Only cowards need guns

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#690 Jan 8, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
My point wasn't the election. My point was when all these mass killings subside (when we can only hope). Given the high price of ammunition and guns now, hopefully gun thefts reduce as a result of folks taking BETTER care of their "arms." If a normal gunowner can't afford the ammunition, I would surmise the "crook" to have a tougher time.
The NRA are hedging their bets on all of this blowing over. Like I've always said since Sandy Hill - all it will take is one more big one and we won't have to ban anything.
It's already getting pricey enough.
It'll pass,prices/availability will return to something close to "normal",barring idiots in DC getting stupid(which they are prone to do). Both my local gunshops are EMPTY. Down to a few handguns,some bolt action rifles and those high end break action double shotguns. Ammo is nil. Almost bare shelves. As far as restocking,everything is on back order for who knows how long. We have a local gunshow in about two weeks and I'm wondering how that will look. The BIG one in Louisville week end before last was a sell out.

“Are We Having Fun Yet???”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

If Not, Why Not!!!

#691 Jan 8, 2013
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>And that is why you will never see a mass shooting at a gun show:)
Or a gun shop.

A few years ago I was in the market for a new gun purse. Hubby and I went to the local gun shop. Of course, you left your gun in the car or checked it at the door. It was a Saturday and the place was full of people.

Some crazy person wandered in off the street and began to talk in a loud voice, I don't remember what he said but I do remember the clerks showing their guns and 911 being called and he was quickly taken away by the police. I felt very secure with people doing what they needed to do to protect themselves and their customers.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Right here under my thumb

#692 Jan 8, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>It'll pass,prices/availability will return to something close to "normal",barring idiots in DC getting stupid(which they are prone to do). Both my local gunshops are EMPTY. Down to a few handguns,some bolt action rifles and those high end break action double shotguns. Ammo is nil. Almost bare shelves. As far as restocking,everything is on back order for who knows how long. We have a local gunshow in about two weeks and I'm wondering how that will look. The BIG one in Louisville week end before last was a sell out.
Just remember - the price of any vice never goes down.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#693 Jan 8, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>ACTUALLY sh1theel John Wayne was an "honorary" Colonel in the Marines. A rank he knew really meant nothing but was bestowed in honor of his respect and admiration for that Service,he was grateful for that Honor. You,on the other hand,sh1theel are a full blown ingrate with little respect for those who HAVE stood in the ranks in peace time or war. I know you can't help it,its the liberal way. Denigration from those who can't/won't upon those who have. I can usually work a little sympathy/empathy,maybe even pity for those poor sould. Just can't seem to find any for you,sorry. Just don't like putrid sh1theels who sell their souls......
Oh,have a nice day.:)
He could have had the real deal, given there was a HUGE war at the time. Jimmy Stewart (actor) flew bombing missions in WWII. Ted Williams (greatest hitter in MLB EVER!) Flew combat for the Marines in WWII AND Korea. The Duke made movies... Oh well, good for him and his honorary title. I bet you were a colonel too.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#694 Jan 8, 2013
America's entry into World War II resulted in a deluge of support for the war effort from all sectors of society, and Hollywood was no exception. Wayne was exempted from service due to his age (34 at the time of Pearl Harbor) and family status, classified as 3-A (family deferment). He repeatedly wrote to John Ford, asking to be placed in Ford's military unit, but consistently postponed it until "after he finished one more film",[27] Wayne did not attempt to prevent his reclassification as 1-A (draft eligible), but Republic Studios was emphatically resistant to losing him; Herbert J. Yates, President of Republic, threatened Wayne with a lawsuit if he walked away from his contract[28] and Republic Pictures intervened in the Selective Service process, requesting Wayne's further deferment.[29]

Wayne toured U.S. bases and hospitals in the South Pacific for three months in 1943 and 1944.[30] By many accounts, Wayne's failure to serve in the military was the most painful experience of his life.[31] His widow later suggested that his patriotism in later decades sprang from guilt, writing: "He would become a 'superpatriot' for the rest of his life trying to atone for staying home."[32]

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#695 Jan 8, 2013
In October 1940, Stewart was drafted into the United States Army but was rejected for failing to meet height and weight requirements for new recruits—Stewart was five pounds (2.3 kg) under the standard. To get up to 148 pounds, he sought out the help of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's muscle man and trainer Don Loomis, who was noted for his ability to add or subtract pounds in his studio gymnasium. Stewart subsequently attempted to enlist in the Air Corps, but still came in under the weight requirement, although he persuaded the enlistment officer to run new tests, this time passing the weigh-in,[30][N 2] with the result that Stewart enlisted and was inducted in the Army on March 22, 1941. He became the first major American movie star to wear a military uniform in World War II

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#696 Jan 8, 2013
Tiger Lilly wrote:
<quoted text>
Police officers and people who are in combat zones are trained and ready for that sort of thing. The rest of us, not so much.
It's good that you can laugh about it now. I still remember how that crazy old rednecks hand shook as he pointed that silver gun at us and how I thought I was going to die right then and there. It was the middle of the day with houses all around but no one was out and about at the time. I thought, what have you got to lose so I talked to him and he calmed down and climbed back into his car. His wife never got out of the car or said anything or even turned around. I assume he had done that kind of thing before and seeing what a temper he had, my guess, she needed to stay on his good side.
What did I do wrong, nothing. We were out for a Sunday afternoon ride on our bike. We stopped behind him at a stop sign. He rolled back instead of forward and my husband at the time yelled out a four letter word. I don't blame him, it was a reflex to do so.
I didn't carry in those days but even if I had, I would have never tired to get to my gun. When the other guy already has his gun aimed at you I don't think that would work well.
If someone is ever in that type of situation, you have to go with what feels right to do. Panicking was just not an option, and I am glad hubby said nothing, a calm cool female voice took care of the situation.......
Glad we are both here to post what happened to us......
Unlike my own experience, not one you could possibly look back upon
and laugh. The difference being the state of mind both our 'assailants'
were in, whereas mine was fearful, yours was in a rage, both dangerous
and we were both very lucky. You did well to keep your cool Tiger Lilly..I am convinced by doing so it saved my life, as it did your own.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Dump American Eagle

#697 Jan 8, 2013
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>He could have had the real deal, given there was a HUGE war at the time. Jimmy Stewart (actor) flew bombing missions in WWII. Ted Williams (greatest hitter in MLB EVER!) Flew combat for the Marines in WWII AND Korea. The Duke made movies... Oh well, good for him and his honorary title. I bet you were a colonel too.
Besides what Tallyho wrote,did you ever see the man walk? Kinda funny rolling gait? The man was 6'-4" and had size 9 feet. His balance sucked. My oldest boy is 6'-3" and HIS feet are size 13. Like I said,you never miss a chance to denigrate people who did/do what you can't/won't. Still the same 'Ol Sh1theel..... I expect soon you'll start mock the Wounded Warriors who will come out for Conservatism. I wouldn't put it beneath you,Sh1theel.

Location hidden

#698 Jan 8, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Besides what Tallyho wrote,did you ever see the man walk? Kinda funny rolling gait? The man was 6'-4" and had size 9 feet. His balance sucked. My oldest boy is 6'-3" and HIS feet are size 13. Like I said,you never miss a chance to denigrate people who did/do what you can't/won't. Still the same 'Ol Sh1theel..... I expect soon you'll start mock the Wounded Warriors who will come out for Conservatism. I wouldn't put it beneath you,Sh1theel.
John Wayne COULD have served but opted not to. We need more heroes like you who volunteer for combat in grade school!

You sure do anger easily. Did you always stand up and yell at the enemy on secret missions?

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#699 Jan 8, 2013
his "John" value to America was the stay home and make the movies , he sold a lot of bonds ...

he was also requested to stay home as were others ..........

remember this , Generals issue orders , it was us NCOs that carried them out....

still trying to figure out what Macarthur did

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#700 Jan 8, 2013
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>John Wayne COULD have served but opted not to. We need more heroes like you who volunteer for combat in grade school!
You sure do anger easily. Did you always stand up and yell at the enemy on secret missions?
you are wrong he couldn't serve... he was denied

before the he applied for the USNA and again was denied

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Dump American Eagle

#701 Jan 8, 2013
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>John Wayne COULD have served but opted not to. We need more heroes like you who volunteer for combat in grade school!
Right sh1theel.... You COULD have served but.... Dog ate your homework..... Mamma called you for supper.... No guts..... Or maybe the military doesn't have a hire the handi-capable program. I enlisted at 17. Never made any claims otherwise. Where were YOU at 17? Playing with Susie Rottencrotch's knees,when she let you? Well sh1theel? Where WERE you at 17? Doing what?

I did things at 17/18 you probably STILL haven't done,sh1theel.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#702 Jan 8, 2013
Recognizing that Hollywood was an important part of the war effort, Washington had told California draft boards to go easy on actors...

rationalizing that he could do more good at home, Wayne obtained 3-A status, "deferred for [family] dependency reasons." . "Wayne increasingly came to embody the American fighting man," ...in late 1943 and early 1944 he entertained the troops in the Pacific theater as part of a USO tour.....

In 1944, Wayne received a 2-A classification, "deferred in support of [the] national ... interest."

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#703 Jan 8, 2013
was this person any better????????

He got a student deferment first, and then took advantage of several loopholes to maintain it while he was a Rhodes Scholar. He also had a very high draft number, so he was unlikely to ever be called up (as, in fact, he was not). He did some things that might well have been unethical, but nothing specifically illegal -- a pattern some say he continued throughout his career.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Dump American Eagle

#704 Jan 8, 2013
tallyho wrote:
Recognizing that Hollywood was an important part of the war effort, Washington had told California draft boards to go easy on actors...
rationalizing that he could do more good at home, Wayne obtained 3-A status, "deferred for [family] dependency reasons." . "Wayne increasingly came to embody the American fighting man," ...in late 1943 and early 1944 he entertained the troops in the Pacific theater as part of a USO tour.....
In 1944, Wayne received a 2-A classification, "deferred in support of [the] national ... interest."
Ferryman don't care for facts. The little sh1theel only cares about mocking those who dared what he not do. Pathetic really,if you think about it.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#705 Jan 8, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Ferryman don't care for facts. The little sh1theel only cares about mocking those who dared what he not do. Pathetic really,if you think about it.
roger that , I have no prob with the rear , but when the rear robs me weeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllll llll...

people have no idea what a Bob Hope did .... moral still needs a boost ....
Rambler

United States

#706 Jan 8, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Right sh1theel.... You COULD have served but.... Dog ate your homework..... Mamma called you for supper.... No guts..... Or maybe the military doesn't have a hire the handi-capable program. I enlisted at 17. Never made any claims otherwise. Where were YOU at 17? Playing with Susie Rottencrotch's knees,when she let you? Well sh1theel? Where WERE you at 17? Doing what?
I did things at 17/18 you probably STILL haven't done,sh1theel.
Naw....Fairyfruck was playing with Sally Suck'em Silly only Sally wasn't female.

Location hidden

#707 Jan 8, 2013
Hey- a guy who fought in Vietnam when he was in grade
school is married to a princess who has a twin brother whom she found on the internet four years ago. What's not be believed?

OH! AND, graybox Sam/Beckie has his back! It just gets no better than that!

“Are We Having Fun Yet???”

Level 8

If Not, Why Not!!!

#708 Jan 8, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlike my own experience, not one you could possibly look back upon
and laugh. The difference being the state of mind both our 'assailants'
were in, whereas mine was fearful, yours was in a rage, both dangerous
and we were both very lucky. You did well to keep your cool Tiger Lilly..I am convinced by doing so it saved my life, as it did your own.
That's true, it's something I don't think about often anymore, not one of my favorite things to think about.

I agree, we are very lucky indeed. Plenty of others are not around due to others actions.

Thanks Eleanor and I'm glad you were able to quiet the mans fears. Some would say our angles were with us......
Rambler

United States

#709 Jan 8, 2013
Ferrerman wrote:
Hey- a guy who fought in Vietnam when he was in grade
school is married to a princess who has a twin brother whom she found on the internet four years ago. What's not be believed?
OH! AND, graybox Sam/Beckie has his back! It just gets no better than that!
Where's the "Boot Marine" avatar Fairyfruck?
Give up on that one after you were busted?

Yup "Little Boy" fits you better anyway.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 min Sharlene45 213,416
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 6 min SweLL GirL 36,303
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 7 min Jennifer Renee 23,404
I went back in time and! (Jul '15) 15 min andet1987 28
Funny!! Word association game. (Nov '13) 29 min andet1987 5,644
Stupid things to ponder ... (Feb '08) 32 min liars 6,915
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 50 min positronium 21,526
Memorable Movie Scenes. 1 hr andet1987 138
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr Denny CranesPlace 73,466
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 3 hr Impavid 3,588