Parents outraged as school bans cartw...

Parents outraged as school bans cartwheels

There are 268 comments on the www.news.com.au story from Aug 26, 2008, titled Parents outraged as school bans cartwheels. In it, www.news.com.au reports that:

FORGET smoking or bullying - at a Townsville primary school, doing a cartwheel in the playground can get you suspended.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.news.com.au.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Since: May 08

Edmonton, Canada

#1 Aug 26, 2008
How ridiculous. They would not get away with this with me. Sounds like a commie country, than the land of the free.
What is wrong with cartwheels? I do them all the time.
Maybe it is the mode of dress, little girls doing them with skirts maybe??? We know teachers can't keep it in their pants.

“Get over yourself...”

Level 6

Since: Jan 08

You're not that important

#2 Aug 26, 2008
How stupid! The more we shelter kids from all harm, the less prepared they are for life in the real world. What's next, bubble wrap uniforms?

Since: Nov 07

North Bend, OR

#3 Aug 26, 2008
Who would want a cart with no wheels?
BC in Chicago

United States

#4 Aug 26, 2008
Schools aren't really worried so much about kids getting hurt, as they are afraid of law suits. People will sue over EVERYTHING. That's why many schools have outlawed games like tag and even some ball games. Soon recess will mean everyone stands lined up in front of the door.

“If The Shoe Fits”

Since: Feb 08

Medina, Ohio

#5 Aug 26, 2008
I didn't see target practice listed on there.
MeanandNasty

United States

#6 Aug 26, 2008
Keep those kids in a padded box and push some pudding and water to them at lunch time (don't want them choking on solid foods). We can't risk them getting hurt walking down the halls. Gym class is next. They can take naps on the mats so they won't get hurt.

Hope the world never comes to this.
MeanandNasty

United States

#7 Aug 26, 2008
Oh yeah, and how are we ever going to get that Olympic gold if kids can't practice cartwheels?

“Poke the bear at your own risk”

Since: Sep 07

Broomfield, CO

#8 Aug 26, 2008
MeanandNasty wrote:
Keep those kids in a padded box and push some pudding and water to them at lunch time (don't want them choking on solid foods). We can't risk them getting hurt walking down the halls. Gym class is next. They can take naps on the mats so they won't get hurt.
Hope the world never comes to this.
they might drown in the glass of water, that just won't do, better yet, let us ban school all together, it is too dangereous for our children. They might get their feelings hurt if another kid teases them, they might get hurt walking up stairs, they might get ahold of a book that is inappropriate for kids you know like Harry Potter or something. Yup the only way to save our kids is to ban school.*notes heavy sarcasm.

*rolls eyes at the idiocy of some people's rules
MeanandNasty

United States

#9 Aug 26, 2008
The Iggy wrote:
<quoted text>
they might drown in the glass of water, that just won't do, better yet, let us ban school all together, it is too dangereous for our children. They might get their feelings hurt if another kid teases them, they might get hurt walking up stairs, they might get ahold of a book that is inappropriate for kids you know like Harry Potter or something. Yup the only way to save our kids is to ban school.*notes heavy sarcasm.
*rolls eyes at the idiocy of some people's rules
People's homes are dangerous! They can slip in bathtubs, fall down stairs, no. People should just stop having kids. It's the only way they can be totally safe.
The Old Coach

Austin, TX

#10 Aug 26, 2008
Little thugs! Next thing you know, if you allow cartwheels they'll be jumping rope next!!

“I am listening.......”

Level 2

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#11 Aug 26, 2008
BC in Chicago wrote:
Schools aren't really worried so much about kids getting hurt, as they are afraid of law suits. People will sue over EVERYTHING. That's why many schools have outlawed games like tag and even some ball games. Soon recess will mean everyone stands lined up in front of the door.
...in bubble wrap......

Level 1

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#12 Aug 26, 2008
What the hell? Kids can't do anything anymore. Give me a friggin break. What is happening to the world? Kids can't be kids anymore. They say they want kids to get exercise and stop all the video games and the child obesity but they can only do certain things - that someone else decides.

When I was in 6th grade (like a million years ago) I had a teacher that said girls cannot play team ball because we were "developing". Cause you know, the ball will knock the boobies back into our chests. Speaking as a 36D all natural woman, BULLSHIT!

My mom called the school to complain and I was allowed to play. If enough parents call and complain or sign waivers then maybe...a kid can be a kid.

twl

“Just call me T”

Since: Jul 08

omaha

#13 Aug 26, 2008
Man, seems that the kids in Australia have it rough when they can play soccer and cricket (IN WHICH THEY SWING HUGE WOODEN STICKS AROUND) but they can't do cartwheels. That is just redonkulous!!! So stupid.

“I am listening.......”

Level 2

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#14 Aug 26, 2008
Brattus Rattus wrote:
....girls cannot play team ball because we were "developing". Cause you know, the ball will knock the boobies back into our chests....
HAHAHAHA. That is too funny.

“Poke the bear at your own risk”

Since: Sep 07

Broomfield, CO

#15 Aug 26, 2008
MeanandNasty wrote:
<quoted text>
People's homes are dangerous! They can slip in bathtubs, fall down stairs, no. People should just stop having kids. It's the only way they can be totally safe.
Yes all people must stop procreating, your homes will hurt your innocent children who have yet to be born!*rolls eyes
johanson

Portland, OR

#16 Aug 26, 2008
Just imagine how marginalized all those kids who can't do cartwheels feel when others do them in front of them. Think about the kids!(LOL)
IDK

Canton, MI

#17 Aug 26, 2008
geez...any liberals around there?
IDK

Canton, MI

#18 Aug 26, 2008
BC in Chicago wrote:
So like typical liberal fashion, we mask the problem instead of hitting it head on. You don't ban tag or dodge ball or whatever, you get rid of these @ssinine laywers and these liberal judges that keep allowing these lawsuits. Some schools have eliminated recess and blame it on budget cuts. Huh? No wonder kids are getting fat.
MeanandNasty

United States

#19 Aug 26, 2008
The Iggy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes all people must stop procreating, your homes will hurt your innocent children who have yet to be born!*rolls eyes
That's another thing, adults will have to give up practicing for procreation. You could throw out a hip, for Pete's sake! Oh hey, um, forget I ever said that. Never mind.
straight shooter

United States

#20 Aug 26, 2008
MeanandNasty wrote:
Oh yeah, and how are we ever going to get that Olympic gold if kids can't practice cartwheels?
Hope you didn't hurt yourself jumping to conclusions. If you had read the article you would have known it was in Australia.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
One Word (Jan '09) 2 min andet1987 16,598
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min One way or another 200,962
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 5 min Crazy Beautiful 8,443
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 7 min Grace Nerissa 58,044
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 13 min andet1987 31,701
I love for people to see me naked on snap 14 min Nkdgy 1
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 17 min Bezeer 3,258
News 10 weird and crazy sex facts you may not know 1 hr Sam 5
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 1 hr Sam 7,779
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr Northbound 194,089