Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

franko wrote:
<quoted text>Is there a difference between CONTROl and INFLUENCE the climate?

I do believe that a major change in atmospheric conditions can affect the climate.
There were nowhere near as many cars on the road, air conditioning units, industrial companies spewing pollution, or oil production companies spilling into the groundwater 1000 years ago so 'climate patterns' is kind of irrelevant. You may as well compare apples, oranges and walnuts.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

franko wrote:
<quoted text>I beg to differ ... apparently those teens who are "cutters" do so to let themselves know they are alive ...

I preffer normal sensations or pleasurable ones such as a nice massage or enjoying a nice meal to remind me I'm alive
I think he was referring to my bad back, hip & knee and the aging process :-)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>Food! Yeah baby!! Potatoes rule!!!
Boiled, baked, broiled, French fried, and all the rest.
Lady El, please pass the sour cream...
.....don't forget the butter, shredded cheese, and bacon bits......

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

the planet earth is at its apex of its tilt and now is slowly [ever so] is reversing its wobble

so a few decades from now a new ice age ...

the Shara will become a forest again etc etc
of course we will never see it

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

good morning Lady EL/Madame Grace ladies and gents of the realm and the kit krue ..

Sat my fav weekday { wonder if that is correct}

because all the black/white movies are on

you know where you shoot a person they stay dead , a car crashes and doesn't blow up , women don't stand in the middle of a square
and gets shot at by the combined forces of the Bolivian army and never gets hit while she picks them off two at a time

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>We're very good at talking and pretty poor about doing on climate change. No one wants it, but no one is prepared to do anything radical to stop it: guess that's the story of the history of man. And, as you rightly suggest, there is no certainty as to what is causing it - us or nature. At least if the levels rise, I'll have a beach at the bottom of my garden!
That's the spirit Tony! Always a 'silver lining'.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

franko wrote:
<quoted text>I'll try to remember to ask my Mom about that ...

Was she from near the coast, where they would get fresh fish easily in the olden days? Fish was harder to come by further inland before trains and cars.
My grandmother was 1st generation American. She was German and a practicing Lutheran when she married my Irish Catholic grandfather. Their families settled in Chicago so I don't know where the tradition/custom started. It could have been brought over from Germany by my ancestors.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>No doubt we can influence the air quality. Was it about 4 years ago the volcano in Iceland had such a severe effect that aircraft were grounded for a week or more. Man can do little compared to nature.
No question there Denny. The power of nature is amazing.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing like a good baked potato loaded down with all the good stuff :)
A man after my own heart ..... ;-) <3 :-)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Tony there is change without a doubt but it is just a cycle. I just hate all the Al Gore hype with out right lies and exagerations. They had to stop calling it Global warming and call it climate change. One of your big universities was caught cooking the the books. NASA was caught cooking the books. There is politics not science behind much of this. England has changed and it has changed for the better. The sheep on the hill side have been a big element but you wouldn't want to go back to an England covered in forest. A few degrees warmer temps wouldn't hurt England. A better growing season. My first trip to England I was struck by how green it is in the winter. Our winters are brown because our climate is warmer and we have summer grasses where you have winter grasses.
You just hate liberal democrats Denny, be honest.......

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
My apologies El, I know you're not find of tension in the Kitchen ...... I'll do all the dishes and clean up after the New Year's Eve party :-)

**fond of tension

“Poppies. Tower of London”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

RMQuinn37 wrote:
My apologies El, I know you're not find of tension in the Kitchen ...... I'll do all the dishes and clean up after the New Year's Eve party :-)
.looking over my shoulder to see if you must mean somebody else...

who me? since when? hahaha I like nothing more than a good discussion, even if I don't necessarily join in, but I will
hold you to the washing up..and thanks!...:)

Ordered the fireworks...who will be in charge of them?

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

tallyho wrote:
good morning Lady EL/Madame Grace ladies and gents of the realm and the kit krue ..
Sat my fav weekday { wonder if that is correct}
because all the black/white movies are on
you know where you shoot a person they stay dead , a car crashes and doesn't blow up , women don't stand in the middle of a square
and gets shot at by the combined forces of the Bolivian army and never gets hit while she picks them off two at a time
G'Morning Sir Tally....they don't make them like that any more,
more is the pity....some excellent movies made these days true, but
those old black and white's had a kind of magic. I watched 'Shane' for the umpteenth time the other night, brilliant.
Enjoy your afternoon...

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Food! Yeah baby!! Potatoes rule!!!
Boiled, baked, broiled, French fried, and all the rest.
Lady El, please pass the sour cream...
I'm going to have to show my ignorance here Boomer,
potatoes with sour cream? How so?
One of the sides I serve is boiled parsnips mashed with
double cream (Elmlea) so I am guessing potatoes mashed
with sour cream? More tart than with cream or butter?
Sounds good to me....
And as Quincy says, bits of bacon added...even better.

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
My grandmother was 1st generation American. She was German and a practicing Lutheran when she married my Irish Catholic grandfather. Their families settled in Chicago so I don't know where the tradition/custom started. It could have been brought over from Germany by my ancestors.
We have some fascinating 'pedigrees' between us all in this
kitchen Quincy...our ancestors contributed so much by bringing
their own traditions and customs over to where they emigrated.
I found I learnt history moreso than I ever did at school when
researching family history...and how brave of them to seek a better life by travelling all the thousands of miles they did.
No jet planes in those days.
I find the Ellis Island website fascinating, found a number of my own there...actually found one who had signed a document...his signature was almost identical to that of my Uncle, a flamboyant W,
a distinctive C...it was errie...and centuries separated them.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>.looking over my shoulder to see if you must mean somebody else...

who me? since when? hahaha I like nothing more than a good discussion, even if I don't necessarily join in, but I will
hold you to the washing up..and thanks!...:)

Ordered the fireworks...who will be in charge of them?
My bad, I thought you preferred the lighthearted discussions not the knock down drag outs between me & Denny -- highly opinionated as we are.

Since he likes things with a bang, put Denny on fireworks detail. I've already committed to clean up!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>I'm going to have to show my ignorance here Boomer,
potatoes with sour cream? How so?
One of the sides I serve is boiled parsnips mashed with
double cream (Elmlea) so I am guessing potatoes mashed
with sour cream? More tart than with cream or butter?
Sounds good to me....
And as Quincy says, bits of bacon added...even better.
You bake them whole in the oven - when done cut open the top and pile on your favorite toppings....butter, sour cream, chives, cheese & bacon bits.

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
You bake them whole in the oven - when done cut open the top and pile on your favorite toppings....butter, sour cream, chives, cheese & bacon bits.
Oh I see...thanks for that Quincy. I was getting bored with
cottage cheese on mine, baked potato is a fave lunch here.

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
My bad, I thought you preferred the lighthearted discussions not the knock down drag outs between me & Denny -- highly opinionated as we are.
Since he likes things with a bang, put Denny on fireworks detail. I've already committed to clean up!
No, I secretly love it! lol I have been known to be quite opinionated when I get into my stride...:)
I was thinking Denny...you took the words out of my mouth.

“Ridin' The Devils Little Horse”

Since: Mar 08

Straight To Hells Door

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Good Morning Lady Eleanor...
WE HAVE SNOW!!! Real Snow.. not that slushy yucky stuff but instead that beautiful white dusting in the trees and covering the land in a glistening blanket of pure white... Winter Wonderland Pretty... till I had to go and shovel a path for those short legged critters of mine.. The snow is about 5 inches deep and Chico's legs are about 4 inches long..hahahahaha
This is the first real snow of winter as far as my location is concerned... Up north towards Cousin Lukes and Paisleys they really got hit with some snow...
I hope that all is well with Your and Yours and that you are safe and warm.. Sending you all of my warmest wishes... and I hope that no matter what you do today you will enjoy yourself...
((Love-n-Hugs))
@}-'--,---

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••