Parents outraged as school bans cartwheels

Aug 26, 2008 | Posted by: Cahira | Full story: www.news.com.au

FORGET smoking or bullying - at a Townsville primary school, doing a cartwheel in the playground can get you suspended.

Comments
161 - 180 of 268 Comments Last updated Aug 31, 2008
moma wil

United States

#163 Aug 28, 2008
Maria Antonia wrote:
<quoted text>
HAHAHAHA. That is too funny.
Funny?? But true. Girls in the 70's in tn. were not allowed to take shop classes. In 1974, in Killen Tx. I could not get a LIBRARY Card without my Dad;s or husbands consent... I didn't have have any so I got a guy in the library to sign for me. I was 18 years old...
sunshine

United States

#164 Aug 28, 2008
Schools ban anything. I just heard on the radio today that some schools won't allow animals in the classroom anymore. Safety issue. I do agree with the cheerleaders skirts being too short and they should not be allowed to wear them during the school day.
CutiePie

Seattle, WA

#165 Aug 28, 2008
sunshine wrote:
Schools ban anything. I just heard on the radio today that some schools won't allow animals in the classroom anymore. Safety issue. I do agree with the cheerleaders skirts being too short and they should not be allowed to wear them during the school day.
The cheerleaders in my school almost caused a riot by not wearing any underpants beneath their outfits! The boys just went totally wild.
Nonsence

Miami Beach, FL

#166 Aug 28, 2008
Here is the official footage from cnn

http://www.youtube.com/watch ...
lil girl lost

Wentzville, MO

#167 Aug 28, 2008
The Iggy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup your name says it all, you bring in an off topic conversation just like an ASSHAT! Run along now troll
ASSHAT!(hehehe)

Since: Aug 08

Canoga Park, CA

#168 Aug 29, 2008
zdunham777 wrote:
<quoted text>
Next, during recess students will have to sit in designated areas and talk, and that's it. We can't let children exercise because apparently somehow that's bad. They don't keep score at young kids soccer games now because apparently we need to let them all be winners, and they banned a 9 year old from little league because he was too good. This is political correctness run crazy, thanks to softy liberals.
No, it's because of all the fat weird smelly kids who never had any friends at recess got picked last got into the school boards and school administrations and this is their revenge.

Canoga Park, CA

#169 Aug 29, 2008
Parent wrote:
I totally agree! Doing cartwheels can be dangerous, plus it can expose girl's underwear and genitals to the opposite sex!
Perv, just for thinking of that, I hope you are reported to your local authorities.

Canoga Park, CA

#170 Aug 29, 2008
CutiePie wrote:
<quoted text> The cheerleaders in my school almost caused a riot by not wearing any underpants beneath their outfits! The boys just went totally wild.
LOL happened at our small town school during the 80's the captain of the senior year cheerleading squad got the idea from National Lampoon magazine, and got the squad suspended for a week.

Since: Apr 07

Hastings

#171 Aug 29, 2008
Just make it part of the PE lesson wearing decent underwear. Make parents sign a consent form. Does anyone know of a child seriously hurt cartwheeling?
In the UK recently there was a case of parents being sued because a child was badly injured when kicked on a trampoline at a party. The award was massive although later overturned by the High Court. People are just scared I guess.
http://www.fromtots2teens.com
Paul

Fishers, IN

#172 Aug 29, 2008
Maria Antonia wrote:
<quoted text>
...in bubble wrap......
=
A bit off topic, but....nice shorts.

“Poke the bear at your own risk”

Since: Sep 07

Leadville, CO

#173 Aug 29, 2008
lil girl lost wrote:
<quoted text>
ASSHAT!(hehehe)
LOL I can't claim that one as my own, but I was told to use it well. LOL ;)
Stan M

United States

#174 Aug 29, 2008
Parent wrote:
I totally agree! Doing cartwheels can be dangerous, plus it can expose girl's underwear and genitals to the opposite sex!
And the perv teachers
Willy Carson

United States

#175 Aug 29, 2008
Native Oregonian 11002 wrote:
<quoted text>Perv, just for thinking of that, I hope you are reported to your local authorities.
The thought cop's ---who's reporting your thought's ?

“doltish stare”

Since: Jan 08

Chicago

#176 Aug 29, 2008
MeanandNasty wrote:
Keep those kids in a padded box and push some pudding and water to them at lunch time (don't want them choking on solid foods). We can't risk them getting hurt walking down the halls. Gym class is next. They can take naps on the mats so they won't get hurt.
Hope the world never comes to this.
The world has come to this.

“Specto Testimonium”

Reeders, PA

#177 Aug 29, 2008
clone benson wrote:
ignorant parent,im not out raged,cart wheels can seriously hurt or die,schools cant afford being sued ,its just common sence, go figure, there there to get a education, not break there necks in doing it
Kids have to do things that take risks, you could trip on a rock walking and break your face too, should we not let kids walk around? I've seen hundreds of not thousands of cartwheels and never saw someone get hurt. Take your crap to another country you don't belong here.

“Specto Testimonium”

Reeders, PA

#178 Aug 29, 2008
sunshine wrote:
Yea my mother is a teacher, one of the science teacher had two boa constrictors, not that huge though, in a very secure enclosure built into the wall in the hallway. Had them there for nine years and a new principal said they were a liability even though all the kids loved watching them during feeding.

“Specto Testimonium”

Reeders, PA

#179 Aug 29, 2008
Tyeband wrote:
Just make it part of the PE lesson wearing decent underwear. Make parents sign a consent form. Does anyone know of a child seriously hurt cartwheeling?
In the UK recently there was a case of parents being sued because a child was badly injured when kicked on a trampoline at a party. The award was massive although later overturned by the High Court. People are just scared I guess.
http://www.fromtots2teens.com
We need to stop being so worried over everything, accidents happen, but there is no need to ruin things for the majority of people because of a few small accidents. It may sound harsh, but since there is no way to be perfect, a few rare bad accidents are acceptable.

“Specto Testimonium”

Reeders, PA

#180 Aug 29, 2008
The Count wrote:
<quoted text>
The world has come to this.
Yes it pretty much has, we got dodgeball banned at our school. We had these little nerf balls that, when whipped as hard as I could, were so light they wouldn't make it that far still. Someone went home and told their parents they got hurt when getting hit in the stomach and got it banned for us. I was hit in the face so many times with those and you don't even feel anything. I wish that person would toughen up or get run over. That was a little harsh.
BILL BLANFIELD

Cincinnati, OH

#181 Aug 29, 2008
MY LITTLE BROTHER HAS NEVER DONE ANY , AND AT 40 YEARS OLD HE STILL LIVES WITH MY PARENTS.

“Poke the bear at your own risk”

Since: Sep 07

Fort Lupton, CO

#182 Aug 29, 2008
zdunham777 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kids have to do things that take risks, you could trip on a rock walking and break your face too, should we not let kids walk around? I've seen hundreds of not thousands of cartwheels and never saw someone get hurt. Take your crap to another country you don't belong here.
Even so, how severe could that injury be? A bloody nose? A broken nose? Really kids scrap, bruise, skin and get bloody noses daily, they break bones too, those hurt and suck worse, but life is life. We can't live in fear, especially of something so benign as cartwheels or jumprope, is hopscotch next? My kiddo fell off a a little wall she was walking and scraped her leg, just about 2 months ago she dumped her bike in the alley because a barking dog scared her, she skinner her hip and leg up pretty bad, she learned two lessons, LONG PANTS not shorts and to just keep peddling, if need be kick the dog. Although the dog was fenced and couldn't get her. DID I sue? NO, did I ban her from her bike or walking short walls to pretend its a balance beam? NO

Craziness I say sheer craziness.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 3 min Jerilouise 2,288
Words that end with the same sound, but not the... 4 min 40ish 10
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min deutscher Nationa... 115,320
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 42 min Tom2Tone 145,428
--7 YEAR TRIBULATION READY to START (*News) TIC... 44 min YTubeNEws 1
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 51 min Truths 29,158
30,000 post wins (May '13) 53 min Truths 1,347
Women Hid Stolen Watches in Their Vaginas in Bi... 1 hr SLY WEST 22
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 1 hr -Lea- 18,692
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr LOST IN MISSISSIPPI 36,044