El's Kitchen

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20647 Dec 29, 2012
NeverMissed wrote:
I am not going through 400 comments.

;)

How is everyone? Hi up there ^^RM^^.
Sorry :( 200 of them were mine......and typed on my phone!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20648 Dec 29, 2012
Boomer - kids are getting into the same spirit as your family ..... the Burrito Boys

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2011/dec/23/burr...

The story is from 2011 but I just saw them on the news tonight doing it again this year. Kudos!!

Sent from my iPhone

“My latest victim”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#20649 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry :( 200 of them were mine......and typed on my phone!
Maybe I'll go back and read a couple.

Lol.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#20650 Dec 29, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>No doubt we can influence the air quality. Was it about 4 years ago the volcano in Iceland had such a severe effect that aircraft were grounded for a week or more. Man can do little compared to nature.
OH, a couple of Nuclear bombs can pretty much make the surrounding 100 km uninhabitable for a few decades ....

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#20651 Dec 29, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
You may or may not be right that it is a cycle, but unless we change our activity (unlikely), we will never know. You refer to the UEA incident a couple of years back:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenhagen-c... .
The accuser is revealed in this article, he had his own agenda. They have never found the hacker:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/ju...
You will note from the second article that all scientists involved have been exonerated in subsequent enquiries into their scientific methodology. But that didn't make headline news - you had to be in the UK and follow the story to know that there was no manipulation of data as claimed. So to claim it invalidated anything is not correct.
No one has forced a change in name - the climate scientists themselves did this to reflect more accurately the nature of what is happening as "global warming" gave non-scientists a misguided impression - as you show with the second part of your post.
A few degrees warmer would be a calamity for the UK. Are you aware how low-laying much of our coastline is? The melting of the ice caps/glaciers and the subsequent rise in sea levels has the potential to innundate hundreds of square miles. And the red herring is methane from cows, not sheep - irrelevant to the issue as they've always been around.
Even the US Environmental Agency admits warming has accelerated:
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/indi...
Useful little research tool the internet proves to be.
I agree ... 2 degrees warmer in fact is all it takes for that flooding calamity to occur, if that change was worldwide....

There are glaciers all over the planet that have receded and in some cases nearly dissapeared completely. Greenland has more green space than it ever did. Archaelogical records show that, indeed, ocean water levels have been both lower and higher than they are currently ... so we know it can happen.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#20652 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Having said that, human beings are responsible for toxic waste being dumped in the lakes, rivers & oceans; cutting forests in the US and tropical rain forests; over fishing and hunting, yes hunting the exotic big cats, seals, gorillas, and other species to the point if extinction.....
It may be vain to think we could control the weather, which we can't; but its downright hubris to think we can continue down this road and destroy the plant and kill the animals without consequence.
I agree ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#20653 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
That explains it!!!
The pathway to h*ll is paved with good intentions..........so my aunt used to say
sometimes I feel some of those old sayings are kind of pessimistic ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#20654 Dec 29, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
You may or may not be right that it is a cycle, but unless we change our activity (unlikely), we will never know. You refer to the UEA incident a couple of years back:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenhagen-c... .
The accuser is revealed in this article, he had his own agenda. They have never found the hacker:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/ju...
You will note from the second article that all scientists involved have been exonerated in subsequent enquiries into their scientific methodology. But that didn't make headline news - you had to be in the UK and follow the story to know that there was no manipulation of data as claimed. So to claim it invalidated anything is not correct.
No one has forced a change in name - the climate scientists themselves did this to reflect more accurately the nature of what is happening as "global warming" gave non-scientists a misguided impression - as you show with the second part of your post.
A few degrees warmer would be a calamity for the UK. Are you aware how low-laying much of our coastline is? The melting of the ice caps/glaciers and the subsequent rise in sea levels has the potential to innundate hundreds of square miles. And the red herring is methane from cows, not sheep - irrelevant to the issue as they've always been around.
Even the US Environmental Agency admits warming has accelerated:
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/indi...
Useful little research tool the internet proves to be.
I believe all grass eating animals produce methane?

As humans multiply and we consume more meat, we will increase the number of livestock as well ... hence we directly affect how much methane is produced. I read that here are more than twice the number of cows, horses and sheep in the world as there were less than a century ago ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#20655 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he was referring to my bad back, hip & knee and the aging process :-)
I was quite clear on what he meant ... I just disagreed with the comment that those aches and pains serve some sort of positive purpose to "remind us we are alive" ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#20656 Dec 29, 2012
tallyho wrote:
good morning Lady EL/Madame Grace ladies and gents of the realm and the kit krue ..
Sat my fav weekday { wonder if that is correct}
because all the black/white movies are on
you know where you shoot a person they stay dead , a car crashes and doesn't blow up , women don't stand in the middle of a square
and gets shot at by the combined forces of the Bolivian army and never gets hit while she picks them off two at a time
Hey REB . hows it going ... no luck reaching that queen?

I agree with you on the reality aspect of some movies these days ...

Like in the Movie COMANDO with Mr. Swartzenegger .. he runs across a field with a dozen people shooting MACHINE GUNS at him and he only gets slightly nicked once!!!!! IN reality, he would have been shredded to tiny pieces before he ran 30 feet!

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

#20657 Dec 29, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Do you mean you don't consider the Black Panthers radicals? Hitler was a vegetarian and loved dogs:)
That was not what I was saying. How you can use Hitler as a reference to a group that did some positive things for Black folks in America I don't get.
Two different tones completely!

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

#20658 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>Your chips or your fish? I thought the vinegar was for the fish.
Always the chips! I enjoy my fish plain.

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

#20659 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>One man's radical is another man's freedom fighter.
Good point!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#20660 Dec 29, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
G'Morning Sir Tally....they don't make them like that any more,
more is the pity....some excellent movies made these days true, but
those old black and white's had a kind of magic. I watched 'Shane' for the umpteenth time the other night, brilliant.
Enjoy your afternoon...
I was thinking about he realistic aspect of some movies, then and now .... when I responded to Tally;s post.

But it the name of movie accuracy ... not everyone dies instantly when shot as they often did in the old cowboy and war movies .. unless the bullet hits the head or the heart, a person does not drop dead on the spot ... they lay there and bleed and are often conscious ... so a lot of the old movies were not accurate in that respect ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#20661 Dec 29, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to have to show my ignorance here Boomer,
potatoes with sour cream? How so?
One of the sides I serve is boiled parsnips mashed with
double cream (Elmlea) so I am guessing potatoes mashed
with sour cream? More tart than with cream or butter?
Sounds good to me....
And as Quincy says, bits of bacon added...even better.
most common is baked potatoes ... leave them in the oven, with skin still on .. for an hour or so ... then cut the potatoe sin half, alply some butter and slather on sour cream on top .. also with bacon nits or green onions ...

Many people here eat the potatoe skin . do they in the UK?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#20662 Dec 29, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
well, there you are ... herring from the German side, cabbage from the Irish side, I'm thinking.
Corned beef and cabbage I mentioned the other day probably is Irish, or Scots-Irish, tradition??
cabbage is actualy big in Germany too ... for example Saurkraut ...

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20663 Dec 29, 2012
NeverMissed wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe I'll go back and read a couple.

Lol.
I'd be honored!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20664 Dec 29, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>OH, a couple of Nuclear bombs can pretty much make the surrounding 100 km uninhabitable for a few decades ....
Hiroshima and surrounding still isn't the same is it....or was it Nagasaki ?? And we know Chernobyl certainly isn't!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20665 Dec 29, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I agree ... 2 degrees warmer in fact is all it takes for that flooding calamity to occur, if that change was worldwide....

There are glaciers all over the planet that have receded and in some cases nearly dissapeared completely. Greenland has more green space than it ever did. Archaelogical records show that, indeed, ocean water levels have been both lower and higher than they are currently ... so we know it can happen.
Another reason why polar bears are dying off....

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20666 Dec 29, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>sometimes I feel some of those old sayings are kind of pessimistic ...
Ya think?!?
;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 4 min xxxooxxx 5,089
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 7 min xxxooxxx 215,179
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 12 min -Prince- 149,979
News 'Rocky' pet shop demolished in Philadelphia 13 min charlie 4
Word Association (Mar '10) 15 min xxxooxxx 22,080
True False Game (Jun '11) 16 min charlie 14,543
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 19 min charlie 15,795
A to Z songs by title or group! 25 min charlie 1,527
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr Crazy Jae 3,717
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 2 hr UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 2,025
What have you learned in your years on Earth? (Jun '10) 4 hr Goku---Black 137
More from around the web