Glastonbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Judged:

My husband has always been a very heavy beer drinker. He's 60 years old. He is an alcoholic. About seven years ago he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and he stopped drinking for a few years. About 4 years ago he started up again. He can drink a 30 pack plus several more beers in a weekend. He takes several meds for his CHF and I've pointed out that heavy drinking on top of those meds is bad for his health.

Are there any medical people out there who can tell me exactly how this drinking might be affecting his heart failure?

“Have mercy”

Level 3

Since: May 13

On a liar's soul

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Judged:

My opinion is don't ask for opinions on topix.

Level 8

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Judged:

Casey wrote:
My husband has always been a very heavy beer drinker. He's 60 years old. He is an alcoholic. About seven years ago he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and he stopped drinking for a few years. About 4 years ago he started up again. He can drink a 30 pack plus several more beers in a weekend. He takes several meds for his CHF and I've pointed out that heavy drinking on top of those meds is bad for his health.
Are there any medical people out there who can tell me exactly how this drinking might be affecting his heart failure?
Make sure his will is up to date and don't skip any life insurance payments. If you do these two things you will be a moderately wealthy widow in a year or two.
Show him this post. It might help. Hearts to you and your loved one.

“Geaux Tigers!”

Level 9

Since: Jun 12

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

This should be interesting...

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

one thing we are Not lacking here - Is opinions.
lol

I feel sorry for u, but I really don't think there is any way u can "make" him stop drinking unless HE wants to. sometimes people who have a serious health issue give up entirely and think that by doing whatever it is that makes them "forget" about it, is the answer. its not of course, but all u can do is love and support him in any way u feel will help him, hes an adult and will do as he pleases.
I wish u the best and hopefully if u talk to him about how You feel, how it will affect u should he die, maybe just maybe u can convince him then.
good luck.
:}
Level 4

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

WebMD? Maybe?

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

As a professional engineer - when there is problems with no apparent answers, I see opportunities.

Here's my synopsis:

Friday - Sunday = 30-pack of beer

55 hours approx.=.54545 beers an hour (assuming no sleep)

31 hours approx.=.96774 beers an hour (assuming 8 hours of sleep X 3 days)

At almost one beer an hour, that's a problem. Now, if you join him, we now have the following:

.96774 beers per hour/2 =.48387 beers per hour

He cuts his drinking in half, and you get an equally satisfying buzz as well.

Problem solved.

:o)
Bruce Willis

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Water is wet, the sky is blue, women have secrets, who gives a f**k?

(The Last Boy Scout)
Seriously

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Any excess fluids in the body build up in the sacs around the heart & lungs of a person with CFH because the heart muscle is too weak to pump the blood properly. People with CFH usually have a high pulse rate because the heart has to work harder than it would were it healthy. Bidil is a prescription drug (hydralizine/isosorbide in combination) that can lower the pulse rate while helping the heart muscle to pump better. isosorbide is a common drug used to treat CFH. In any case, all fluid intake should be metered to prevent fluid build up and difficulty breathing. While alcohol is by nature a diuretic, it's probably not a good idea the mix it with the meds used to treat CFH and other related conditions.
Casey

Glastonbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

MissStress wrote:
<quoted text> Make sure his will is up to date and don't skip any life insurance payments. If you do these two things you will be a moderately wealthy widow in a year or two.
Show him this post. It might help. Hearts to you and your loved one.
Thanks.
Casey

Glastonbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

PFfff wrote:
one thing we are Not lacking here - Is opinions.
lol
I feel sorry for u, but I really don't think there is any way u can "make" him stop drinking unless HE wants to. sometimes people who have a serious health issue give up entirely and think that by doing whatever it is that makes them "forget" about it, is the answer. its not of course, but all u can do is love and support him in any way u feel will help him, hes an adult and will do as he pleases.
I wish u the best and hopefully if u talk to him about how You feel, how it will affect u should he die, maybe just maybe u can convince him then.
good luck.
:}
I stopped trying to get him to quite some time ago. I just can't believe he can be so...stupid.
Casey

Glastonbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

milwaukee69 wrote:
As a professional engineer - when there is problems with no apparent answers, I see opportunities.
Here's my synopsis:
Friday - Sunday = 30-pack of beer
55 hours approx.=.54545 beers an hour (assuming no sleep)
31 hours approx.=.96774 beers an hour (assuming 8 hours of sleep X 3 days)
At almost one beer an hour, that's a problem. Now, if you join him, we now have the following:
.96774 beers per hour/2 =.48387 beers per hour
He cuts his drinking in half, and you get an equally satisfying buzz as well.
Problem solved.
:o)
Okay, interesting solution...lol!
Casey

Glastonbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Seriously wrote:
Any excess fluids in the body build up in the sacs around the heart & lungs of a person with CFH because the heart muscle is too weak to pump the blood properly. People with CFH usually have a high pulse rate because the heart has to work harder than it would were it healthy. Bidil is a prescription drug (hydralizine/isosorbide in combination) that can lower the pulse rate while helping the heart muscle to pump better. isosorbide is a common drug used to treat CFH. In any case, all fluid intake should be metered to prevent fluid build up and difficulty breathing. While alcohol is by nature a diuretic, it's probably not a good idea the mix it with the meds used to treat CFH and other related conditions.
I just wonder if the alcohol renders the meds useless.

“Laughing at the Trolls!!”

Level 5

Since: Sep 12

Cadillac MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Casey wrote:
<quoted text>I just wonder if the alcohol renders the meds useless.
Depends, it might intensify the buzz!! Or maybe he don't care, and loves beer.

“water water water water water ”

Since: Oct 07

the place with Pyramid Head

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Casey wrote:
are you stupid or something?? why would you ask that kind of question here for? this isnt the Dr.Phil forum. no one is gonna give you a serious answer

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

WHOA, Chick....HERE is NOT the place to be ASKING for advice.. on YOUR Hubby's Hobby....YOU need to be taking care of him..Counseling, Detox, Therapy and Addiction FREE... WASTING TIME... Here.

Level 5

Cadillac MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Colorado Chick wrote:
WHOA, Chick....HERE is NOT the place to be ASKING for advice.. on YOUR Hubby's Hobby....YOU need to be taking care of him..Counseling, Detox, Therapy and Addiction FREE... WASTING TIME... Here.
Pstt!! CC I think it's all made up.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

David0407 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pstt!! CC I think it's all made up.
REALLY!!...Ya FREAKIN' think SO..DUDE!!!

Level 5

Cadillac MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text>REALLY!!...Ya FREAKIN' think SO..DUDE!!!
Ya!! Don't have to yell at me.

“If you're happy & you know it”

Level 7

clap your hands!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Dude's 60. He's old enough to make his own decisions. If he wants to drown his sorrows in a 12 pack, it's his choice. That's my opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••