Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
The Arctic ice cap is 50% of what is was about 50 years ago. Something is happening, for sure!
Further to my last post ... fill a glass half full of water, then put in ice cubes so they float ... so the water reaches a line near the top of the glass .. then let the ice melt ... the water line will still be right where you drew the line on the glass.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

franko wrote:
<quoted text>it was both Japanese cities . not sure why Hiroshima is the only one mentioned so often. Yep Chernobyl has a zone around it that no one is supposed to enter. I think for another 30 to 50 years?
And people don't think that affects the environment, atmosphere & climate? Seriously!?!?

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

franko wrote:
<quoted text>which makes me wonder .. I am sure Polar Bears can survive on land as well as ice?
I have seen programs that suggest otherwise. Perhaps because of the colder temps in the arctic and their food chain.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

franko wrote:
<quoted text>My family used to watch the WOnderful world of Disney every week ...
Looked forward to it every Sunday night.

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>Looked forward to it every Sunday night.
At one point it was the only show in color!
Remember how programs would start with the announcer saying, "In color!"?

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>At one point it was the only show in color!
I liked My Favorite Martian and Mr. Ed because they were black & white.

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>I liked My Favorite Martian and Mr. Ed because they were black & white.
My favorite was ANY western. The Texan, starring Rory Calhoun was the best!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
And people don't think that affects the environment, atmosphere & climate? Seriously!?!?
Radiation will affect the local environment but I wonder if it will affect the atmosphere enough to affect climate ... that would take an awful lot of bombs....

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen programs that suggest otherwise. Perhaps because of the colder temps in the arctic and their food chain.
food chain could be the answer ... good thinking!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
At one point it was the only show in color!
recently it was "IN HD" and soon it will be "In 3D!"

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>My favorite was ANY western. The Texan, starring Rory Calhoun was the best!
Kung Fu with David Carradine...was that black & white? Remember Wild Wild West with I think it was Robert Conrad?

Westerns? The only one I can think of now is the Lone Ranger ...... Bonanza wasn't really a western was it?

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>Kung Fu with David Carradine...was that black & white? Remember Wild Wild West with I think it was Robert Conrad?

Westerns? The only one I can think of now is the Lone Ranger ...... Bonanza wasn't really a western was it?
Kind a soap opera western. A different crisis with the actors.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Southampton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>There is way to much data out there and some conflicts with others. You don't get research grants unless you bring back the conclusion the government wants. I know NASA set in false data but giving the wrong month for the data. Everything has a political agenda. Ice is reduced in some areas and added in others. Remember the ozone hole over the antarctic that was bogus. I know sea levels have change but the amount of water is a constant. One of my favorite castle was built to guard a river crossing. The ocean must have been higher then because the river is a tiny stream. I love science but I hate people like Al Gore who makes outrageous claims that make him wealthy but the are kust plane lies. You will notice he never appears with scientist who have a different position. Gore is a politician and not a scientist In The mid 70's the best and brightest claimed we were on the edge of an ice age :)
Sorry Denny, ice is reducing EVERYWHERE - that is why yachts now sail the North West passage without having to use ice-breaking equipment. Here is one example:
http://www.openpassageexpedition.com/

It is a scientific impossibility for sea levels to rise without the melting of ice - the amount of water cannot remain the same.

Ozone holes over the arctic and antartic areas are very real, not bogus: here is one example of them:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/oc... .

I'm curious as to which castle you refer - in most cases, the silting up process is what causes a river to be less significant, not a drop in oceanic levels. Obviously, without knowing to which of the multitude of castles you refer, I can't make a comment.

Btw, research in UK universities is completely separate from the UK government and whilst they do provide some research funding, it would be paranoid to suggest this is for a political agenda - absolutely no evidence to substantiate that claim.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Southampton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
That 47% also included veterans' benefits and social security which is earned....EARNED!!
And real estate since the economic crash of '08 was generally in the toilet for a good while, unless one was in a "boom area"; i.e. oil drilling and/or production.
It also included housing for serving members of the US armed forces.
Even Romney backed off on the comment (which, given his dislike of ever admitting he was wrong, was unusual to say the least), yet it is still quoted as if it was accurate. It is clear that a proportion of the "47%" do vote Republican: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-575150... - so this was an epic political gaff he made.

Amusing little side comment - the quote is top of Yale's list of quotes of the year, poor ole Mitt even gets second place as well:
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/13/mitt-romn...

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Southampton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

franko wrote:
<quoted text>which makes me wonder .. I am sure Polar Bears can survive on land as well as ice?
They can, but their area of habitation is the arctic, where the ice cap is what constitutes most of the "dry land". They are found in northern Canada, which there is land land (if that doesn't sound Irish - pace GN) and their main area is the ice flows, which are reducing significantly.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Southampton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

Morning one and all - at least it's not raining here yet, though we have it forecast and yet again, it's a grey morning.

“Lazy Hazy Days of Summer”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

Good Morning All....

Franko...neglected to answer you yesterday, good
luck with the weight loss....gradually does it, as it is gained.

Well I think I am among friends enough to tell you just how my Christmas was!

I was really quite pleased with the meal...everything frell into place nicely and the house looked welcoming....our 'orphan' arrived.
Pre lunch drink, and a chat, and into the meal.

Everything was fine, until I served the pudding. Now that pudding was a dream, bought, not made, but really nice, I served it surrounded by brandy sauce with a little icing sugar on the top of the pud. Dug in, when our guest decided to pour out the gruesome details of his late wife's death...in a lot of detail.

Now tell me, who can carry on eating when such a conversation is taking place?

However, we got through it, although his wife died 18 months ago, understood the need to talk about it...but to me, bad taste at the table.

Moving on, my brother 'phoned later in the day to wish me a Happy Christmas, whilst revealing our sister-in-law had passed away!

Simply had a wonderful Christmas time!

Having a lazy day today...hopefully!....:)

Best Regards to All in the Kitchen.

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Wildbluerose wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Lady Eleanor...
What a precious memory to have of Snow... Just you and your grandbaby all snuggled and warm looking at the snow...
:o)
Chico came to me with his name but he has earned several nicknames since then.. His latest is Cassanova... Both Nicki and Baby are in heat so he is working at talking them both into breaking out of their room... There is a baby gate up in the doorway.. and Chico keeps going there and talking sweet to them... I keep telling Chico.. It ain't gonna happen... NO More Puppies will be made here.. Not if I can help it and so far 3 years running and no unexpected surprises... We are still getting some light snow but it's expected to clear out by tomorrow then they say we have another wave headed our way for the NEW YEAR...
I hope that your night will be a peaceful one and that all of your dreams will be just as sweet as you are...
((Love-n-Hugs))
@}-'--,---
Hi Dear Rose...aw that poor boy...mebbe 'love will find a way'
but don't blame you in the slightest for keeping them seperate.
Really cute names. I tell you I bought a Chi in Spain? Fellow parading the tiny puppy on a pavement so hot you could fry an egg on it (if you had a mind to) anyway, I was 21, I bought the puppy off him with all my holiday spending money, I was nearing the end of the holiday, then I am debating do I take a chance and smuggle him in my handbag on the 'plane, didn't fancy a spell in HM prison, so the hotel maid, who was really really caring, offered to have him, I went to her farm and was satisfied he would be fine there.....
Dear me...more snow? Getting colder here but no sign of any here, and, it is actually dry today.
Have a wonderful day in your Winter Wonderland Rose, but do take care, and keep warm and well nourished. <3 xoxoxox

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
It also included housing for serving members of the US armed forces.
Even Romney backed off on the comment (which, given his dislike of ever admitting he was wrong, was unusual to say the least), yet it is still quoted as if it was accurate. It is clear that a proportion of the "47%" do vote Republican: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-575150... - so this was an epic political gaff he made.
Amusing little side comment - the quote is top of Yale's list of quotes of the year, poor ole Mitt even gets second place as well:
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/13/mitt-romn...
Cutting in Tony, I see a number of council leaders have warned the government that proposed benefit cuts here may cause civil unrest.
It isn't surprising if those people will have less income but still no jobs. Would appreciate your opinion....

I am slso very perplexed as to how one journalist in my newspaper, considers the liberal party to blame for the recent crimes, naming that of the 68 yr. old church organist been murdered on his way to play the organ at Midnight Mass. How can one party be to blame?

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hadn't thought about that. What made that worse though were the unscrupulous businessmen in the US who promised the Europeans gold to come to here only to deliver poor wages and awful working conditions. It is detailed in "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle
The Chicago stockyards for meat parking were a horrible and dangerous place for the immigrants to work and the wages were quite paltry. People died and were permanently injured. The immigrants came with hope because of lies.
I hope you can find the book. Maybe Amazon. It's not a long read but was required in school. Gives you a flavor of Chicago in the 1800s and early 1900s. The smell of the stockyards permeated the air well into the 1970s.
Sent from my iPhone
I have made a note of that, and will look around for a copy, should find on Amazon. I am impressed with Amazon, I have a monthly subscription for quality pet food, it is delivered free of charge, which helps keep the costs down, plus, my lugging it back from the shops.
Anyway, am digressing. The working...and living ..conditions in which our ancestors had were appalling, there and here. They lived like pigs, they had no choice, yet had decent trades.
Many Irish came to Manchester, England, before, during, and slightly after The Famine. They were greeted with boarding houses displaying signs which read 'No Dogs, No Irish'. Pretty disgusting.
I had occasion to take a trip down the Manchester Ship Canal from Liverpool to Manchester..learnt on that voyage how the Irish had painstakingly cut out the canal, working all the hours God sends, for very little reward. Men who had trades at their fingertips.
Then again Quincy, the men who worked in the Quarries here worked in dreadful conditions..no health and safety then, those who travelled here from Anglesey stayed in Baracks...the quarry owners (English) horses stables were far more grand..and water proof with it. Yet the quarry workers never swore, they built schools for their children so they would have a better chance than they, yet they even had to buy their own water...which was rain water.
Makes my blood boil!
Discussing it with other emigres like myself, I hear 'well, at least they had work'...!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

173 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
FREE hot dogs on National Hot Dog Day 2 min rePIGpublican 4
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 3 min the wandering girl 5,652
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 3 min -Lea- 14,857
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 5 min Old Sam 25,564
The Night Owl Saloon (Jun '11) 8 min middleman1 15,592
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 11 min 75 Scorpio 6,789
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 12 min wichita-rick 141,210
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 50 min Old Sam 13,013
Marine Biologist: 6th-Grader Stole My Idea 2 hr Instigator 1