Only cowards need guns

Level 5

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#7484 Jan 24, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
Thanks to people who carry guns; you don't have to.
Just ask the parents of the kids killed by the gun gnutter in Sandy Hook.

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Level 9

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#7485 Jan 24, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd argue that the world would be a much safer place if liberal nut jobs like that shooter didn't have legal access to guns. However, liberals love killing kids so much, they'd find a way around any law banning their access to deadly weapons.
Onions Smell

Los Angeles, CA

#7487 Jan 24, 2014
If no one could have a gun in the first place (I know, black market, build your own, etc., but I'm speaking theoretically) then hand to hand combat would suffice, wouldn't it? And less people will die, and less money will be spent, no? And maybe we'll all be more fit lol

But I guess the big issue is that not everyone has the body, the discipline, or the talent to defend against most who would attack them, and the availability of guns does address that.

I don't know if I'm for or against guns, but some things about gun wielders scare me sometimes. For example, reebie.

"cant fight like a man cuz Im a girl, with a pretty little titanium rainbow Sig Saur 380..tucked neatly in my purse.."

I have nothing against you, and indeed I have no idea who you are or what you're like, and I agree that if you won't be able to defend yourself without a gun, then it's good to keep one, but the way you wrote here is kind of disturbing. It seems as if there is an element of vanity to the gun you carry in your purse.
Onions Smell

Los Angeles, CA

#7488 Jan 24, 2014
Sorry, responded to the first page of the entire thread. Didn't realize.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

#7489 Jan 24, 2014
Onions Smell wrote:
If no one could have a gun in the first place (I know, black market, build your own, etc., but I'm speaking theoretically) then hand to hand combat would suffice, wouldn't it? And less people will die, and less money will be spent, no? And maybe we'll all be more fit lol
But I guess the big issue is that not everyone has the body, the discipline, or the talent to defend against most who would attack them, and the availability of guns does address that.
I don't know if I'm for or against guns, but some things about gun wielders scare me sometimes. For example, reebie.
"cant fight like a man cuz Im a girl, with a pretty little titanium rainbow Sig Saur 380..tucked neatly in my purse.."
I have nothing against you, and indeed I have no idea who you are or what you're like, and I agree that if you won't be able to defend yourself without a gun, then it's good to keep one, but the way you wrote here is kind of disturbing. It seems as if there is an element of vanity to the gun you carry in your purse.
Not allowing guns would be impossible, the cats out of the bag. Let's try that idea with say.... phones, lol. People with phones aren't going to give them up. Before you say it isn't the same look at the number of distracted driving accidents and fatalities caused by people texting while driving. Maybe we should go back to only using landlines because it's safer?

“ASPIRE 2 INSPIRE B4 U EXPIRE”

Level 8

Since: Jul 08

USA

#7490 Jan 24, 2014
whooooooooeeeeeeeee
did someone fart........
nah, barefoot just opened her pie hole
Onions Smell

Los Angeles, CA

#7491 Jan 24, 2014
About the phones, I see what you mean. In that way, they are the same. But if you read what I typed again, you'll see that I was speaking theoretically.

Although ideal situations are inevitably impossible, I think they are very valuable to think about.

"Maybe we should go back to only using landlines because it's safer?"

There should be a balance. I'd be more than happy if people are deprived of what they can't handle the responsibility of. Do you think that there is a significant amount of people in America who should not be legally allowed to use a cellphone?

It might also be good to think about the value of any one person's life. As for me, I do not believe that every person's life is equally valuable, or at least I should say that I myself don't value everyone's life equally.

As far as being a facet to society and the human species in general, there is no question to me that some people are more valuable. Just cold sense.

How do you think that could apply to the gun issues?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#7492 Jan 25, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
Crazy people kill kids, not guns. Lock up the crazies; for public safety.

Level 5

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#7494 Jan 25, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Crazy people kill kids, not guns.
You mean like the "crazy kid" 71 year old ex-cop killing someone for texting in a movie theater?
Onions Smell

Los Angeles, CA

#7495 Jan 25, 2014
Pundit has a great point. Can't believe the bad ratings.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#7497 Jan 25, 2014
A noted pundit wrote:
<quoted text>I wish we could ban false equivalencies but the GOP would consider that an assault on their platform.
Unlike guns, which are designed for ONE purpose- to kill, phones are designed to communicate.
No one walks into a classroom of children and murders them with a phone.
Yet people have been killed when some driver decides to text while behind the wheel..death is just that..and it is final, regardless of the tool used to facilitate.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#7499 Jan 25, 2014
A noted pundit wrote:
<quoted text>Yet people still make false equivalences comparing phones to guns, even just several posts later.
And just several days after a movie patron was shot to death- murdered- for texting.
I'm sure there is a point here...when one tries to compare the acts of an individual to the norm of many that would be not killing people , there almost has to be some point

the statement of the thread is false, but I would coincide that cowards do kill, regardless of their means or profession. Cowards are simply cowards and some of them kill.

“100% Princess”

Level 8

Since: Jan 07

and totally harmless

#7500 Jan 27, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
That's fine. Having a gun does not mean you won't be a victim. If it gives you a better chance, then I'm all for it.
It kept one person at bay until Oki got home--that was more years ago than I care to count. My babies made it through the night unharmed--and so did I. And for that, I am eternally thankful....

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Hotel California

#7501 Jan 27, 2014
Onions Smell wrote:
About the phones, I see what you mean. In that way, they are the same. But if you read what I typed again, you'll see that I was speaking theoretically.
Although ideal situations are inevitably impossible, I think they are very valuable to think about.
"Maybe we should go back to only using landlines because it's safer?"
There should be a balance. I'd be more than happy if people are deprived of what they can't handle the responsibility of. Do you think that there is a significant amount of people in America who should not be legally allowed to use a cellphone?
It might also be good to think about the value of any one person's life. As for me, I do not believe that every person's life is equally valuable, or at least I should say that I myself don't value everyone's life equally.
As far as being a facet to society and the human species in general, there is no question to me that some people are more valuable. Just cold sense.
How do you think that could apply to the gun issues?

It is clear that many people think they are more important than they really are, I don't think one human is of more valuable than another.
Some matter more to me than others but that is a subjective opinion. I value my loved ones and friends but with 6 billion humans on the planet if I, my family and friends died it wouldn't affect anything.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Hotel California

#7502 Jan 27, 2014
A noted pundit wrote:
<quoted text>I wish we could ban false equivalencies but the GOP would consider that an assault on their platform.
Unlike guns, which are designed for ONE purpose- to kill, phones are designed to communicate.
No one walks into a classroom of children and murders them with a phone.
Oh please, most privately owned guns in the US will never shoot an animal let alone a human and you know it. I enjoy target shooting, yet I've never killed an animal or a person.

I like the phone analogy, any vehicle driven by a self absorbed idiot texting or one under the influence can be just as dangerous as a gun. Irresponsible or dangerous people are just that, nothing will change that, you can't legislate it away.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Hotel California

#7504 Jan 27, 2014
A noted pundit wrote:
<quoted text>You are free to like the phone analogy. It's still wrong and not even close at that. However you use guns, they were designed to kill- that's it. This isn't the chicken or the egg argument.
Phones were designed to communicate, with no murderous intent at all...
Yet phones can detonate bombs from afar.......

Come on, if there is a will there is a way. Humans have been killing each other since we could pick up rocks.

Do you really think we will ever stop killing each other? That is the real question.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Hotel California

#7506 Jan 27, 2014
A noted pundit wrote:
<quoted text>Wow. I never thought you would deflect like this. Maybe I wasn't paying attention?
You people can keep your guns. Obama "coming to take them" is just a sales pitch. Sure, 7000 kids a year are hurt my guns and 3000 are killed but, as our tea party friends constantly remind us, MORE guns is the solution. If they could get away with it, they'd arm the kids. What part of "...shall not be infringed" are they cow-towing to there, I don't know. "People are going to kill each other anyway, so why not make it easier for them?" And we're a capitalist society- what's wrong with someone profiting from the sale and manufacture of guns?
I could go on but, I don't want to use up all your talking points. And, the phone is ringing! Cover me, I'm going to take a call....
I never said any of that, yet you are jumping to conclusions , as usual.
Do you no longer own a gun, how is okay for you to own one but not others? Or did you lie when you said you owned one?
Time Traveler

United States

#7508 Jan 27, 2014
A noted pundit wrote:
You're deflecting again. Why would my having/not having guns matter in my assertion that it's ridiculous to compare the alleged deadliness of cellphones to the obvious deadliness of guns?
Guns are made to kill.
Cellphones are made to communicate.
Guns are indeed made to kill, but they kill less than so many other things. You know the list of things of which I speak. Isn't it time to ban those things that kill more than guns? Start with the highest rate of death causes and work your way to guns when they reach the number 1 killer.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Hotel California

#7509 Jan 27, 2014
A noted pundit wrote:
<quoted text>You're deflecting again. Why would my having/not having guns matter in my assertion that it's ridiculous to compare the alleged deadliness of cellphones to the obvious deadliness of guns?
Guns are made to kill.
Cellphones are made to communicate.
Again, most privately owned guns in the US will not kill an animal let alone a human, majority of the time it is targets.
Phones can and do cause distractions that have harmed or killed the user or others.

I'm not sure where you picked your stats from but from what I've read the mortality rates are notably higher for distracted driving, phone usage, than guns. The fact that there are more phones than guns out there I'm sure has something to do with it. The part that some people are so self absorbed that that text is more important than another life is an aside.

So, to me, the original intent does not matter, the outcome does. If the outcome is injury or death, then they are similar even if it's from unintended consequences.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#7511 Jan 27, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
Crazy people kill kids, not guns. Lock up the crazies; for public safety.
barefoot2626 wrote:
You mean like the "crazy kid" 71 year old ex-cop killing someone for texting in a movie theater?
Not "crazy kid", "Crazy people kill kids", like Adam Lanza, the Sandy Hook mass murderer you cited earlier.
Little is known so far about Adam Lanza, the alleged Newtown, Conn., elementary school shooter, but anyone who could shoot a terrified child and say to himself, "That was fun -- I think I'll do it 20 more times!" is not all there.

It has been reported that Lanza's mother, his first victim, was trying to have him involuntarily committed to a mental institution, triggering his rage. If true -- and the media seem remarkably uninterested in finding out if it is true -- Mrs. Lanza would have had to undergo a long and grueling process, unlikely to succeed.

As The New York Times' Joe Nocera recently wrote: "Connecticut's laws are so restrictive in terms of the proof required to get someone committed that Adam Lanza's mother would probably not have been able to get him help even if she had tried."

Taking guns away from single women who live alone and other law-abiding citizens without mental illnesses will do nothing about the Chos, Loughners, Holmeses or Lanzas. Such people have to be separated from civil society, for the public's sake as well as their own. But this is nearly impossible because the ACLU has decided that being psychotic is a civil right.
Ann Coulter
http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2013-01-16....
What's the story with the 71 year old ex-cop; did he use a rubber band to shoot a rude texter?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 1 min andet1987 2,413
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 4 min andet1987 79,783
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 6 min wichita-rick 167,067
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 6 min KNIGHT DeVINE 12,666
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 8 min cathouse cowboy 9,127
Just start naming actors and actresses (Sep '11) 8 min andet1987 2,871
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 9 min cathouse cowboy 4,065
*Classical music Thread* 34 min 40ish 49
Last Word is First Word (no "breast" word please) 40 min cathouse cowboy 131
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 1 hr mobil 29,512