“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Poole, UK

#20760 Dec 30, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>The castle was Bramber. The river was tidal and just west of Brighton. The amount of water is constant. It may be ice, vapor or liquid. The only increase in sea level would be ice that is over land melting and running into the sea
Ah, the River Adur, which was navigable up to Steyning in Norman times. That has silted up over time, which is true for many of the old ports. Also, the size of ships in Norman times was much smaller: by 1400, they were increasing in both draught and length, with a result that many ports ceased to be suitable for them (Lostwithiel on the Fowey is an example - it was a thriving port in 1200 and the administrative centre for Cornwall; by 1450, ships could no longer reach it). As ships ceased to use rivers, they silted up as nothing passed to stir up the sediment. In the last 100 years, the upper reaches of the Tamar (from Calstock onwards) have suffered from this. I can't find any references to suggest sea levels have altered much since 1066.

Of course you are right about the amount of water - however, its conversion from ice to water is the worry as this has the impact of raising sea levels.

“Truth and perspective”

Since: Nov 09

defeats BS

#20761 Dec 30, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
They can, but their area of habitation is the arctic, where the ice cap is what constitutes most of the "dry land". They are found in northern Canada, which there is land land (if that doesn't sound Irish - pace GN) and their main area is the ice flows, which are reducing significantly.
That's why I mentioned the status of the ice cap. Polar bears' main prey is the arctic seals. Habitat change means changes and stress. Adaption to land-based prey is stressful, and puts them in competition with grizzlies. Watched PBS "Nature" (associated with the science journal "Nature") about this. And from:

http://www.nwf.org/Wildlife/Threats-to-Wildli...

As climate change melts sea ice, the U.S. Geological Survey projects that two thirds of polar bears will disappear by 2050. This dramatic decline in the polar bear is occurring in our lifetime, which is but a miniscule fraction of the time polar bears have roamed the vast Arctic seas.

Rapid Arctic ice melt in 2011:

Arctic sea ice extent for January 2011 was the lowest in the satellite record for that month.
The winter's maximum Arctic sea ice extent tied for the lowest on record. The year saw the second lowest Arctic ice levels since 1979 when observation began.
A female polar bear reportedly swam for nine days - nonstop-across the Beaufort Sea before reaching an ice floe, costing her 22 percent of her weight and her cub.

In southern portions of their range, like Hudson Bay, Canada, there is no sea ice during the summer, and the polar bears must live on land until the Bay freezes in the fall, whereupon they can again hunt on the ice. While on land during the summer, these bears eat little or nothing.

In just 20 years the ice-free period in Hudson Bay has increased by an average of 20 days, cutting short polar bears' seal hunting season by nearly three weeks. The ice is freezing later in the fall, but it is the earlier spring ice melt that is especially difficult for the bears. They have a narrower timeframe in which to hunt during the critical season when seal pups are born. As a result, average bear weight has dropped by 15 percent, causing reproduction rates to decline. The Hudson Bay population is down more than 20 percent.

The retreat of ice has implications beyond the obvious habitat loss. Remaining ice is farther from shore, making it less accessible. The larger gap of open water between the ice and land also contributes to rougher wave conditions, making the bears’ swim from shore to sea ice more hazardous.

In 2004, biologists discovered four drowned polar bears in the Beaufort Sea, and suspect the actual number of drowned bears may have been considerably greater. Never before observed, biologists attributed the drowning to a combination of retreating ice and rougher seas.

Exacerbating the problems of the loss of hunting areas, it is expected that the shrinking polar ice cap will also cause a decline in polar bears’ prey -- seals. The reduction in ice platforms near productive areas for the fish that the seals eat affects their nutritional status and reproduction rates.

Polar bears are going hungry for longer periods of time, resulting in cannibalistic behavior. Although it has long been known polar bears will kill for dominance or kill cubs so they can breed with the female, outright predation for food was previously unobserved by biologists.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Poole, UK

#20762 Dec 30, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Denny and I --- with a side of Tony thrown in for good measure --- are not spewing hate or venom and presumably hold no ill will towards each other --- I surely do not --- we are passionate in our beliefs and opinions. I don't believe insults have been thrown or hard feelings felt. Denny? Tony? Agree, disagree?
My apologies for having offended or made you feel uncomfortable in the kitchen Bloomer. I did not mean to do so.
I would suggest the difference here is that we discuss matters without the rancour, insults and childishness displayed on some other threads. I appreciate the old saying about not discussing religion, sex and politics in bars, but if this turned into a kitchen where we could not chat about everything and anything, I would frequent it less.

Imo, there is nothing wrong with different points of view and a discussion, assuming that discussion remains civil.

“Truth and perspective”

defeats BS

#20763 Dec 30, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
Okay folks. We have hashed through gun control and global warming with a side of politics. Denny, I am sure you are smart enough to find that thread you are comfortable with. I approached this area because we are in someone's kitchen! And, with all due respect, there are certain elements that I leave at the door mat before entering. I have made my various points and really don't need to elaborate.
There are times opinions need to be left where they are, inside.
Our local thread in Columbus, Ohio is so full of hate and venom, I don't respond.
Now, if you have issues, go to sites that are more than willing to embrace what you think and leave the kitchen as wholesome!
MHO!
I feel ya Boomer. There are several threads in Offbeat that are based on such topics and politics, and politics are injected in quite a few others, some of which I'll participate in various frequency. What's more, Denny Crain has "his thread" for his indulgence.

At some point after observations about the human condition and some factors of those, or the status of life's desires and tribulations with some facts thrown in ...

well, like that Topix Politics question at the top of the forum a few days ago: Do you interject and discuss nitty-gritty down-and-dirty politics in conversations during the holiday dinner get-togethers?

--- the inflationary value of 2 cents I do not know, but there it is.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20764 Dec 30, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>I would suggest the difference here is that we discuss matters without the rancour, insults and childishness displayed on some other threads. I appreciate the old saying about not discussing religion, sex and politics in bars, but if this turned into a kitchen where we could not chat about everything and anything, I would frequent it less.

Imo, there is nothing wrong with different points of view and a discussion, assuming that discussion remains civil.
Pleased to know you Tony. There's an exchange of ideas where it's possible to agree to disagree. Insults are uncalled for --- hence a while back someone insulted Denny because of his opinion on guns. I don't hold Denny's opinion, but he's entitled to it nonetheless and calling him nasty names is just not right.

“Truth and perspective”

defeats BS

#20765 Dec 30, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish I could come up with a smart answer to this one. On the one hand, I believe any civilised developed society should have a safety net to support those in need. However, how far does that safety net extend in times of austerity? I'm sure Beveridge did not envisage the welfare state providing fridges, freezers, TVs, DVD players etc - yet all of these can now be claimed by families on welfare. Clothes, yes, housing, of course, food, it goes without saying. But TVs? Is a person going to die without a TV? The vast majority are having to tighten their (our!) belts, why should those on benefits be exempt? Personally, I like the idea of food stamps rather than money as they do in the USA.
Too often I see on other threads the view that a political party is responsible for crime. The most stupid was a suggestion that Obama was using Connecticut to mask Benghazi. Without seeing the article, can't really react as unsure what the journalist is trying to say.
I'm out of time, but I have been thinking about the safety net vis-a-vis social services AND the neighborhood/district charities back in the day upon watching the Christmas "Call The Midwife" Special this very evening (viewed the first season here this fall). Fancying some kind of power relative to the ghost of Christopher(Bob) Marley and Clarence the Christmas Angel (It's A Wonderful Life movie).

Might re-visit this another day.

Good night all ... and , good luck.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20766 Dec 30, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>I feel ya Boomer. There are several threads in Offbeat that are based on such topics and politics, and politics are injected in quite a few others, some of which I'll participate in various frequency. What's more, Denny Crain has "his thread" for his indulgence.

At some point after observations about the human condition and some factors of those, or the status of life's desires and tribulations with some facts thrown in ...

well, like that Topix Politics question at the top of the forum a few days ago: Do you interject and discuss nitty-gritty down-and-dirty politics in conversations during the holiday dinner get-togethers?

--- the inflationary value of 2 cents I do not know, but there it is.
Actually we did discuss the down and dirty .......... getting to Sandy Hook, guns and this country's lack of discussion about and for the mentally ill. I'm not bringing this up here again to rehash the topic, merely answering your question that yes such topics were discussed at my family holiday gathering.......and no one drew blood, we were enlightened.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20767 Dec 30, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>I'm out of time, but I have been thinking about the safety net vis-a-vis social services AND the neighborhood/district charities back in the day upon watching the Christmas "Call The Midwife" Special this very evening (viewed the first season here this fall). Fancying some kind of power relative to the ghost of Christopher(Bob) Marley and Clarence the Christmas Angel (It's A Wonderful Life movie).

Might re-visit this another day.

Good night all ... and , good luck.
Here's to a healthy happy new year for you & the clan Deer Whisperer. Wedding plans will soon abound!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#20768 Dec 31, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kung Fu with David Carradine...was that black & white? Remember Wild Wild West with I think it was Robert Conrad?
Westerns? The only one I can think of now is the Lone Ranger ...... Bonanza wasn't really a western was it?
Kung Foo was from the 70's .. in colour Grasshopper!!!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20769 Dec 31, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Denny, ice is reducing EVERYWHERE - that is why yachts now sail the North West passage without having to use ice-breaking equipment. Here is one example:
http://www.openpassageexpedition.com/
It is a scientific impossibility for sea levels to rise without the melting of ice - the amount of water cannot remain the same.
Ozone holes over the arctic and antartic areas are very real, not bogus: here is one example of them:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/oc... .
I'm curious as to which castle you refer - in most cases, the silting up process is what causes a river to be less significant, not a drop in oceanic levels. Obviously, without knowing to which of the multitude of castles you refer, I can't make a comment.
Btw, research in UK universities is completely separate from the UK government and whilst they do provide some research funding, it would be paranoid to suggest this is for a political agenda - absolutely no evidence to substantiate that claim.
Actually, if water levels were to rise, the river would appear to be wider near the mouth, and if ocean water levels were to lower the river would appear to be narrower near the mouth. hoWeVER, UP RIVER WHERE THIER IS NO OCEAN INFLUENCE, THE WIDTH Of THE RIVER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH OCEAN LEVELS.

I live at the mouth of a fairly significant river, the Fraser River ... three of the bridges here are over 1.5 KM long to pass over it ... there are pylons there they tie up the log booms which float down the river from the logging areas... those pylons are a good indicator of how high or lower the river levels are due to the tide (so I have observed this widening and narrowing effect)... SO FAR i DON'T SEE ANY NOTICABLE CHANGE IN WATER LEVELS ....

Our province just finished a report talking about what it would cost to raise the dykes in preparation for the water levels in 50 to 100 years from now ... many billions of dollars would be spent. My house would be flooded if those dykes were not raised in time!!! Maybe I will sell and move uphill a bit!!!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20770 Dec 31, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
Good Morning All....
Franko...neglected to answer you yesterday, good
luck with the weight loss....gradually does it, as it is gained.
Well I think I am among friends enough to tell you just how my Christmas was!
I was really quite pleased with the meal...everything frell into place nicely and the house looked welcoming....our 'orphan' arrived.
Pre lunch drink, and a chat, and into the meal.
Everything was fine, until I served the pudding. Now that pudding was a dream, bought, not made, but really nice, I served it surrounded by brandy sauce with a little icing sugar on the top of the pud. Dug in, when our guest decided to pour out the gruesome details of his late wife's death...in a lot of detail.
Now tell me, who can carry on eating when such a conversation is taking place?
However, we got through it, although his wife died 18 months ago, understood the need to talk about it...but to me, bad taste at the table.
Moving on, my brother 'phoned later in the day to wish me a Happy Christmas, whilst revealing our sister-in-law had passed away!
Simply had a wonderful Christmas time!
Having a lazy day today...hopefully!....:)
Best Regards to All in the Kitchen.
Sounds like a great time for the most part...

I think your guest needed to unload his feelings/grief a bit, maybe he has few people he can talk to? He must have felt comfortable that he could "unload" like that in your presence ... so hopefully this did him some good.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20771 Dec 31, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Personally I believe in everyone paying a fixed percent as tax. When you buy any goods or service does your cost change because of how much money you have? I don't know what the correct percent should be. Lets just say God wants 10% so that should work for the government. If I make $1000 a month I owe for government service I received $100. Now if I make $10,000 a month my cost should be $1,000. Isn't it funny now that the Bush tax cuts will expire no one want to go back to the tax rate Clinton put in. At the same time they praise Clinton for the economy we had and say the increase in taxes was the reason we had a boom but at the same time they don't want to go back to that old tax rate. It is also funny that that you took every dime from people who make over 1 million it would not cover the money our government is spending. We have a spending problem not a tax problem :)
the fixed tax system would be fine if all wages were adjusted accordingly ... such as a 10% rise in the minimum wage.

Let me explain why ...

Lets say that minimum wage is $10 an hour (which it is in our province)... working a 40 hour week, that's $20,800 per year....

Counting food, rent, clothes, for both parents and a couple of kids ... that not even enough for a family to live on unless both parents can work full time and have an inlaw take care of the kids instead of a daycare......

Yet, in your scheme, they would EACH have to give $2080 to the government at 10%.... so $4160 for the family

Yet, on the other side of town is a neighbourhood where only top lawyers and acountants and doctors can afford to live ... average income around $150,000 per year and the spouse works part time or not at all and has a maid and nanny .... the only reasons thier cost of living is higher is because they can afford to have expensive cars, boats, 6000 square foot houses on 1/2 acre of land ... and yet, they have enough money left over to have in-house nannies care for thier kids, and they can travel anywhere in the world every year at $15,000 per trip ... true they will pay $15,000 in taxes but that is actually easier for them to afford than the $4160 of the poor family.

So I actually agree with the graduated tax system which makes it easier for a poor family to survive.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20772 Dec 31, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>I have been going to New Orleans for years and it is run by Democrats. The big Easy is one of the most corrupt towns anywhere. The funds for those levies have been stolen by politicians. Everyone was told to evacuate both black and white.Race had nothing to do with the levies.
I had heard it said that if the poorest areas most likely to be affected by breaking levies were mostly white, then more would have been done to upgrade the levies before the hurricane ... the claim is that because more blacks were in those danger zones, corporate America and the government chose not to spend any mony to help.

I doubt that anything would have been done differently if republicans were in power there ... there are corrupt people in that party as well.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20773 Dec 31, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
http://www.iceagenow.com/Giant _Iceberg_Breaks_Off_Growing%E2 %80%93Growing-Greenland_Glacie r.htm Maybe this time it will take :)
sorry did not work ... but I read that glaciers were receiding in Greenland ..

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20774 Dec 31, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
So then go complain about them instead of the guy trying to raise a family a four on minimum wage and doesn't pay fed income tax because he is living below the poverty level.
Can't have it both ways. Can't complain about the welfare queens or senior citizens and not talk about the billion dollar corps.
I know a guy who was running a successful company and making $200,000 a year ... he was able to set up a family trust fund (available in canada) and he could claim nearly everything they bought as an expense under that fund .. it essentially allowed him to pay the taxes most poeple do based on $40,000 earnings .... that fund is not possible for someone with income under $100,000 to set up or claim ... it is a rich man;s tax evasion loophole ... it was discontinued about a decade ago.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20775 Dec 31, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would suggest the difference here is that we discuss matters without the rancour, insults and childishness displayed on some other threads. I appreciate the old saying about not discussing religion, sex and politics in bars, but if this turned into a kitchen where we could not chat about everything and anything, I would frequent it less.
I concurr .. in fact when I visit someone 's house and we sit around the kitchen or living room .. that is exactly when we discuss these matters with our freinds ...

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20776 Dec 31, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>Kung Foo was from the 70's .. in colour Grasshopper!!!
I'm just a babe in the woods. I remember some B/W; can't really name the westerns, though I'm sure I've seen them.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20777 Dec 31, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I had heard it said that if the poorest areas most likely to be affected by breaking levies were mostly white, then more would have been done to upgrade the levies before the hurricane ... the claim is that because more blacks were in those danger zones, corporate America and the government chose not to spend any mony to help.

I doubt that anything would have been done differently if republicans were in power there ... there are corrupt people in that party as well.
That's the general consensus --- and I'm white. As we saw happen -- when a natural disaster befell the affluent area the aid and politicians were there and now they'll pass a bill for over $60 billion in aid. Apparently the fiscal cliff is just an anthill.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20778 Dec 31, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I know a guy who was running a successful company and making $200,000 a year ... he was able to set up a family trust fund (available in canada) and he could claim nearly everything they bought as an expense under that fund .. it essentially allowed him to pay the taxes most poeple do based on $40,000 earnings .... that fund is not possible for someone with income under $100,000 to set up or claim ... it is a rich man;s tax evasion loophole ... it was discontinued about a decade ago.
Interestingly, I worked with a Canadienn (you may recall I mentioned Speedy Muffler), she paid into the US social security system, moved back to Canada, and I doubt she's collecting what she put into the system (she's well over the US retirement age). Wonder who gets that money.

The well to do will always have loopholes to pay less while those with less will always pay more .... after all it's usually the well to do who are in power and make the rules.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20779 Dec 31, 2012
Happy new year
To friends who visit this place
My best wishes & thoughts
Come to you through time and space

Be safe in your travels
Be healthy in your days
Give gratitude for all you have
In each and every way

And as I often offer
May you always have
Love in your life
Joy in your heart
and
Peace in your soul

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min MikeF 116,768
Black Walnuts 5 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1
A Look At American Jihadis: Why Do They Fight? 9 min Fundie Taliban 9
Things Not To Say In Bed (Oct '11) 14 min DILF 2,550
ladies, how would u feel if u caught your man w... 16 min DILF 4
Men: Do you prefer "older" women? (Jan '08) 17 min Sublime1 98
Last Word - Spelled Out G*A*M*E 19 min DILF 63
Plunging into Crocodile Pond: Thai-Style Suicide 39 min DILF 10
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 1 hr Sublime1 20,534
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Flower-Child 147,015