Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#20660 Dec 29, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
G'Morning Sir Tally....they don't make them like that any more,
more is the pity....some excellent movies made these days true, but
those old black and white's had a kind of magic. I watched 'Shane' for the umpteenth time the other night, brilliant.
Enjoy your afternoon...
I was thinking about he realistic aspect of some movies, then and now .... when I responded to Tally;s post.

But it the name of movie accuracy ... not everyone dies instantly when shot as they often did in the old cowboy and war movies .. unless the bullet hits the head or the heart, a person does not drop dead on the spot ... they lay there and bleed and are often conscious ... so a lot of the old movies were not accurate in that respect ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20661 Dec 29, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to have to show my ignorance here Boomer,
potatoes with sour cream? How so?
One of the sides I serve is boiled parsnips mashed with
double cream (Elmlea) so I am guessing potatoes mashed
with sour cream? More tart than with cream or butter?
Sounds good to me....
And as Quincy says, bits of bacon added...even better.
most common is baked potatoes ... leave them in the oven, with skin still on .. for an hour or so ... then cut the potatoe sin half, alply some butter and slather on sour cream on top .. also with bacon nits or green onions ...

Many people here eat the potatoe skin . do they in the UK?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20662 Dec 29, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
well, there you are ... herring from the German side, cabbage from the Irish side, I'm thinking.
Corned beef and cabbage I mentioned the other day probably is Irish, or Scots-Irish, tradition??
cabbage is actualy big in Germany too ... for example Saurkraut ...

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20663 Dec 29, 2012
NeverMissed wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe I'll go back and read a couple.

Lol.
I'd be honored!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20664 Dec 29, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>OH, a couple of Nuclear bombs can pretty much make the surrounding 100 km uninhabitable for a few decades ....
Hiroshima and surrounding still isn't the same is it....or was it Nagasaki ?? And we know Chernobyl certainly isn't!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20665 Dec 29, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I agree ... 2 degrees warmer in fact is all it takes for that flooding calamity to occur, if that change was worldwide....

There are glaciers all over the planet that have receded and in some cases nearly dissapeared completely. Greenland has more green space than it ever did. Archaelogical records show that, indeed, ocean water levels have been both lower and higher than they are currently ... so we know it can happen.
Another reason why polar bears are dying off....

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20666 Dec 29, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>sometimes I feel some of those old sayings are kind of pessimistic ...
Ya think?!?
;-)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20667 Dec 29, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I was quite clear on what he meant ... I just disagreed with the comment that those aches and pains serve some sort of positive purpose to "remind us we are alive" ...
Thanks for clarification ... and I understand your point about teens as well.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20668 Dec 29, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I was thinking about he realistic aspect of some movies, then and now .... when I responded to Tally;s post.

But it the name of movie accuracy ... not everyone dies instantly when shot as they often did in the old cowboy and war movies .. unless the bullet hits the head or the heart, a person does not drop dead on the spot ... they lay there and bleed and are often conscious ... so a lot of the old movies were not accurate in that respect ...
Not one for suspending your disbelief are you Boomer? I like some B/Ws and others not so much; there were B/W tv programs I liked too. I loved the Wonderful World of Disney movies on Sunday nights.

Recently saw Rebel without a cause & The Wild One. Liked the Janes Dean movie better; don't much care for Brando.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20669 Dec 29, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>most common is baked potatoes ... leave them in the oven, with skin still on .. for an hour or so ... then cut the potatoe sin half, alply some butter and slather on sour cream on top .. also with bacon nits or green onions ...

Many people here eat the potatoe skin . do they in the UK?
that's the best part

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#20670 Dec 29, 2012
NeverMissed wrote:
I am not going through 400 comments.
;)
How is everyone? Hi up there ^^RM^^.
Good evening to you. Hope you and the girls had a fine Christmas!

informs against BS

#20671 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
Boomer - kids are getting into the same spirit as your family ..... the Burrito Boys
http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2011/dec/23/burr...
The story is from 2011 but I just saw them on the news tonight doing it again this year. Kudos!!
Sent from my iPhone
That was a great story! I saw it this evening also. The lesson learned by the boys ... priceless.

informs against BS

#20672 Dec 29, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I agree ... 2 degrees warmer in fact is all it takes for that flooding calamity to occur, if that change was worldwide....
There are glaciers all over the planet that have receded and in some cases nearly dissapeared completely. Greenland has more green space than it ever did. Archaelogical records show that, indeed, ocean water levels have been both lower and higher than they are currently ... so we know it can happen.
The Arctic ice cap is 50% of what is was about 50 years ago. Something is happening, for sure!

informs against BS

#20673 Dec 29, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
That was not what I was saying. How you can use Hitler as a reference to a group that did some positive things for Black folks in America I don't get.
Two different tones completely!
to continue a theme ... tip of the iceberg, Boomer.

informs against BS

#20674 Dec 29, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>cabbage is actualy big in Germany too ... for example Saurkraut ...
True that! That spurs a memory ... mom and dad made kraut occasionally. Whew !!! Made the house pretty .... aromatic!

informs against BS

#20675 Dec 29, 2012
Wishes for a fine Saturday evening and a great Sunday to the Kitchen-eers.

Get the attire for New Year's Eve sorted!:-)

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20676 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hiroshima and surrounding still isn't the same is it....or was it Nagasaki ?? And we know Chernobyl certainly isn't!
it was both Japanese cities . not sure why Hiroshima is the only one mentioned so often. Yep Chernobyl has a zone around it that no one is supposed to enter. I think for another 30 to 50 years?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20677 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another reason why polar bears are dying off....
which makes me wonder .. I am sure Polar Bears can survive on land as well as ice?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20678 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not one for suspending your disbelief are you Boomer? I like some B/Ws and others not so much; there were B/W tv programs I liked too. I loved the Wonderful World of Disney movies on Sunday nights.
Recently saw Rebel without a cause & The Wild One. Liked the Janes Dean movie better; don't much care for Brando.
My family used to watch the WOnderful world of Disney every week ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20679 Dec 29, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
The Arctic ice cap is 50% of what is was about 50 years ago. Something is happening, for sure!
here is an interesting fact .. the NORTH POLAR CAP melting won't change the water levels at all ... only the ice that is on LAND will affect those levels.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 14 min Agents of Corruption 120,608
Suspected vampire burial unearthed in Poland 14 min Ufo 11
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 15 min Cyan in CA 6,709
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 16 min Cyan in CA 54,822
only TWO words! (Nov '08) 18 min Cyan in CA 25,488
A six word game (Dec '08) 18 min Vector aka Victor... 17,741
Make a Story / 4 Words Only (Nov '08) 19 min Cyan in CA 24,556
True or False Game 28 min Denny CranesPlace 342
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 28 min Wolftracks 148,905
Ebola in America 30 min Cracker Jacks 481