|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

Boomer7 wrote:
Denny, what is interesting about the school feeding program is beyond what most people think.
Back in the mid 60's the Black Panther Party started free breakfast programs in major metropolitan areas. It's design was simple: stop in, eat a breakfast prepared by volunteers,( I was a server ) and be walked to school by other volunteers. The Party also started free health clinics for inner city residents but was open to anyone! Preventative health care, pre-natal, STD testing, etc.
Once these folks were termed radicals by the government, these programs became their wards with the exception of health care!
Not the sort of information widely publizised Boomer, and very interesting to hear. Kudos to you for prolonged help toward Mankind.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Chopped BBQ what??
Man try a little BBQ on a stiuffed potato and you have a full meat and potatoes meal YUM :)

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Not the sort of information widely publizised Boomer, and very interesting to hear. Kudos to you for prolonged help toward Mankind.
Good morning El. The year is almost over :)

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Denny, ice is reducing EVERYWHERE - that is why yachts now sail the North West passage without having to use ice-breaking equipment. Here is one example:
http://www.openpassageexpedition.com/
It is a scientific impossibility for sea levels to rise without the melting of ice - the amount of water cannot remain the same.
Ozone holes over the arctic and antartic areas are very real, not bogus: here is one example of them:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/oc... .
I'm curious as to which castle you refer - in most cases, the silting up process is what causes a river to be less significant, not a drop in oceanic levels. Obviously, without knowing to which of the multitude of castles you refer, I can't make a comment.
Btw, research in UK universities is completely separate from the UK government and whilst they do provide some research funding, it would be paranoid to suggest this is for a political agenda - absolutely no evidence to substantiate that claim.
impossible!!!!!! not really Capt ... may I suggest that the sea sponge holds ten x its body weight in sea water , did you ever wonder how deep the sea would be without the sponge

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
to break-in after the wars we had free fruit/cheese/juice/milk

why war surpluses , to all schools

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning El. The year is almost over :)
making a funny .... the year is never over goes down in history

“Poppies. Tower of London”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning El. The year is almost over :)
'Morning Denny...yep, the last Sunday of the year. Just had a chap
deliver something and he wished us HNY...not going to say anything
other the very same to you am I?...:)
I am a trifle extreme about it, I know, but there you go. lol

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
to break-in after the wars we had free fruit/cheese/juice/milk
why war surpluses , to all schools
I remember having free milk in school, a third of a pint, not
sure of my facts as to what was available here.
I seem to remember Cod Liver Oil and Malt...not sure if it was
free at the clinic.

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Man try a little BBQ on a stiuffed potato and you have a full meat and potatoes meal YUM :)
I forgot my all around favorite, hash browns! Melted cheese, bacon bits, and onions. Too yummy...

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Good morning and afternoon to all!
Lady El, we received a gift of smoked salmon for the holiday and forgot completely. We will dine on that New Years Eve with cream cheese and bagel bites. The leftovers will find their way to the pub on New Years Day!
We will give a toast that day to all of the kitchen goers.
Cold and snowy here in the Midwest, Ohio, anyway...
Enjoy your day folks.
Peace.

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>I remember having free milk in school, a third of a pint, not
sure of my facts as to what was available here.
I seem to remember Cod Liver Oil and Malt...not sure if it was
free at the clinic.
Memories of Cod Liver Oil! Growing up, my mom would administer a tablespoon full as soon as you had the sniffles or a cough. Never missed a day of school because of a cold. And no, my mum was not from the UK. At times I thought she was... Tea and biscuits with fruit in the Spring and Fall! Didn't quite understand that then...

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>I have made a note of that, and will look around for a copy, should find on Amazon. I am impressed with Amazon, I have a monthly subscription for quality pet food, it is delivered free of charge, which helps keep the costs down, plus, my lugging it back from the shops.
Anyway, am digressing. The working...and living ..conditions in which our ancestors had were appalling, there and here. They lived like pigs, they had no choice, yet had decent trades.
Many Irish came to Manchester, England, before, during, and slightly after The Famine. They were greeted with boarding houses displaying signs which read 'No Dogs, No Irish'. Pretty disgusting.
I had occasion to take a trip down the Manchester Ship Canal from Liverpool to Manchester..learnt on that voyage how the Irish had painstakingly cut out the canal, working all the hours God sends, for very little reward. Men who had trades at their fingertips.
Then again Quincy, the men who worked in the Quarries here worked in dreadful conditions..no health and safety then, those who travelled here from Anglesey stayed in Baracks...the quarry owners (English) horses stables were far more grand..and water proof with it. Yet the quarry workers never swore, they built schools for their children so they would have a better chance than they, yet they even had to buy their own water...which was rain water.
Makes my blood boil!
Discussing it with other emigres like myself, I hear 'well, at least they had work'...!!!
I suppose part the horror of it is the fact that they we promised gold laden streets and a better life and essentially walked into slave labor. The people were lied to.

Even in the US 50, 60 or better years ago, my uncle worked in the steel mills -- those jobs like many were unbearable conditions because of the type job they did ....... Intolerably high heat and fire, filth from the dirt and dust, lost hearing from the noise, and the occasional death when someone fell from the scaffolding into the fire.

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Boomer7 wrote:
Good morning and afternoon to all!
Lady El, we received a gift of smoked salmon for the holiday and forgot completely. We will dine on that New Years Eve with cream cheese and bagel bites. The leftovers will find their way to the pub on New Years Day!
We will give a toast that day to all of the kitchen goers.
Cold and snowy here in the Midwest, Ohio, anyway...
Enjoy your day folks.
Peace.
'Afternoon Boomer...Manna from Heaven that smoked salmon. Does
sound a nice combination, will join you and Brighteyes in a toast
to all our friends here in the kitchen, old and new.

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose part the horror of it is the fact that they we promised gold laden streets and a better life and essentially walked into slave labor. The people were lied to.
Even in the US 50, 60 or better years ago, my uncle worked in the steel mills -- those jobs like many were unbearable conditions because of the type job they did ....... Intolerably high heat and fire, filth from the dirt and dust, lost hearing from the noise, and the occasional death when someone fell from the scaffolding into the fire.
No benefits in those days Quincy, they did what they had to do to survive, to us in 2012 it is appalling what they were forced to endure.
And...they did it for us!

This always moves me...maybe you remember the tune..

Lyrics
"The Mountains of Mourne" by Percy French (1896)

Oh, Mary, this London's a wonderful sight, With people all working by day and by night. Sure they don't sow potatoes, nor barley, nor wheat, But there's gangs of them digging for gold in the street.

At least when I asked them that's what I was told, So I just took a hand at this digging for gold, But for all that I found there I might as well be Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

I believe that when writing a wish you expressed As to know how the fine ladies in London were dressed, Well if you'll believe me, when asked to a ball, They don't wear no top to their dresses at all, Oh I've seen them meself and you could not in truth, Say that if they were bound for a ball or a bath.

Don't be starting such fashions, now, Mary mo chroi, Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

I've seen England's king from the top of a bus And I've never known him, but he means to know us.
And tho' by the Saxon we once were oppressed, Still I cheered, God forgive me, I cheered with the rest.
And now that he's visited Erin's green shore We'll be much better friends than we've been heretofore When we've got all we want, we're as quiet as can be Where the mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

You remember young Peter O'Loughlin, of course, Well, now he is here at the head of the force.
I met him today, I was crossing the Strand, And he stopped the whole street with a wave of his hand.
And there we stood talkin' of days that are gone, While the whole population of London looked on.
But for all these great powers he's wishful like me, To be back where the dark Mourne sweeps down to the sea.
There's beautiful girls here, oh never you mind, With beautiful shapes nature never designed, And lovely complexions all roses and cream, But let me remark with regard to the same: That if of those roses you venture to sip, The colours might all come away on your lip, So I'll wait for the wild rose that's waiting for me In the place where the dark Mourne sweeps down to the sea..

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Memories of Cod Liver Oil! Growing up, my mom would administer a tablespoon full as soon as you had the sniffles or a cough. Never missed a day of school because of a cold. And no, my mum was not from the UK. At times I thought she was... Tea and biscuits with fruit in the Spring and Fall! Didn't quite understand that then...
Sounds a bit like my mum! Except we were given Syrup of Figs every Friday night (whether we needed it or not) and btw I still have Cod Liver Oil every day, it is a modified version and tastes really good
in comparison. Gotta have my Omega 3!

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>No benefits in those days Quincy, they did what they had to do to survive, to us in 2012 it is appalling what they were forced to endure.
And...they did it for us!

This always moves me...maybe you remember the tune..

Lyrics
"The Mountains of Mourne" by Percy French (1896)

Oh, Mary, this London's a wonderful sight, With people all working by day and by night. Sure they don't sow potatoes, nor barley, nor wheat, But there's gangs of them digging for gold in the street.

At least when I asked them that's what I was told, So I just took a hand at this digging for gold, But for all that I found there I might as well be Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

I believe that when writing a wish you expressed As to know how the fine ladies in London were dressed, Well if you'll believe me, when asked to a ball, They don't wear no top to their dresses at all, Oh I've seen them meself and you could not in truth, Say that if they were bound for a ball or a bath.

Don't be starting such fashions, now, Mary mo chroi, Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

I've seen England's king from the top of a bus And I've never known him, but he means to know us.
And tho' by the Saxon we once were oppressed, Still I cheered, God forgive me, I cheered with the rest.
And now that he's visited Erin's green shore We'll be much better friends than we've been heretofore When we've got all we want, we're as quiet as can be Where the mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

You remember young Peter O'Loughlin, of course, Well, now he is here at the head of the force.
I met him today, I was crossing the Strand, And he stopped the whole street with a wave of his hand.
And there we stood talkin' of days that are gone, While the whole population of London looked on.
But for all these great powers he's wishful like me, To be back where the dark Mourne sweeps down to the sea.
There's beautiful girls here, oh never you mind, With beautiful shapes nature never designed, And lovely complexions all roses and cream, But let me remark with regard to the same: That if of those roses you venture to sip, The colours might all come away on your lip, So I'll wait for the wild rose that's waiting for me In the place where the dark Mourne sweeps down to the sea..
Quite moving...
Funny, songs and poems emerge in times of strife.
Trees, by Joyce Kilmer comes to mind.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

franko wrote:
<quoted text>Further to my last post ... fill a glass half full of water, then put in ice cubes so they float ... so the water reaches a line near the top of the glass .. then let the ice melt ... the water line will still be right where you drew the line on the glass.
Exactly. The only reason the level would increase is where ice is over land like the melt of a glacier. The amount of H2O is constant in the world whether it is in vapor or the ocean.http://www.iceagenow.com /Our_glaciers_are_growing_not_ melting.htm . Some areas are melting and some are growing. I hope this link went through. If you google you will see what I mean about to much information that contradict each other

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen programs that suggest otherwise. Perhaps because of the colder temps in the arctic and their food chain.
Mighty Quinn there is so much hype out there is is very hard to find the truth. Google and you will see information both ways so you don't know who to believe

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Denny, ice is reducing EVERYWHERE - that is why yachts now sail the North West passage without having to use ice-breaking equipment. Here is one example:
http://www.openpassageexpedition.com/
It is a scientific impossibility for sea levels to rise without the melting of ice - the amount of water cannot remain the same.
Ozone holes over the arctic and antartic areas are very real, not bogus: here is one example of them:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/oc... .
I'm curious as to which castle you refer - in most cases, the silting up process is what causes a river to be less significant, not a drop in oceanic levels. Obviously, without knowing to which of the multitude of castles you refer, I can't make a comment.
Btw, research in UK universities is completely separate from the UK government and whilst they do provide some research funding, it would be paranoid to suggest this is for a political agenda - absolutely no evidence to substantiate that claim.
The castle was Bramber. The river was tidal and just west of Brighton. The amount of water is constant. It may be ice, vapor or liquid. The only increase in sea level would be ice that is over land melting and running into the sea

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
It also included housing for serving members of the US armed forces.
Even Romney backed off on the comment (which, given his dislike of ever admitting he was wrong, was unusual to say the least), yet it is still quoted as if it was accurate. It is clear that a proportion of the "47%" do vote Republican: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-575150... - so this was an epic political gaff he made.
Amusing little side comment - the quote is top of Yale's list of quotes of the year, poor ole Mitt even gets second place as well:
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/13/mitt-romn...
Tony his point was that people who don't pay federal tax are not very interested in the tax issue. Nothing wrong with people who don't pay tax it is just not their hot button issue. Just like guns is a hot botton issue for me people who don't have a gun background aren't interested in my hot button issue

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••