Trooper fatally shoots 7-foot python

Trooper fatally shoots 7-foot python

There are 117 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Aug 20, 2008, titled Trooper fatally shoots 7-foot python. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Motorist Brian Ahlin called 911 Monday after seeing the snake in the middle of the road, just a few feet from a park.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Pat

United States

#1 Aug 20, 2008
A 7 foot python isn't actually dangerous to anyone who doesn't pick it up and wrap it around their neck. The right move would have been calling animal control rather than running it over. Way to go, guys. Killing a scared and confused animal because you're too ignorant to see that it can't really hurt you... Yeah, you're real men now.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#2 Aug 20, 2008
Pythons can deliver a nasty ass bite though...especially big, angry and hungry ones.
mike

Dundalk, MD

#4 Aug 20, 2008
this is really an ignorant piece all around. it slitherd......by a park....kept attacking, even after the jackass ran it over repeatedly...i will like to assume the cop put the reptile out of its misery....what a picture they have painted...christ

“cougar w/sharp claws”

Level 4

Since: Mar 08

The kitten, NOT ME!!!!

#5 Aug 20, 2008
mike wrote:
this is really an ignorant piece all around. it slitherd......by a park....kept attacking, even after the jackass ran it over repeatedly...i will like to assume the cop put the reptile out of its misery....what a picture they have painted...christ
ditto
skipper

Augusta, GA

#6 Aug 20, 2008
this wasn;t very fair,
the python was unarmed

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#7 Aug 20, 2008
skipper wrote:
this wasn;t very fair,
the python was unarmed
He didn't have a leg to stand on....

opistoglyph

Germantown, NY

#8 Aug 20, 2008
milwaukee69 wrote:
Pythons can deliver a nasty ass bite though...especially big, angry and hungry ones.
On what cartoon? At 7' the bite is a series of pinpricks that disappear in a day or two.Unlike cartoons, pythons are not venomous.

“you're not the boss of me!”

Since: Jan 08

the road less traveled.....

#9 Aug 20, 2008
A lot of men are *afraid* of snakes. Bet the trooper wouldn't put that in his report, but it does seem a quick reaction to a slow-moving situation.

Location hidden

#10 Aug 20, 2008
opistoglyph wrote:
<quoted text>On what cartoon? At 7' the bite is a series of pinpricks that disappear in a day or two.Unlike cartoons, pythons are not venomous.
Doesn't matter...the only good snake is a dead snake.

Level 1

Since: May 08

Lawrenceville, GA

#11 Aug 20, 2008
Marilyn -MW wrote:
<quoted text>Doesn't matter...the only good snake is a dead snake.
i have to agree with you on that one. snakes and parks/cities just don't mix well. Snakes in a barn on a farm keeping the rodent population down is alright...but stay out of my sight. LOL
Susan

Carmiel, Israel

#13 Aug 20, 2008
This is obviously a non-native species. We don't have native snakes that big in the US. What if it bred more smakes like that? It would have been better to catch it and humanely euthanize it, but good luck. I wouldn't go near a snake that size.
Susan

Carmiel, Israel

#14 Aug 20, 2008
People get exotic pets and then when they get too big sometimes let them go in the wild. Bad idea. Animals released in a foreign country can do a lot of damage. Remember those cute little red eared turtles they used to sell in pet stores? In the eastern US they are fine, but here in Israel they are a dangerous non-native species. Sometimes people don't want them when they get big, so they let them go into the rivers. They are very aggressive and can crowd out unique native turtles.
festivarian

Miami, FL

#16 Aug 21, 2008
was the pickup a ford or a chevy?

Since: May 08

Edmonton, Canada

#17 Aug 21, 2008
I think snakes and all reptiles are cool and at least serve a purpose. I get rattlesnake venom for voodoo, and black widow venom. Works great.
Use to go taunt the rattlers at a friends house to get them pissed off, easier to squeeze the venom out.
They should have shot the guy, what did the snake do to him. It did not even pose a threat. panicky moron, acting like an old woman in hysterics.

“It's all about attitutde”

Level 1

Since: Mar 08

Newnan, GA

#18 Aug 21, 2008
Harley-Honey wrote:
I think snakes and all reptiles are cool and at least serve a purpose. I get rattlesnake venom for voodoo, and black widow venom. Works great.
For what? Sunscreen Lotion???? BAWAHAHAHAHA
Hardley Harley, the VOODOO mama
BAWAHAHAHAAHAA
Im sooooooooooooo skeered, please dont hex me
ROFLMFAOOOOOO
Orochimaru

Rocky Hill, CT

#19 Aug 21, 2008
That was cruel, really cruel. The poor animal. I happen to like snakes and that was a non venomous one that wouldn't do any harm. Shame on them both!
Surf52

Baltimore, MD

#20 Aug 21, 2008
This guy wasn't on loan from Prince Georges County by any chance?

Oh wait. They just shoot Labrador Retreivers.
Surry with a fringe

Atlanta, GA

#21 Aug 21, 2008
If only the Python hadn't drawn his weapon...............

“We Have Lost Our Minds”

Since: Jul 08

Kent, Ohio

#22 Aug 21, 2008
Pat wrote:
A 7 foot python isn't actually dangerous to anyone who doesn't pick it up and wrap it around their neck. The right move would have been calling animal control rather than running it over. Way to go, guys. Killing a scared and confused animal because you're too ignorant to see that it can't really hurt you... Yeah, you're real men now.
Snakes that large can be very dangerous to animals and small children. You can't actually make a pet out of snakes. Put one in the floor and call him and see if he responds. They should be outlawed except in zoos. The cop did the right thing.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#23 Aug 21, 2008
opistoglyph wrote:
<quoted text>On what cartoon? At 7' the bite is a series of pinpricks that disappear in a day or two.Unlike cartoons, pythons are not venomous.
"pin pricks" and "days" two very understated statements.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min Dogen 209,834
News Priests and nuns hold bizarre ceremony to 'puri... 4 min Left of centre 41
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 8 min 8541 MARINE 61,541
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 39 min Mustang GT Girl 36,253
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 42 min Princess Hey 200,972
A six word game (Dec '08) 46 min Mustang GT Girl 20,164
2words into 2new words (May '12) 48 min Sharlene45 5,117
Philly grey poster hangout 58 min Lucy the First 62
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 3 hr Poppyann 9,114
More from around the web