85-year-old man accused of felony assault with cane

Jan 5, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WTSP-TV Saint Petersburg

An 85-year-old accused of using his cane as a deadly weapon repeatedly told a Denver judge Thursday that he couldn't hear most of the proceedings that were taking place inside the courtroom.

Comments
1 - 20 of 43 Comments Last updated Jan 6, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Bull Ship”

Level 4

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

I don't think this case has any teeth.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

another Cain assault ....

“Brains are wonderful,”

Level 5

Since: May 10

I wish everyone had one.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Little people with little jobs usually have little brains.
Bogus job trying to be a wanna be cop.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Bar Fly_ok wrote:
Little people with little jobs usually have little brains.
Bogus job trying to be a wanna be cop.
so parking in a handicap zone when you are not authorized is ok ,.... break the laws you don't like....

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

We need a congressional hearing to evaluate possible banning of the assault cane..

“Brains are wonderful,”

Level 5

I wish everyone had one.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
so parking in a handicap zone when you are not authorized is ok ,.... break the laws you don't like....
I didn't say I would do it, BUT .... he had a previous permit. Most likely, but I don't know for sure, the guy was probably being a douche. Maybe he had no way to get his permit renewed, even cops let folks off with a warning now and then. Seriously, why bother an old guy over a parking spot.
A wise man once said, "pick and choose your battles wisely".
Our courts are filled with silly lawsuits. The guys was saying he's a senior too, he could have showed a bit of compassion for a man 20 years older.
That is my opinion.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Bar Fly_ok wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say I would do it, BUT .... he had a previous permit. Most likely, but I don't know for sure, the guy was probably being a douche. Maybe he had no way to get his permit renewed, even cops let folks off with a warning now and then. Seriously, why bother an old guy over a parking spot.
A wise man once said, "pick and choose your battles wisely".
Our courts are filled with silly lawsuits. The guys was saying he's a senior too, he could have showed a bit of compassion for a man 20 years older.
That is my opinion.
perhaps there is a nice little old lady from Pasadena and it was a Sunday who had a valid permit to park there , but couldn't ... and had to take the last parking spot ... and then inched her way to get to her bible study group , just maybe

“Pompous pontificator”

Level 5

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

I have always had a high degree of reverence for seniors, hell, I AM one now. But I have come to realize that many of'em don't deserve it; they have come to expect it and have an 'entitled' attitude. So, I have come to the understanding now that some old-folks who behave like this are just young thugs who have aged to become OLD thugs.

Most of us age gracefully and become more 'mellow'....or at-least we should. This guy is just where he belongs...in-jail and answerable for his actions. If he doesn't like being rousted out of his bed, he shouldn't go-round whacking people with his cane for no good reason. If he were a kid, his mother would smack his behind. WHY should any grow man be allowed to behave badly and not face the consequences?

“Brains are wonderful,”

Level 5

I wish everyone had one.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
perhaps there is a nice little old lady from Pasadena and it was a Sunday who had a valid permit to park there , but couldn't ... and had to take the last parking spot ... and then inched her way to get to her bible study group , just maybe
Good grief. Wasn't this at a Home Depot? And let's not forget the old man who spent a night in jail without his meds. Are not older folks allowed a bit of tolerance and compassion?

In my book they are, this should have never escalated to the point that the old guy felt threatened by some wa-zoo acting all tough with his citation pad. The wanna-be could have let it go.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Bar Fly_ok wrote:
<quoted text>
Good grief. Wasn't this at a Home Depot? And let's not forget the old man who spent a night in jail without his meds. Are not older folks allowed a bit of tolerance and compassion?
In my book they are, this should have never escalated to the point that the old guy felt threatened by some wa-zoo acting all tough with his citation pad. The wanna-be could have let it go.
at 66 I hardly believe he was acting , tough and I don't recall him swing a cane and threatening a life , and I do at 85 expect an 85 year old to obey law/rules ....

so now , what it that was a Ray Charles who wanted to park there? huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uum

“Are We Having Fun Yet???”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

If Not, Why Not!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

The acticle says the man with the cane is hard of hearing. The other guy who is giving his time for free might have done everything correctly and the older dude didn't understand and felt threatned.

This whole event seems like a terrible misunderstanding but one thing is and always will be for sure. If you hit someone else you had better be in fear for your life and even then you can end up in jail without what you need to keep you going. In this case the guys meds.

The volunteer may end up with health probs later on, only time will tell and of course we will never know either way......

“n stuff..”

Level 7

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Awww, I think this is a sad story..that quickly got out of hand..
first of all, it sounds like he had no biz operating a vehicle,,seniors should be mandated to take driving tests more often after a certain age, imho..

but all in all, I have to agree with Bex, cut the old cuss a break and let him part where he needs too.
Im sure if his hearing is as bad as the article states, he most likely appeared and became disoriented,,,
and then to be jailed and denyed his meds for whatever reason....downward spiral....
I love seniors.. but alot of em get combative when they are put in these types of situations..
poor guy.... <3

“Brains are wonderful,”

Level 5

I wish everyone had one.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
at 66 I hardly believe he was acting , tough and I don't recall him swing a cane and threatening a life , and I do at 85 expect an 85 year old to obey law/rules ....
so now , what it that was a Ray Charles who wanted to park there? huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uum
Looks to me that an 66 year old was pushing around an older fart and got his butt handed to him.
Old people sometimes get confused, the younger putz could have let it go. And remember he confiscated the old guys expired permit, I think that's when things went awry.
Someone who works for free in a position of self power tends to think they are the big dog, <sounds like little man issues>. Yes, I think the putz likes using his BIG authority.
Parden pard

Catasauqua, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

WHAT,,,????
Screw Knudsen

Avon Lake, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Look how many people have handicapped placards that KEEP USING THEM even after they don't need them anymore. I know at least TWO people that do this. They make me sick.

85-year-old John Copeland HAD placard. It was just expired.
Perhaps he hadn't been feeling well enough to get the card renewed.

If anyone BESIDES law enforcement tried to confiscate my credentials I'd whack them with whatever I had handy.

ONLY a POLICE OFFICER (not an ahole pretending to be one) should have to right to do this.

What has this world come to when nazi volunteers can harass old men asleep in their cars. This ahole SHOULD have called the police when he refused to give up the placard.

I hope a sympathetic lawyer steps up to the plate and countersues this ahole.

If the father dies while incarcerated, I hope the family sues the freaking state of Colorado.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Bar Fly_ok wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks to me that an 66 year old was pushing around an older fart and got his butt handed to him.
Old people sometimes get confused, the younger putz could have let it go. And remember he confiscated the old guys expired permit, I think that's when things went awry.
Someone who works for free in a position of self power tends to think they are the big dog, <sounds like little man issues>. Yes, I think the putz likes using his BIG authority.
too bad , Ray Charles could see better than you

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Since is raising cane a crime?

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Since when, that is. I ruined my own wisecrack!
right wing extremist

Altamont, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

tallyho wrote:
another Cain assault ....
Call your congressman today and demand he introduce a law immediately to ban the sales of all canes in the United States !!! Only rubber canes with a length shorter than 12 inches will be permitted. All existing cane owners will have to register their canes with their state police departments and carry a C.O.I.D.(Cane Owners Identification Card)after passing a background check that verifies no history of mental illness, doestic violence, or criminal history !!! We must stop this senseless cane violence permeating this nation !!!

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

right wing extremist wrote:
<quoted text>
Call your congressman today and demand he introduce a law immediately to ban the sales of all canes in the United States !!! Only rubber canes with a length shorter than 12 inches will be permitted. All existing cane owners will have to register their canes with their state police departments and carry a C.O.I.D.(Cane Owners Identification Card)after passing a background check that verifies no history of mental illness, doestic violence, or criminal history !!! We must stop this senseless cane violence permeating this nation !!!
Tell you what, extremist. I'll point my gun at you, and you can come at me with a cane. Whose chances do you like?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

122 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
A six word game (Dec '08) 5 min Parden Pard 17,239
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 10 min Parden Pard 39,915
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 11 min Subduction Zone 112,915
Name something women do better then men .... 12 min Enzo49 37
Add a Word, Ruin a Movie (Oct '13) 13 min Parden Pard 2,973
How Did You Find TOPIX? (Mar '13) 31 min Enzo49 56
First contacts on offbeat (May '12) 33 min Mister_ E 757
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Mister_ E 141,384
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 1 hr Mister_ E 15,087