good point ... and one for all of us to keep in mind ... there is a point when a dead horse was already dead a week ago ...
The counterpoint to this being .. that it is the varied and interesting discusions we have hear that make El's Kitchen unique and entertaining ... so we should not lose that aspect of the thread entirely.
Shared ground for us all here, yes!

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Boomer7 wrote:
To all of the kitchen folk, Happy New Year! May peace, love, and happiness grace 2013!
BTW - That invite is open to all who can get here.
Thank you Boomer. And Happy New Year and all grace to you and Mrs. Boomer!

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

from Robt. Burns' verses:

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind ?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne ?

For auld lang syne, my jo,
for auld lang syne,
well tak a cup o kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

January -- from Janus, the god with two faces looking back and looking forward -- endings, transitions, beginnings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janus

HAPPY NEW YEAR and blessings to each and every one.

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you Boomer. And Happy New Year and all grace to you and Mrs. Boomer!
Thank you Deer. All the best to you and yours!
Open invite for lunch in Columbus, Ohio.
2013, peace, love, and harmony.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>I think that is why parents gave that to us. Just to watch our face :)
That explains it!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

franko wrote:
<quoted text>time for them to take a page out of the dutch book on how to manage dykes? After all, the Netherlands have land dozens of times that area also 10 to 15 feet below sea level .... but they have a dyke system that far surpasses anything anyone else has in cost but also in capability.
I've seen on many an engineering program on public television just that suggestion.....that the US would do well to learn that system. As Denny mentioned, New Orleans is a 'bathtub' below sea level and to build so much there was pretty irresponsible to begin with.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

franko wrote:
<quoted text>I remember many years ago I used to sell computers. I had sold 4 of them to a small law firm that employed about a dozen people ... all talk done by phone and fax and email....

After 3 years I got to meet the head of the law firm, who I respected very much ... turns out he was 4' 10" tall and needed a wheel chair ... I bet anyone seeing him and not knowing anything about him would have presumed he was dumber than a doorknob ....
My point exactly. I cannot speak to other countries and cultures but the American public needs to be seriously educated about PWDs (people with disabilities) and individuals with mental illness. There us so much uninformed ignorance, bias, and prejudice based on unrealistic stereotypes. I imagine I must be more sensitive to the issues because of my hearing loss.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Isn't that great. Earlier we were talking about 47% pay no federal income tax. At least in England everyone pays tax which is fair. We don't have a VAT. I hate to say this because I hate tax but we are not paying enough tax when you consider wat we spend. We spend about 42% of our GDP and tax about 24%. You know who is the biggest buyer of US treasury notes? We are. The federal reserve buys our debt with money they create out of thin air. No nation can continue doing that.
Which reminds me, why should people get tax deductions for having children? Just sayin'.......

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>Which reminds me, why should people get tax deductions for having children? Just sayin'.......
Almost midnight in your zone...
Yah!
My resolution for you is no more Eskimo jokes.
Peace.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>I favor repeal of federal income tax and going to a sales tax or a VAT tax. If we don't repeal income tax we will wind up with both the way England does. Corporation don't really pay tax. They just add the cost of tax to the cost of their product and the consumer pays the tax. We then find good we make can not compete on the world market. We have a spending problem not a tax problem. The people want everything free from the government and the government doesn't have the courage to raise tax to the same level of spending so we borrow and devalue our currency
Hmmm .. the VAT or sales tax means that every citizen is taxed the same rate.. so it's much like a flat tax .... but of course the rich buy more and more expensive things so this would ensure they pay more tax because it is based on expenditure.

How do you feel about a luxury tax? for example .. if someone buys a used car the tax is 5%. If they buy a new car under $20,000 they pay 8%. If they buy a new car worth over $50,000 they pay 10%, also for boats, campers, RV's and other items almost exclusivley bought by the rich?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

tallyho wrote:
happy new year .....should be 12:00 yes
Here on the west coast it is only 8PM but Happy New YEAR to all you easterners!!!!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen on many an engineering program on public television just that suggestion.....that the US would do well to learn that system. As Denny mentioned, New Orleans is a 'bathtub' below sea level and to build so much there was pretty irresponsible to begin with.
I believe that part of the Dutch system creates numerous compartments ... so if one gets flooded, the next one is still safe ... sort of like a honeycomb when seen from above....

If ocean water levels really do start to rise and there seems to be no stopping it... then the entire coastline of all continents will need to be designed that way. I read somewhere if ocean levels rise by 30 feet, nearly 20% of all land area will be under water.

In the USA, many coastal cities will be partially or fully underwater ....

Also those dykes will need to go upriver along all rivers, especially the mIssissipi ... I believe that could go over 500 miles inland ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
My point exactly. I cannot speak to other countries and cultures but the American public needs to be seriously educated about PWDs (people with disabilities) and individuals with mental illness. There us so much uninformed ignorance, bias, and prejudice based on unrealistic stereotypes. I imagine I must be more sensitive to the issues because of my hearing loss.
I'm sure you are ... but someone like you could also be a voice on behalf of others ... as you are doing right here ... it starts with awarness ....

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>Almost midnight in your zone...
Yah!
My resolution for you is no more Eskimo jokes.
Peace.
Happy new year to you and the generous Mrs Boomer. Be well & stay well!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

Judged:

franko wrote:
<quoted text>Hmmm .. the VAT or sales tax means that every citizen is taxed the same rate.. so it's much like a flat tax .... but of course the rich buy more and more expensive things so this would ensure they pay more tax because it is based on expenditure.

How do you feel about a luxury tax? for example .. if someone buys a used car the tax is 5%. If they buy a new car under $20,000 they pay 8%. If they buy a new car worth over $50,000 they pay 10%, also for boats, campers, RV's and other items almost exclusivley bought by the rich?
Not to mention that they still pay the sales tax for the county/city I which they live no matter where they purchase it. At least in IL. I work in Lake County which is 2% less sales tax than Cook County where I live. I can buy a car in Lake but still have to pay Cook sales tax rate.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

franko wrote:
<quoted text>Here on the west coast it is only 8PM but Happy New YEAR to all you easterners!!!!
And a happy new year to you dear Franko.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

franko wrote:
<quoted text>I believe that part of the Dutch system creates numerous compartments ... so if one gets flooded, the next one is still safe ... sort of like a honeycomb when seen from above....

If ocean water levels really do start to rise and there seems to be no stopping it... then the entire coastline of all continents will need to be designed that way. I read somewhere if ocean levels rise by 30 feet, nearly 20% of all land area will be under water.

In the USA, many coastal cities will be partially or fully underwater ....

Also those dykes will need to go upriver along all rivers, especially the mIssissipi ... I believe that could go over 500 miles inland ...
Doesn't the Dutch system also comprise of locks as well to release the water and pressure when levels rise? Chicago has a lock system as the river flows into Lake Michigan.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2012

franko wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure you are ... but someone like you could also be a voice on behalf of others ... as you are doing right here ... it starts with awarness ....
I hadn't thought of it that way....thank you..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 20,541 - 20,560 of34,751
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••