Federal report: Warming is disrupting...

Federal report: Warming is disrupting America with weird weather, rising pollen, more costs

There are 1084 comments on the Cape Breton Post story from May 6, 2014, titled Federal report: Warming is disrupting America with weird weather, rising pollen, more costs. In it, Cape Breton Post reports that:

Global warming is rapidly turning America into a stormy and dangerous place, with rising seas and disasters costing citizens from flood-stricken Florida to the wildfire-ravaged West, according to a new U.S. federal scientific report.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Cape Breton Post.

Survey Sez

Owensboro, KY

#441 May 13, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>If solar and wind power is cost effective it doesn't need federal grant money. Capitalism will make it grow
A federal court has upheld an Environmental Protection Agency mercury emissions rule responsible for forcing hundreds of coal-fired power plants to retire across the country.

The U.S. Court of Appeals in D.C. upheld the EPA’s Mercury Air Toxics Standards (MATS) for coal and oil-fired power plants. The rule limits emissions of mercury and other air pollutants from such power plants, and the court victory has been hailed by environmentalists as a victory for public health.

“Today’s legal victory is another giant step forward on the road to cleaner, healthier air,” said Fred Krupp, president of the Environmental Defense Fund.“The court recognized that mercury and other dangerous air toxins from coal-fired power plants are a threat to public health, and that we should all be protected from them

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#442 May 13, 2014
Survey Sez wrote:
As utilities find nuclear power less and less cost effective, new solar photovoltaic installations in the United States are springing up. New solar installations in 2013 reached a record 4.2 gigawatts, bringing the total to 10. On average, one gigawatt of solar photovoltaics powers 164,000 U.S. homes. That means power for 1.6 million homes.
Worldwide, in 2013, solar power installations grew by 38 gigawatts, from 96 to 134.
Solar power is great in many states. There is a solar powered clock in London that doesn't produce enough electricity to run it. Like many things it doesn't work but makes a political statement. We need to release to production of gas, oil ,and coal. Drill baby drill and get the economy rolling again. We need to start the Keystone pipeline and employ more people

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#443 May 13, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>none of which has anything to do with man made co2.....thank you very much.
CO2 is at the highest point we have known in history but has not produced the predicted global warming. The computer models are wrong :)
Survey Sez

Owensboro, KY

#444 May 13, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Solar power is great in many states. There is a solar powered clock in London that doesn't produce enough electricity to run it. Like many things it doesn't work but makes a political statement. We need to release to production of gas, oil ,and coal. Drill baby drill and get the economy rolling again. We need to start the Keystone pipeline and employ more people
Yeah I agree we should get all the oil we can here or at least Canada but I think it can be done without poisoning out water air food. Might cost a little more.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#445 May 13, 2014
Survey Sez wrote:
<quoted text>
A federal court has upheld an Environmental Protection Agency mercury emissions rule responsible for forcing hundreds of coal-fired power plants to retire across the country.
The U.S. Court of Appeals in D.C. upheld the EPA’s Mercury Air Toxics Standards (MATS) for coal and oil-fired power plants. The rule limits emissions of mercury and other air pollutants from such power plants, and the court victory has been hailed by environmentalists as a victory for public health.
“Today’s legal victory is another giant step forward on the road to cleaner, healthier air,” said Fred Krupp, president of the Environmental Defense Fund.“The court recognized that mercury and other dangerous air toxins from coal-fired power plants are a threat to public health, and that we should all be protected from them
King Obama plans to use the EPA to due what is against the will of congress. Clean coal is vital to the economy. The average income is down about $5500 thanks to Obama while he wants economic equality

“Taste great in milk!”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

#446 May 13, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>CO2 is at the highest point we have known in history but has not produced the predicted global warming. The computer models are wrong :)
I try tellin''em that, but do they listen?......noooooo..
Survey Sez

Owensboro, KY

#447 May 13, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>King Obama plans to use the EPA to due what is against the will of congress. Clean coal is vital to the economy. The average income is down about $5500 thanks to Obama while he wants economic equality
How do toxins get into fish? Chemical manufacturers and coal-burning industrial plants are the main source. These facilities release mercury into the air and rain washes it down into our rivers, lakes, and oceans, where interaction with anaerobic organisms converts it into methylmercury. Fish and shellfish absorb this toxin as they feed and it builds up in the tissue of the animal over time. Thus, the larger the fish, the higher its mercury content.

What are the risks to fish eaters from these substances? Methylmercury can damage the nervous system, immune system, and heart — but the greatest risk is to fetuses, infants, and young children. Pregnant or nursing woman who ingest even small amounts of mercury can pass on toxins to their fetus or infant.
SpaceBlues

United States

#448 May 13, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>none of which has anything to do with man made co2.....thank you very much.
"It means climate science and climate change are older than the atom bomb, older than the discovery of penicillin and the older than recognition of DNA. It's older than trans-Atlantic jet flights, digital computers and moon rockets. Climate science and its conclusions are now venerable, established science. To claim anything else is to rewrite history."

LOL.
litesong

Everett, WA

#449 May 13, 2014
litesong wrote:
You said you got 2 degrees........ basket weaving & how to sell basket weaving?
/////////
"ratdownthemiddledownwron ggully" gushed:
did you take a course on (hunting) birds with a pellet gun........
//////////
litesong wrote:
Good classes in Air-O-die-namics & bawl-is-tiks are good to have. Many a cross-wind have saved millions of birds. Good that you have an interest in hunting.

Have you sold many baskets? Baskets the quality of Native Tribes Artistry can sell at good prices. But yer probably not any good. My wife sold 10 paintings & prints the other day.

Since: Apr 13

Scappoose, Oregon USA

#450 May 13, 2014
Xstain Mullah Aroma wrote:
Car-ma, among other things.
My karma ran over my dogma! LOL

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#451 May 13, 2014
Survey Sez wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I agree we should get all the oil we can here or at least Canada but I think it can be done without poisoning out water air food. Might cost a little more.
I am all for clean air and clean water.The environment is important to all of us. It is the radical environmentalist who put the snail darter above the welfare of humans that are the problem. They talk about the drought in California yet don't admit that the pumping of water into lush growing areas is the cause of the problem all because of an endangered fish
SpaceBlues

United States

#452 May 13, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>CO2 is at the highest point we have known in history but has not produced the predicted global warming. The computer models are wrong :)
Listen carefully. Highest in 800,000 years of history of our planet.

First ever man-made global climate change!

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#453 May 13, 2014
Jenji wrote:
<quoted text>
My karma ran over my dogma! LOL
Clever :)
Survey Sez

Owensboro, KY

#454 May 13, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>I am all for clean air and clean water.The environment is important to all of us. It is the radical environmentalist who put the snail darter above the welfare of humans that are the problem. They talk about the drought in California yet don't admit that the pumping of water into lush growing areas is the cause of the problem all because of an endangered fish
Yeah but this is people, pretty much everybody in the United States. They recommend you eat fish no more than twice a month none if you're pregnant? A lot of lakes and rivers, you don't eat the fish. And I'm sure fish is not the only way of ingesting mercury.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#455 May 13, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Listen carefully. Highest in 800,000 years of history of our planet.
First ever man-made global climate change!
There is no man made global warming! There has not been warming for the last 17 years according to the leaked UN report. Man has made climate change by over grazing with goats in Africa which advanced the deserts. It is possible that man removing the forest of England has had an effect on climate but that is difficult to prove because no records that far in the past. Global warming is now called climate change because the globe has stopped warming long ago. Climates have always changed over time but that doesn't mean it was changed by man. It has been much warmer and much hotter in the past. Weather runs in long term cycles. The southwest has been going into a drouth cycle much like we had in the dust bowl days of the 30's. Did man cause the dust bowl? It amazes me that you think the government who could not write a health care web site can control the climate. Al Gore predicted there would be no Arctic ice by 2013. He is a con man with a fraud to sell

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#456 May 13, 2014
Survey Sez wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah but this is people, pretty much everybody in the United States. They recommend you eat fish no more than twice a month none if you're pregnant? A lot of lakes and rivers, you don't eat the fish. And I'm sure fish is not the only way of ingesting mercury.
Mercury is a great example. I remember long ago in elementary school when the teacher passed around mercury for the kids to play with. Taking pennies to make shiny with mercury. Now if a thermostat is broken the school is evacuated. These self appointed experts like Al Gore and Rachel Carson cause great harm. Thousand of people die from malaria and the left thinks they are doing great by sending mosquito nets when the proper use of DDT could save countless lives
litesong

Everett, WA

#457 May 13, 2014
FundieMentally ill wrote:
make up fantasies about 31,0000 unnamed, unknown, unreferenced, unpublished, undated scientists of uncertain disciplines.....
In truth, the petition, handled by one paid person, was signed, not by scientists, but anyone with a college degree & possibly not that either, since many signatures were forged.

“BET DAP”

Level 4

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#458 May 13, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>"It means climate science and climate change are older than the atom bomb, older than the discovery of penicillin and the older than recognition of DNA. It's older than trans-Atlantic jet flights, digital computers and moon rockets. Climate science and its conclusions are now venerable, established science. To claim anything else is to rewrite history."
LOL.
climate science is still in a situation where knowledge is insufficient and climate models aren't good enough.

it's appropriate to have an open mind and not follow the ipcc as believers of a religious faith.

“BET DAP”

Level 4

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#459 May 13, 2014
litesong wrote:
litesong wrote:

litesong wrote:
Good classes in Air-O-die-namics & bawl-is-tiks are good to have.
LOL

too bad you didn't learn how to spell those classes, son.
litesong

Everett, WA

#460 May 13, 2014
ratdownthemiddledownwronggully wrote:
have an open mind......
"ratdownthemiddledownwron ggully" continues:
......so the wind whistles through it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Earth is making a very weird noise, and sci... 4 min I Am Enzo - The B... 5
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 6 min I Am Enzo - The B... 6,711
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 14 min Tom2Tone 225,984
2words into 2new words (May '12) 36 min wichita-rick 8,909
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 40 min Awwwwwww 32,078
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? (Nov '14) 41 min xxxooxxx 1,324
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 51 min Rose_NoHo 38,884
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 1 hr Princess Hey 150,825
A to Z songs by title or group! (Dec '16) 1 hr wichita-rick 2,454
More from around the web