“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20640 Dec 29, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>I am out of vinegar Boomer...I mean REALLY....had to have Tomato Sauce
on my chicken and chips this evening.
So sad :(

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20641 Dec 29, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>You could if you had to Quincy...that was the difference between them and us, we do it from choice, sometimes they had none....
Hadn't thought about that. What made that worse though were the unscrupulous businessmen in the US who promised the Europeans gold to come to here only to deliver poor wages and awful working conditions. It is detailed in "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle

The Chicago stockyards for meat parking were a horrible and dangerous place for the immigrants to work and the wages were quite paltry. People died and were permanently injured. The immigrants came with hope because of lies.

I hope you can find the book. Maybe Amazon. It's not a long read but was required in school. Gives you a flavor of Chicago in the 1800s and early 1900s. The smell of the stockyards permeated the air well into the 1970s.

Sent from my iPhone

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20642 Dec 29, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Do you mean you don't consider the Black Panthers radicals? Hitler was a vegetarian and loved dogs:)
One man's radical is another man's freedom fighter.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20643 Dec 29, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>I understood they settled mostly in the midwest and the east
or wherever they could find work.
Hence my prior comment on Chicago stockyards.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20644 Dec 29, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>I always laugh at the Norewgians and Swedes. They left a cold inhospitable place untill the found a place just as cold and inhospitable place and Settled in Fargo :)
.....and Minnesota!

“My latest victim”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#20645 Dec 29, 2012
I am not going through 400 comments.

;)

How is everyone? Hi up there ^^RM^^.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20646 Dec 29, 2012
NeverMissed wrote:

;)

Hi there NeverMissed. Hope you had a lovely Christmas ..... if you celebrated......or other very nice Winter holiday if there is a different one you enjoy. I'm enjoying the festivities, gathering and outings.

A happy happy new year to you filled with good health. If we have that, we have everything.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20647 Dec 29, 2012
NeverMissed wrote:

;)

Sorry :( 200 of them were mine......and typed on my phone!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20648 Dec 29, 2012
Boomer - kids are getting into the same spirit as your family ..... the Burrito Boys

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2011/dec/23/burr...

The story is from 2011 but I just saw them on the news tonight doing it again this year. Kudos!!

Sent from my iPhone

“My latest victim”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#20649 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry :( 200 of them were mine......and typed on my phone!
Maybe I'll go back and read a couple.

Lol.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#20650 Dec 29, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>No doubt we can influence the air quality. Was it about 4 years ago the volcano in Iceland had such a severe effect that aircraft were grounded for a week or more. Man can do little compared to nature.
OH, a couple of Nuclear bombs can pretty much make the surrounding 100 km uninhabitable for a few decades ....

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20651 Dec 29, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
You may or may not be right that it is a cycle, but unless we change our activity (unlikely), we will never know. You refer to the UEA incident a couple of years back:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenhagen-c... .
The accuser is revealed in this article, he had his own agenda. They have never found the hacker:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/ju...
You will note from the second article that all scientists involved have been exonerated in subsequent enquiries into their scientific methodology. But that didn't make headline news - you had to be in the UK and follow the story to know that there was no manipulation of data as claimed. So to claim it invalidated anything is not correct.
No one has forced a change in name - the climate scientists themselves did this to reflect more accurately the nature of what is happening as "global warming" gave non-scientists a misguided impression - as you show with the second part of your post.
A few degrees warmer would be a calamity for the UK. Are you aware how low-laying much of our coastline is? The melting of the ice caps/glaciers and the subsequent rise in sea levels has the potential to innundate hundreds of square miles. And the red herring is methane from cows, not sheep - irrelevant to the issue as they've always been around.
Even the US Environmental Agency admits warming has accelerated:
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/indi...
Useful little research tool the internet proves to be.
I agree ... 2 degrees warmer in fact is all it takes for that flooding calamity to occur, if that change was worldwide....

There are glaciers all over the planet that have receded and in some cases nearly dissapeared completely. Greenland has more green space than it ever did. Archaelogical records show that, indeed, ocean water levels have been both lower and higher than they are currently ... so we know it can happen.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20652 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Having said that, human beings are responsible for toxic waste being dumped in the lakes, rivers & oceans; cutting forests in the US and tropical rain forests; over fishing and hunting, yes hunting the exotic big cats, seals, gorillas, and other species to the point if extinction.....
It may be vain to think we could control the weather, which we can't; but its downright hubris to think we can continue down this road and destroy the plant and kill the animals without consequence.
I agree ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20653 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
That explains it!!!
The pathway to h*ll is paved with good intentions..........so my aunt used to say
sometimes I feel some of those old sayings are kind of pessimistic ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20654 Dec 29, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
You may or may not be right that it is a cycle, but unless we change our activity (unlikely), we will never know. You refer to the UEA incident a couple of years back:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenhagen-c... .
The accuser is revealed in this article, he had his own agenda. They have never found the hacker:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/ju...
You will note from the second article that all scientists involved have been exonerated in subsequent enquiries into their scientific methodology. But that didn't make headline news - you had to be in the UK and follow the story to know that there was no manipulation of data as claimed. So to claim it invalidated anything is not correct.
No one has forced a change in name - the climate scientists themselves did this to reflect more accurately the nature of what is happening as "global warming" gave non-scientists a misguided impression - as you show with the second part of your post.
A few degrees warmer would be a calamity for the UK. Are you aware how low-laying much of our coastline is? The melting of the ice caps/glaciers and the subsequent rise in sea levels has the potential to innundate hundreds of square miles. And the red herring is methane from cows, not sheep - irrelevant to the issue as they've always been around.
Even the US Environmental Agency admits warming has accelerated:
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/indi...
Useful little research tool the internet proves to be.
I believe all grass eating animals produce methane?

As humans multiply and we consume more meat, we will increase the number of livestock as well ... hence we directly affect how much methane is produced. I read that here are more than twice the number of cows, horses and sheep in the world as there were less than a century ago ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20655 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he was referring to my bad back, hip & knee and the aging process :-)
I was quite clear on what he meant ... I just disagreed with the comment that those aches and pains serve some sort of positive purpose to "remind us we are alive" ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20656 Dec 29, 2012
tallyho wrote:
good morning Lady EL/Madame Grace ladies and gents of the realm and the kit krue ..
Sat my fav weekday { wonder if that is correct}
because all the black/white movies are on
you know where you shoot a person they stay dead , a car crashes and doesn't blow up , women don't stand in the middle of a square
and gets shot at by the combined forces of the Bolivian army and never gets hit while she picks them off two at a time
Hey REB . hows it going ... no luck reaching that queen?

I agree with you on the reality aspect of some movies these days ...

Like in the Movie COMANDO with Mr. Swartzenegger .. he runs across a field with a dozen people shooting MACHINE GUNS at him and he only gets slightly nicked once!!!!! IN reality, he would have been shredded to tiny pieces before he ran 30 feet!

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

#20657 Dec 29, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Do you mean you don't consider the Black Panthers radicals? Hitler was a vegetarian and loved dogs:)
That was not what I was saying. How you can use Hitler as a reference to a group that did some positive things for Black folks in America I don't get.
Two different tones completely!

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

The Milky Way

#20658 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>Your chips or your fish? I thought the vinegar was for the fish.
Always the chips! I enjoy my fish plain.

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

The Milky Way

#20659 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>One man's radical is another man's freedom fighter.
Good point!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 7 min Papa Smurfaletto 4,320
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 10 min _FLATLINE-------- 3,275
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 11 min Papa Smurfaletto 56,676
News Baltimore Mom Catches Her Son Rioting, Beats Hi... 12 min Ferret Slapper 187
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 13 min DanFromSmithville 161,772
Poll Change ONE letter or add ONE letter (Jan '13) 16 min Papa Smurfaletto 979
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 20 min Papa Smurfaletto 5,574
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 26 min took you long enough 29,006
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Lumatrix 161,826
Things that make life eaiser... 1 hr Ted Newsagent 268
News Naked Couple Busted For Sex In Library Loo 4 hr Al Shrapnel 25
More from around the web