“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Level 4

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

#3591 Feb 16, 2013
Great White Snark wrote:
<quoted text>Nope. The law abiding should be allowed, it's the scum, deviant, unhinged sect that DOES get guns that should not. You should be as concerned about them having access, think of new ways to ensure this craziness ends and not throw your hands up and say, "we'll I guess we just need to arm ourselves, how does this 9mm go with my red speedo?".
No one is saying YOU lose your gun. Obama didn't say that either.
Have you read the Feinstein bill? Have you actually listened to Obama?

On the 9mm, no thanks. Iíll stick with my .45.

“ASPIRE 2 INSPIRE B4 U EXPIRE”

Level 8

Since: Jul 08

USA

#3593 Feb 16, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you show everyone where I said we should take guns away from everybody?
I know, I know: you are full of cr@p and when you are spitting it out like a spreader on the back of a tracker you don't like to be interrupted, and you probably don't it when I point out that you are a m/f c/s liar.
So do let's wait for you to show EVERYONE here where I suggested we should take guns away from everyone.
And when you find it, I'll stop posting.
Okay dear?
Deal?
And you don't post until you find it.
PS: a "few" gun owners every single day kill the wives or someone in their immediate family, every day, every single day.
Your story was close to three years old...
Oh, look at you all grown up and finally able to use real swear words and wouldn't you know it, topix will censor it, so you only get to use initials. What a buzz kill
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You may not have posted the word ALL, but the gist of your posts is that if only the big bad guns were all gone, then women would not be killed by the misanthrope men. If only all those irresponsible adults who own dare to own guns and have children would eliminate all those pesky guns, then children would not have access to guns that cause them to kill other children. Why if that happened, then, the only people with guns would be the uber prepared, ultra responsible adults who were either military, or law enforcement with the with a miniscule amount of special people, like celebrities and politicians thrown in for good measure.
Where does your perfect world leave the 2nd Amendment. Gutted and tossed on the trash heap of history, that's where.

Level 8

USA

#3594 Feb 16, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not even close.
Now we have the numbers proffered by the NRA: that once a week someone with gun hears a noise in a bush and runs out with a firearm and shouts "who's that"? and hearing nothing... goes back in... and 'saves' four lives... there's two hundred...
COUGH.
Check this out
Guns and Self Defense
http://www.cato.org/guns-and-self-defense

So, how often do Americans use firearms for self-defense?

Criminologist Gary Kleck estimates that 2.5 million Americans use guns to defend themselves each year. Out of that number, 400,000 believe that but for their firearms, they would have been dead.

Professor Emeritus James Q. Wilson, the UCLA public policy expert, says: "We know from Census Bureau surveys that something beyond 100,000 uses of guns for self-defense occur every year. We know from smaller surveys of a commercial nature that the number may be as high as 2 1/2 or 3 million. We don't know what the right number is, but whatever the right number is, it's not a trivial number."

Former Manhattan Assistant District Attorney David P. Koppel studied gun control for the Cato Institute. Citing a 1979-1985 study by the National Crime Victimization Survey, Koppel found: "When a robbery victim does not defend himself, the robber succeeds 88 percent of the time, and the victim is injured 25 percent of the time. When a victim resists with a gun, the robbery success rate falls to 30 percent, and the victim injury rate falls to 17 percent. No other response to a robbery Ė from drawing a knife to shouting for help to fleeing Ė produces such low rates of victim injury and robbery success."

http://westnet.com/~levins/guncontrol5.html
This information is taken from an excellent summary booklet put out by Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership entitled "Will Gun Control Make You Safer?", issue number six in their "Gran'pa Jack" series of pamphlets.

Gun Control Saves Lives

New York City and Washington, D.C. are two of the most restrictive cities in the country with respect to gun control, yet they are also two of the least safest cities in the country.

Criminals buy guns outside of the restrictive areas and bring them in illegally.

Arlington, VA has a significantly lower crime rate than D.C., but it's right next door (see the FBI "Crime in the United States" reports).

Handguns are 43 times more likely to kill a member of your own family than an intruder.

The study by Arthur Kellermann from which that statistic is pulled doesn't say that. The number includes suicides. The study doesn't take into account defensive uses in which a shot was not fired (99% of the uses), and it doesn't reflect intruders avoiding homes with firearms inside.

Your gun is more likely to kill you or someone you love than an intruder.

Less than one percent of defensive gun uses results in a kill (see Gary Kleck's book "Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America). According to the National Institute of Justice's report "Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms", guns are used over 1.5 million times a year in self defense. With tens of thousands of gun deaths a year, that means that firearms are used 40 times more often for protection than for murder.

We would all be safer if there were fewer guns.

Guns in the wrong hands are dangerous, but in the right hands they are used for protection and deterrence. According to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports, Georgia's homicide rate dropped 21% after making it easier to get guns, whereas Wisconsin's rate went up 33% during the same time period after making it more difficult to get guns. There are a lot of factors that go into homicide rates, but gun ownership is definitely not one of them.

Level 4

Wesley Chapel, FL

#3598 Feb 17, 2013
Great White Snark wrote:
<quoted text>Denny just said we should get rid of pools to save children. Are you that selfish you can't budge an inch to save the lives of millions? There is no need for automatic guns in society.
You really are clueless. How many people in this nation own automatic weapons? How many crimes have been committed with automatic weapons?

Save the life of millions? Who's ass are you pulling that from?

Denny was being sarcastic.

Level 4

Wesley Chapel, FL

#3599 Feb 17, 2013
Force Majeure wrote:
<quoted text>
They also put the tape around the body (and the gun) of the armed idiot who watched too many Joan Wayne shoot-em-up films. He could have given up his wallet but he pulled out his pop gun instead and payed with his wallet and his life.
<quoted text>
Agreed.
<quoted text>
Do I?
<quoted text>
Smoking in a public setting increases the risk to others too. I have grave difficulties believing you don't understand that.
<quoted text>
"Through the windshield" was not my point, but someone else's. The main point is that any freely ejected object within an automobile is a danger to all passengers, most pointedly to the driver whose responsibility it is to be "in control". Furthermore, it ought to be common knowledge that parents (adults) have responsibility for children in most (all?) situations. If you see a child in a dangerous situation do you try to stop it from happening? Of course you do.
<quoted text>
I've read other posts by you and I know you're not an idiot. This sentence of yours is a cop-out.
Youíre advocating we should all play the role of victim?

Iím not really surprised though. Your nation allowed Nazi Germany to use Swedish infrastructure to carry out atrocities against the people of Europe. Thatís right, keep playing the victim.

I choose not to play the role of victim. To end crime we must stand up against it.

Youíre missing the larger picture. So what if some people are exposed to smoke if they voluntarily enter an establishment which allows smoking. They were forced to go inside, they chose to go inside.

I in no way advocate the removal of seatbelts. I do support laws which require children to be restrained until theyíre old enough to make their own decision.

Our governmentsí powers are supposed to be restricted by our constitution. Too many Americans are willing to look the other way if they feel new restrictions may save a few lives. Freedom is more important than safety.

Level 4

Wesley Chapel, FL

#3600 Feb 17, 2013
Force Majeure wrote:
<quoted text>
The ability to remain in control of an automobile depends 100% upon the drivers stability behind the wheel. There are any number of situations where the driver's capabilities are diminished without the aid of a seat belt. That means an automobile is "out of control" and in direct danger to all passengers within and those outside, whether other drivers or pedestrians.
The bottom line is that "it should NOT be your choice" to endanger the lives of others.
Iíve driven substantially more than a million miles in my lifetime. Itís incredibly rare for someone to be taken from behind the wheel restrained or not. Youíre grasping for the proverbial straw.

Not wearing a seatbelt in no way endangers the lives of others. You do indeed have minimally greater risk of personal injury. Did you know sometimes seatbelts actually kill?
Honestly

United States

#3601 Feb 17, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
You really are clueless. How many people in this nation own automatic weapons? How many crimes have been committed with automatic weapons?
Save the life of millions? Who's ass are you pulling that from?
Denny was being sarcastic.
That's Geno, and yes, he's an idiot. He probably pulled it out of Fairyman's butt. He once claimed to be a Republican, but falling in love must have changed him somehow.

Level 4

Wesley Chapel, FL

#3602 Feb 17, 2013
Force Majeure wrote:
<quoted text>
As is very well known, Americans murder more people than any other nation in the entire world. And I'm not even including the American military! Just civilians murdering other civilians. So .......
You say, "Guns in the wrong hands are dangerous". The obvious message then is that guns in the hands of Americans is dangerous. Your country does not have the right balance of education, gainful opportunity, civil justice and community care. Therefore, you have an increasing percentage of citizens who have "no way out" other than crime. The consequence of that is an equal number of people who feel "unsafe". However, the escalation of arms IS NOT the solution to your problems any more than distributing F16's to the public in order to prevent another 7/11 attack on NYC.
You must adjust for population. Aside from that we do not have the most murders despite our population of over 300,000,000.

Our murder rate is 4.8 per 100,000, there are more than 70 countries with a higher rate. 7 nations have raw murder numbers higher than the US. Of those 7, 6 of them have substantially smaller populations.
Ted Stevenson

Schaumburg, IL

#3603 Feb 17, 2013
In fairness- if the media were being fair- they would report school shootings as they do the life-saving efforts of gun owners. This is to say, not at all! It has been documented that two and a half million times a year lives have been saved by people having guns. The very reason the Japanese didn't invade us was be cause we have guns! But, you don't hear about that from the lame stream media because all they want to do is make guns look bad instead of good. Well, if they stop going on about school shootings then those won't be a problem! I want to hear more stories about heroes with guns! Come on, media- join us!

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#3604 Feb 17, 2013
Cowards need bulletproofing, heroes need guns.

Level 8

USA

#3607 Feb 17, 2013
I don't expect the anti gun, pro gun ban crowd to even open these links, but if by chance one of them wants to actually learn something, then here are the statistics, first per capita and last by total.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countrie...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/...

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit...

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#3608 Feb 17, 2013
REDNECK HIPPIE wrote:
I don't expect the anti gun, pro gun ban crowd to even open these links, but if by chance one of them wants to actually learn something, then here are the statistics, first per capita and last by total.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countrie...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/...
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit...
Pearls before swine

Level 8

USA

#3609 Feb 17, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Pearls before swine
True, I should not try to give them facts, since their minds are already made up and closed.

Level 4

Wesley Chapel, FL

#3610 Feb 17, 2013
Force Majeure wrote:
<quoted text>
I take back what I said about you not being an idiot.
Canít argue the point so you resort to name calling?

Keep playing the role of victim. Iíll protect myself and my family.

Level 5

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#3611 Feb 17, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
If the government wants no smoking in those establishments then smoking should be banned.
If 'the government' decides smoking in restaurants should be banned, then the government should and does ban it.

And these smoking bans- for the most part- come from the VOTE of the people, that is how democracies work.

You might notice that drinking is legal yet in some places it is banned.

E.G.: parks.

Since now smoking and drinking is (in some places) banned in parks, I guess it would make sense to you take neither should be restricted.

Level 5

Location hidden

#3612 Feb 17, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
Also, there are cases where the seatbelt actually contributes to the fatality.
Right... it saves ten thousand lives a year but you heard of a case ten years ago when someone drove off a bridge and couldn't get it unbuckled... gosh!

So why buckle up children?

Level 5

Location hidden

#3613 Feb 17, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
The smokerís piece on this will vary according to their beliefs.
Now that smoking pot is legal in Colorado, there's no need to put restrictions on where they can smoke, eh?

Level 5

Location hidden

#3614 Feb 17, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
More kids drown in swimming pool accidents than with gun accidents.
No, they don't, and 2,700+ children die a year as a result of firearms, do stop pretending you can restrict the number of deaths you are willing to count.

PS: Most places require fences around swimming pools to help prevent accidental drownings. Why do gun gnutters insist on special rights?

Level 5

Location hidden

#3615 Feb 17, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Thatís exactly correct. The market will dictate if smoking is allowed or not.
Democracy outranks the market.

We say: no smoking.

For those of us who travel, it takes but a minute to know when we are in a state that still allows a handful to foul the air with their filthy habit.

Level 5

Location hidden

#3616 Feb 17, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
Canít argue the point so you resort to name calling?
Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 min SLY WEST 147,731
What ?? are you thinking about NOW? 2014 26 min Michael 458
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 35 min Adrian DeVine 7,141
Missing posters.. (Jan '14) 52 min SLY WEST 33
Funny!! Word association game. (Nov '13) 58 min wichita-rick 1,732
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 1 hr whatimeisit 40,329
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 1 hr whatimeisit 3,465
Ebola in America 1 hr Just TLC 38
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 2 hr ---Word Woman--- 21,395
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 4 hr Law D Doll 6,418

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE