Gardening Tips \*/ /\ ~|~ @$@

Gardening Tips \*/ /\ ~|~ @$@

Posted in the Weird Forum

“"*" Always Thinking "*"”

Level 8

Since: Nov 12

Hoosierville

#1 May 6, 2013
Moth balls seem to be working to keep the rabbits from eating the cabbage.
I'll be trying them later as an effective deterrent to keep the coons & deer from eating the corn.
Do you have the potatoes, beets, cumcumbers & zucchini hilled?
It's never too early to dust the potatoes and beans for bugs!..
dust or spray your roses also.
Remember to plant a few marigolds through out the garden to help keep the 'bugs' away.
Marigolds are a wonder-drug of the companion plant world, invoking the saying "plant them everywhere in your garden". French marigolds produce a pesticidal chemical from their roots, so strong it lasts years after they are gone. Mexican marigolds do the same, but are so strong they will inhibit the growth of some more tender herbs. Certain Varieties of marigolds (Tagetes) can help manage eelworms (Root-knot nematode) when planted the year before [1].
Tagetes has also been found effective against perennial weeds such as Ranunculus ficaria (Celandine), Aegopodium podagraria (Ground elder), Glechoma hederacea (Ground ivy), Agropyron repens (Couch grass), Convolvulus arvensis (Field bindweed), Equisetum arvense (Field/Common Horsetail) and other 'starchy' weeds.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#2 May 6, 2013

“If you're happy & you know it”

Level 7

Since: Feb 13

clap your hands!

#3 May 6, 2013
Planting onions on the edge of your garden will help keep critters such as deer & rabbits at bay.

I have loads of ground ivy in my yard. It doesn't really bother me so much but it's a pain to constantly tear up. I had no idea certain marigolds helped curb the problem when it invades my flower beds. I hate marigolds but know of their anti-pest qualities. Looks like I'm gonna have to get some to help with the ground ivy.

Thanks for the info!

Level 5

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#4 May 6, 2013
Beer traps for slugs.
Fill a plastic cup with beer and sink it in the soil so the top of te cup is just proud of the level of the soil. Collect and dispose of drunk slugs daily!
Level 5

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#5 May 6, 2013
put your banana peels in with your rose bushes and they will love you. coffee grounds and egg shells are good mixed in with potting soil of all flowering plants.

“If you're happy & you know it”

Level 7

Since: Feb 13

clap your hands!

#6 May 6, 2013
Nursingmommys5 wrote:
put your banana peels in with your rose bushes and they will love you. coffee grounds and egg shells are good mixed in with potting soil of all flowering plants.
Not to mention that coffee grounds are good for plants that love acidic soil as coffee grounds are acidic. Plus worms love coffee grounds and they aerate your soil so it's a win win situation.

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

South Bend, IN

#7 May 6, 2013
I've learned to pull up the flowers and leave the weeds to do their thing. They're gonna win in the end anyhow. No sense wasting the energy fighting the inevitable.

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

#8 May 6, 2013
Old tires work great for planting potatoes, start with two filled with dirt, plant the potatoes and as they grow pull the bottom leaves and place another tire around them filled with dirt and so on til the end of the season, you'll have a bunch of tires filled with taters, works great, enjoy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 6 min LOST IN MISSISSIPPI 56,924
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 25 min DanFromSmithville 199,556
tell me one word to describe yourself (Jun '09) 30 min Poppyann 15,879
2words into 2new words (May '12) 31 min Poppyann 2,354
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 34 min Tinka 145,507
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 44 min Sublime1 193,005
One Word (Jan '09) 51 min Mega Monster 16,346
human sexuality topic ? 2 hr Dman 9
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 5 hr Crystal_Clear722 7,407
More from around the web