Only cowards need guns

Level 5

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#7281 Apr 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Too bad, bad people don't kill themselves first, then she'd be a hero for saving her child's life. Some people always get it wrong.
Yeah, too bad that you don't save your child's life now.

And your wife's life.

You strike me as the kind of guy who chicken out halfway through the murder suicide.
Amelia Sugar COCAINE

Castle Rock, CO

#7282 Apr 30, 2013
I agree with the OP. Too many cowards out here. No one wants to fight with their fists anymore like old school. Everyone wants to result immediately to pulling out their guns to kill someone over something stupid even. Ever watched the movie call Green Street Hooligans? If not, watch it and learn how the UK usually does it. Here in the west, too many cowards are roaming around in my opinion. Granted, because guns are not outlawed here, criminals are everywhere moreso here than in many other places so you have to purchase a gun to really protect yourself and your family. Just imagine if guns were outlawed though.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#7283 Apr 30, 2013
Man turns tables on shotgun-wielding attacker
By Mike Krumboltz

A man being robbed at gunpoint at 5 a.m. Saturday morning in New Orleans turned the tables on his attacker when he managed to grab the shotgun, causing the attacker to flee.

The confrontation was captured by surveillance footage from a nearby security camera. According to WWL.com , the victim-turned-vigilante wasn't done yet.

Via WWL:

According to police, the victim was approached moments later by two black males in a black four door sedan. The victim told police that the driver of the car said, "give me my gun back and I’ll give you your phone that you dropped."

An NOPD spokesman says the intended victim declined to return the shotgun back to the robber, but instead used the weapon to strike and knock out the rear windshied (sic) of the vehicle. Police say the two suspects fled on Frenchmen to St. Claude and then to parts unknown.

The clip's YouTube description, which was written by NOPD, mentions a similar incident that occurred the previous day. In that case, a victim was attacked by two males, who demanded his money. The victim was able to flee the scene "without relinquishing his property."

“ASPIRE 2 INSPIRE B4 U EXPIRE”

Level 8

Since: Jul 08

USA

#7284 May 1, 2013
Iraq War Vet Uses AR-15 to Stop Gas Station Robbery

http://ironmountaindailynews.com/page/content...

MUNISING - Two individuals who attempted to rob the Oasis Gas Station in Shingleton early Sunday morning are behind bars.

Troopers from the Michigan State Police Munising Detachment responded to the Oasis Gas Station in Shingleton for a breaking and entering in progress at 4:10 a.m. on Sunday.

Two suspects wearing ski masks forced entry into the gas station and proceeded to the cash register.

Unknown to the burglars, the gas station owner, Shawn Schank, was in the building at the time of the attempted burglary.

Schank, a veteran of the Iraq war, found the masked suspects behind the cashier's counter at his register.

He ran toward the suspects and kicked one of them, causing him to fall to the floor. Schank then retrieved an AR-15 assault rifle from his office and ordered the masked men to leave his business, police said.

During the altercation, one of the suspects peeled his mask off and pleaded with Schank not shoot him....

“ASPIRE 2 INSPIRE B4 U EXPIRE”

Level 8

Since: Jul 08

USA

#7285 May 1, 2013
Elderly woman fatally shoots son in self-defense during domestic dispute

http://www.examiner.com/article/elderly-woman...

An elderly woman in Ballwin, Mo. is recovering from a knife wound and her son has been fatally shot after a domestic dispute in the early morning hours on Thursday.

According to a report by FOX2, the incident happened around 1:00 a.m. in the normally quiet neighborhood, located about 25 miles west of St. Louis. Although it’s not currently known what led up to the altercation, the 81-year-old mother states that her son, who lives with her at the home, attacked her with a large knife. When he came at her for a second time, she shot him in the chest, and then called 911.

When police arrived on the scene they found the mother had been stabbed in the hand. They also found her 41-year-old son with two gunshot wounds to the chest. Both were transported to a local hospital, where the mother was treated and the son died just before 2:00 a.m....

Level 5

Location hidden

#7286 May 1, 2013
REDNECK HIPPIE wrote:
Iraq War Vet Uses AR-15 to Stop Gas Station Robbery.
PACE — Officials are investigating the Sunday evening shooting of a child at Bell Ridge Apartment complex.

The parent of the child called 911 saying the child was accidentally shot, according to a Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office press release.

Sheriff’s deputies responded just before 8 p.m. According to the release, there were two children in the apartment playing with an unattended handgun when it discharged.

Level 5

Location hidden

#7287 May 1, 2013

Taylor Berman Yesterday 11:30pm 83,026 610
5-Year-Old Fatally Shot 2-Year-Old Sister With Gun He Received as Gift

For at least the third time this month, a young child has shot and killed someone. On Tuesday afternoon, a five-year-old boy fatally shot his two-year-old sister in Cumberland County, Kentucky with .22 rifle the five-year-old was given as a gift.

"It's a Crickett," Cumberland County Coroner Gary White told the Lexington Herald-Leader. "It's a little rifle for a kid.”

The rifle, which was usually stored in one of the home's corners, was inadvertently left loaded, according to White. The boy's mother was home at the time of the shooting.

“The little boy's used to shooting the little gun," White said, before saying the shooting will be ruled accidental.“Just one of those crazy accidents.”

Just one of those crazy accidents. You know, the completely unpredictable kind of accident that occurs when you give a five-year-old a rifle and leave it lying around the house, unattended.

If this sounds familiar, it's because, sadly, it is. Earlier this month, a four-year-old shot and killed a deputy's wife with a handgun. The next day a two-year-old reportedly shot his mother in the stomach with a 9mm Glock.

Two days later, another four-year-old shot a six-year-old in the head, killing him.

Level 5

Location hidden

#7288 May 1, 2013
Still waiting for reports that these parents were arrest for negligent homicide.

“Crude, Rude, and Lewd!”

Level 7

Sayonara Falls.

#7289 May 1, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
Still waiting for reports that these parents were arrest for negligent homicide.
They should have been. Obviously the parental supervision level here was inadequate. The parents should have been watching both kids at all times and should not have allowed the boy to PLAY with the rifle. They should have emphasized it was not a toy and should only be handled when Mom or Dad was handling it with him.

The inanimate object didn't kill, but indirectly the parents killed their own child through their negligence and stupidity.

Level 5

Location hidden

#7290 May 1, 2013
MeanandNasty wrote:
<quoted text>
They should have been. Obviously the parental supervision level here was inadequate.
It's impossible to supervise children every second they are awake.

The first step in firearm safety in a house with children is: not have any firearms.

“Easy does it... ”

Level 5

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#7291 May 1, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's impossible to supervise children every second they are awake.
The first step in firearm safety in a house with children is: not have any firearms.
Not having firearms in the house, would have certainly reduced the risk of death by firearm to this child, no doubt. But isn't that still putting the blame on an inanimate object instead of where it belonged? YES. It was the parents who were negligent, irresponsible, and lacked ANY resemblance of responsibility on this matter. It was the PARENTS who gave a gun as a present to a 5 year old, and then left him to his own devices....who does that?. Make no mistake about it...it was simple stupidity that caused this death. And it wasn't by the 5 year old. IMO (as well), the parents should be locked up for neglect and ignorance, that lead to the death of a two year old.

They are devastated, with that I have no doubt. As a parent, I would be crushed as it is. But I also did NOT EVER once, even consider giving my 5 year old daughter a firearm, and then to proceed to leave her unsupervised. It's a matter of common sense.

And with the lack of common sense (the real culprit).... the same result of death, or possibly the deaths of both the children could have taken place, by any various number of reasons. Here is the list of top 10 causes of death to children.

http://www.qualityhealth.com/childrens-health...

So does this mean we should demand banning cars and water as well?

I respect your opinion on the subject, as I can only hope that you respect mine, though not of a real concern to myself. But to even momentarily consider this incident the fault of the firearm, is incorrect, and is at the very least mildly insulting to any and all responsible gun owners, as well as all parents that possess any resemblance of common sense.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Right here under my thumb

#7292 May 2, 2013
By: Travis Loller The Associated Press, Published on Wed May 01 2013

BURKESVILLE, KY.—Stephanie Sparks paid little attention as her 5-year-old son played with the rifle he was given last year. Then, as she briefly stepped outside while cleaning the kitchen,“she heard the gun go off,” a coroner said.

In an accident Tuesday that shocked a rural area far from the U.S. debate over gun control, the boy, Kristian, killed his 2-year-old sister, Caroline, with a single shot to the chest.

The .22-calibre rifle was made by a company that sells guns specifically for children —“My first rifle” is the slogan — in colours such as hot pink and multicolour swirls. Cumberland County Coroner Gary White said the boy received the rifle, called a Crickett, as a gift.

“It’s a little rifle for a kid.... The little boy’s used to shooting the little gun,” White said.

The rifle was kept in a corner of the family’s mobile home, and no one realized a bullet had been left in it.

The shooting highlights a cultural divide over gun control, which again became a top issue after the 20 young children and six adults were shot dead at a Connecticut school in December.

It’s not uncommon for youths in rural areas to own guns for target practice and hunting. Local newspapers feature photos of children proudly displaying their kills, including turkey and deer.

“It’s a normal way of life, and it’s not just rural Kentucky, it’s rural America — hunting and shooting and sport fishing. It starts at an early age,” said Cumberland County Judge Executive John Phelps.“There’s probably not a household in this county that doesn’t have a gun.”

A package of gun control measures proposed by President Barack Obama after the December school shooting has largely failed so far in Congress, with lawmakers pressured by vocal gun owners and the National Rifle Association gun lobby.

Phelps said it had been four or five years since there had been a shooting death in the county.

“The whole town is heartbroken,” Phelps said of Burkesville, a farming community of 1,800.

White said the shooting has been ruled accidental. A police spokesman said it was unclear whether any charges will be filed.

The company that makes the rifle, Keystone Sporting Arms, has a “Kids Korner” on its website with pictures of young boys and girls with rifles. It says the company produced 60,000 Crickett and Chipmunk rifles for kids in 2008.

Keystone also makes guns for adults, but most of its products are geared toward children.

“The goal of KSA is to instil gun safety in the minds of youth shooters and encourage them to gain the knowledge and respect that hunting and shooting activities require and deserve,” the website said.

No one at the company answered the phone Wednesday.

Sharon Rengers, a longtime child advocate at Kosair Children’s Hospital in Louisville, said making and marketing weapons specifically for children was “mind-boggling.”

“We’re having a big national debate whether we want to check somebody’s background, but we’re going to offer a 4-year-old a gun and expect something good from that?”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#7293 May 2, 2013
Will Munny wrote:
<quoted text>Not having firearms in the house, would have certainly reduced the risk of death by firearm to this child, no doubt. But isn't that still putting the blame on an inanimate object instead of where it belonged? YES. It was the parents who were negligent, irresponsible, and lacked ANY resemblance of responsibility on this matter. It was the PARENTS who gave a gun as a present to a 5 year old, and then left him to his own devices....who does that?. Make no mistake about it...it was simple stupidity that caused this death. And it wasn't by the 5 year old. IMO (as well), the parents should be locked up for neglect and ignorance, that lead to the death of a two year old.

They are devastated, with that I have no doubt. As a parent, I would be crushed as it is. But I also did NOT EVER once, even consider giving my 5 year old daughter a firearm, and then to proceed to leave her unsupervised. It's a matter of common sense.

And with the lack of common sense (the real culprit).... the same result of death, or possibly the deaths of both the children could have taken place, by any various number of reasons. Here is the list of top 10 causes of death to children.

http://www.qualityhealth.com/childrens-health...

I respect your opinion on the subject, as I can only hope that you respect mine, though not of a real concern to myself. But to even momentarily consider this incident the fault of the firearm, is incorrect, and is at the very least mildly insulting to any and all responsible gun owners, as well as all parents that possess any resemblance of common sense.
Common sense has been "taught" out of US students. Those that never went to school, have had common sense bred out of them.
Say hey to Ned and the Scofield Kid.

Level 5

Location hidden

#7294 May 2, 2013
Will Munny wrote:
<quoted text>
Not having firearms in the house, would have certainly reduced the risk of death by firearm to this child, no doubt. But isn't that still putting the blame on an inanimate object instead of where it belonged? YES.
NO.

Level 5

Location hidden

#7295 May 2, 2013
Will Munny wrote:
But I also did NOT EVER once, even consider giving my 5 year old daughter a firearm, and then to proceed to leave her unsupervised.
A few weeks ago, a man was practicing his quick draw- he had just gotten a job as a security guard- and shot his girl friend's daughter in the head.

Who supervises him?

Level 5

Location hidden

#7296 May 2, 2013
Dr-Sniper wrote:
<quoted text>
Common sense has been "taught" out of US students.
You are full of [email protected], dr-deflection.

Explains why- whenever you open your mouth- it spews out with such volume.

Some are just incredibly stupid.

Ninety percent of Americans understand why background checks are needed when guns are sold to strangers.

Then there is the incredibly stupid who insist they aren't.

Level 5

Location hidden

#7297 May 2, 2013
Will Munny wrote:
Yes, that's what it means.

Do read what I said above about people being incredibly stupid.

Unfortunately, some, like you, apparently, become parents.

Have you ever heard of seat belt laws?

“I'm Hillary's Deplorable”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#7298 May 2, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
Hundreds of stories every year, year after year.
So much for the gun in the home saving lives.
They don't report the stories of gun's in the home saving lives, or on the street's either. "barefoot2626" certainly never cites those stories.

barefoot2626 wrote:
Yeah, too bad that you don't save your child's life now. And your wife's life.
I do everything I can to make their lives better. They can save themselves, I couldn't hurt anyone.

barefoot2626 wrote:
You strike me as the kind of guy who chicken out halfway through the murder suicide.
"barefoot2626" strikes me as the kind of guy who would confuse the order of a murder/suicide. Good for him!

I never advocate suicide, under any condition, except in self defense.

Level 5

Location hidden

#7299 May 2, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>They don't report the stories of gun's in the home saving lives, or on the street's either.
Since the ratio is about 40-1, savings lives versus taking lives, it isn't very hard.

Level 5

Location hidden

#7300 May 2, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
"barefoot2626" certainly never cites those stories..
Why don't you show us all the story you posted where a child was killed handling a firearm?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 5 min Old Sam 4,381
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 5 min Sam 61,465
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 6 min Old Sam 9,289
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 6 min Princess Hey 147,187
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 7 min SUG here 4,057
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 8 min Princess Hey 14,003
2words into 2new words (May '12) 8 min Sharlene45 5,069
News Police Respond To St. Cloud Mall On Reports Of ... 14 min Illary Clinton 172
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 18 min unreals_dad 200,810
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 1 hr Grace Nerissa 9,099
More from around the web