El's Kitchen

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

#20786 Dec 31, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I know a guy who was running a successful company and making $200,000 a year ... he was able to set up a family trust fund (available in canada) and he could claim nearly everything they bought as an expense under that fund .. it essentially allowed him to pay the taxes most poeple do based on $40,000 earnings .... that fund is not possible for someone with income under $100,000 to set up or claim ... it is a rich man;s tax evasion loophole ... it was discontinued about a decade ago.
The very politicians who want people to pay their fair share take every advantage they can to pay as little as possible. The treasury secretary cheated on his taxes. Charlie Rangle cheated on his taxes and didn't claim all his income. Politicians aren't born they are excreted :)

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#20787 Dec 31, 2012
thought:
Looking back on the months gone by,
As a new year starts and an old one ends,
I contemplate what brought us joy,
And I think of our loved ones and our friends.

Recalling all the happy times,
Remembering how they enriched our lives,
I reflect upon who really counts,
As the fresh and bright new year arrives.

EVEN YOU VALERIA

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20788 Dec 31, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Interestingly, I worked with a Canadienn (you may recall I mentioned Speedy Muffler), she paid into the US social security system, moved back to Canada, and I doubt she's collecting what she put into the system (she's well over the US retirement age). Wonder who gets that money.
The well to do will always have loopholes to pay less while those with less will always pay more .... after all it's usually the well to do who are in power and make the rules.
Yes Mighty Quinn and the politicians play to the poor because there more of them. God loved the poor, he made so many of them. He must have been wild about the stupid :)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20789 Dec 31, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>I think people can discuss things they disagree on and still be very good friends. It beats talking about the weather :)
We may as well watch paint dry :)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20790 Dec 31, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>The city has just got to big. People live in areas that are 12 foot below sea level. People there have always said some day the big one will come.
And what of the condition of the levies ignored by the Army Corps of Engineers and fed funding? Yet another seriously ignored infrastructure problem ignored by politicians.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20791 Dec 31, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Yes Mighty Quinn and the politicians play to the poor because there more of them. God loved the poor, he made so many of them. He must have been wild about the stupid :)
Excuse me? You didn't just call me stupid did you?

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20793 Dec 31, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
And what of the condition of the levies ignored by the Army Corps of Engineers and fed funding? Yet another seriously ignored infrastructure problem ignored by politicians.
I am not sure but I think they had local levie boards. Just another mis use of funds. While we are looking at that financial cliffs. The congress gave their self a raise and federal works got raised too. Government workes make far more than private sector jobs :)

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20794 Dec 31, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me? You didn't just call me stupid did you?
LOL No I would never do that. It is just a funny saying.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20795 Dec 31, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
And to suggest that people who are poor are stupid is rather offensive. Have you heard of job discrimination?
Quinn you read me to deep. The poor may or may not be stupid. The rich probably are not stupid or they don't stay rich very long. People who win lotteries often become poor again very soon. Life is about making good choices and good timing. I have been poor and rich. Rich is better :)I just hope my last check bounces

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

#20796 Dec 31, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>And to suggest that people who are poor are stupid is rather offensive. Have you heard of job discrimination?
Thanks for the heads up on the fish! I checked it on the web and we are good to go!!
Grocery for cream cheese and bagels.
Champagne at 2359. Cheers.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20797 Dec 31, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
And to suggest that people who are poor are stupid is rather offensive. Have you heard of job discrimination?
Discrimination is an interesting subject. Blacks who move to America from the Caribbean make more than the average white. People from other countries see opportunity all around them and reach the American dream . For years I sold high end homes and I was amazed at the number I sold to people who were born in other countries.

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

Since: Feb 08

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

#20798 Dec 31, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Good resolutions Flower. Mine are to continue to eat healthily,
(just munching on a dark chocolate with a stem ginger filling as I speak) haha...walk more, take a bus rather than always using the car, makes sense as travel is free for my age-group...and...read more. Luvya...<3
Good afternoon, Lady El ... sounds like a good plan and one easily to carry out ... Not at all difficult ... I stayed on my plan very easily last year and just carry on in 2013 ... It was a very busy weekend and so this week I'm looking to recover ... May you have a festive celebration this New Years eve and may it be a quiet one whichever you desire ... if it's a rowdy one, then that's all good as well, lol ... It's been good knowing you all these years and look forward to more great years ... Sending you love, warm and fuzzy hugs and peaceful vibes your way! FC <3 ...

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20799 Dec 31, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the heads up on the fish! I checked it on the web and we are good to go!!
Grocery for cream cheese and bagels.
Champagne at 2359. Cheers.
Enjoy the bubbly :)

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

#20800 Dec 31, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
thumbs up and same wished for your Friday!
Good Monday Deer Luke! I had many a post or two exchanged with dear TL last night ... it was fun ... I'm sure she passed along a healthy hello on to you from me as she promised ... Wishing you and TL a very Happy New Year and may 2013 be a very blessed one for all of us ... We just know it's going to be the best ... Take care, be safe and stay sweet! FC <3 ...

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

#20801 Dec 31, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Watched the Kennedy awards while yapping with Paula on the phone (she was tuned in also). We thought Plant got a little moved and teary too during Heart's performance. WAsn't that Jason (?) Boneham on drums? Have seen clips of a 2007 reunion gig LZ did and John Boneham's son played drums then. Plant and the deceased Boneham were childhood chums, I think.
Hello again, Deer Luke ... Yes, that was Jason Bonham on drums, the son of the late John Bonham ... it's great to see him carry on the music legacy of John ...

Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart did a beautiful rendition of Stairway to Heaven ... The whole time during the recognition of LZ's to the Kennedy Awards Robert Plant just looked "off" ... something ... just didn't have a sparkle to him or something that I couldn't pinpoint where the other two seemed to be having fun ... at close of the Heart song he had tears in his eyes and became emotional so that it brought tears to mine ... No telling what what in his head ... I can certainly eye out body language but I cannot read minds ... I hope he's okay in his heart ... I pray for him anyway!...

Buddy Guy's dedication rocked ... I loved it ... well, it's no secret I LOVE the blues ... Tracy Chapman really surprised me, well, no not really as she is very talented ... but nobody does it better than Bonnie ... Enjoy your day, Luke ... Luvs ya, FC <3 ...

TRACY CHAPMAN ~ HOUND DOG ...

love the harmonica ... is that Kim Wilson from the Fabulouse Thunderbirds?????...

BONNIE RAITT ~ SWEET HOME CHICAGO ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Gotta love that smile on Buddy Guy ... now I got a big ole Texas smile ...

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

#20802 Dec 31, 2012
Quinny, Franco, Tony, Denny, Tally and all the regulars ... Wishing yall a Happy New Year! Hope it's the best of the best ... Celebrate in fashion and be safe! Watch of for the other guy who may not have given up his keys ... Call a taxi ... The life you save may be your own ... 2013 is fast approching ... Have fun~FC <3 ...

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

#20803 Dec 31, 2012
Oh, and Lady El ... Did you get the chance to watch JACK REACHER film?... do tell, lol ... <3 <3 <3 ...

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20804 Dec 31, 2012
Flower-Child wrote:
<quoted text>
Good afternoon, Lady El ... sounds like a good plan and one easily to carry out ... Not at all difficult ... I stayed on my plan very easily last year and just carry on in 2013 ... It was a very busy weekend and so this week I'm looking to recover ... May you have a festive celebration this New Years eve and may it be a quiet one whichever you desire ... if it's a rowdy one, then that's all good as well, lol ... It's been good knowing you all these years and look forward to more great years ... Sending you love, warm and fuzzy hugs and peaceful vibes your way! FC <3 ...
Good morning sweet Flower. On New Years eve I party all night long. Of course I use England as my new year time. So at 6:00 our time it is midnight in London :)

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20807 Dec 31, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Discrimination goes well beyond the color of one's skin. I am deaf, not stupid. I cannot tell you how many people I've worked with who have treated me as if I were stupid because of my lack of hearing. If you worked for someone else, at your age they would phase you out for younger & prettier - I've seen it happen to friends.
It would only be a fool who would think you are stupid. I think lots of people just don't understand the best way to communicate with you and they wind up doing something that is insulting. You are one of my favorite posters Mighty Quinn

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#20808 Dec 31, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually we did discuss the down and dirty .......... getting to Sandy Hook, guns and this country's lack of discussion about and for the mentally ill. I'm not bringing this up here again to rehash the topic, merely answering your question that yes such topics were discussed at my family holiday gathering.......and no one drew blood, we were enlightened.
Oh very good, and surely it should be so, and definitely is a "must" about ill-addressed or un-addressed mental health issues among the populace toward acting on those issues. My allusion to the family holiday feast table was allegorical and figurative. At those times for close relatives and friends together at the dinner table, there is a finite setting and time for participating or listening to informed ( or not) exchanges of ideology, particularly entrenched ones, between cousin Terry, Aunt Frieda, and dad -- and the gang; OR, possibly Uncle Fred will reveal explicit details (unless tactfully thwarted by spouse or offspring) about his colonoscopy, or about graphic procedures and bodily functions relating to post-operative major surgery.
My counterpoint is this:
That is not exactly the environment here. Topical events ought to be recognized and discussed, I agree. But who among us is the arbiter of how many qualifies to continually counter-discuss another's ideology or demagoguery? "Free reign" you think; "the more the parrier", as it were?
First post about the Sandy Hook school tragedy. Because of no expression of empathy and compassion, I did
parry the gun show comment (since I've seen it before) with gun show until I self-moderated out of respect for the thread and Pretty Feet's posts from her circumstances.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/weird/TTJVITJ...
I strive to moderate myself, although certainly do counter some posts I feel compelled to. Any inkling on the factor of exponential growth in the number of posts to fill thread pages in "debating" perfidious snake-oil dogma by the addition of each poster who is compelled to actively and persistently participate in same? A recent visitor here (not posting on weekends to my knowledge) may or may not return, but hinted at his inclination to counter ideology with *some* persistence. How many other partisans (either) will be attracted?
Who among us (besides the moderators -- and ourselves) is the arbiter of how thread-newbies should post? I don't invoke the idioms of "idiot" or " 'tard", etc, but many do from "brain-laziness", personality and inclination. For me, not posting is the better option than that.
To that end, "the more the parrier" will result in oh so similarity to quite a few threads and a point where long-time thread regulars will think or express: "whoa, what the hell happened here?" , some will quit participating, and some likely lacking in self-accountability.

Thread food for thought.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 16 hr -Prince- 189,512
True False Game (Jun '11) 16 hr SweLL GirL 12,002
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 16 hr Jennifer Renee 17,157
Word Association (Mar '10) 16 hr Mega Monster 19,950
Names, A to Z, ... (Aug '12) 16 hr SweLL GirL 2,230
Let's Play Songs With Four Words,... (Jul '15) 16 hr wichita-rick 71
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 17 hr Princess Hey 144,162
Answer a question with a question (Apr '15) 18 hr Cruising on by 1,813
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 20 hr No party going on 19,564
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 21 hr TheJerseyDevil 5,345