Llamas Raise a Stink in SoCal City

Llamas Raise a Stink in SoCal City

There are 11 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Feb 5, 2014, titled Llamas Raise a Stink in SoCal City. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

A couple's environmentally-friendly fertilizer is causing a stink in La Habra Heights, as owners battle with residents and city officials bothered by the stench who demand the Southern California operation be shut down.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

Xstain Fatwa

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Feb 5, 2014
Buddhist clergy must use the bathroom just like everyone else, period.
Parden Pard

Whitehall, PA

#2 Feb 5, 2014
JESSHHH,,don blame the Llamas,,it's them frigim goats,,,,,(llamas are clean,,they use their own spot,,by the fence,,hello,,,!)
Spin City

North Hollywood, CA

#3 Feb 6, 2014
The City is just using the llama story to cover and distract attention from financial mismanagement and illegal activity.
Just like in Bell, the City is criticizing citizens for uncovering wrongdoing.
Read the documents and decide for yourself.

Here are some admissions by the City of La Habra Heights and City & Court documents:

At the December 2013 City Council meeting the City Manager revealed:
*Multiple CalPERS Investigations of City

*Gas Tax Audit

"All kinds of things need to be straightened out in Finance Dept"

See November 2013 District Attorney Division of Fraud & Corruption letters to City of La Habra Height.Nov 2013 Warning on Brown Act Violations:

http://www.lahabraheights.net/Pics/LettertoLa...

- Nov 2013 Warning on Back room Deals:
http://www.lahabraheights.net/Pics/LettertoLa...

In October 2013, After Denying Missing Checks and Off-Warrant Spending 
City of La Habra Heights Admits 100's of Checks Were Not Accounted for in Monthly Reports. Citizens discover city bank statements show checks city claimed as "Voided" were actually cashed. City refuses to release canceled checks which would reveal who was paid.- 
See City Admission:
http://www.lhhcity.org/index.php...

Investigating Los Angeles County Cities' Finances, LA County Grand Jury unable to get 2012 Financial reports from Bell, Compton, Avalon, Cudahy, La Habra Heights, and Maywood.
The Grand Jury finds LHH has no ethics policy, nor means for anonymous complaints.
In fact, city "outs" complaints upon request..
LA County Grand Jury ranks LHH #42 in County in following best practices, making
 many critical recommendations for Fiscal Health and Governance Practices - see it here
:
http://www.lahabraheights.net/news/GrandJuryM...

In May 2013, Los Angles County Superior Court ruling found City of La Habra Heights unable to follow own codes - Read
http://www.lahabraheights.net/Pics/MorganShah...

In a May 2013 report, City of La Habra Heights admits "inept practices" and "poor reporting" in Finance Dept and paying Independent Contractors out of Payroll account - Read

http://www.lhhcity.org/index.php...

See September 2012 DA Letter to City of La Habra Heights regarding Brown Act violation and warning City with Grand Jury Investigation if similar offense occurs in the future.
http://www.lahabraheights.net/News/DA_2012_Br...
Heights Resident

Valley Village, CA

#4 Feb 7, 2014
District Attorney Letter Clearing La Habra Heights of allegations
http://www.lhhcity.org/images/stories/DA%20Cl...

Court Notice of 2nd consecutive ruling against Edwards in his lawsuit
http://www.lhhcity.org/images/stories/Edwards...

Whittier Daily News story confirming losses and disputing his ridiculous claims. Such as, that the suit is a criminal suit and the city has a criminal defense lawyer.
http://www.whittierdailynews.com/government-a...

Whittier Daily News story about the how much Edwards is costing the city for a lawsuit that has so far proved nothing and has been ruled against at every opportunity.
http://www.whittierdailynews.com/government-a...

LA Times story that clearly shows how Edwards, the loughs, and Blagden too are costing all of us a lot of money.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-me-adv-la-ha...

I heard the loughs are the ones that called the los angeles times.
seems right, they got shut down awhile ago so I don't think the city would call.

another thing, I saw in the paper not to long ago that the loughs house was up for auction. They may not even be residents anymore. Someone should check that out. I think they live in Oregon.

I live by them and there's something weird going on there. I'm not close enough to smell it but it's a dump
Spin City

North Hollywood, CA

#5 Feb 7, 2014
The DA only cleared the city of limited criminal allegations related to missing checks.

The City is still guilty of the other DA findings of Open Meeting Law violations, Brown Act violations, making decisions out of public view (back room deals), and the promise of a Grand Jury investigation.

The court ruling was based on contradictory apparent misrepresentations by the city. The city claimed imminent hazard to staff from asbestos in ceiling tiles and walls and they had to proceed.
Afterwards, the city said there was no asbestos there.
The city then claimed the asbestos was all gone, when the most extensive actual asbestos remained in the roof.

It looks like the City was able to divert the LA Times from the real story of Bell-like financial shenanigans to a story of llama poop, which would get more readers, even thought he llamas and goats have been gone since 2011.
Paris Hilton

Huntington, NY

#6 Feb 7, 2014
I once saw a Llamas mama in a pajama!!!
Heights Resident

Valley Village, CA

#7 Feb 7, 2014
Spin City wrote:
The DA only cleared the city of limited criminal allegations related to missing checks.
The City is still guilty of the other DA findings of Open Meeting Law violations, Brown Act violations, making decisions out of public view (back room deals), and the promise of a Grand Jury investigation.
The court ruling was based on contradictory apparent misrepresentations by the city. The city claimed imminent hazard to staff from asbestos in ceiling tiles and walls and they had to proceed.
Afterwards, the city said there was no asbestos there.
The city then claimed the asbestos was all gone, when the most extensive actual asbestos remained in the roof.
It looks like the City was able to divert the LA Times from the real story of Bell-like financial shenanigans to a story of llama poop, which would get more readers, even thought he llamas and goats have been gone since 2011.
spin city you seem to be describing that the city found asbestos removed it then found some more and removed it. end of story. the rest is your speculation.

I'm assuming you're with those guys talking about the judges ruling against the city so accept this court decision. Don't be a hypocrite.

you didn't answer whether the loughs asked the times to write a story. I think they did. with the loughs involved it would be impossible for the reporter not to look into their allegations. Besides the story to me was about the waste of money from the huge public records requests. Another thing you didn't address.

Why do you talk about Bell like financials. Where's the proof, what EXACTLY are you talking about. Sounds good to say but since Bell you know that would be investigated and found out.

I watched the planning meeting where they said the brown act violations happened. It was just the commissioner asking the woman to provide evidence for the allegations she was making. Doesn't seem like much. Actually a good idea because she didn't have any.

I don't think you really know what you're talking about
Spin City

North Hollywood, CA

#8 Feb 9, 2014
Heights Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
you didn't answer whether the loughs asked the times to write a story. I think they did. with the loughs involved it would be impossible for the reporter not to look into their allegations. Besides the story to me was about the waste of money from the huge public records requests. Another thing you didn't address.
Why do you talk about Bell like financials. Where's the proof, what EXACTLY are you talking about. Sounds good to say but since Bell you know that would be investigated and found out.
I watched the planning meeting where they said the brown act violations happened. It was just the commissioner asking the woman to provide evidence for the allegations she was making. Doesn't seem like much. Actually a good idea because she didn't have any.
I don't think you really know what you're talking about
I don't think the Times works for the Loughs.
The story made it seem the llamas were recent, when they've been gone for several years.
The public records requests are greatly exaggerated by the city. The "cost" figure the city used includes over $100,000 for a new records system they have wanted to get for years.
The inflated costs the city uses for filling records requests includes city overhead, which is illegal to charge for by the California Public Records Act.
The city locked down release of records after a released record showed the then mayor was processing an off-the-record remodel and expansion for his home.
Which is more plausible - the city does not want to release records which show financial mismanagement, favoritism in city contracts, and diversion of tax dollars, or that the city is overwhelmed by requests which used to be routinely handled on the spot by past staff members?
Regarding city finances - The city said all was well until an independent citizen audit was released that claimed embezzlement, check forgery and multiple bank accounts.
After that, the city issued its own report in May 2013 (link in my first post), which admitted inept practices and poor reporting in the finance department, and paying vendors out of the payroll account. Paying vendors out of a payroll account is notorious for corruption and hiding payments.
The city then denied charges of missing checks and off warrant spending, until it finally admitted to hundreds of "voided" or unused checks, and making payments not listed on the monthly warrant reports in an October 2013 report (also linked above). Off warrants payments are also notorious in cases of corruption.
Bank statements released earlier by the city showed that checks they had listed as "void" or unused had in fact been cleared the bank as cashed.
When records requests were made to see the canceled checks, to see who was paid with them, the city refused to release the records.
Don't you think the city should release copies of canceled checks that they claimed were voided or never used, but were cashed? Aren't you curious who was paid? Should the city be allowed to be making off the books payments without accountability?
The DA cleared the city of limited criminal allegations, but the city will not release the records provided to the DA and communications with the DA.
In November 2013, the City Manager told the City Council that "All kinds of things need to be straightened out in Finance Dept".
Really? The city manager is also the finance director. Her specialty is finance, and she teaches courses in municipal finance.
After being city manager since 2007, how can there still be so many things wrong in the finance department? There are only 2 or 3 people in the finance dept, and some households in the city have a larger budget than the city itself.
The City Manager also revealed there was an ongoing Gas Tax audit and multiple CalPERS investigations of the city.
Heights Resident

Valley Village, CA

#9 Feb 9, 2014
Spin City
I'm positive the Times doesn't work for La Habra Heights and neither does the DA.
The Times reported and the DA investigated. Two organizations that have a lot of resources
to do their job. It sounds like you just don't like their conclusions.
You don't explain what would lead a DA office to lie and deny the criminal acts your talking about. The story said the city cooperated completely. what more do you want.
The city fired an employee who didn't follow procedure. Why don't you consider it be as simple as that. You attribute a lot of actions to people that you couldn't possible know. It's your conclusion without any evidence.
What's more plausible, that all staff over the years and all councils over the years are uniformly committing fraud and criminal acts no matter who joins the staff or the council or is it
more plausible that you and people like you see all things through a suspicious filter. I don't know if you know how paranoid and conspiratorial you sound.
All the check related things you mention the loughs mentioned as well. So you have to assume the DA was aware and investigated. It was not limited, I'm sure the loughs mentioned everything they were concerned about.
You don't mention the court items so I'll assume you realize the hypocrisy in trumpeting one ruling and dismissing another. Anybody can do that.
Even if the public records costs were 100 thousand less, which I don't know to be true, thats still 320 thousand dollars. Don't you see how ridiculous that is? And costs are costs, staff time etc is costs, maybe some requests used to be quick but I think those same people would freak out if someone else got their records requests before them just because it was easier to fulfill.
You seem to insist on perfection , or pointing out mistakes , which probably are happening but that not the same as corruption, criminal acts, etc..
Regarding the audits. There are audits where I work and I'm assuming where you work if you do work. There's nothing inherently bad about that. Except in your eyes. I don't know about the Calpers but I would be money it wasn't them initiating an investigation but more likely having to respond to the several calls for investigation by the gadflies. Anonymously of course.
If you watch the city council meetings recently you would hear the mrs. lough admit she was the one calling the DA. If you saw the earlier meetings she was referring to the DA investigation as if she had nothing to do with it. Thats telling to me. Cast doubt and Innuendo.
The llama story, even if they're gone it shows how they want it both ways. They want no codes changed ( watch some meetings) but they refuse to follow codes regarding themselves. Cmon now what was the city supposed to do , look the other way. they responded to my neighbors complaint. Even if the facts are dated regarding the llamas they are facts and show double standard in loughs mind.
You're letting them off the hook , kind of like the favoritism you accuse the city of.
You obviously don't like the city manager but really any city manager would not be good enough for you it seems.
To sum up
Times investigation - backfired
DA investigation - no evidence at all to support allegations
Lawsuit Decisions- 0-2
Independent citizen audit - who knows what the hell that was but according to you many criminal acts were uncovered yet no one in authority has done anything.- Unsubstantiated
Last ten years or so of attacking city and making countless allegations - No one in authority has determined any criminal acts.- Sour Grapes
Fear Mongering and Rumor Spreading is all it is.
Thats enough time responding for me on this but I will consider some LOGICAL UNBIASED comments from you.
Amused Observer

Valley Village, CA

#10 Apr 15, 2014
A little humor at the expense of the gadflies. All in good fun.

http://satirizinglahabraheights.tumblr.com/
More Amused

North Hollywood, CA

#11 Apr 17, 2014
Amused Observer wrote:
A little humor at the expense of the gadflies. All in good fun.
http://satirizinglahabraheights.tumblr.com/
Funnier humor of the powers that be who run the city.

boycottlhhia.blogspot.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2words into 2new words (May '12) 2 min Sharlene45 3,793
Word Association (Mar '10) 12 min wichita-rick 21,091
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 14 min Crystal_Clear722 8,822
Make up your wildest Headline. (Aug '08) 16 min Sparky 615
A **very** offbeat look at religion........... (Jan '11) 23 min greymouser 35
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 24 min Sharlene45 197,367
News 3 charged for allegedly blowing up turtle 28 min Spotted Girl 7
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 1 hr Skye Towns 19,754
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr Pernicious Snit 59,727
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 3 hr LaBeth 20,015