El's Kitchen

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20726 Dec 30, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Tony his point was that people who don't pay federal tax are not very interested in the tax issue. Nothing wrong with people who don't pay tax it is just not their hot button issue. Just like guns is a hot botton issue for me people who don't have a gun background aren't interested in my hot button issue
Alas dear Denny you did not respond to my points on the 47% issue. And BTW while you and they (the repubs) gripe about those below poverty level not paying taxes, it is my general understanding big corps like Shell don't either. Care to explain why no one criticizes that? Scr*w the lower/no taxes on speaking engagement fees or gains/losses on investments --- income is income and it should ALL be taxed.

Last time I checked, the threshold for "miscellaneous" deductions is 2% while the threshold for medical is 7%. That is fricking outrageous -- unless you're terminally ill and near death you can't catch a break.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

#20727 Dec 30, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
True perhaps but that doesn't dismiss the fact that there are species of animals extinct by the hand of man; that corporate America isn't responsible for dumping toxic waste in the rivers and streams and ground water causing death & destruction; and is bulldozing rain forests which put oxygen in the atmosphere.
In Whiting Indiana underground oil tanks leaked into the ground water causing all manner of illness and cancer. I know this to be true -- I worked on litigation suits years ago.
In Blue Island Illinois, not far from where I currently live, several oil companies now finally closed, spewed oil and residue onto the homes & vehicles of the area to the point where the film could not be removed; oil continued to leak into the ground water causing consistent illness at the local area high school, businesses and homes; two of the oil companies had multiple explosions and fires over the years. U have no idea what was coming out of the smoke stacks, but the people in the area were irreparably harmed.
This has nothing to do with the climate per se, but it has everything to do with irresponsible business practices that harm people, animals, the food chain and the environment.
Believe me or don't. These two things happen to be in my area of the world. I have problems flipping between topix & google on my phone but feel free to search those two towns. Clark oil refinery was the biggest offender until I think it finally closed.
There is no doubt that people have been harmed in the past and that accidents will be happening in the future. Animals have gone extent all the time and sometimes it has been because of man. By the way they have a Dodo bird stuffed in London :) I think there is a proper balance in all things. Do you stop or prohibit construction because of the snail darter?

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20728 Dec 30, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Tony his point was that people who don't pay federal tax are not very interested in the tax issue. Nothing wrong with people who don't pay tax it is just not their hot button issue. Just like guns is a hot botton issue for me people who don't have a gun background aren't interested in my hot button issue
So it's ok that General Electric & Exxon Shell paid no fed income tax in 2009, but not Ok that when I was underemployed & my husband laid off, we paid no fed income tax and got a refund? That's insane and everything the conservative repubs stand for --- help those with billions in profit but keep scr*wing the middle class and poor!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20729 Dec 30, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>Alas dear Denny you did not respond to my points on the 47% issue. And BTW while you and they (the repubs) gripe about those below poverty level not paying taxes, it is my general understanding big corps like Shell don't either. Care to explain why no one criticizes that? Scr*w the lower/no taxes on speaking engagement fees or gains/losses on investments --- income is income and it should ALL be taxed.

Last time I checked, the threshold for "miscellaneous" deductions is 2% while the threshold for medical is 7%. That is fricking outrageous -- unless you're terminally ill and near death you can't catch a break.
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2010/04/06/2...

Sent from my iPhone

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20730 Dec 30, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>What is that El? All I know is that exaggeration and plain lies are all around us. The media thrives on exaggerations. Just like the coverage of Katrina and Sandy is so different. The media is so bias and liberal they blamed Bush for Katrina and had nothing but praise for Obama and Sandy. People are still in terrible shape with no place to live months after Sandy but it is a non story. Do you think the press would have treated Bush the same way as they treated Obama on what happened in Libya? If Bush had put out a false story of what had happened and told those lies for weeks they would have called for his impeachment. Hillary hasn't testified in congress yet and it has been months since the attack
The devastation in New Orleans had little to with the natural disaster and everything to do with manmade levies that failed, were never repaired when repairs were needed and because the rich & the politicians don't give a rip about poor blacks. Be honest. Of course they care more about the affluence and corporate folks in NY or California.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20731 Dec 30, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>Of anybody, I would take the word of WWF. jmo
I agree with you there.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20732 Dec 30, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Alas dear Denny you did not respond to my points on the 47% issue. And BTW while you and they (the repubs) gripe about those below poverty level not paying taxes, it is my general understanding big corps like Shell don't either. Care to explain why no one criticizes that? Scr*w the lower/no taxes on speaking engagement fees or gains/losses on investments --- income is income and it should ALL be taxed.
Personally I believe in everyone paying a fixed percent as tax. When you buy any goods or service does your cost change because of how much money you have? I don't know what the correct percent should be. Lets just say God wants 10% so that should work for the government. If I make $1000 a month I owe for government service I received $100. Now if I make $10,000 a month my cost should be $1,000. Isn't it funny now that the Bush tax cuts will expire no one want to go back to the tax rate Clinton put in. At the same time they praise Clinton for the economy we had and say the increase in taxes was the reason we had a boom but at the same time they don't want to go back to that old tax rate. It is also funny that that you took every dime from people who make over 1 million it would not cover the money our government is spending. We have a spending problem not a tax problem :)

“Ridin' The Devils Little Horse”

Since: Mar 08

Straight To Hells Door

#20733 Dec 30, 2012
HI RMQuinn37.... this ones for you...

Chicago

Hog Butcher for the World,
Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat,
Player with Railroads and the Nation's Freight Handler;
Stormy, husky, brawling,
City of the Big Shoulders:

They tell me you are wicked and I believe them, for I
have seen your painted women under the gas lamps
luring the farm boys.
And they tell me you are crooked and I answer: Yes, it
is true I have seen the gunman kill and go free to
kill again.
And they tell me you are brutal and my reply is: On the
faces of women and children I have seen the marks
of wanton hunger.
And having answered so I turn once more to those who
sneer at this my city, and I give them back the sneer
and say to them:
Come and show me another city with lifted head singing
so proud to be alive and coarse and strong and cunning.
Flinging magnetic curses amid the toil of piling job on
job, here is a tall bold slugger set vivid against the
little soft cities;

Fierce as a dog with tongue lapping for action, cunning
as a savage pitted against the wilderness,

Bareheaded,
Shoveling,
Wrecking,
Planning,
Building, breaking, rebuilding,

Under the smoke, dust all over his mouth, laughing with
white teeth,
Under the terrible burden of destiny laughing as a young
man laughs,
Laughing even as an ignorant fighter laughs who has
never lost a battle,
Bragging and laughing that under his wrist is the pulse,
and under his ribs the heart of the people,

Laughing!

Laughing the stormy, husky, brawling laughter of
Youth, half-naked, sweating, proud to be Hog
Butcher, Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat, Player with
Railroads and Freight Handler to the Nation.

By: Carl Sandburg

One of the first poems I learned... It's always stuck with me...
@}-'--,---

Straight To Hells Door

#20734 Dec 30, 2012
Hi Lady Eleanor...
I'm killing time waiting on my ride to show up...
I am gonna hit the bank and the grocery store and then I'm not going out again till The Packs eyes are floating!hahahahaha

OMG I just read that and it sounds like I'm gonna rob the places...hahahahahahaha

It is miserably cold.. The sun is shining but nothing is melting.. Wind chill in the teens today... Brrrrrrrrr... dangit!

I hope that all is right with you and yours and that you are safe and warm... Sending you all of my best and warmest wishes...
((Love-n-Hugs))
@}-'--,---

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20735 Dec 30, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
So it's ok that General Electric & Exxon Shell paid no fed income tax in 2009, but not Ok that when I was underemployed & my husband laid off, we paid no fed income tax and got a refund? That's insane and everything the conservative repubs stand for --- help those with billions in profit but keep scr*wing the middle class and poor!
This isn't personal Mighty Quinn. We have the highest corporate tax in the world and it is smoke and mirrors because to a corporation a tax is just a cost of doing business and is added to the price of the product. You the buyer pay the tax. Now on a personal basis while you were under employed or unemployed did any other of your payments decrease? I mean did your car payment go down? Why should your share of the cost of government go down? The truth is government can only give to one what they take from another. I hate to say it but it was Reagan who came up with the idea of refunding more than was paid in. It was Nixon who came up with the EPA :) Bad things happen to good people sometimes. I think we need a safety net for people who really need help. That doesn't mean I believe people on welfare should have beer and cigarettes at my expense. What I would like to see from our government was suggested by Bill Buckley. His idea was instead of paying farmers not to produce food you buy their food and put it in grocery stores for anyone to take. You have the basics need for life free to anyone :) It is cheaper than the welfare system :) Now my dear friend I do hope things have got better for you and I am sorry you went through that

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20736 Dec 30, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
The devastation in New Orleans had little to with the natural disaster and everything to do with manmade levies that failed, were never repaired when repairs were needed and because the rich & the politicians don't give a rip about poor blacks. Be honest. Of course they care more about the affluence and corporate folks in NY or California.
I have been going to New Orleans for years and it is run by Democrats. The big Easy is one of the most corrupt towns anywhere. The funds for those levies have been stolen by politicians. Everyone was told to evacuate both black and white.Race had nothing to do with the levies.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20737 Dec 30, 2012
Wildbluerose wrote:
Hi Lady Eleanor...
I am gonna hit the bank and the grocery store and then I'm not going out again till The Packs eyes are floating!hahahahaha
OMG I just read that and it sounds like I'm gonna rob the places...hahahahahahaha
It is miserably cold.. The sun is shining but nothing is melting.. Wind chill in the teens today... Brrrrrrrrr... dangit!
I hope that all is right with you and yours and that you are safe and warm... Sending you all of my best and warmest wishes...
((Love-n-Hugs))
@}-'--,---
Please unload gun and remove ski mask before entering :)

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#20738 Dec 30, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>What is that El? All I know is that exaggeration and plain lies are all around us. The media thrives on exaggerations. Just like the coverage of Katrina and Sandy is so different. The media is so bias and liberal they blamed Bush for Katrina and had nothing but praise for Obama and Sandy. People are still in terrible shape with no place to live months after Sandy but it is a non story. Do you think the press would have treated Bush the same way as they treated Obama on what happened in Libya? If Bush had put out a false story of what had happened and told those lies for weeks they would have called for his impeachment. Hillary hasn't testified in congress yet and it has been months since the attack
Stands for World Wildlife Fund Denny, their facts and figures are
accurate and they do a lot of good work.

As far as George W. Bush is concerned in relation to Katrina, I am
under the impression that both he and Dick Cheney chose to stay on vacation days after it happened.

Whilst President Obama's response was immediate and helpful.

I am aware that there are people still without power after Sandy,
even without homes, it's a shocking state of affairs, I wouldn't hold
the President responsible for that, but the companies who provide the power.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20739 Dec 30, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>There is no doubt that people have been harmed in the past and that accidents will be happening in the future. Animals have gone extent all the time and sometimes it has been because of man. By the way they have a Dodo bird stuffed in London :) I think there is a proper balance in all things. Do you stop or prohibit construction because of the snail darter?
So collateral damage is worth it eh? Tell that to families of the dead in Iraq, Afghanistan & Syria....

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20740 Dec 30, 2012
http://www.iceagenow.com/Giant_Iceberg_Breaks... Maybe this time it will take :)

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#20741 Dec 30, 2012
Wildbluerose wrote:
Hi Lady Eleanor...
((Love-n-Hugs))
@}-'--,---
Dear Bonnie...er...Rose. haha
gonna to hit the bank eh? haha

Your poem is magnificent Rose, absolutely magnificent.

{{{HUGS}}}

Tell your ride to drive carefully with his/her precious cargo!...:)

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20742 Dec 30, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Stands for World Wildlife Fund Denny, their facts and figures are
accurate and they do a lot of good work.
As far as George W. Bush is concerned in relation to Katrina, I am
under the impression that both he and Dick Cheney chose to stay on vacation days after it happened.
Whilst President Obama's response was immediate and helpful.
I am aware that there are people still without power after Sandy,
even without homes, it's a shocking state of affairs, I wouldn't hold
the President responsible for that, but the companies who provide the power.
My point El is the media is extremely liberal. If Obama and Bush ever did they exact same thing the media would overlook Obama's actions and condemn Bush's action. In Katrina the governor who was a Democrat has to request help from the federal government. The President can not just send in the National guard. What was ignored is the Mayor of New Orleans was a Democrat who had direct responsibility for his city and the Governor who was also a Democrat had responsibility for the State. The mayor could have used the city school buses to get people out of there. The buses were left to be buried in the flood waters

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20743 Dec 30, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Personally I believe in everyone paying a fixed percent as tax. When you buy any goods or service does your cost change because of how much money you have? I don't know what the correct percent should be. Lets just say God wants 10% so that should work for the government. If I make $1000 a month I owe for government service I received $100. Now if I make $10,000 a month my cost should be $1,000. Isn't it funny now that the Bush tax cuts will expire no one want to go back to the tax rate Clinton put in. At the same time they praise Clinton for the economy we had and say the increase in taxes was the reason we had a boom but at the same time they don't want to go back to that old tax rate. It is also funny that that you took every dime from people who make over 1 million it would not cover the money our government is spending. We have a spending problem not a tax problem :)
You still over generalize the 47% and people who don't pay tax when suggesting we want the government to support us. Back up your statement with statistics that those getting gov benefits like and can survive.....

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20744 Dec 30, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
So collateral damage is worth it eh? Tell that to families of the dead in Iraq, Afghanistan & Syria....
Innocents always die in a war. Only the dead have seen the end of war :( A good example is a type of rat on the endangered specie list. It has a habitat in Brush. The brush in that area can not be burned off. A series of fires burns out hundreds of home and causes death o thousand of animals because the EPA wouldn't allow controlled burning. This happened in California

Straight To Hells Door

#20745 Dec 30, 2012
LMAO!!!! over here...
I had to laugh at the way what I wrote sounded... That's me... Typing without a filter again...hahahahaha

I thought that RMQuinn37 and the folks who visit Your kitchen might enjoy that poem.. I'm glad you liked it..
I'm the worst when it comes to going out on the roads in bad weather.. so I end up using my Passenger Brake A Lot!!!
;o)
((HUGSBACKATCHA))
@}-'--,---

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bizarre finish has Raptors crying foul after lo... 3 min Sam 223
A to Z songs by title or group! 3 min wichita-rick 1,028
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 4 min Lawrence Wolf 1,710
Post any FOUR words (Feb '16) 7 min Yournotgoingtobel... 3,240
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 15 min CJ Rocker 211,789
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 17 min Ship 6,533
Word Association (Mar '10) 19 min Ship 21,864
What Turns You Off? 3 hr Charlie 450
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 4 hr Bad Bex 20,968
More from around the web