Is the sale of Girl Scout cookies a s...
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
FTW

Livonia, NY

#105 Feb 10, 2014
I don't eat girl scout cookies, I prefer a moist Brownie.......
bitter truth

Orlando, FL

#106 Apr 6, 2014
The cookies are made by regular cookie factories. The thin mints, for example, are the Keeble Grasshopper. The only difference is the packaging. Price is higher, but costs are lower as there are lower costs, such as warehousing or salaries. The parents of the girl scouts pay almost every possible cost they have, such as camp. The give backs to the individual girl scouts are trivial. Higher ups in the GS corporation are extremely well compensated. How do they do it? Because any inquiry is met with first, a set of BS cost break down with no source to confirm, and second, the question, why do you hate little girls?

Level 7

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#107 Apr 7, 2014
If I'm thinking right I think the Girl Scout troops get more money per box then what they used to. I also think the girls in the troops are doing more active projects then when I was in Girl Scouts.
Angry Sister

Benton, AR

#110 Apr 23, 2016
Big fat scam. Kids peddle cookies for hours!!! My little sister stood on a street corner & sold cookies for over 10 hours in one weekend & got hardly any credit. They have to sell 200 boxes & you know what they get....$5 off their over $200 camp fee.$5 whole dollars for peddling cookies. Then once you sign for your cookies you can not give them back. You have to pay for them. So your paying for unsold cookies & over $200 for camp. Her leader even gave my mom flack for wanting to trade crappy cookies for ones people actually wanted. It's sooooooo not worth it.
Next year, no cookie sales for this little girl.$5, that's bull!!

“Understand people,”

Level 3

Since: Mar 08

do you.

#111 Apr 23, 2016
EvilJedi wrote:
My 6 year old is a Girl Scout, and is currently selling cookies...
...Of course it's a scam...
...The cookies are OK, but definitely not worth the price...
...What you are really buying is the many projects the Girl Scouts do during the year...
...so, buy a bunch when you get the chance, willya???
Truthfully, I really don't buy them to support their projects, but because they taste good.
Basically, the buyers money helps the kid.

Too bad parents of that same kid may be slow to help unfortunate kids not of their own in their neighborhood.

"It is not my kid".

And hope one of the projects they perform is for those who cannot afford to buy them.

Level 4

Since: Dec 09

Just hanging out.

#112 Apr 23, 2016
UnderstandPeople wrote:
<quoted text>

Truthfully, I really don't buy them to support their projects, but because they taste good.
Basically, the buyers money helps the kid.

Too bad parents of that same kid may be slow to help unfortunate kids not of their own in their neighborhood.

"It is not my kid".

And hope one of the projects they perform is for those who cannot afford to buy them.
I like the peanut butter cookies and mint best, we always buy them when opportunity knocks. And you make a good great point.

“Understand people,”

Level 3

do you.

#113 Apr 23, 2016
bitter truth wrote:
The cookies are made by regular cookie factories. The thin mints, for example, are the Keeble Grasshopper. The only difference is the packaging. Price is higher, but costs are lower as there are lower costs, such as warehousing or salaries. The parents of the girl scouts pay almost every possible cost they have, such as camp. The give backs to the individual girl scouts are trivial. Higher ups in the GS corporation are extremely well compensated. How do they do it? Because any inquiry is met with first, a set of BS cost break down with no source to confirm, and second, the question, why do you hate little girls?
Guess the Girl Scouts are the hidden low cost employee of Keebler distributorship, in that case.
Possibly, the left overs of the thin mints (which are gross to me) are handed down to the Girl Scouts as a show of corporate charity fundraising.

"Fundraising matches are very similar to matching gifts in that they provide nonprofits with a monetary donation after an employee has donated time or effort to the organization."
(SOURCE: https://doublethedonation.com/10-types-of-cor... )

Though, Keebler is a profit organization...not to say that Keebler can also create "third party subsidiaries" that are non profit, which are lawfully not of the corporation itself.

Also, it is not about hating little girls, it is about someone that may not be interested in assisting the little girls just because it is not their own little girls.

If not so, buy your unknown neighbor's 8 year old girl some shoes instead of just being nice to her on October 31st with a 0.5 oz chocolate bar.

At least the bar tastes better than the thin mints....

:)

“Understand people,”

Level 3

do you.

#114 Apr 23, 2016
Suezanne wrote:
<quoted text>

I like the peanut butter cookies and mint best, we always buy them when opportunity knocks. And you make a good great point.
The mints are not my fave but the peanut butter patties are good and the shortbread trefoils are kinda worth the $4. Lemon savannah smiles and choco chip, oatmeal, peanut butter trios are cool too.
http://www.girlscouts.org/en/cookies/all-abou...

But I believe most people buy them for taste.
Hardly anyone buys a product to explicitly support the one distributing it.
If so, then it would be considered as charity and not playing part as a consumer.

At least, SUPPOSEDLY, the cash goes to a non-profit for skill making instead of a profit for stock making...supposedly.

Girl Scouts should find a way to offer a Kit Kat tasting cookie.

“Understand people,”

Level 3

do you.

#115 Apr 23, 2016
UnderstandPeople wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess the Girl Scouts are the hidden low cost employee of Keebler distributorship, in that case.
Possibly, the left overs of the thin mints (which are gross to me) are handed down to the Girl Scouts as a show of corporate charity fundraising.

"Fundraising matches are very similar to matching gifts in that they provide nonprofits with a monetary donation after an employee has donated time or effort to the organization."
(SOURCE: https://doublethedonation.com/10-types-of-cor... )

Though, Keebler is a profit organization...not to say that Keebler can also create "third party subsidiaries" that are non profit, which are lawfully not of the corporation itself.

Also, it is not about hating little girls, it is about someone that may not be interested in assisting the little girls just because it is not their own little girls.

If not so, buy your unknown neighbor's 8 year old girl some shoes instead of just being nice to her on October 31st with a 0.5 oz chocolate bar.

At least the bar tastes better than the thin mints....

Yall know this may be true...Keebler overstock equals less cost effective waste as corporate waste costs the corporation.
Gas station attendants, like RaceTrac, count their waste before discarding it. Especially the larger ones who have muffins that set out all day. It doesn't cost the distributor but the one whom it is distributed to, like RaceTrac.

Who knows how it goes. But Keebler helping Girl Scouts would be as equal as Starbuck $5 latte helping their bean growers in Central and South Americas...and Microsoft's "third party affiliate" or aftermath called:

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/

Now you see where I am coming from.
First, create profit, then IPO, then good stock, then Net Worth, then at last...charity.
Same redundant corporate cycles.

So who is to say Keebler does not do this? Ask their CFO's and Accountants.

“Understand people,”

Level 3

do you.

#116 Apr 23, 2016
Negative judge its from parents of Girl Scouts who have a bit of denial in their logic.
"The Girl Scouts help my little girl grow skills, honor, synergy, responsibility, and the self esteem that I do not have time to teach them. So screw you, Mr. Keebler hand me downs to my little Tammy's Girl Scouts! I think the cookies teach her how to earn a dollar...so SCREW YOU!"

Go ahead, peanut me at the bottom.
Just don't thin mint me or I might upchuck.

“Forehead wrinkle”

Since: Dec 10

Homefries

#117 Apr 25, 2016
I think this is a great learning experience for the girls. They learn at an early age how to rip off the consumer with overpriced goods.

“Understand people,”

Level 3

do you.

#118 Apr 26, 2016
DILF wrote:
I think this is a great learning experience for the girls. They learn at an early age how to rip off the consumer with overpriced goods.
That's America.

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Level 9

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#119 Apr 27, 2016
Not a scam if you don't buy them :)

“Understand people,”

Level 3

do you.

#120 Apr 28, 2016
dragoon70056 wrote:
Not a scam if you don't buy them :)
FBI agrees to that. Only can investigate if there is a victim, like cold call scams.

Besides, Lorna Doones beats all Girl Scout cookies...and cost less for more ounces.
Money Well Spent

Huntington, NY

#121 Apr 28, 2016
I usually just donate $10 directly to the Girls who are selling the cookies, without buying the cookies.

This way 100% of my money goes to the Girls that are selling the cookies and none goes to the cookie maker.

8-)

(As a side benefit, some moms REALLY appreciate the gesture and want to meet me after hours)

“Understand people,”

Level 3

do you.

#122 Apr 30, 2016
Money Well Spent wrote:
I usually just donate $10 directly to the Girls who are selling the cookies, without buying the cookies.

This way 100% of my money goes to the Girls that are selling the cookies and none goes to the cookie maker.

8-)

(As a side benefit, some moms REALLY appreciate the gesture and want to meet me after hours)
Good alternative to cutting out the unnedded middle man.
Though, not many will do as you do.
Some people feel they must get something back for donating, which is oxymoronic.
So the factory sees this, and creates the anti alternative.

Makes one think about how to rid middle men.
But they cycle of complaining about middle men caused by self imposed behavior continues.

Best cookies are the fudge cookies at the dollar store, if being frugal.
Then donate the $9 of the $10 to the scouts. Just a thought to appease both needs on both sidses...
Thats Life

Huntington, NY

#124 May 2, 2016
Why don't the Boy Scouts sell cookies? They would do it better.

“Understand people,”

Level 3

do you.

#126 May 7, 2016
Money Well Spent wrote:

8-)

BTW, cookies aren't the only thing being scrapped off the stove top after hours, I guess.
Hope a spatula wasn't required...
Spoiler Warrior

Granite City, IL

#127 Jan 7, 2017
Money Well Spent wrote:

8-)

Spoiler alert

They take your $10 and puts it towards 3 boxes of cookies.
Felixthechunt

Huntington Beach, CA

#128 Mar 8, 2017
A good percentage of the money goes to buy the flat chested girls boob jobs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 12 min quilterqueen 151,138
Word association (Jun '07) 16 min quilterqueen 7,355
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 23 min User Gamer 16,833
noticed it was red 26 min Emerald 105
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 28 min User Gamer 6,374
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 28 min User Gamer 18,602
SUSPENSE ! ! A-Z Start a sentence but don't fin... 28 min Emerald 11
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr quilterqueen 228,442
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 3 hr Tally 6,165
More from around the web