Cat attacks man because of his cologne

Mar 4, 2014 Full story: WFTV Orlando 17

Cats are known for having an impressive sense of smell. One British man learned the hard way what happens when a cat finds your scent offensive.

Read more
Johnnie Walker

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Mar 4, 2014
Like a cat would need a reason.

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#2 Mar 5, 2014
My guess is that the cologne contained pheromones or something. We don't know "Blue's" gender, but it would not surprise me from the level of reaction and force that this is a tomcat. If both hypotheses hold then the cologne could have invoked the presence of another male cat or a predator.

What if something from an aggressive animal like a bear was mixed into the scent? Many small mammals act aggressively when they smell such predators. Even a poodle will try to attack a bear, and a personal source tells me they were initially bred for that purpose. The poodles were expendable and used as bait. So while the bear is mauling the poodle, someone kills the bear.
Catz

Jackson, MO

#3 Mar 5, 2014
SG, that reminded me of a time I had this little kitten and I was watching a movie with a big bear in it and the cat sat comfy up on arm rest until the bear started growling at it's prey.

The cat jumped into the couch and kept peeking over arm rest at the TV.
It was the funniest thing I'd ever seen one of my cats do.

At for 'Blue'.. if he/she scared away a handsome man that smelled good too... I'd put Tomzazzz right out there.
Haha j/k

“ I DO WHAT I LIKE............ .”

Since: Mar 14

AND I LIKE WHAT I DO!!!!!!!!!!

#4 Mar 5, 2014
Spotted Girl wrote:
My guess is that the cologne contained pheromones or something. We don't know "Blue's" gender, but it would not surprise me from the level of reaction and force that this is a tomcat. If both hypotheses hold then the cologne could have invoked the presence of another male cat or a predator.
What if something from an aggressive animal like a bear was mixed into the scent? Many small mammals act aggressively when they smell such predators. Even a poodle will try to attack a bear, and a personal source tells me they were initially bred for that purpose. The poodles were expendable and used as bait. So while the bear is mauling the poodle, someone kills the bear.
Well here's a thought. Many perfumes and especially colognes contain castoreum ( beaver scent gland). It add's that leathery smell. Let me tell you just about every predator goes ape over the smell of it. I use it on bobcat trap's among other's..
If I've been setting lines or removing glands from beavers and I go somewhere there is cats, I will not be left alone. I'm there best friend from it.
It's strong and musky but I kinda like it, not gonna lie.
Catz

Jackson, MO

#5 Mar 5, 2014
Johnnie Walker wrote:
Like a cat would need a reason.
Darlin',... what do you know about catz? We know you're a dog man;)
teehehehehe (j/k)

#6 Mar 5, 2014
PS... Castor glands from beavers does contain pheromones. Forgot to include that.

Level 8

Spotted World

#7 Mar 5, 2014
FTW Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Well here's a thought. Many perfumes and especially colognes contain castoreum ( beaver scent gland). It add's that leathery smell. Let me tell you just about every predator goes ape over the smell of it. I use it on bobcat trap's among other's..
If I've been setting lines or removing glands from beavers and I go somewhere there is cats, I will not be left alone. I'm there best friend from it.
Thank you. That fills in a major gap in my conjecture.

“"Eatin' Ain't Cheatin!"”

Level 1

Since: Sep 06

Thompson's Station, Tn

#8 Mar 5, 2014
"Castor" is Portuguese for "Beaver".
I've been using skunk glands all this time! That's probably why I'm on Topix 24 hours a day.

#9 Mar 5, 2014
Mexican Hillbilly wrote:
"Castor" is Portuguese for "Beaver".
I've been using skunk glands all this time! That's probably why I'm on Topix 24 hours a day.
Actually skunk oil glands are very useful as well. Skunk oil is highly prized as an ingredient in some ointments and skin treatment's and in leather treatment.. It doesn't stink either. It's the anal gland's that produce the stink. It's considered superior to mink oil by many. Mink oil just sounds more appealing than Skunk.
Johnnie Walker

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Mar 5, 2014
FTW Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Well here's a thought. Many perfumes and especially colognes contain castoreum ( beaver scent gland). It add's that leathery smell. Let me tell you just about every predator goes ape over the smell of it. I use it on bobcat trap's among other's..
Let me Axe Body Spray you a question....

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#11 Mar 5, 2014
I've been mauled by a few "cougars" because of the way I smelled, but never a house cat.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#12 Mar 5, 2014
Interesting posts, I've learned more about animal glands and scent sources! I remain a "dog person" cats and I have never clicked.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#13 Mar 5, 2014
Sales have plummeted for Catnip #5.

Level 8

Spotted World

#14 Mar 5, 2014
Jenji wrote:
Interesting posts, I've learned more about animal glands and scent sources! I remain a "dog person" cats and I have never clicked.
Oh, dogs have scent glands too. Sometimes they become impacted or infected, and that is why they may drag their butts across the floor. Then you have to get a groomer to drain them, and if bad, a vet. Or, if you are brave and have gloves... I hear the glands are about 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock of the anus.
Wondering

Bastrop, TX

#15 Mar 5, 2014
My domestic cat loves smelling products that I use to mop my floors with. Specially if they have a sweet sent. Wonder what that's about??
Wondering

Bastrop, TX

#16 Mar 5, 2014
*scent

#17 Mar 5, 2014
Wondering wrote:
My domestic cat loves smelling products that I use to mop my floors with. Specially if they have a sweet sent. Wonder what that's about??
A guess. Your cleaners contain 2-Butoxyethanol. It is a common ingredient in cleaners and it's smell is attractive to animals the same way the methanol or propylene glycol in an anti-freeze is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min Blitzking 155,204
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 10 min Gonza 31,553
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 12 min wichita-rick 159,953
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 15 min Gonza 78,573
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 25 min Satans Evil Son 139,807
Write cities alfabetically (tell the country/st... (Sep '11) 51 min wichita-rick 2,474
Favorite Oldies Songs (Jun '10) 53 min Wolftracks 18,763
motorcycle traveling stories 1 hr Beautiful Black M... 35
Poll Can single Men be friends with Married Women? (Jun '12) 1 hr Beautiful Black M... 251
Word Association (Jun '10) 1 hr Mega Monster 27,013
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 4 hr NinaRocks 18,025
More from around the web