Is the sale of Girl Scout cookies a s...
Fed Up

Purcellville, VA

#62 Feb 25, 2013
I just learned that an older kid in the neighborhood decided to charge us $5 a box and some of the other neighbors $2.95 a box! I am happy to support the Girl Scouts, and I was one as a kid, but I'm sure this is NOT the way the Girl Scouts want to be represented. They are suppose to learn to respect people, not scam their neighbors.
Ticked off Cookie Mom

Denver, CO

#63 Mar 4, 2013
Comment: Please investigate Girl Scout Cookie fraud. My daughters troop sold 7400 boxes of cookies at $3.50 a box. The troop earned only 60 cents a box for a total of $4,440.00. We were told this evening that the troop will have to pay for over 820 boxes of cookies that they did not sell @3.50 for a total cost of $2870.00. Girl Scout Council will not take back the cookies and now the girls are being told that all their hard work doesn't matter. Someone needs to investigate what in the world is going on here. The Girl Scouts are making money off the backs of these young girls and now they are not even willing to take back the cookies that they could not sell. This is a sham and I am a ticked off mother of disappointed cookie seller. Someone needs to be held accountable!

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#64 Mar 5, 2013
Ticked off Cookie Mom wrote:
Comment: Please investigate Girl Scout Cookie fraud. My daughters troop sold 7400 boxes of cookies at $3.50 a box. The troop earned only 60 cents a box for a total of $4,440.00. We were told this evening that the troop will have to pay for over 820 boxes of cookies that they did not sell @3.50 for a total cost of $2870.00. Girl Scout Council will not take back the cookies and now the girls are being told that all their hard work doesn't matter. Someone needs to investigate what in the world is going on here. The Girl Scouts are making money off the backs of these young girls and now they are not even willing to take back the cookies that they could not sell. This is a sham and I am a ticked off mother of disappointed cookie seller. Someone needs to be held accountable!
they expect the girls to Pay for the unsold cookies?? i Hope not and i dont blame u for being pissed off, i would be too.
do these girls have to sell the cookies? i mean is that a must do requirement?
tiffis

Rochester, PA

#65 Mar 5, 2013

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#66 Mar 5, 2013
Quite frankly, I don't eat this crap.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're great, I just don't have much of a sweet tooth.

I did however donate money to the Girl Scouts and in leau of cookies, I got to send some cookies to a serviceman overseas - win/win, IMO.
Bradley Lipton

Huntington, NY

#67 Mar 5, 2013
Ticked off Cookie Mom wrote:
I agree.
It's time to let a manrun the show over there.
A man will turn around and make thing right. They are much more benevolent and kind.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Level 3

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#68 Mar 5, 2013
Billy R wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely correct. Their cookies aren't terribly priced compared to the competition,and it helps a whole bunch of Girl scouts all year. Personally,I can't tell the girls no when they ask me to buy a box.
I only buy thin mints. Its a fund raising effort for a good cause. How could you refuse them?

Level 6

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#69 Mar 5, 2013
I have it on good authority that Girl Scout cookies are the best - eat the box and burn the rest. At least that's what the Boy Scouts say.

“If you're happy & you know it”

Level 7

Since: Feb 13

clap your hands!

#70 Mar 5, 2013
I haven't had to pay for GS cookies in years. My guy works for a shipping company that is a central location for the distribution of the cookies in our area and each year they have pallets upon pallets of unsold leftovers that all the employees get to take home (or they get thrown out). He usually brings home several boxes of each kind each year (I'm talking like 30-40 boxes of cookies that we pass out to friends and family).

Lucky me!

Personally, I think they should lower the price & sell more rather than have to toss out the "leftovers".
jeremy

Brooklyn, NY

#71 Mar 5, 2013
Does anyone have a link to the either 60 minutes or was it 20/20 that had a full breakdown on the scheme of things. Let's just say id like to have a 126,000 dollar a year cake job... Exploiting kids isn't right period...
jeremy

Brooklyn, NY

#72 Mar 5, 2013
Can somebody send the link to [email protected]

Since: Aug 08

Buffalo, NY

#73 Mar 5, 2013
jeremy wrote:
Can somebody send the link to [email protected]
... for three boxes of thin mints ...
concerned drifter

United States

#74 Mar 5, 2013
its a scam but da paedophiles luv them
mc

Ardsley, NY

#75 Mar 6, 2013
I prefer to donate in check form... I use http://www.mrrebates.com ?refid=765602 which is free to use and I save 1%-3% plus additional rebates for all my online shopping, I even got a $5 bonus rebate just for signing up! I'd spend the money anyway so at the end of the year I just use all y accumulated rebates and make a nice donation to my favorite organizations.
Gsrv momma

United States

#76 Mar 19, 2013
diana wrote:
I have been a Girl Scout for most of my life and a leader for the past 8 years. 68% of sales of Girl Scout cookies come from the sale of Thin Mints (25%),Samoas®/Caramel deLites®(19%), Peanut Butter Patties®/Tagalongs®(13%), Peanut Butter Sandwich/Do-si-dos®(11%). These four products contain cottonseed oil, the cheapest oil available to manufacturers. Cotton is not a food crop and as such is one of the most heavily sprayed with pesticides. There is no FDA testing done on cottonseed oil to check for toxic residue. Until the GSUSA changes the ingredients in their cookies I will not allow my child to sell cookies or my family to purchase them. These cookies cost only $.85 per box for these companies to produce, package and ship. The rest is done by us – parent driven/child labor. I have experienced daughters who have sold 500+ boxes of cookies. This year my youngest daughter will sell Zero. We must take a stand on this and demand that this organization produces a better, healthier product. Also, another FYI, all of the money that does not go directly to the troops remains at the regional level. The national organization receives royalties directly from the two national baking companies.
I can complain about the cost of the cookies, the arduous process of selling them, how little we make by doing so – but I am not. I would rather know that I am selling a quality product – even if it cost $6 a box! How can we teach our daughters the Girl Scout Law and hope to instill leadership qualities if we are willing to sit back on this issue? Think about it…
I understand the original idea behind the Cookies was for the Girls to earn a Merit Badge in Salesmenship or Business or something like that…Then someone found that the Girls Scouts had a money maker there and took it to the next highest level and have bastardized into what it is now..and then the Girl Scouts made a decision that they did not want the Girls to do door to door sales anymore, so in their infinite marketing wisdom, ruined the entire program and turned it into Parents having to sell the Cookies for the kids or hang out with them for hours outside of Supermarkets turning the girls into street beggars ande hawkers instead of getting some experience in real door to door sales..Shame on the Girl Scout Administrators for again ruining a fun and decent and worthwhile endeavor, just to get a buck!
Yes our girls have to sell 50 boxes to get a patch. We have about 4 weeks left of selling cookies. We have about 170 boxes left to sell. UGH! This is my first year to be in charge of the money. I have to say when I saw that council gets $5004.00 and we get $834.00 if we sell all the cookies we have now. Because they will not let you return any of the cookies once you take them out of council. I tried to return some of the cookies less then 24 hours after taking them and 5 weeks left of selling cookies and I was told they were now our troops!
I think I would much rather find donations for our Troop next year then have the stress of selling cookies. Each girl would need to find someone to donate $50.00 to our troop to come up with the same amount money we are recieving for selling 1668 COOKIES!!
I love our girls in our Troop and I believe alot of what they learn and do will help their character but stressing over cookies has not been helpful. Plus it has taken away from time they could have spent learning or doing something helpful for their community.
I don't know where you are from but I have never had problems returning cookies to the counsel for one an for two, cottonseed oil is in almost everything including "health" food, the American diet is crap and I don't think eating Girl Scout cookies are what's ruining people's health, I prefer to let the kids enjoy the perks that comes with scouts and not screw them out of the important business lessons it teaches and the fun they have doing it. Not to mention the fun we get to have with the monies we earn.
Gsrv momma

United States

#77 Mar 19, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
they expect the girls to Pay for the unsold cookies?? i Hope not and i dont blame u for being pissed off, i would be too.
do these girls have to sell the cookies? i mean is that a must do requirement?
We returned ours just fine, perhaps your cookie leader should make sure she is meeting the return deadlines
Stan Fishler

Huntington, NY

#78 Mar 19, 2013
I believe it is a good life lesson for all girls. They are learning to sell goods early on in life so that when they grow up to be adults they will be ready for their jobs as cashiers at Malls and department stores. It gets them ready to deal with consumers.

Level 8

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#79 Mar 19, 2013
I FINALLY spotted a sale Saturday & stopped to get my Samoa (new name caramel delites) fix...WHAT??? was Samoa politically incorrect??? lol ... they had sold out already!!! grrr

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#80 Mar 20, 2013
Gsrv momma wrote:
<quoted text>
We returned ours just fine, perhaps your cookie leader should make sure she is meeting the return deadlines
huh?

actually i would never have a need to return them.
i eat them!
lol
Connie Mist

Huntington, NY

#81 Mar 20, 2013
Yes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 2 min Grace Nerissa 35,519
2words into 2new words (May '12) 3 min Dont_You_Dare 2,833
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 5 min Hoosier Hillbilly 10,314
The last word in the sentence must rhyme with t... (Aug '15) 5 min Grace Nerissa 1,133
Answer a question with a question (Apr '15) 12 min Grace Nerissa 2,723
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: (Apr '15) 14 min Grace Nerissa 6,996
A six word game (Dec '08) 14 min Hoosier Hillbilly 19,451
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 18 min Grace Nerissa 58,058
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 hr KNIGHT DeVINE 194,215
News Trump's Newest Ad Is So Frickin' WeirdBy Olivia... 4 hr YouDidntBuildThat 26
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 7 hr Knock off purse s... 7,798
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 10 hr Enzo49 8,479
More from around the web