El's Kitchen

Posted in the Weird Forum

Comments (Page 1,015)

Showing posts 20,281 - 20,300 of34,729
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Ridin' The Devils Little Horse”

Since: Mar 08

Straight To Hells Door

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20596
Dec 29, 2012
 
Good Morning Lady Eleanor...
WE HAVE SNOW!!! Real Snow.. not that slushy yucky stuff but instead that beautiful white dusting in the trees and covering the land in a glistening blanket of pure white... Winter Wonderland Pretty... till I had to go and shovel a path for those short legged critters of mine.. The snow is about 5 inches deep and Chico's legs are about 4 inches long..hahahahaha
This is the first real snow of winter as far as my location is concerned... Up north towards Cousin Lukes and Paisleys they really got hit with some snow...
I hope that all is well with Your and Yours and that you are safe and warm.. Sending you all of my warmest wishes... and I hope that no matter what you do today you will enjoy yourself...
((Love-n-Hugs))
@}-'--,---

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20597
Dec 29, 2012
 
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>We have some fascinating 'pedigrees' between us all in this
kitchen Quincy...our ancestors contributed so much by bringing
their own traditions and customs over to where they emigrated.
I found I learnt history moreso than I ever did at school when
researching family history...and how brave of them to seek a better life by travelling all the thousands of miles they did.
No jet planes in those days.
I find the Ellis Island website fascinating, found a number of my own there...actually found one who had signed a document...his signature was almost identical to that of my Uncle, a flamboyant W,
a distinctive C...it was errie...and centuries separated them.
You're absolutely right El. To just pick up and leave what you've known. I don't think I could move half way across the US, let alone half way across the world!

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20598
Dec 29, 2012
 
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>I'm going to have to show my ignorance here Boomer,
potatoes with sour cream? How so?
One of the sides I serve is boiled parsnips mashed with
double cream (Elmlea) so I am guessing potatoes mashed
with sour cream? More tart than with cream or butter?
Sounds good to me....
And as Quincy says, bits of bacon added...even better.
Some of the newer sour creams have great extras like chives. I use that and a veggie sour cream on baked and mashed spuds.

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20599
Dec 29, 2012
 
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>You bake them whole in the oven - when done cut open the top and pile on your favorite toppings....butter, sour cream, chives, cheese & bacon bits.
I have found a creamy spinach dip that is great on a baked potato. Yummy!
For the cheese lover bleu cheese and bacon bits!!
Time to go shovel the drive...
Have a great Saturday folks.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20601
Dec 29, 2012
 
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
You may or may not be right that it is a cycle, but unless we change our activity (unlikely), we will never know. You refer to the UEA incident a couple of years back:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenhagen-c... .
The accuser is revealed in this article, he had his own agenda. They have never found the hacker:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/ju...
You will note from the second article that all scientists involved have been exonerated in subsequent enquiries into their scientific methodology. But that didn't make headline news - you had to be in the UK and follow the story to know that there was no manipulation of data as claimed. So to claim it invalidated anything is not correct.
No one has forced a change in name - the climate scientists themselves did this to reflect more accurately the nature of what is happening as "global warming" gave non-scientists a misguided impression - as you show with the second part of your post.
A few degrees warmer would be a calamity for the UK. Are you aware how low-laying much of our coastline is? The melting of the ice caps/glaciers and the subsequent rise in sea levels has the potential to innundate hundreds of square miles. And the red herring is methane from cows, not sheep - irrelevant to the issue as they've always been around.
Even the US Environmental Agency admits warming has accelerated:
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/indi...
Useful little research tool the internet proves to be.
There is way to much data out there and some conflicts with others. You don't get research grants unless you bring back the conclusion the government wants. I know NASA set in false data but giving the wrong month for the data. Everything has a political agenda. Ice is reduced in some areas and added in others. Remember the ozone hole over the antarctic that was bogus. I know sea levels have change but the amount of water is a constant. One of my favorite castle was built to guard a river crossing. The ocean must have been higher then because the river is a tiny stream. I love science but I hate people like Al Gore who makes outrageous claims that make him wealthy but the are kust plane lies. You will notice he never appears with scientist who have a different position. Gore is a politician and not a scientist In The mid 70's the best and brightest claimed we were on the edge of an ice age :)

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20602
Dec 29, 2012
 
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
There were nowhere near as many cars on the road, air conditioning units, industrial companies spewing pollution, or oil production companies spilling into the groundwater 1000 years ago so 'climate patterns' is kind of irrelevant. You may as well compare apples, oranges and walnuts.
You know when there was real pollution? Imagine London that was coal fired and horses were the transportation :)

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20603
Dec 29, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
You just hate liberal democrats Denny, be honest.......
Hate is a very strong word. Some of my best friends on topix are so very liberal. I can disagree with someones position with out taking it personally. I do hate those in a position of power who can and will do my country great harm. I believe in helping people who can't help themselves. I don't believe it takes a village to raise a child. It take a parent. We now feed kids in school 2 meals a day from the federal government. We have what 42 million on food stamps? We have government advertizing of how easy it is to get food stamps. Work gives you are more than just money. It gives you honor and self respect without dependency. You know the National parks tell you to not feed the animals. It makes them dependent. They sure want more voters to be dependent. I know such a big deal was made over Romney saying 47% pay no federal income tax. That is just true and it is also people who don't pay federal income tax are less likely to car what level the taxes are on the people who do pay income tax. Why does Obama want to increase the taxes of the top 1 or 2%? Because they only are 2% of the vote :) France just tried to tax at a 75% rate. At a certain point people vote with their feet. California is bankrupt and people are moving out to states with no state income tax like Texas.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20604
Dec 29, 2012
 
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to have to show my ignorance here Boomer,
potatoes with sour cream? How so?
One of the sides I serve is boiled parsnips mashed with
double cream (Elmlea) so I am guessing potatoes mashed
with sour cream? More tart than with cream or butter?
Sounds good to me....
And as Quincy says, bits of bacon added...even better.
No El these are baked not mashed. Served with butter sour cream cheese chives bacon bits and I like mine with chopped BBQ

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20605
Dec 29, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
My bad, I thought you preferred the lighthearted discussions not the knock down drag outs between me & Denny -- highly opinionated as we are.
Since he likes things with a bang, put Denny on fireworks detail. I've already committed to clean up!
Oh Darlin. I have never felt we have had a knock down drag out on any topic. Very seldom do I get mad about issues. I am sorry if you felt my comments were too sharp to you. I just love debate. I had a full debate scholarship to University of Colorado in Boulder. Thank God I went and joined the Navy so I was not poisoned by that liberal bastion :)In High school we were in state finals and the team that barely be us went on to win Nationals

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20606
Dec 29, 2012
 
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're absolutely right El. To just pick up and leave what you've known. I don't think I could move half way across the US, let alone half way across the world!
Now one thing you have in large cities in the North that you don't see much in the south and the German areas or the Italian or the Russian or what ever. Now we have Black areas and Spanish but we don't have all the other groupings

“defusing Bundy mind-bombs ”

Since: Nov 09

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20608
Dec 29, 2012
 
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Tony there is change without a doubt but it is just a cycle. I just hate all the Al Gore hype with out right lies and exagerations. They had to stop calling it Global warming and call it climate change. One of your big universities was caught cooking the the books. NASA was caught cooking the books. There is politics not science behind much of this. England has changed and it has changed for the better. The sheep on the hill side have been a big element but you wouldn't want to go back to an England covered in forest. A few degrees warmer temps wouldn't hurt England. A better growing season. My first trip to England I was struck by how green it is in the winter. Our winters are brown because our climate is warmer and we have summer grasses where you have winter grasses.
"NASA was caught cooking the books."
Would you care to enlighten us about that ? How ?

"There is politics not science behind much of this."

boy howdy! There sure is! Ahem ....

“defusing Bundy mind-bombs ”

Since: Nov 09

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20609
Dec 29, 2012
 
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
.....don't forget the butter, shredded cheese, and bacon bits......
oh for sure! all that Boomer and you added. It's makes a baked potato dangerous to eat, but ...

OH, so good!{nod to Mr. Food -- RIP)

“defusing Bundy mind-bombs ”

Since: Nov 09

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20610
Dec 29, 2012
 
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
My grandmother was 1st generation American. She was German and a practicing Lutheran when she married my Irish Catholic grandfather. Their families settled in Chicago so I don't know where the tradition/custom started. It could have been brought over from Germany by my ancestors.
well, there you are ... herring from the German side, cabbage from the Irish side, I'm thinking.

Corned beef and cabbage I mentioned the other day probably is Irish, or Scots-Irish, tradition??

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20611
Dec 29, 2012
 
Denny, what is interesting about the school feeding program is beyond what most people think.
Back in the mid 60's the Black Panther Party started free breakfast programs in major metropolitan areas. It's design was simple: stop in, eat a breakfast prepared by volunteers,( I was a server ) and be walked to school by other volunteers. The Party also started free health clinics for inner city residents but was open to anyone! Preventative health care, pre-natal, STD testing, etc.
Once these folks were termed radicals by the government, these programs became their wards with the exception of health care!

“defusing Bundy mind-bombs ”

Since: Nov 09

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20612
Dec 29, 2012
 
Wildbluerose wrote:
Good Morning Lady Eleanor...
WE HAVE SNOW!!! Real Snow.. not that slushy yucky stuff but instead that beautiful white dusting in the trees and covering the land in a glistening blanket of pure white... Winter Wonderland Pretty... till I had to go and shovel a path for those short legged critters of mine.. The snow is about 5 inches deep and Chico's legs are about 4 inches long..hahahahaha
This is the first real snow of winter as far as my location is concerned... Up north towards Cousin Lukes and Paisleys they really got hit with some snow...
I hope that all is well with Your and Yours and that you are safe and warm.. Sending you all of my warmest wishes... and I hope that no matter what you do today you will enjoy yourself...
((Love-n-Hugs))
@}-'--,---
Hello, WBRose!

Well, since you mentioned ... yeah, another 5-6 inches of snow came overnight and early morning here in my part of Hoosierdom to add to the 11-12 inches previous (some which diminished by melting down). Had to do more shoveling and brushing snow off the car late morning. A hot bowl of soup warmed the soul after that!

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20613
Dec 29, 2012
 
Now Denny, there is one thing that remains since the repeal of Prohibition.
Can you name it?
My point, there is some good that comes out of stuff whether it has an impact personally or not.
Now, the answer to the above question is...

Wait....

One more...

NASCAR!

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20614
Dec 29, 2012
 
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>oh for sure! all that Boomer and you added. It's makes a baked potato dangerous to eat, but ...

OH, so good!{nod to Mr. Food -- RIP)
A potatoe can be a whole food dressed up! Yummy!
Lady El, please pass the vinegar for my chips, please.

“defusing Bundy mind-bombs ”

Since: Nov 09

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20615
Dec 29, 2012
 
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Now one thing you have in large cities in the North that you don't see much in the south and the German areas or the Italian or the Russian or what ever. Now we have Black areas and Spanish but we don't have all the other groupings
Don't know about Italians, Russians, or other ethnicities, but German immigrants populated various segments of Texas and helped make that big state what it is; as did the natives, the Mexicans, the settlers from the southern and Appalachian states (the latter two regions is where you all get "y'all" and stuff).

There are/were German settlements and hence, your state's German festivals.

http://www.google.com/search...

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20616
Dec 29, 2012
 
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Hate is a very strong word. Some of my best friends on topix are so very liberal. I can disagree with someones position with out taking it personally. I do hate those in a position of power who can and will do my country great harm. I believe in helping people who can't help themselves. I don't believe it takes a village to raise a child. It take a parent. We now feed kids in school 2 meals a day from the federal government. We have what 42 million on food stamps? We have government advertizing of how easy it is to get food stamps. Work gives you are more than just money. It gives you honor and self respect without dependency. You know the National parks tell you to not feed the animals. It makes them dependent. They sure want more voters to be dependent. I know such a big deal was made over Romney saying 47% pay no federal income tax. That is just true and it is also people who don't pay federal income tax are less likely to car what level the taxes are on the people who do pay income tax. Why does Obama want to increase the taxes of the top 1 or 2%? Because they only are 2% of the vote :) France just tried to tax at a 75% rate. At a certain point people vote with their feet. California is bankrupt and people are moving out to states with no state income tax like Texas.
But Denny, by Romney's definition, I and my husband fell into to 47% group because of multiple layoffs, collecting unemployment and presumably getting the benefit of a COBRA insurance 65% reduction in premiums that Humana never complied with.

It's great you work in R/E and presumably were not impacted. We cannot say the same. Do you think either of us liked being out of work & relying on unemployment, the Catholic Charities (which gets gov money), or the kindness of some friends? We were thisclose to losing our home and health insurance. I have multiple health conditions and cannot not have insurance.

Not all of the "47%" want to be there and it's a gross generalization to suggest we/they do. After 2 years of being told I have no recent paralegal experience, I am incredibly fortunate that the recruiter found me & the manager where I work gave me a chance. I would otherwise still be part of the 47% you hold in such great disdain.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20617
Dec 29, 2012
 
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>No El these are baked not mashed. Served with butter sour cream cheese chives bacon bits and I like mine with chopped BBQ
Chopped BBQ what??

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 20,281 - 20,300 of34,729
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••