“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

#20557 Dec 28, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I get that same result wen I try to reach my old buddy Barrack ...
Don't feel bad. I think my number is blocked on his cell.
Hugo Chavez says "Que pasa kitcheneers!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#20558 Dec 28, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the wettest December on record - if there's a problem it's climate change rather than global warming, which will bring wetter weather with it. Scientists agree it is happening, but whether mankind is to blame for it, or merely climate trend (back in the 1750s, the Thames froze over every year: it stopped long before the mass use of fossil fuels) is what they differ on. Whether it is us or not, doubt very much that the emerging nations of China and India have any interest in slowing their progress to halt it, nor that any of us will give up our way of life to effect less carbon gases.
I wonder what it will take to get people to change ... I suppose when there is no ice cap at all over Greenland and a minimal cap over Antarctica, no ore sking in the ALps, tornados daily in most of the world, and the ocean levels are such that Manhatten needs a 30 foot high dam surrounding it ... maybe then they will realize something is amiss ....

But, if could well be a normal cycle .. geologists do believe that ocean levels have previously been higher than currently by about 20 to 30 feet.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20559 Dec 28, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't we break all our resolutions by February ?:)
it;s the escape claus, I think ..

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20560 Dec 28, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Now climate change is something I believe in :) It has been both hotter and colder and is part of nature. How vain we are to think we can control the climate :)
Is there a difference between CONTROl and INFLUENCE the climate?

I do believe that a major change in atmospheric conditions can affect the climate.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20561 Dec 28, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>That is part of the deal. A little pain lets you know your alive :)
I beg to differ ... apparently those teens who are "cutters" do so to let themselves know they are alive ...

I preffer normal sensations or pleasurable ones such as a nice massage or enjoying a nice meal to remind me I'm alive

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

#20562 Dec 28, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I beg to differ ... apparently those teens who are "cutters" do so to let themselves know they are alive ...

I preffer normal sensations or pleasurable ones such as a nice massage or enjoying a nice meal to remind me I'm alive
Food! Yeah baby!! Potatoes rule!!!
Boiled, baked, broiled, French fried, and all the rest.
Lady El, please pass the sour cream...

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Poole, UK

#20563 Dec 29, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I wonder what it will take to get people to change ... I suppose when there is no ice cap at all over Greenland and a minimal cap over Antarctica, no ore sking in the ALps, tornados daily in most of the world, and the ocean levels are such that Manhatten needs a 30 foot high dam surrounding it ... maybe then they will realize something is amiss ....
But, if could well be a normal cycle .. geologists do believe that ocean levels have previously been higher than currently by about 20 to 30 feet.
We're very good at talking and pretty poor about doing on climate change. No one wants it, but no one is prepared to do anything radical to stop it: guess that's the story of the history of man. And, as you rightly suggest, there is no certainty as to what is causing it - us or nature. At least if the levels rise, I'll have a beach at the bottom of my garden!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20564 Dec 29, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
:-) That's berry good, isn't it?!
It's berry interesting ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20565 Dec 29, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe my mom got the idea handed down from my grandma--she was a German Lutheran. My sister and I hated it!
I'll try to remember to ask my Mom about that ...

Was she from near the coast, where they would get fresh fish easily in the olden days? Fish was harder to come by further inland before trains and cars.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20566 Dec 29, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't feel bad. I think my number is blocked on his cell.
Hugo Chavez says "Que pasa kitcheneers!
Hmmm .. should I mention the other day I had breakfast with old Vlad (Putin)?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20567 Dec 29, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
What about that new fandangled stuff with the cheese ... poutinis?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#20568 Dec 29, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
We're very good at talking and pretty poor about doing on climate change. No one wants it, but no one is prepared to do anything radical to stop it: guess that's the story of the history of man. And, as you rightly suggest, there is no certainty as to what is causing it - us or nature. At least if the levels rise, I'll have a beach at the bottom of my garden!
reminds me of the old Superman movie where Lex Luthor tries to sink Las ANglees so that he can create his own coastline and sell all the suddenly valuable real estate ...

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

#20569 Dec 29, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>Is there a difference between CONTROl and INFLUENCE the climate?
I do believe that a major change in atmospheric conditions can affect the climate.
No doubt we can influence the air quality. Was it about 4 years ago the volcano in Iceland had such a severe effect that aircraft were grounded for a week or more. Man can do little compared to nature.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20570 Dec 29, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I beg to differ ... apparently those teens who are "cutters" do so to let themselves know they are alive ...
I would much prefer to live without the aches and pains of old age but there is little I can do about them :)

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20571 Dec 29, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing like a good baked potato loaded down with all the good stuff :)

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#20572 Dec 29, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tony there is change without a doubt but it is just a cycle. I just hate all the Al Gore hype with out right lies and exagerations. They had to stop calling it Global warming and call it climate change. One of your big universities was caught cooking the the books. NASA was caught cooking the books. There is politics not science behind much of this. England has changed and it has changed for the better. The sheep on the hill side have been a big element but you wouldn't want to go back to an England covered in forest. A few degrees warmer temps wouldn't hurt England. A better growing season. My first trip to England I was struck by how green it is in the winter. Our winters are brown because our climate is warmer and we have summer grasses where you have winter grasses.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Poole, UK

#20573 Dec 29, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>Tony there is change without a doubt but it is just a cycle. I just hate all the Al Gore hype with out right lies and exagerations. They had to stop calling it Global warming and call it climate change. One of your big universities was caught cooking the the books. NASA was caught cooking the books. There is politics not science behind much of this. England has changed and it has changed for the better. The sheep on the hill side have been a big element but you wouldn't want to go back to an England covered in forest. A few degrees warmer temps wouldn't hurt England. A better growing season. My first trip to England I was struck by how green it is in the winter. Our winters are brown because our climate is warmer and we have summer grasses where you have winter grasses.
You may or may not be right that it is a cycle, but unless we change our activity (unlikely), we will never know. You refer to the UEA incident a couple of years back:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenhagen-c... .

The accuser is revealed in this article, he had his own agenda. They have never found the hacker:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/ju...

You will note from the second article that all scientists involved have been exonerated in subsequent enquiries into their scientific methodology. But that didn't make headline news - you had to be in the UK and follow the story to know that there was no manipulation of data as claimed. So to claim it invalidated anything is not correct.

No one has forced a change in name - the climate scientists themselves did this to reflect more accurately the nature of what is happening as "global warming" gave non-scientists a misguided impression - as you show with the second part of your post.

A few degrees warmer would be a calamity for the UK. Are you aware how low-laying much of our coastline is? The melting of the ice caps/glaciers and the subsequent rise in sea levels has the potential to innundate hundreds of square miles. And the red herring is methane from cows, not sheep - irrelevant to the issue as they've always been around.

Even the US Environmental Agency admits warming has accelerated:

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/indi...

Useful little research tool the internet proves to be.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20574 Dec 29, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I wonder what it will take to get people to change ... I suppose when there is no ice cap at all over Greenland and a minimal cap over Antarctica, no ore sking in the ALps, tornados daily in most of the world, and the ocean levels are such that Manhatten needs a 30 foot high dam surrounding it ... maybe then they will realize something is amiss ....

Having said that, human beings are responsible for toxic waste being dumped in the lakes, rivers & oceans; cutting forests in the US and tropical rain forests; over fishing and hunting, yes hunting the exotic big cats, seals, gorillas, and other species to the point if extinction.....

It may be vain to think we could control the weather, which we can't; but its downright hubris to think we can continue down this road and destroy the plant and kill the animals without consequence.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20575 Dec 29, 2012
My apologies El, I know you're not find of tension in the Kitchen ...... I'll do all the dishes and clean up after the New Year's Eve party :-)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#20576 Dec 29, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>it;s the escape claus, I think ..
That explains it!!!
The pathway to h*ll is paved with good intentions..........so my aunt used to say

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What was your 'Favorite Dish'? 6 min Crazy Jae 3
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 9 min Crazy Jae 6,632
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 10 min Crazy Jae 77,478
Funny!! Word association game. (Nov '13) 13 min Crazy Jae 2,027
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 14 min Crazy Jae 6,767
Life is incomplete without ..... (what?) (Feb '14) 15 min Crazy Jae 594
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 31 min DanFromSmithville 127,937
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr wichita-rick 151,170
California Burger King employee finds $100,000 3 hr wichita-rick 2
Passengers Push Russian Airplane Stuck In Ice 3 hr wichita-rick 14