Only cowards need guns

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

Since: Feb 08

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

#6480 Apr 3, 2013
"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms" ~ Thomas Jefferson ...

No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms (Quotation)

This sentence comes from Thomas Jefferson's three drafts of the Virginia Constitution. The text does vary slightly in each draft:

First Draft: "No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."[1]

Second Draft: "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms [within his own lands or tenements]."[2]

Third Draft: "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms [within his own lands or tenements]"[3]

This sentence does not appear in the Virginia Constitution as adopted.

Note: This sentence is often seen paired with the following: "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." That sentence does not appear in the Virginia Constitution drafts or text as adopted, nor in any other Jefferson writings that we know of.

Point of reference: The Jefferson Monticello ... FC ...

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#6481 Apr 3, 2013
Flower-Child wrote:
This sentence comes from Thomas Jefferson's three drafts of the Virginia Constitution. The text does vary slightly in each draft:
Second Draft: "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms [within his own lands or tenements]."[2]
Third Draft: "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms [within his own lands or tenements]"[3]
Note: This sentence is often seen paired with the following: "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." That sentence does not appear in the Virginia Constitution drafts or text as adopted, nor in any other Jefferson writings that we know of.
Freeman is a term which originated in 12th century Europe and is common as an English or American Colonial expression in Puritan times. In the Bay Colony, a man had to be a member of the Church to be a freeman. In Colonial Plymouth, a man did not need to be a member of the Church, but he had to be elected to this privilege by the General Court. Being a freeman carried with it the right to vote, and by 1632 only freemen could vote in Plymouth.

Black's Law Dictionary (9th edition) defines Freeman as
1. A person who possesses and enjoys all the civil and political rights belonging to the people under a free government.
2. A person who is not a slave.
3. Hist. A member of a municipal corporation (a city or a borough) who possesses full civic rights, esp. the right to vote.
4. Hist. A freeholder. Cf. VILLEIN.
5. Hist. An allodial landowner.

"Freedom" was earned after an allotted time, or until the person demanding "payment" was satisfied – this was known as indentured servitude, and was not originally intended as a stigma or embarrassment for the person involved since many of the sons and daughters of the wealthy and famous of the time found themselves forced into such temporary servitude.

In terms that even Thomas Jefferson the slave owner would understand, a "freeman" was not a slave, a freeman was not everyone - since "freedom" was earned after an "allotted time." Perhaps The Virginia Constitution and it's racist undertones isn't the best example to use, FC.

Level 5

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#6482 Apr 3, 2013
Flower-Child wrote:
Freeman = white.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#6483 Apr 3, 2013
Flower-Child wrote:
nice info , but let me point out that only one was passed by all , all 13

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#6484 Apr 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Freeman = white.
Thomas Jefferson, grandfather of all Southern rednecks.
Strike Farce Tally

Spring Lake, MI

#6485 Apr 3, 2013
tallyho wrote:
boy the turn out is far better than I had hope for:.........bet two more pages
what u talkin bout pops?
SLACK

Spring Lake, MI

#6486 Apr 3, 2013
Flower-Child wrote:
the most important and least understood quote by Jefferson

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a
rebellion... We have had thirteen States independent for eleven
years. There has been one rebellion. That comes to one
rebellion in a century and a half, for each State. What country
before ever existed a century and a half without a rebellion?" --
Thomas Jefferson to William S. Smith, 1787.
SLACK

Spring Lake, MI

#6487 Apr 3, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thomas Jefferson, grandfather of all Southern rednecks.
you are a pathetic pregidous old man, just like tally

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#6488 Apr 3, 2013
"The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities." ~ Abraham Lincoln, July 1, 1854

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#6489 Apr 3, 2013
SLACK wrote:
<quoted text>you are a pathetic pregidous old man, just like tally
You're going to have to do a little better than that Smack.

I'd love to give you a ride on the end of this here size 10-1/2 old man boot - free of charge.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#6490 Apr 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>If you are not using your real name, you have and you are using an alias, and quite obvious you are not a doctor and most likely not even a high school graduate and you aren't on your first alias.

If you aren't a female, I am thinking that that would be the legal status which hasn't been resolved yet and that you still tape your genitals and pad a bra on weekends.
Keep harping in the same old crap that has been covered. I made it perfectly clear that I referred to terminology utilized by topix users, not necessarily a textbook definition. If that is all you have to feel good about yourself, knock yourself out. It is pretty pathetic.

Prove that I am not a doctor or that I never graduated high school. You frequently present your opinion as fact. Yes, I predict you sherking that task an shifting the burden of proof to me despite it being your claims of falsity.

The insults simply reveal that you have nothing of substance to back your opinions or stance.

Location hidden

#6491 Apr 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>I back everything I say.

I like using exact quotes, not paraphrases.

My version of the Second Amendment runs over two dozen words; yours not quite a dozen.

Funny how that is.
BS!

I don't recall seeing quotations in your posts.

My version is the version.
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
You may claim that as your version, but you fail to interpret the entire amendment.

Location hidden

#6492 Apr 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>Scalia uses his real name and he is a Supreme Court justice.

You use a fake name and you didn't graduate from high school let alone law school.

While you may not give a rat's azz, your opinion is not worth the opinion of a rat's azz because you don't know what you are talking about.
So no one's interpretation of the Constitution is valid, unless they graduated law school? So where is your law degree from?

Location hidden

#6493 Apr 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>It certain can and is and will continue to be. The right- like ALL rights- are not unlimited. You have the right to free speech; you do not have the right to shout 'fire' in a theater.
The freedom of speech does not include the phrase,"shall not be infringed" now does it?

Location hidden

#6494 Apr 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>Liar.

You told us that you knew the 2nd amendment 'verbatim'.
Again editing my posts to attempt making an invalid point.
The definition of infringe, is to limit or undermine.
Your stance is that the right to keep and bear arms can be limited. That is just another way of saying the right to keep and bear arms can be infringed.

As eternal cynic has already pointed out, you are willfully ignorant.

Location hidden

#6495 Apr 3, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>and it seems you still haven't learned . well at least you know ,,tearful one
Another willfully ignorant individual.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#6496 Apr 3, 2013
"willfully ignorant"

Get used to it boys and girls - it'll be the new catch phrase for a while on this thread.
SLACK

Spring Lake, MI

#6497 Apr 3, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're going to have to do a little better than that Smack.
I'd love to give you a ride on the end of this here size 10-1/2 old man boot - free of charge.
can you even walk wearing my 13EEEE

but that has nothing to do with you being pathetic
SLACK

Spring Lake, MI

#6498 Apr 3, 2013
Dr-Sniper wrote:
<quoted text>
Another willfully ignorant individual.
pregidous people are always ignorant

michellepain
Level 2

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#6499 Apr 3, 2013
Using your line of reasoning each of us can make a list of what we see no need for and say

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 2 min Parden Pard 5,020
Start a sentence in alphabetical order.. 4 min Parden Pard 2,649
Who Are You Missing Today? (Feb '12) 6 min Lifelover 384
What's for dinner? (Feb '12) 17 min Old Sam 8,594
Poll Do You Have A Topix Crush? (2014 Version) (Oct '14) 19 min Old Sam 327
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 20 min Old Sam 36,080
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 20 min T Bone 211,450
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 1 hr RustyS 1,344
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr Missing inAction 71,187
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr Lifelover 3,226