"Withdrawal" Nearly as Good as Condom...

"Withdrawal" Nearly as Good as Condoms: Study

There are 275 comments on the snafu-ed.blogspot.com story from May 28, 2009, titled "Withdrawal" Nearly as Good as Condoms: Study. In it, snafu-ed.blogspot.com reports that:

In terms of pregnancy, at least, a new study, published in the June edition of the journal Contraception, indicates that the old "withdrawal" method, pulling out just before ejaculation, works nearly as well as a condom.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at snafu-ed.blogspot.com.

Since: Feb 08

Ballston Spa, NY

#41 May 28, 2009
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Could be like the blonde on the pill. She got pregnant and didn't know why, other than maybe it was because the pills kept falling out. She couldn't understand how to make such a little pill stay up in there.
Oh and by the way I was never a blonde nor was I ever confused on where to put it!

Ballston Spa, NY

#42 May 28, 2009
Wyoming Man wrote:
Lol. "Nearly" as good as a condom. Have fun raising "Nearly", and his little sister "Almost", followed by the triplets "You Swore", "Where Did You Read That Again?!?", and "Damnit, So CLOSE".
Absolutely wonderful!!

“Always ready to.....”

Level 1

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#43 May 28, 2009
I recall a news story about planned parenthood trying to get African women on birth control. Was a few years back. They passed out the pills to the girls and women and went back like 6 months later, to check the progress. Over 50% were pregnant. They were wearing the pills as a necklace around their necks. How the pill worked musta been Lost in translation I guess.

Level 1

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#44 May 28, 2009
skipper wrote:
<quoted text>
its been 11 years
Better give it a couple more days.
skipper

Augusta, GA

#45 May 28, 2009
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>Better give it a couple more days.
just to be on the SAFE side...eh
let me reiterate

Balwyn, Australia

#46 May 29, 2009
I have a theory that if you have not been pregnant before, it is more difficult to get pregnant. After the first pregnancy your body becomes primed for pregnancy.

In my case, withdrawal worked for about a year then he didn't withdraw and I immediately got pregnant. After having my first child, returned to withdrawal only to get pregnant immediately.
Cherry Pot

United States

#47 May 29, 2009
How do you pull out? And why did you pull in to begin with? Doesn't your car have reverse? I would be afraid having a car with no reverse!
Amit

Oman

#48 May 29, 2009
Agreed!! Condoms have worked for us 11 years of marriage and a year before that.
shhh wrote:
Ha-Ha!! I have two girls as a result of the pull-out method. Nothing works as well as a condom or other forms of birh control.

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#49 May 29, 2009
Gamma ma wrote:
<quoted text>Oh and by the way I was never a blonde nor was I ever confused on where to put it!
Obviously, I wasn't talking about you.

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#50 May 29, 2009
Gamma ma wrote:
<quoted text>No actually sweetie I have an overly high fertility rating! please be nice to your elders!
I was actually starting a new sub-thread. I wasn't referring to your situation at all. When I said, "Could be," I meant "Could have been worse like..."

“Where is Cookeville?”

Level 2

Since: Dec 07

Cookeville

#52 May 29, 2009
let me reiterate wrote:
I have a theory that if you have not been pregnant before, it is more difficult to get pregnant. After the first pregnancy your body becomes primed for pregnancy.
In my case, withdrawal worked for about a year then he didn't withdraw and I immediately got pregnant. After having my first child, returned to withdrawal only to get pregnant immediately.
I think that's actually fact, not theory. Statistically speaking, up until faily recently, pregnancy often resulted in death of both child and mother if complications of almost any kind arose. This is why thinking pragmatic people "preach" that women should not attempt to bear children until their bodies are capable of handling such stresses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maternal_death
It ain't "...
Professor Chaos

United States

#53 May 29, 2009
Topazia wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny you should mention that....
A friend of my mother's told us girls that a popular form of birth control in the 40s/50s was for a woman to shake up any carbonated beverage and squirt it up her....well, you get the picture.
(seriously) Think it had to be Coke...something to do with one of the acids......(not seriously) wonder if they followed up with oral? I would be like......baby, you want me to what? well I think that was a pretty big load, let me go down to the 7-11 and get you a 2 liter....... ;-)
Level 2

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#54 May 29, 2009
....and then there's always the, "Sorry baby, I meant to pull out but you just felt too good."

I have trust issues.
Captain 27648

Auburn, WA

#55 May 29, 2009
But Withdrawal isn't as much fun now is it?
At least not from the male's perspective.

“Rudeness is the weak man's”

Level 1

Since: Nov 08

imitation of strength.

#56 May 29, 2009
I don't recommend it but it's what we used for years because I am sensitive to latex and he didn't like using condoms anyway. My husband has good control so it wasn't a problem however, not all men can do it successfully.

If you are married and it's not a big deal if you have another child I'd say give it a try. People who have multiple partners and definitely don't want children shouldn't try it.

“Rudeness is the weak man's”

Level 1

Since: Nov 08

imitation of strength.

#57 May 29, 2009
Captain 27648 wrote:
But Withdrawal isn't as much fun now is it?
At least not from the male's perspective.
It's not as much fun for the woman either but it beats having an unwanted pregnancy.
Possibly_Maybe

Warrnambool, Australia

#58 May 29, 2009
Actually based on my relationship this articles probably right.
xD
I've been having sex with the same guy for over a year now and we've only used a condom once or twice because they keep breaking.
The rest of the time we use the withdrawal method and I'm still not pregnant.
Judging on statistics (lets say I've only had sex 100 times)
I should've gotton pregnant.... 83 times?
Haha x3
I don't think the statistics are right, but I definatly think a condoms safer.
My boyfriend just won't listen though, rekons it decreases his pleasure :/

Coeymans, NY

#59 May 29, 2009
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously, I wasn't talking about you.
Please excuse my demeanor of last eveing. I had one hell of a day chasing behind all those grandchildren. Who are part of the Oops I forgot to pull out scenario.....:)

Coeymans, NY

#60 May 29, 2009
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
I was actually starting a new sub-thread. I wasn't referring to your situation at all. When I said, "Could be," I meant "Could have been worse like..."
Well that's my bad for being so moody last night......Apologies :)
Swinging Sirloin

Vancouver, WA

#61 May 29, 2009
The safest sex I have found is when I [email protected] myself

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 42 min RACY_MEAN_DISAGREE 76,011
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 52 min Lemmy is God II 47,018
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 2 hr Bar Fly_ok 22,873
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 3 hr its me daisy 8,896
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 hr wichita-rick 218,679
News Disneyland devotee visits park for 2,000 days i... 4 hr Latter Day Taints 1
News Conservative summer reading list at Alabama hig... 4 hr Latter Day Taints 3
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 9 hr quilterqueen 4,280
More from around the web