Charges: Pa. man bagged in deer Wal-Mart lot

Mar 28, 2013 Full story: 6 ABC 24

They say you can get almost anything at Wal-Mart. But the Pennsylvania Game Commission says one deer hunter took it too far.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#1 Mar 28, 2013
damn . across a road . should know better

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#3 Mar 28, 2013
From the Wisconsin DNR site:

"All firearms (excluding handguns) must be unloaded when in any vehicle, whether moving or stationary, and must be unloaded when in or on any moving vehicle. Note: A loaded firearm may be placed on, but not in, a vehicle which is stationary. All firearms, bows, and crossbows must be unloaded when in or on any motor driven boat while the motor is running."

It is illegal to:

1. Hunt within 50 feet of the roadway’s center; or
2. Discharge a firearm, shoot an arrow from a bow, or a bolt from a crossbow:
a. from or across a highway, or
b. within 50 feet of the roadway’s center.
The above prohibition applies to all public roads (defined above). Certain exceptions are allowed for Class A and B Disabled Permit holders, and for others hunting small game from dirt or gravel roads with shotguns loaded with fine shot.

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Level 9

Since: Aug 07

Orion's Belt

#4 Mar 28, 2013
I think the simple act of breathing is proving more and more interesting by the day. I do believe I've not seen it all ...as of yet.
No matter how much I want to convince myself I have.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

#5 Mar 28, 2013
This is the law for the National Forests, our local PD and sheriff use the criteria to site people.

"It is illegal to shoot from a road, across a road, across a body of water, within 150 yards of a campground or other structure or occupied area, or if endangering any person or property."

Interesting that. I can't find any local laws passed, I wonder if it would be beatable in court if you weren't on Federal lands?

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#6 Mar 28, 2013
GenOmazing wrote:
<quoted text>Don't quote me, but, I "think" you are allowed to shoot across a road as long as your embankment and the embankment you're shooting to is x number of feet above the street and of course this applies to rual roads anyway, BUT, you certanly can't shoot into a parking lot LMAO.
can not speak for all states , but assumption gun safety .... would be the same in all states ..don't know

you can be right.... don't think the Orioles will win all those one run games again this year ??

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#7 Mar 28, 2013
Always Wary wrote:
This is the law for the National Forests, our local PD and sheriff use the criteria to site people.
"It is illegal to shoot from a road, across a road, across a body of water, within 150 yards of a campground or other structure or occupied area, or if endangering any person or property."
Interesting that. I can't find any local laws passed, I wonder if it would be beatable in court if you weren't on Federal lands?
that may fall under the DOA ... could be local/state staggered ....

oh yes here:
Hunting - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
Hunting is among the most popular forms of wildlife recreation in New York State. Nearly 700,000 New Yorkers and over 50,000 nonresidents hunt in the Empire State.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#9 Mar 28, 2013
Always Wary wrote:
It is legal now to carry a gun in a National Park (re: federal land):

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/guns-national-pa...

Although hunting is generally not allowed in most National Parks - they do have open hunting seasons in larger parks such as Yellowstone, but they are the exception, not the rule.

TITLE 36–PARKS, FORESTS, AND PUBLIC PROPERTY CHAPTER I–NATIONAL PARK SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR PART 2–RESOURCE PROTECTION, PUBLIC USE AND RECREATION–Table of Contents Sec. 2.2 Wildlife protection.(a) The following are prohibited:(1) The taking of wildlife, except by authorized hunting and trapping activities conducted in accordance with paragraph (b) of this section.(2) The feeding, touching, teasing, frightening or intentional disturbing of wildlife nesting, breeding or other activities.(3) Possessing unlawfully taken wildlife or portions thereof.(b) Hunting and trapping.(1) Hunting shall be allowed in park areas where such activity is specifically mandated by Federal statutory law.(2) Hunting may be allowed in park areas where such activity is specifically authorized as a discretionary activity under Federal statutory law if the superintendent determines that such activity is consistent with public safety and enjoyment, and sound resource management principles. Such hunting shall be allowed pursuant to special regulations.(3) Trapping shall be allowed in park areas where such activity is specifically mandated by Federal statutory law.(4) Where hunting or trapping or both are authorized, such activities shall be conducted in accordance with Federal law and the laws of the State within whose exterior boundaries a park area or a portion thereof is located. Nonconflicting State laws are adopted as a part of these regulations.(c) Except in emergencies or in areas under the exclusive jurisdiction of the United States, the superintendent shall consult with appropriate State agencies before invoking the authority of Sec. 1.5 for the purpose of restricting hunting and trapping or closing park areas to the taking of wildlife where such activities are mandated or authorized by Federal statutory law.(d) The superintendent may establish conditions and procedures for transporting lawfully taken wildlife through the park area. Violation of these conditions and procedures is prohibited.(e) The Superintendent may designate all or portions of a park area as closed to the viewing of wildlife with an artificial light. Use of an artificial light for purposes of viewing wildlife in closed areas is prohibited.(f) Authorized persons may check hunting and trapping licenses and permits; inspect weapons, traps and hunting and trapping gear for compliance with equipment restrictions; and inspect wildlife that has been taken for compliance with species, size and other taking restrictions.(g) The regulations contained in this section apply, regardless of land ownership, on all lands and waters within a park area that are under the legislative jurisdiction of the United States.[48 FR 30282, June 30, 1983, as amended at 49 FR 18450, Apr. 30, 1984; 51 FR 33264, Sept. 19, 1986; 52 FR 35240, Sept. 18, 1987]

“You think so?”

Level 8

Since: Nov 12

Greensburg, IN

#10 Mar 28, 2013
It is legal now to carry a gun in a National Park

Thanks to a new law that took effect today, it is now legal to carry =loaded= guns into our national parks.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Hotel California

#11 Mar 28, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is legal now to carry a gun in a National Park (re: federal land):
http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/guns-national-pa...
Although hunting is generally not allowed in most National Parks - they do have open hunting seasons in larger parks such as Yellowstone, but they are the exception, not the rule.
TITLE 36–PARKS, FORESTS, AND PUBLIC PROPERTY CHAPTER I–NATIONAL PARK SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR PART 2–RESOURCE PROTECTION, PUBLIC USE AND RECREATION–Table of Contents Sec. 2.2 Wildlife protection.(a) The following are prohibited:(1) The taking of wildlife, except by authorized hunting and trapping activities conducted in accordance with paragraph (b) of this section.(2) The feeding, touching, teasing, frightening or intentional disturbing of wildlife nesting, breeding or other activities.(3) Possessing unlawfully taken wildlife or portions thereof.(b) Hunting and trapping.(1) Hunting shall be allowed in park areas where such activity is specifically mandated by Federal statutory law.(2) Hunting may be allowed in park areas where such activity is specifically authorized as a discretionary activity under Federal statutory law if the superintendent determines that such activity is consistent with public safety and enjoyment, and sound resource management principles. Such hunting shall be allowed pursuant to special regulations.(3) Trapping shall be allowed in park areas where such activity is specifically mandated by Federal statutory law.(4) Where hunting or trapping or both are authorized, such activities shall be conducted in accordance with Federal law and the laws of the State within whose exterior boundaries a park area or a portion thereof is located. Nonconflicting State laws are adopted as a part of these regulations.(c) Except in emergencies or in areas under the exclusive jurisdiction of the United States, the superintendent shall consult with appropriate State agencies before invoking the authority of Sec. 1.5 for the purpose of restricting hunting and trapping or closing park areas to the taking of wildlife where such activities are mandated or authorized by Federal statutory law.(d) The superintendent may establish conditions and procedures for transporting lawfully taken wildlife through the park area. Violation of these conditions and procedures is prohibited.(e) The Superintendent may designate all or portions of a park area as closed to the viewing of wildlife with an artificial light. Use of an artificial light for purposes of viewing wildlife in closed areas is prohibited.(f) Authorized persons may check hunting and trapping licenses and permits; inspect weapons, traps and hunting and trapping gear for compliance with equipment restrictions; and inspect wildlife that has been taken for compliance with species, size and other taking restrictions.(g) The regulations contained in this section apply, regardless of land ownership, on all lands and waters within a park area that are under the legislative jurisdiction of the United States.[48 FR 30282, June 30, 1983, as amended at 49 FR 18450, Apr. 30, 1984; 51 FR 33264, Sept. 19, 1986; 52 FR 35240, Sept. 18, 1987]
http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2010/03/23/13594...

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#12 Mar 28, 2013
"You will need a concealed weapons permit to carry the loaded gun in the backpack. But you don't need any kind of permit if you just want to stash your loaded weapon in the tent."

Ok, how in the world do you get it TO the tent?

Also, I mis-quoted the original article - hunting is illegal in all national parks.

"Hunting is prohibited within Yellowstone National Park boundaries but big game, upland birds, and various waterfowl can be hunted in season on public and national forest area land near Park boundaries. Opportunities are also available on on private land (60 million acres in Montana alone) when owners grant permission."

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#13 Mar 28, 2013
Hoosier Hillbilly wrote:
It is legal now to carry a gun in a National Park
Thanks to a new law that took effect today, it is now legal to carry =loaded= guns into our national parks.
Big deal - you still can't fire them within the park.

Federal restrictions aim at a bigger picture. They do not allow guns in many federal buildings, such as park visitor centers. They also forbid hunting, target shooting or even firing a gun.
"The fact is, you still can't use a weapon in the park," said Steve Shackelton, former chief ranger of Yosemite National Park. "I don't think we'll see much of a difference with this law in Yosemite."

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2010/03/23/13594...

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#14 Mar 28, 2013
GenOmazing wrote:
<quoted text>I agree even with an excellent bullpen (which they still have) all those 1 run game wins are hard to do, last year was special BUT, I don't think we'll be in THAT many 1 run games this year. I believe the lineup with Roberts back, Machado playing a full year, McClouth a full year and Markakis back will be potent. We still have Adam Jones, Matt Weiters and Chris Davis too. I am pumped for opening day.
you old enough to remember the CHI/SOX i run game season right to the world series ...

all I have is hope ..still thinking off on about the bet..

we can find something mutual , I'm sure

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Hotel California

#15 Mar 28, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
"You will need a concealed weapons permit to carry the loaded gun in the backpack. But you don't need any kind of permit if you just want to stash your loaded weapon in the tent."
Ok, how in the world do you get it TO the tent?
Also, I mis-quoted the original article - hunting is illegal in all national parks.
"Hunting is prohibited within Yellowstone National Park boundaries but big game, upland birds, and various waterfowl can be hunted in season on public and national forest area land near Park boundaries. Opportunities are also available on on private land (60 million acres in Montana alone) when owners grant permission."
I guess you could carry an unloaded weapon to the tent, then load it?

In a way this could be funny but it speaks more to the problems of over-regulation, conflicting laws. In the rush to make everything safe our legislators look foolish IMO. Simplification is not a bad thing, it the exemptions that create the problems and red tape. Taxes are the same way, felony convictions too. I think it should all be standardized, the problem with that would be the conflict between federal, state and local laws. I don't see it ending anytime soon but I do see it getting worse.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#16 Mar 28, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
From the Wisconsin DNR site:
"All firearms (excluding handguns) must be unloaded when in any vehicle, whether moving or stationary, and must be unloaded when in or on any moving vehicle. Note: A loaded firearm may be placed on, but not in, a vehicle which is stationary. All firearms, bows, and crossbows must be unloaded when in or on any motor driven boat while the motor is running."
It is illegal to:
1. Hunt within 50 feet of the roadway’s center; or
2. Discharge a firearm, shoot an arrow from a bow, or a bolt from a crossbow:
a. from or across a highway, or
b. within 50 feet of the roadway’s center.
The above prohibition applies to all public roads (defined above). Certain exceptions are allowed for Class A and B Disabled Permit holders, and for others hunting small game from dirt or gravel roads with shotguns loaded with fine shot.
Those regs mirror the ones we have in Kentucky.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

#17 Mar 28, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Those regs mirror the ones we have in Kentucky.
Do ya'll have the "chronic wasting desease" in the deer population yet?

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Dump American Eagle

#18 Mar 28, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think so yet. We do cervine incephalitis,caused by a insect during exended periods of hot weather. Its locally called "Blue tongue". Where the deer wastes away from disinterest in food/water. A couple years ago I found two does that died of it on our farm. The DNR has been very stringent in enforcing importation of venison from surrouning states that have had a history. Also NO parts of nervous systems or brain tissues are allowed. The meat needs to be boned when/if possible. We are very careful about this. We now have a healthy deer population,numbers wise. We also have the largest Elk herd east of the Mississippi and wouldn't want them in danger either.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Dump American Eagle

#19 Mar 28, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
Blue tongue is a brain inflamation disease that kills in a matter of days as opposed to weeks. The best discription would be like malaria for deer.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#21 Mar 28, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Blue tongue is a brain inflamation disease that kills in a matter of days as opposed to weeks. The best discription would be like malaria for deer.
is that also aka Lyme disease ....

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#22 Mar 28, 2013
GenOmazing wrote:
<quoted text>Remember, the bet was about the Ravens making the playoffs, not baseball. Since then the Ravens shed years off their D, added Elvis Dumervil, Marcus Spears, Chris Canty and Safety Michael Huff. Dude, there D on paper is far superior to last years!! I'll give you the chance to back off but I say they make the playoffs!
but of course ,,, didn't forget.... Aug is around the corner

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#23 Mar 28, 2013
oh remember L/B makes the defense
I'm amazed I did it with average ..

have a story about the original Colts you old enough to remember... Mike Curtis to be exact ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 2 min Old Sam 3,629
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 7 min Old Sam 146,995
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 8 min whatimeisit 2,410
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 9 min Michael 20,505
What ?? are you thinking about NOW? 2014 10 min Adrian DeVine 413
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 14 min Enzo49 13,325
What Could Be Mixed,...? 14 min whatimeisit 33
What's your tip for the day? 17 min Anonomuss 1,076
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 6 hr eleanorigby 36,514
•••