Is the sale of Girl Scout cookies a scam?

Posted in the Weird Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 103 Comments Last updated Apr 7, 2014
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
DILF

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2010

Why are they exempt from child labor laws?

Hmmmm?

“I was a Grim Reaper”

Level 8

Since: Apr 07

But now I take antidepressants

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2010

Judged:

If chocolate chip cookies contain chocolate chips,what do girl scout cookies contain?
Arminius

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2010

Billy R wrote:
If chocolate chip cookies contain chocolate chips,what do girl scout cookies contain?
You really don't want to know!
EvilJedi

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2010

Judged:

My 6 year old is a Girl Scout, and is currently selling cookies...
...Of course it's a scam...
...The cookies are OK, but definitely not worth the price...
...What you are really buying is the many projects the Girl Scouts do during the year...
...so, buy a bunch when you get the chance, willya???
DILF

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2010

What percentage does the Girl Scouts get on a $3.50 box of cookies?

Anyone know?

I'm curious.

“I was a Grim Reaper”

Level 8

But now I take antidepressants

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2010

Judged:

EvilJedi wrote:
My 6 year old is a Girl Scout, and is currently selling cookies...
...Of course it's a scam...
...The cookies are OK, but definitely not worth the price...
...What you are really buying is the many projects the Girl Scouts do during the year...
...so, buy a bunch when you get the chance, willya???
Absolutely correct. Their cookies aren't terribly priced compared to the competition,and it helps a whole bunch of Girl scouts all year. Personally,I can't tell the girls no when they ask me to buy a box.
End The Hate

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2010

Judged:

DILF wrote:
Anyone know?
I'm curious.
Hi DILF! In Ca the cookies are sold for $4.00 per box and my 8 yr old told me they get 75 cents per box.(That has not been verified). My daughter is a Girl Scout and LOVES selling anything they give her to sell. When she was selling nuts people walking down the street took one look at her in her full uniform and said what are you selling? Then bought her items, all of them. Her troop ran out of things to sell because of her. She is so excited about being a GS and even though I think the cookies are over priced she has no trouble selling them and the money is supposed to assist the GS with field trips, art supplies, and needed items for meetings.

“J'Aime et J'Espere”

Since: Sep 09

Take A Guess, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2010

I don’t know how much it is today, but in years past about 1/3 of the sales went to the bakers, the rest would be divided up among the National Organization, the Regional, and the local chapter. The local chapter normally gets around .50 a box.
Arminius

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2010

DILF wrote:
Anyone know?
I'm curious.
If I am not mistaken, the individual GS troop gets less than what goes to the National GS Headquarters, which is on Fifth Ave in NYC. I saw a documentary which explained the very high salaries of the senior staff. I usually buy a couple boxes each year, but I also make out a check to the girl's Scoutmaster and troop. That way the money stays where it benefits the girls and not the pricey headquarters in NYC.
DILF

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2010

Planck wrote:
I don’t know how much it is today, but in years past about 1/3 of the sales went to the bakers, the rest would be divided up among the National Organization, the Regional, and the local chapter. The local chapter normally gets around .50 a box.
Holy Carp.....

I'd be better off just writing a check to the local troop, this way I'm assured that my money stays with the kids in my community and not pay the "salaries" and "expenses" of the organization....
End The Hate

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2010

Arminius wrote:
<quoted text>If I am not mistaken, the individual GS troop gets less than what goes to the National GS Headquarters, which is on Fifth Ave in NYC. I saw a documentary which explained the very high salaries of the senior staff. I usually buy a couple boxes each year, but I also make out a check to the girl's Scoutmaster and troop. That way the money stays where it benefits the girls and not the pricey headquarters in NYC.
Very good point regarding your donation. Thanks so much on behalf of the GS.
Pretty Feet

North Wales, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2010

Judged:

dont know, but their cookies are good!
especially those choc mint ones...
:O)
crazy idea

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2010

people at my job sell them ever year around now. i order a couple of boxes but never around when they come in.
The Monkey

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2010

Agree w/ pf above. Love the cookies: Kinda wish the girls were all around 19-22 tho.
long beach mother of 5

Alhambra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

Judged:

well i have a 6 year old daisy and she was so happy to sell and sold 173 box and for her troop thay are goin to seaworld and that makes them happy im just happy to see that there is still lil girls that love girlscouts and thats the big picture in all of this keep the kids off the street so i dont care if thay were 50 bucks a box i would still buy 40 thats called support

“Take it and own it, again.”

Level 4

Huntington Beach "Surf City"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

Judged:

long beach mother of 5 wrote:
well i have a 6 year old daisy and she was so happy to sell and sold 173 box and for her troop thay are goin to seaworld and that makes them happy im just happy to see that there is still lil girls that love girlscouts and thats the big picture in all of this keep the kids off the street so i dont care if thay were 50 bucks a box i would still buy 40 thats called support
Priceless!... sweet!

That's why I don't hesitate to buy them.

I give them away and bring them to work to share.

Great testimonial BTW.

Everyone should buy some to share......(don't eat them all yourself, B/P will hit the ceiling)
diana

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

Judged:

I have been a Girl Scout for most of my life and a leader for the past 8 years. 68% of sales of Girl Scout cookies come from the sale of Thin Mints (25%),Samoas®/Caramel deLites®(19%), Peanut Butter Patties®/Tagalongs®(13%), Peanut Butter Sandwich/Do-si-dos®(11%). These four products contain cottonseed oil, the cheapest oil available to manufacturers. Cotton is not a food crop and as such is one of the most heavily sprayed with pesticides. There is no FDA testing done on cottonseed oil to check for toxic residue. Until the GSUSA changes the ingredients in their cookies I will not allow my child to sell cookies or my family to purchase them. These cookies cost only $.85 per box for these companies to produce, package and ship. The rest is done by us – parent driven/child labor. I have experienced daughters who have sold 500+ boxes of cookies. This year my youngest daughter will sell Zero. We must take a stand on this and demand that this organization produces a better, healthier product. Also, another FYI, all of the money that does not go directly to the troops remains at the regional level. The national organization receives royalties directly from the two national baking companies.
I can complain about the cost of the cookies, the arduous process of selling them, how little we make by doing so – but I am not. I would rather know that I am selling a quality product – even if it cost $6 a box! How can we teach our daughters the Girl Scout Law and hope to instill leadership qualities if we are willing to sit back on this issue? Think about it…
I understand the original idea behind the Cookies was for the Girls to earn a Merit Badge in Salesmenship or Business or something like that…Then someone found that the Girls Scouts had a money maker there and took it to the next highest level and have bastardized into what it is now..and then the Girl Scouts made a decision that they did not want the Girls to do door to door sales anymore, so in their infinite marketing wisdom, ruined the entire program and turned it into Parents having to sell the Cookies for the kids or hang out with them for hours outside of Supermarkets turning the girls into street beggars ande hawkers instead of getting some experience in real door to door sales..Shame on the Girl Scout Administrators for again ruining a fun and decent and worthwhile endeavor, just to get a buck!
Yes our girls have to sell 50 boxes to get a patch. We have about 4 weeks left of selling cookies. We have about 170 boxes left to sell. UGH! This is my first year to be in charge of the money. I have to say when I saw that council gets $5004.00 and we get $834.00 if we sell all the cookies we have now. Because they will not let you return any of the cookies once you take them out of council. I tried to return some of the cookies less then 24 hours after taking them and 5 weeks left of selling cookies and I was told they were now our troops!
I think I would much rather find donations for our Troop next year then have the stress of selling cookies. Each girl would need to find someone to donate $50.00 to our troop to come up with the same amount money we are recieving for selling 1668 COOKIES!!
I love our girls in our Troop and I believe alot of what they learn and do will help their character but stressing over cookies has not been helpful. Plus it has taken away from time they could have spent learning or doing something helpful for their community.
Dirty Sancho

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

Judged:

Who cares.

“Forehead wrinkle”

Since: Dec 10

Homefries

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

It's that time again!!!!!

“... SUMMER TIME ...”

Since: Aug 08

AND THE LIVIN IS EAZY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

Judged:

after reading all of these posts ...i need some milk...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••