85-year-old man accused of felony assault with cane

Jan 5, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WTSP-TV Saint Petersburg

An 85-year-old accused of using his cane as a deadly weapon repeatedly told a Denver judge Thursday that he couldn't hear most of the proceedings that were taking place inside the courtroom.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of43
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

right wing extremist wrote:
<quoted text>
Call your congressman today and demand he introduce a law immediately to ban the sales of all canes in the United States !!! Only rubber canes with a length shorter than 12 inches will be permitted. All existing cane owners will have to register their canes with their state police departments and carry a C.O.I.D.(Cane Owners Identification Card)after passing a background check that verifies no history of mental illness, doestic violence, or criminal history !!! We must stop this senseless cane violence permeating this nation !!!
ok why????
Joe

Santa Barbara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

I've moticed that as people age, they seem to lose a certain amount of impulse control. They lose their filter when saying and doing things. This is controllable on their part, if they choose to. As for the medication, all jails have staff to insure prisoners get their medication. If they don't have the staff, they take them to the hospital to get it prescribed. Sorry, but advanced age is no excuse for this behavior. We were all taught as children, keep your hands (and your canes) to yourself!

“n stuff..”

Level 7

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Joe wrote:
I've moticed that as people age, they seem to lose a certain amount of impulse control. They lose their filter when saying and doing things. This is controllable on their part, if they choose to. As for the medication, all jails have staff to insure prisoners get their medication. If they don't have the staff, they take them to the hospital to get it prescribed. Sorry, but advanced age is no excuse for this behavior. We were all taught as children, keep your hands (and your canes) to yourself!
I disagree, unless this man was simply, a thug..and has past run-ins with authority.. his age most likely had several things to do with his behavior..
at his age Im sure he has some level of dementia.. from mild to severe. If his pass was expired, it shows he was probably at best forgettful...His severe hearing loss played into his confusion...Its common for seniors when they start their downslide to become argumentative , and combative, fighting the process..once the staff person started questioning him,,digging through his car etc, it probably sent the old fella into a complete tailspin...Should he pay for his attack?? well yea...but his health should also be taken into account re his behavior..
This man is 85, go to a nursing home, walk around and chat with the residents who are up, mobile, smiling, and appear to be coherent.. strike up a conversation with them and see how long it takes you to be surprised..by where they live inside their heads, or even attacked..some may even flash you !! all behavior they would have never dreamed of 30 years eariler in thier lives.....its called dementia...

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Joe wrote:
I taught my sons, if someone tries to bully you, floor him!

As for your notion of loss of impulse control among our elderly, you would have to cite evidence beyond the anecdotal. But don't tell my dad. He would kill me!

“Proud White Woman for life!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Time for cane-control laws, and time to outlaw assault canes.

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Spotted Girl wrote:
Time for cane-control laws, and time to outlaw assault canes.
Including candy canes. They have been proven deadly, especially after a year or two.

“Proud White Woman for life!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Including candy canes. They have been proven deadly, especially after a year or two.
LOL! They are the least deadly as far as candy consumption goes. Candy bars are worse. Lets not forget the guy whose attorney blamed Twinkies for a 1978 murder.

According to Romanovsky and Phillips:

"Some man shot our first gay supervisor dead,
the Twinkies made him do it, that's what his attorney said.
He could have gotten life, but he got 7 years instead..."

In that case, Dan White not only shot and killed Harvey Milk as referenced in that song, but he assassinated Mayor George Moscone as well.

“Some Beach”

Level 4

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
too bad , Ray Charles could see better than you
REPORTED for being argumentative and downsliding lol Is there anybody you don't argue with?

“Some Beach”

Level 4

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
too bad , Ray Charles could see better than you
REPORTED for being argumentative and downsliding lol Is there anybody you don't argue with??

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

oddie wrote:
<quoted text>REPORTED for being argumentative and downsliding lol Is there anybody you don't argue with?
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah , unless you lost some accounts did ya ??????????

“Some Beach”

Level 4

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Nah,, but did post it twice,,oopps

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

it will correct its self

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

info:
It is the sort of thing that infuriates drivers like Joseph Paris: parking spaces reserved for the handicapped taken by motorists who do not need them.

“It’s everywhere,” said Paris, an 80-year-old former marathoner who lost the use of his legs 18 years ago.“I see people walking laps in the mall then getting in their car in a handicapped spot.”

What exasperates Paris more than insensitive able-bodied drivers, though, is how often their actions appear to go unchecked.

“When I see it I say,‘There they go again,’” said Paris, who lives in Greece and regularly drives himself.“I’ve gotten to accept it because there’s really nothing I can do about it.”
DonkeyEstonkey

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Don't think he's got a leg to stand on...
Sheik Yerbouti

Pennington, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

Joe wrote:
In the US most jails deny inmates access to medications and health care, especially pain medication. Hopefully he will sue when he gets out!

“Brains are wonderful,”

Level 5

Since: May 10

I wish everyone had one.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

tallyho wrote:
info:
It is the sort of thing that infuriates drivers like Joseph Paris: parking spaces reserved for the handicapped taken by motorists who do not need them.
“It’s everywhere,” said Paris, an 80-year-old former marathoner who lost the use of his legs 18 years ago.“I see people walking laps in the mall then getting in their car in a handicapped spot.”
What exasperates Paris more than insensitive able-bodied drivers, though, is how often their actions appear to go unchecked.
“When I see it I say,‘There they go again,’” said Paris, who lives in Greece and regularly drives himself.“I’ve gotten to accept it because there’s really nothing I can do about it.”
You pretty much just made my point ..... the old guy let his permit run out, so obviously he was one who needed it.
He was also asleep in his car, not sure what that's about but thankfully he didn't fall asleep driving.
If the old fella has lost most of his hearing, he really shouldn't have a license in the first place, but that's another issue. Apparently people who are partially deaf are allowed permits, we have several who frequent our store and they drive.
Have a good day Tally.

“Pompous pontificator”

Level 5

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Joe wrote:
You're right about impulse control; most of us have heard the term "second childhood". Well it's a real thing. I'm no psychologist, but I do have a lot of life experience with old-folks including parents and other old relatives and I can speak with some authority that old people do get abusive. I'm guessing there are several causes of this; I'll take a guess: sadness at the loss of old friends, lonelyness and loss of their-own vitality/health, and a sence of entitlement rationalized by a feeling that they have earned anything and everything they want based on longevity and a lifetime of work and struggles of every type.

You-know, I really can't blame them. Life is tough and really sucks sometime. I'm 60+ now myself and I am starting to feel pretty entitled myself.
I am not excusing this guy's bad behavior. As I already said, he's where he belongs. BUT, I do now understand better how and why he may feel the way he does. Oh and BTW, my MIL turns Left on red where you're not allowed to....and knows better.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

Bar Fly_ok wrote:
<quoted text>
You pretty much just made my point ..... the old guy let his permit run out, so obviously he was one who needed it.
He was also asleep in his car, not sure what that's about but thankfully he didn't fall asleep driving.
If the old fella has lost most of his hearing, he really shouldn't have a license in the first place, but that's another issue. Apparently people who are partially deaf are allowed permits, we have several who frequent our store and they drive.
Have a good day Tally.
1st you have no idea why he has a permit.. did you ever wonder why they give you a permit....

hard of hearing isn't a handicap/permit ....

and all permits are renewable... learn facts ,

a couple more for you ....

ASSAULT:
1]the threat or attempt to strike another, whether successful or not, provided the target is aware of the danger. The assaulter must be reasonably capable of carrying through the attack. In some states if the assault is with a deadly weapon , the intended victim does not need to know of the peril.
2]Degrees of assault are defined according to state laws. Laws vary by state, but generally, assault in the first degree is defined as when a person:

1. With intent to cause serious physical injury to another person, s/he causes serious physical injury to any person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument; or

2. With intent to disfigure another person seriously and permanently, or to destroy, amputate or disable permanently a member or organ of his/her body, s/he causes such an injury to any person; or

3. Under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, s/he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to another person, and thereby causes serious physical injury to any person

when you practice law , you must have a license

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! They are the least deadly as far as candy consumption goes. Candy bars are worse. Lets not forget the guy whose attorney blamed Twinkies for a 1978 murder.
According to Romanovsky and Phillips:
"Some man shot our first gay supervisor dead,
the Twinkies made him do it, that's what his attorney said.
He could have gotten life, but he got 7 years instead..."
In that case, Dan White not only shot and killed Harvey Milk as referenced in that song, but he assassinated Mayor George Moscone as well.
I'd better lay off the Moon Pies, so maybe I could get out on good behavior.

“Brains are wonderful,”

Level 5

Since: May 10

I wish everyone had one.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
1st you have no idea why he has a permit.. did you ever wonder why they give you a permit....
hard of hearing isn't a handicap/permit ....
and all permits are renewable... learn facts ,
a couple more for you ....
ASSAULT:
1]the threat or attempt to strike another, whether successful or not, provided the target is aware of the danger. The assaulter must be reasonably capable of carrying through the attack. In some states if the assault is with a deadly weapon , the intended victim does not need to know of the peril.
2]Degrees of assault are defined according to state laws. Laws vary by state, but generally, assault in the first degree is defined as when a person:
1. With intent to cause serious physical injury to another person, s/he causes serious physical injury to any person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument; or
2. With intent to disfigure another person seriously and permanently, or to destroy, amputate or disable permanently a member or organ of his/her body, s/he causes such an injury to any person; or
3. Under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, s/he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to another person, and thereby causes serious physical injury to any person
when you practice law , you must have a license
Seriously Tally?
I'm not talking about the law, I'm talking about human compassion.
A guy who is handed a citation pad and rides around for free is not doing this out of the kindness of his heart or civil duty, he's a wanna be. He probably gets his jollies by playing cop.
He probably could have approached the old guy by asking him if he was ok. A old man sleeping in his car should have been a red flag. He most likely woke up and was confused, and add some guy running his yap about a parking space, he might have been scared too. The so called cop for a day could of easily asked if he need assistance, call a family member for him. Instead he most likely wanted to be a big shot and he took the guys expired permit away. That isn't part of his job and I seriously have an issue with some jack wagon being handed a ticket book just so he can play cop for a day. Remind me never to visit this city.
He got a headache from a rap on the head, big whoop. No stitches, no lumps, no massive head trauma. Hell, reading your post have given me a headache for two days ..... see you in court.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of43
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••