“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#20770 Dec 31, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
Good Morning All....
Franko...neglected to answer you yesterday, good
luck with the weight loss....gradually does it, as it is gained.
Well I think I am among friends enough to tell you just how my Christmas was!
I was really quite pleased with the meal...everything frell into place nicely and the house looked welcoming....our 'orphan' arrived.
Pre lunch drink, and a chat, and into the meal.
Everything was fine, until I served the pudding. Now that pudding was a dream, bought, not made, but really nice, I served it surrounded by brandy sauce with a little icing sugar on the top of the pud. Dug in, when our guest decided to pour out the gruesome details of his late wife's death...in a lot of detail.
Now tell me, who can carry on eating when such a conversation is taking place?
However, we got through it, although his wife died 18 months ago, understood the need to talk about it...but to me, bad taste at the table.
Moving on, my brother 'phoned later in the day to wish me a Happy Christmas, whilst revealing our sister-in-law had passed away!
Simply had a wonderful Christmas time!
Having a lazy day today...hopefully!....:)
Best Regards to All in the Kitchen.
Sounds like a great time for the most part...

I think your guest needed to unload his feelings/grief a bit, maybe he has few people he can talk to? He must have felt comfortable that he could "unload" like that in your presence ... so hopefully this did him some good.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20771 Dec 31, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Personally I believe in everyone paying a fixed percent as tax. When you buy any goods or service does your cost change because of how much money you have? I don't know what the correct percent should be. Lets just say God wants 10% so that should work for the government. If I make $1000 a month I owe for government service I received $100. Now if I make $10,000 a month my cost should be $1,000. Isn't it funny now that the Bush tax cuts will expire no one want to go back to the tax rate Clinton put in. At the same time they praise Clinton for the economy we had and say the increase in taxes was the reason we had a boom but at the same time they don't want to go back to that old tax rate. It is also funny that that you took every dime from people who make over 1 million it would not cover the money our government is spending. We have a spending problem not a tax problem :)
the fixed tax system would be fine if all wages were adjusted accordingly ... such as a 10% rise in the minimum wage.

Let me explain why ...

Lets say that minimum wage is $10 an hour (which it is in our province)... working a 40 hour week, that's $20,800 per year....

Counting food, rent, clothes, for both parents and a couple of kids ... that not even enough for a family to live on unless both parents can work full time and have an inlaw take care of the kids instead of a daycare......

Yet, in your scheme, they would EACH have to give $2080 to the government at 10%.... so $4160 for the family

Yet, on the other side of town is a neighbourhood where only top lawyers and acountants and doctors can afford to live ... average income around $150,000 per year and the spouse works part time or not at all and has a maid and nanny .... the only reasons thier cost of living is higher is because they can afford to have expensive cars, boats, 6000 square foot houses on 1/2 acre of land ... and yet, they have enough money left over to have in-house nannies care for thier kids, and they can travel anywhere in the world every year at $15,000 per trip ... true they will pay $15,000 in taxes but that is actually easier for them to afford than the $4160 of the poor family.

So I actually agree with the graduated tax system which makes it easier for a poor family to survive.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20772 Dec 31, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>I have been going to New Orleans for years and it is run by Democrats. The big Easy is one of the most corrupt towns anywhere. The funds for those levies have been stolen by politicians. Everyone was told to evacuate both black and white.Race had nothing to do with the levies.
I had heard it said that if the poorest areas most likely to be affected by breaking levies were mostly white, then more would have been done to upgrade the levies before the hurricane ... the claim is that because more blacks were in those danger zones, corporate America and the government chose not to spend any mony to help.

I doubt that anything would have been done differently if republicans were in power there ... there are corrupt people in that party as well.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20773 Dec 31, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
http://www.iceagenow.com/Giant _Iceberg_Breaks_Off_Growing%E2 %80%93Growing-Greenland_Glacie r.htm Maybe this time it will take :)
sorry did not work ... but I read that glaciers were receiding in Greenland ..

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20774 Dec 31, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
So then go complain about them instead of the guy trying to raise a family a four on minimum wage and doesn't pay fed income tax because he is living below the poverty level.
Can't have it both ways. Can't complain about the welfare queens or senior citizens and not talk about the billion dollar corps.
I know a guy who was running a successful company and making $200,000 a year ... he was able to set up a family trust fund (available in canada) and he could claim nearly everything they bought as an expense under that fund .. it essentially allowed him to pay the taxes most poeple do based on $40,000 earnings .... that fund is not possible for someone with income under $100,000 to set up or claim ... it is a rich man;s tax evasion loophole ... it was discontinued about a decade ago.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20775 Dec 31, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would suggest the difference here is that we discuss matters without the rancour, insults and childishness displayed on some other threads. I appreciate the old saying about not discussing religion, sex and politics in bars, but if this turned into a kitchen where we could not chat about everything and anything, I would frequent it less.
Imo, there is nothing wrong with different points of view and a discussion, assuming that discussion remains civil.
I concurr .. in fact when I visit someone 's house and we sit around the kitchen or living room .. that is exactly when we discuss these matters with our freinds ...

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20776 Dec 31, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>Kung Foo was from the 70's .. in colour Grasshopper!!!
I'm just a babe in the woods. I remember some B/W; can't really name the westerns, though I'm sure I've seen them.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20777 Dec 31, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I had heard it said that if the poorest areas most likely to be affected by breaking levies were mostly white, then more would have been done to upgrade the levies before the hurricane ... the claim is that because more blacks were in those danger zones, corporate America and the government chose not to spend any mony to help.

I doubt that anything would have been done differently if republicans were in power there ... there are corrupt people in that party as well.
That's the general consensus --- and I'm white. As we saw happen -- when a natural disaster befell the affluent area the aid and politicians were there and now they'll pass a bill for over $60 billion in aid. Apparently the fiscal cliff is just an anthill.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20778 Dec 31, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I know a guy who was running a successful company and making $200,000 a year ... he was able to set up a family trust fund (available in canada) and he could claim nearly everything they bought as an expense under that fund .. it essentially allowed him to pay the taxes most poeple do based on $40,000 earnings .... that fund is not possible for someone with income under $100,000 to set up or claim ... it is a rich man;s tax evasion loophole ... it was discontinued about a decade ago.
Interestingly, I worked with a Canadienn (you may recall I mentioned Speedy Muffler), she paid into the US social security system, moved back to Canada, and I doubt she's collecting what she put into the system (she's well over the US retirement age). Wonder who gets that money.

The well to do will always have loopholes to pay less while those with less will always pay more .... after all it's usually the well to do who are in power and make the rules.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20779 Dec 31, 2012
Happy new year
To friends who visit this place
My best wishes & thoughts
Come to you through time and space

Be safe in your travels
Be healthy in your days
Give gratitude for all you have
In each and every way

And as I often offer
May you always have
Love in your life
Joy in your heart
and
Peace in your soul

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20780 Dec 31, 2012
Boomer?! I think it you with the smoked salmon. This am's news noted a recall for smiled salmon sold in IL IN & WI at Walmart. Listeria concerns. Be safe and check out your food.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

#20781 Dec 31, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, the River Adur, which was navigable up to Steyning in Norman times. That has silted up over time, which is true for many of the old ports. Also, the size of ships in Norman times was much smaller: by 1400, they were increasing in both draught and length, with a result that many ports ceased to be suitable for them (Lostwithiel on the Fowey is an example - it was a thriving port in 1200 and the administrative centre for Cornwall; by 1450, ships could no longer reach it). As ships ceased to use rivers, they silted up as nothing passed to stir up the sediment. In the last 100 years, the upper reaches of the Tamar (from Calstock onwards) have suffered from this. I can't find any references to suggest sea levels have altered much since 1066.
Of course you are right about the amount of water - however, its conversion from ice to water is the worry as this has the impact of raising sea levels.
I think sea levels will change slowly as they always have. I just hate the Al Gore BS that has New York under water next week. They make everything a crisis. Gore has made millions selling this drama. He has a home that is the largest in the state. Do what I say and not what I do. Bramber is one of my favorite ruins :)I hike from Brighton to Bramber over the downs

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20782 Dec 31, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why I mentioned the status of the ice cap. Polar bears' main prey is the arctic seals. Habitat change means changes and stress. Adaption to land-based prey is stressful, and puts them in competition with grizzlies. Watched PBS "Nature" (associated with the science journal "Nature") about this. And from:
http://www.nwf.org/Wildlife/Threats-to-Wildli...
As climate change melts sea ice, the U.S. Geological Survey projects that two thirds of polar bears will disappear by 2050. This dramatic decline in the polar bear is occurring in our lifetime, which is but a miniscule fraction of the time polar bears have roamed the vast Arctic seas.
Rapid Arctic ice melt in 2011:
Arctic sea ice extent for January 2011 was the lowest in the satellite record for that month.
The winter's maximum Arctic sea ice extent tied for the lowest on record. The year saw the second lowest Arctic ice levels since 1979 when observation began.
A female polar bear reportedly swam for nine days - nonstop-across the Beaufort Sea before reaching an ice floe, costing her 22 percent of her weight and her cub.
In southern portions of their range, like Hudson Bay, Canada, there is no sea ice during the summer, and the polar bears must live on land until the Bay freezes in the fall, whereupon they can again hunt on the ice. While on land during the summer, these bears eat little or nothing.
In just 20 years the ice-free period in Hudson Bay has increased by an average of 20 days, cutting short polar bears' seal hunting season by nearly three weeks. The ice is freezing later in the fall, but it is the earlier spring ice melt that is especially difficult for the bears. They have a narrower timeframe in which to hunt during the critical season when seal pups are born. As a result, average bear weight has dropped by 15 percent, causing reproduction rates to decline. The Hudson Bay population is down more than 20 percent.
The retreat of ice has implications beyond the obvious habitat loss. Remaining ice is farther from shore, making it less accessible. The larger gap of open water between the ice and land also contributes to rougher wave conditions, making the bears’ swim from shore to sea ice more hazardous.
In 2004, biologists discovered four drowned polar bears in the Beaufort Sea, and suspect the actual number of drowned bears may have been considerably greater. Never before observed, biologists attributed the drowning to a combination of retreating ice and rougher seas.
Exacerbating the problems of the loss of hunting areas, it is expected that the shrinking polar ice cap will also cause a decline in polar bears’ prey -- seals. The reduction in ice platforms near productive areas for the fish that the seals eat affects their nutritional status and reproduction rates.
Polar bears are going hungry for longer periods of time, resulting in cannibalistic behavior. Although it has long been known polar bears will kill for dominance or kill cubs so they can breed with the female, outright predation for food was previously unobserved by biologists.
The seals are behind this :)

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20783 Dec 31, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Denny and I --- with a side of Tony thrown in for good measure --- are not spewing hate or venom and presumably hold no ill will towards each other --- I surely do not --- we are passionate in our beliefs and opinions. I don't believe insults have been thrown or hard feelings felt. Denny? Tony? Agree, disagree?
My apologies for having offended or made you feel uncomfortable in the kitchen Bloomer. I did not mean to do so.
I think people can discuss things they disagree on and still be very good friends. It beats talking about the weather :)

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20784 Dec 31, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>the fixed tax system would be fine if all wages were adjusted accordingly ... such as a 10% rise in the minimum wage.
Let me explain why ...
Lets say that minimum wage is $10 an hour (which it is in our province)... working a 40 hour week, that's $20,800 per year....
Counting food, rent, clothes, for both parents and a couple of kids ... that not even enough for a family to live on unless both parents can work full time and have an inlaw take care of the kids instead of a daycare......
Yet, in your scheme, they would EACH have to give $2080 to the government at 10%.... so $4160 for the family
Yet, on the other side of town is a neighbourhood where only top lawyers and acountants and doctors can afford to live ... average income around $150,000 per year and the spouse works part time or not at all and has a maid and nanny .... the only reasons thier cost of living is higher is because they can afford to have expensive cars, boats, 6000 square foot houses on 1/2 acre of land ... and yet, they have enough money left over to have in-house nannies care for thier kids, and they can travel anywhere in the world every year at $15,000 per trip ... true they will pay $15,000 in taxes but that is actually easier for them to afford than the $4160 of the poor family.
So I actually agree with the graduated tax system which makes it easier for a poor family to survive.
I understand your point. You want the government to redistribute wealth and decide who should be the winners and losers economically. I want equal opportunity while you want equal results. Many people have far more wealth than I have and I don't resent what they have made. I love rich people who spend that money and provide a market place that causes good jobs. The government can give nothing to one person that they don't take from another. I trust the market place to make those decisions more than I trust government. Should teachers make more money for the valuable job they do? Should rock stars make millions from singing? That is not for me to decide nor is it for the government to decide. The market place establishes the value of our work. I am kind of hard headed aren't I :)

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20785 Dec 31, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I had heard it said that if the poorest areas most likely to be affected by breaking levies were mostly white, then more would have been done to upgrade the levies before the hurricane ... the claim is that because more blacks were in those danger zones, corporate America and the government chose not to spend any mony to help.
The city has just got to big. People live in areas that are 12 foot below sea level. People there have always said some day the big one will come.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20786 Dec 31, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I know a guy who was running a successful company and making $200,000 a year ... he was able to set up a family trust fund (available in canada) and he could claim nearly everything they bought as an expense under that fund .. it essentially allowed him to pay the taxes most poeple do based on $40,000 earnings .... that fund is not possible for someone with income under $100,000 to set up or claim ... it is a rich man;s tax evasion loophole ... it was discontinued about a decade ago.
The very politicians who want people to pay their fair share take every advantage they can to pay as little as possible. The treasury secretary cheated on his taxes. Charlie Rangle cheated on his taxes and didn't claim all his income. Politicians aren't born they are excreted :)

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#20787 Dec 31, 2012
thought:
Looking back on the months gone by,
As a new year starts and an old one ends,
I contemplate what brought us joy,
And I think of our loved ones and our friends.

Recalling all the happy times,
Remembering how they enriched our lives,
I reflect upon who really counts,
As the fresh and bright new year arrives.

EVEN YOU VALERIA

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20788 Dec 31, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Interestingly, I worked with a Canadienn (you may recall I mentioned Speedy Muffler), she paid into the US social security system, moved back to Canada, and I doubt she's collecting what she put into the system (she's well over the US retirement age). Wonder who gets that money.
The well to do will always have loopholes to pay less while those with less will always pay more .... after all it's usually the well to do who are in power and make the rules.
Yes Mighty Quinn and the politicians play to the poor because there more of them. God loved the poor, he made so many of them. He must have been wild about the stupid :)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20789 Dec 31, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>I think people can discuss things they disagree on and still be very good friends. It beats talking about the weather :)
We may as well watch paint dry :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 10 min Doobie Time 19,107
~~ Words with Two "E"s ~~ 11 min Doobie Time 150
Two rhyming words! (Jun '12) 19 min Doobie Time 742
Stupid things to ponder ... (Feb '08) 19 min Ricky F 8,270
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 21 min Doobie Time 7,138
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 22 min Doobie Time 230,745
hoosier hillbilly (Sep '12) 23 min Doobie Time 2,608
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 3 hr Spirit 35,039