Chopped BBQ what??
LOL!

“Poppies. Tower of London”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

#20621 Dec 29, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
A potatoe can be a whole food dressed up! Yummy!
Lady El, please pass the vinegar for my chips, please.
I am out of vinegar Boomer...I mean REALLY....had to have Tomato Sauce
on my chicken and chips this evening.

Manchester, UK

#20622 Dec 29, 2012
Wildbluerose wrote:
Good Morning Lady Eleanor...
WE HAVE SNOW!!! Real Snow.. not that slushy yucky stuff but instead that beautiful white dusting in the trees and covering the land in a glistening blanket of pure white... Winter Wonderland Pretty... till I had to go and shovel a path for those short legged critters of mine.. The snow is about 5 inches deep and Chico's legs are about 4 inches long..hahahahaha
This is the first real snow of winter as far as my location is concerned... Up north towards Cousin Lukes and Paisleys they really got hit with some snow...
I hope that all is well with Your and Yours and that you are safe and warm.. Sending you all of my warmest wishes... and I hope that no matter what you do today you will enjoy yourself...
((Love-n-Hugs))
@}-'--,---
Hello Dear Rose....that's an awful lot of snow but you paint a
beautiful picture...hope it stays at that and no more fall.
I saw the atrocious weather y'all are having on our news channel,
pretty but treachorous...do be careful out there.(just had a flash of Hill St. Blues saying that, remember that?)
I am near the coast so it rarely snows here, the last 'decent' fall
I saw was back home just before leaving for here, my little grandaughter and I were cut off from the rest of the world, nobody could get through, it was fabulous.
Cute name you called your little pooch..Chico...short and sweet just like
him!
Take good care my friend...and have a lovely evening.xoxoxox

Manchester, UK

#20623 Dec 29, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't know about Italians, Russians, or other ethnicities, but German immigrants populated various segments of Texas and helped make that big state what it is; as did the natives, the Mexicans, the settlers from the southern and Appalachian states (the latter two regions is where you all get "y'all" and stuff).
There are/were German settlements and hence, your state's German festivals.
http://www.google.com/search...
Interesting. Surprising how much we learn between us.

Manchester, UK

#20624 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're absolutely right El. To just pick up and leave what you've known. I don't think I could move half way across the US, let alone half way across the world!
You could if you had to Quincy...that was the difference between them and us, we do it from choice, sometimes they had none....

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

#20625 Dec 29, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
"NASA was caught cooking the books."
Would you care to enlighten us about that ? How ?
"There is politics not science behind much of this."
boy howdy! There sure is! Ahem ....
It has been a few years ago. They were giving data from satellite weather reports. Basically they said something like it is the warmest March temp when the data was not for the month they stated but two months closer to summer. Naturally it was warmer

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20626 Dec 29, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Now one thing you have in large cities in the North that you don't see much in the south and the German areas or the Italian or the Russian or what ever. Now we have Black areas and Spanish but we don't have all the other groupings
Wonder why the Europeans settled in the Midwest & north? Reminded them of home maybe.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20627 Dec 29, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>oh for sure! all that Boomer and you added. It's makes a baked potato dangerous to eat, but ...

OH, so good!{nod to Mr. Food -- RIP)
If you've seen "eat this not that" I understand my favorite restaurant - The Cheesecake Factory-- is in the NOT list.

I don't partake of loaded potatoes often but when I do it's all the fixings!

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20628 Dec 29, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
Now Denny, there is one thing that remains since the repeal of Prohibition.
Can you name it?
My point, there is some good that comes out of stuff whether it has an impact personally or not.
Now, the answer to the above question is...
Wait....
One more...
NASCAR!
Hell prohibition started NASCAR ! Remember Thunder Road?

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20629 Dec 29, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
Denny, what is interesting about the school feeding program is beyond what most people think.
Back in the mid 60's the Black Panther Party started free breakfast programs in major metropolitan areas. It's design was simple: stop in, eat a breakfast prepared by volunteers,( I was a server ) and be walked to school by other volunteers. The Party also started free health clinics for inner city residents but was open to anyone! Preventative health care, pre-natal, STD testing, etc.
Once these folks were termed radicals by the government, these programs became their wards with the exception of health care!
Do you mean you don't consider the Black Panthers radicals? Hitler was a vegetarian and loved dogs:)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20630 Dec 29, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>well, there you are ... herring from the German side, cabbage from the Irish side, I'm thinking.

Corned beef and cabbage I mentioned the other day probably is Irish, or Scots-Irish, tradition??
It's called a New England Boil in my cookbook. Mom always three the cabbage in with the corned beef for added flavor. And don't forget the baby carrots and new red potatoes!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20631 Dec 29, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
Denny, what is interesting about the school feeding program is beyond what most people think.
Back in the mid 60's the Black Panther Party started free breakfast programs in major metropolitan areas. It's design was simple: stop in, eat a breakfast prepared by volunteers,( I was a server ) and be walked to school by other volunteers. The Party also started free health clinics for inner city residents but was open to anyone! Preventative health care, pre-natal, STD testing, etc.
Once these folks were termed radicals by the government, these programs became their wards with the exception of health care!
Learn something new every day.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20632 Dec 29, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't know about Italians, Russians, or other ethnicities, but German immigrants populated various segments of Texas and helped make that big state what it is; as did the natives, the Mexicans, the settlers from the southern and Appalachian states (the latter two regions is where you all get "y'all" and stuff).
There are/were German settlements and hence, your state's German festivals.
http://www.google.com/search...
Very true that are German and other towns. Like Munster. But I mean where all the immigrants of one group live in these 6 blocks and all the immigrants of another group live in the next 6 blocks all in a big city. In Dallas for example we don't have a Russian area like Brighton Beach or a Polish section of town. That never seemed to exist in the big cities of the south. They developed on Black White section.

Manchester, UK

#20633 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonder why the Europeans settled in the Midwest & north? Reminded them of home maybe.
I understood they settled mostly in the midwest and the east
or wherever they could find work.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20634 Dec 29, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>A potatoe can be a whole food dressed up! Yummy!
Lady El, please pass the vinegar for my chips, please.
Your chips or your fish? I thought the vinegar was for the fish.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20635 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I always laugh at the Norewgians and Swedes. They left a cold inhospitable place untill the found a place just as cold and inhospitable place and Settled in Fargo :)

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20636 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called a New England Boil in my cookbook. Mom always three the cabbage in with the corned beef for added flavor. And don't forget the baby carrots and new red potatoes!
The New England boil is much like food in England. Lots of good root veg :)

“Ridin' The Devils Little Horse”

Since: Mar 08

Straight To Hells Door

#20637 Dec 29, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Dear Rose....that's an awful lot of snow but you paint a
beautiful picture...hope it stays at that and no more fall.
I saw the atrocious weather y'all are having on our news channel,
pretty but treachorous...do be careful out there.(just had a flash of Hill St. Blues saying that, remember that?)
I am near the coast so it rarely snows here, the last 'decent' fall
I saw was back home just before leaving for here, my little grandaughter and I were cut off from the rest of the world, nobody could get through, it was fabulous.
Cute name you called your little pooch..Chico...short and sweet just like
him!
Take good care my friend...and have a lovely evening.xoxoxox
Hi Lady Eleanor...
What a precious memory to have of Snow... Just you and your grandbaby all snuggled and warm looking at the snow...
:o)
Chico came to me with his name but he has earned several nicknames since then.. His latest is Cassanova... Both Nicki and Baby are in heat so he is working at talking them both into breaking out of their room... There is a baby gate up in the doorway.. and Chico keeps going there and talking sweet to them... I keep telling Chico.. It ain't gonna happen... NO More Puppies will be made here.. Not if I can help it and so far 3 years running and no unexpected surprises... We are still getting some light snow but it's expected to clear out by tomorrow then they say we have another wave headed our way for the NEW YEAR...
I hope that your night will be a peaceful one and that all of your dreams will be just as sweet as you are...
((Love-n-Hugs))
@}-'--,---

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20638 Dec 29, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>That 47% also included veterans' benefits and social security which is earned....EARNED!!

And real estate since the economic crash of '08 was generally in the toilet for a good while, unless one was in a "boom area"; i.e. oil drilling and/or production.
In the Chicago area the downward spiral started to trickle in 2006. My husband is a land surveyor and large construction layout came to a screeching halt out here in late '07 - early '08. That's when his layoffs started. Real estate transactions dried up in 2006 and I moved to Macy's. they kept cutting hours and by the time I left in 2010 I was working 8 hours.....yes 8 hours a week for less than $9.00 an hour (PS Denny, I did work a second seasonal job scoring state elementary school tests an last year did work for Texas).

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20639 Dec 29, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>That 47% also included veterans' benefits and social security which is earned....EARNED!!

And real estate since the economic crash of '08 was generally in the toilet for a good while, unless one was in a "boom area"; i.e. oil drilling and/or production.
Social security and Medicare are EARNED too.....most of the seniors collecting paid into the programs for decades. Who gets the SSA money for people who die before retirement age & have no surviving spouse? Someone paid into it and never got to collect.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 9 min Tom2Tone 145,241
Fergson Police Dept. 13 min TALLYHO 8541 383
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 22 min Princess Hey 6,528
*=* Hoosier Hillbilly *=* 24 min Princess Hey 35
only TWO words! (Nov '08) 38 min _Brenda_ 25,341
Big dawg 46 min Princess Hey 404
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 47 min Grace Nerissa 29,155
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 2 hr -Lea- 18,593
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 3 hr Krypteia 28,506
What's your tip for the day? 3 hr Rose of Tralee 808