Simple things that make you happy, sm...
Level 6

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#3759 May 25, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry to hear that.:(
For the longest time he wasn't interested in it, but now he is. I don't believe in forcing my kids into doing sports ... I was as a child and I hated it. I do make them get off the computer x-box or what have you and go outside, tho, but I let them choose.
As of late they've all been getting more interested in sports (we had them in basketball, baseball a few years ago, but they didn't try, screwed around in practice, and got mad at me when I would tell them their coach said they need to practice and ask them to come play catch with me or practice ... so we stopped doing that).
I was the same way, tho. Other than soccer, I didn't really get into sports until about their age and into junior high. I hated little league, but was forced to play. So I've always thought, just let them be boys, enjoy their youth, and when they wanna actually put the effort in and do sports, there will be plenty of time for that.
My 10 year old wants to do football, but I told him he has to wait until junior high ... they are too serious about it down here and one of the coaches from his little league team even took his son out of it. With all info that is coming out about concussions, I want him to wait a bit. I have friends who played in college and they seriously question whether they will let their sons do it just from the concussion stand point. I had my bell rung a few times, myself, in high school.
I always tell my kids if you wanna do it, let me know, otherwise, it's not a big deal to me. My kids school is a very small one, but they are extremely well known for their academic and athletic capabilities, but I just want my kids to have fun and enjoy their youth and they are not shy at all to tell me what they want and don't want. Wonder where they get that from? LOL

“Easy does it... ”

Level 5

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#3760 May 25, 2013
I Am Enzo - The Baker wrote:
Iff I ever hit the big one, I'll invite all you Offbeaters to the biggest bash...the ferret and the pizza roll included...
Better than me, friend. If I ever hit the big one, I suspect me and my family will too busy traveling and seeing the many sights that we secretly always wanted to see... but haven't yet. Don't really mean to be rude, just truthful.

But then again,maybe after we're done traveling, I'll invite you as you were so nice on your offer, and... a select few to a nice celebration. And you can bet there will be steak served. All vegetarians may as well just stay home. You can protest outside of my gated premises if you like, with your PETA signs... but if you get too out of hand, my hired servants will beat you into submission with meat popsicle's and potato projectiles.

“Maddie Mae”

Level 8

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#3761 May 25, 2013
Having a quite evening by myself!

“Easy does it... ”

Level 5

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#3762 May 25, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry to hear that.:(
For the longest time he wasn't interested in it, but now he is. I don't believe in forcing my kids into doing sports ... I was as a child and I hated it. I do make them get off the computer x-box or what have you and go outside, tho, but I let them choose.
As of late they've all been getting more interested in sports (we had them in basketball, baseball a few years ago, but they didn't try, screwed around in practice, and got mad at me when I would tell them their coach said they need to practice and ask them to come play catch with me or practice ... so we stopped doing that).
I was the same way, tho. Other than soccer, I didn't really get into sports until about their age and into junior high. I hated little league, but was forced to play. So I've always thought, just let them be boys, enjoy their youth, and when they wanna actually put the effort in and do sports, there will be plenty of time for that.
My 10 year old wants to do football, but I told him he has to wait until junior high ... they are too serious about it down here and one of the coaches from his little league team even took his son out of it. With all info that is coming out about concussions, I want him to wait a bit. I have friends who played in college and they seriously question whether they will let their sons do it just from the concussion stand point. I had my bell rung a few times, myself, in high school.
Agree with Trina, sub..... you really do sound like a great papa. Good idea on withholding football a tad, I'm living proof on the possibility of brain damage and concerning that sport, as per the wife's statements :). A shame on baseball as it's an awesome sport.. I actually got viewed by a couple of pro scouts in my youth. Yea.. they seen that a good curve ball was my weakness, right off. Switch hitting MAY have changed things on that, but who knows. I sort of wished for a son of my own at one time, to teach him the err of those non switch-hitting ways... but, we had a daughter. That in all sincerity today, I wouldn't trade the world for. And that's the truth.

I suppose our job as parents is to give our kids as happy and a loving a childhood as possible, and to teach them the meaning of responsibility, and to simply respect others... unless those "others" may perhaps prove undeserving of it somehow.

Raising three little ones, including one with special needs... should deserve respect from anyone, especially with how you've seemingly gone about it thus far. It's been a challenge enough for us raising one little one... so I really couldn't even imagine three varmints running around.

Even harder to imagine five kids, as my Grandmother on my maternal side had. In the olden days, some had even more...8,9? Now, that's really hard to fathom in today's economy.

“Open the door to your heart”

Level 6

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#3763 May 26, 2013
stacked and proud wrote:
the Eurovision son contest.......
LOL,i peed myself laughing how bad that has become,sorry S&P its utter rubbish.
Level 8

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#3764 May 26, 2013
revilot2 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL,i peed myself laughing how bad that has become,sorry S&P its utter rubbish.
Did you laugh so hard tears rolled down your leg?

Hasn't it always been a tad cheesy. Like take a good song idea and make sure it's as inoffensive and samey sounding (and so as ruined) as possible, then get on the night nerves to top it off.

It is good for a smile.(More than one smile if you count the political undertones of the voting)

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#3765 May 26, 2013
Will Munny wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree with Trina, sub..... you really do sound like a great papa. Good idea on withholding football a tad, I'm living proof on the possibility of brain damage and concerning that sport, as per the wife's statements :). A shame on baseball as it's an awesome sport.. I actually got viewed by a couple of pro scouts in my youth. Yea.. they seen that a good curve ball was my weakness, right off. Switch hitting MAY have changed things on that, but who knows. I sort of wished for a son of my own at one time, to teach him the err of those non switch-hitting ways... but, we had a daughter. That in all sincerity today, I wouldn't trade the world for. And that's the truth.
I suppose our job as parents is to give our kids as happy and a loving a childhood as possible, and to teach them the meaning of responsibility, and to simply respect others... unless those "others" may perhaps prove undeserving of it somehow.
Raising three little ones, including one with special needs... should deserve respect from anyone, especially with how you've seemingly gone about it thus far. It's been a challenge enough for us raising one little one... so I really couldn't even imagine three varmints running around.
Even harder to imagine five kids, as my Grandmother on my maternal side had. In the olden days, some had even more...8,9? Now, that's really hard to fathom in today's economy.
Thanks for the kind words.

Lol about the wife's statements.

Very interesting about your baseball past. I think a lot of guys struggle with the curve and it is something that takes time to learn. My youngest is kind of ambidextrous. He's a lefty, but he does some things right handed. Throws the ball about the same lefty or righty.

We'll see about baseball as they get older. I hated it as a kid, but I love playing it now, especially 16 inch at family picnics.

Yes, they keep us busy. The youngest had a sleep over at a friends house last night and with just 2 it's so much quieter. There were 5 of us when I was a kid, and my mom was like a crazy lady sometimes. I think 3 is much more manageable.

Have a good one!
Level 6

Location hidden

#3766 May 26, 2013
The sun is shining, the kids are happy, the birds are chirping, the outdoors are calling our names, what a beautiful day, I think I'll go get me some of it. LOL

“Maddie Mae”

Level 8

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#3767 May 26, 2013
My son calling to tell me he'll be here in a half hour!

“Hippie Single DAD, vet, Honest”

Level 6

Since: Apr 11

Steamboat Sprgs Colorado

#3768 May 26, 2013

You know understanding what makes me NOT smile,makes me smile!
Some will understand that many will not.
Most of it ends up being so silly in the true balance of things, & the time,life goes on anyway no matter whether your lol at nothing or drowning in tears.

A few simple words of a song often make me remember who I am & that smiling or finding simple humor in the face of sometimes what seems total despair ,has been a life long passion of mine,"Practice make perfect" :)
I sometimes wish I could hate & be scared,it would be much simpler I "feel"
Find Peace in yourselves. Rick

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#3769 May 26, 2013
looking at my two sons with ice cream all around their mouths......

Level 8

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#3771 May 26, 2013
NotaGoth wrote:
When someone genuinely laughs at a random clever you made...
Oops, I meant to say "at a random clever remark you made". Sorry about that!

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#3772 May 26, 2013
Having OLD Classic movies available to rent... They were made well..and BELIEVABLE of the era they were portraying... NO SPECIAL EFFECTS... Just great scripts, great actors and actresses and great directors!!!

I Am Enzo - The Baker

“Vintage 1949”

Level 9

Since: Feb 12

lightly salted

#3773 May 26, 2013
Colorado Chick wrote:
Having OLD Classic movies available to rent... They were made well..and BELIEVABLE of the era they were portraying... NO SPECIAL EFFECTS... Just great scripts, great actors and actresses and great directors!!!
Yup! The Three Stooges, Laurel+Hardy, Abbott+Costello...classics all...
My compliments on your memory my squeaky old jalopy...

AIias - Trish
Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#3774 May 26, 2013
I smile each time I come out here to Offbeat and see those names of some very decent folk that have touched me.

I warm heart and a good sense of humour makes me smile.:))))

AIias - Trish
Level 5

Location hidden

#3775 May 26, 2013
Some typos make me smile.

Haha - I'm kinda simple that way.
;~)

Level 9

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#3776 May 26, 2013
Handshake

AIias - Trish
Level 5

Location hidden

#3777 May 26, 2013
quilterqueen wrote:
Handshake
Hello QQ
That made me think of one that grabs your hand and tickles your palm. Haha

Hope you are enjoying your weekend.:)

AIias - Trish
Level 5

Location hidden

#3778 May 26, 2013
Some songs can make me smile and people laughing makes me smile.

Listen to this guy laughing in this one ...
The Jelly Roll Kings - Have Mercy Baby

:))))
Level 6

Location hidden

#3779 May 26, 2013
A funny joke or a really good song.
Best way to get a laugh or a smile.
:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 3 min So_da_lish_us 17,204
any word you want to say (Dec '09) 5 min middleman1 8,813
Post unpopular opinion, only comment agree or ... 18 min North Mountain 26
Name something you shouldn't do naked .... (Mar '14) 18 min Politico Incorrecto 759
Two rhyming words! (Jun '12) 21 min Princess Hey 668
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 55 min middleman1 18,979
First Word That Comes To Mind ....... (Apr '10) 1 hr middleman1 14,029
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr OZzie Beth Liar Liar 230,139
True False Game (Jun '11) 2 hr Jim 16,647