Do you or have you spanked your child...

Do you or have you spanked your children?

Posted in the Weird Forum

First Prev
of 27
Next Last
Fast Money

Vienna, OH

#1 Jun 13, 2008
Do you believe in corporal punishment? I believe that there is a difference between a good old fashioned ass whipping and abuse or severe beatings. Spare the rod and spoil the child. I think that we see evidence of this more and more every day. This "time out" or "grounding" crap doesn't always work. Once in a while a kid needs a good jolt to straighten their ass out. Of course the worst thing that you can do is to hug them and cry and say "I love you" after delivering the sore bottom side. That defeats the purpose of the act.

“Can you say? DEE-DEE!!”

Since: Jun 08

Mississippi

#2 Jun 13, 2008
Fast Money wrote:
Do you believe in corporal punishment? I believe that there is a difference between a good old fashioned ass whipping and abuse or severe beatings. Spare the rod and spoil the child. I think that we see evidence of this more and more every day. This "time out" or "grounding" crap doesn't always work. Once in a while a kid needs a good jolt to straighten their ass out. Of course the worst thing that you can do is to hug them and cry and say "I love you" after delivering the sore bottom side. That defeats the purpose of the act.
I totally agree....

“Out in the West Texas”

Level 1

Since: Mar 08

town of El Paso

#3 Jun 13, 2008
Spanking is abuse...period. So who typically spanks anymore? An ignorant person who does it because "my pappy done did it to me, so it must work, by golly" or a lazy person who does not want to bother learning and using effective, non-abusive parenting skills.

Judged:

15

13

8

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
DILF

Huntington, NY

#4 Jun 13, 2008
Not only have I spanked my kids (lovingly, not abusive) but I have even spanked the wife on occasion....... I even spank myself sometimes...But that's a different topic.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#5 Jun 13, 2008
Here's the rub...yes, any child should be tapped on the beehind when they misbehave. But! This can get out of hand and both the child and the parent will come to expect this as a cure all. I used more psychology on my kids than corporal punishment - sometimes it worked better, sometimes not - but I think it saved them some scars - both emotionally and physically over the years.
Kathleen

Bensalem, PA

#6 Jun 13, 2008
Spank 'em if you got 'em.

“Mean Machine in Red & Black”

Since: Mar 08

Live, Laugh & Love

#7 Jun 13, 2008
DILF wrote:
Not only have I spanked my kids (lovingly, not abusive) but I have even spanked the wife on occasion....... I even spank myself sometimes...But that's a different topic.
Dilf...You crack me up.

I spank our son..but he also gets time out and toys taken away..spanking is the last resort.

Now you all know I cam from and abusive home, there is a difference and a line you don't cross....
DILF

Huntington, NY

#8 Jun 13, 2008
DaniGirl123 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dilf...You crack me up.
I spank our son..but he also gets time out and toys taken away..spanking is the last resort.
Now you all know I cam from and abusive home, there is a difference and a line you don't cross....
Agreed.
Knowing where that line resides is the key.

Since: Oct 07

San Jose, CA

#9 Jun 13, 2008
I spank my son. I always tried to not spank him, but he has some serious ADHD. I mean his first grade teacher called me and BEGGED me to put him on medication. He's a good kid at heart, but sometimes he forgets his manners or his place. A parent knows when that kind of behavior has gone too far. When a kid just doesn't listen to talking, it is the last resort.

He gets a warning first, unless it is something obviously and deliberately bad. Then he gets spanked, then we make sure he knows how he could have avoided being spanked-we ask "what will you do differently next time?"

With the next kid, if there is a more agreeable personality, it may not be necessary as often. I hope not.
blondee

Buffalo, NY

#10 Jun 13, 2008
sometimes I think you need to get their attention with a smack on the butt. Once you have their attention you can usually deal with them reasonably. You are so right there is a line between abuse and disapline that can not be crossed

Level 1

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#11 Jun 13, 2008
My children are now adults. When they were young I did spank them when they needed it.
Maria Antonia

Jefferson, GA

#12 Jun 13, 2008
I have never spanked any of my children. I wasn't ever spanked as a child.

Since: Apr 08

United States

#13 Jun 13, 2008
A swat on the butt when they won't listen is just fine. Kids test all the time to see how much they can get away with. One quick swat and they know where the line is.
ohioman

Memphis, TN

#14 Jun 14, 2008
I don't believe in "spanking" I believe in "whooping". My parents wooped me and my siblings and we all turned out fine. I don't think everything warents one, but surely when needed they should be given.
David

AOL

#15 Jun 14, 2008
I agree that spanking is abuse as someone else said before. In fact, I used to be spanked as a kid (I'm an adult now) and now, I'm living at home, lonely, always depressed, stress out over the littlest things, have problems in the home...hmmm, maybe spanking is NOT a good thing for kids. Obviously, no two kids are exactly the same, but perhaps parents who hit their kids, especially too often, can sometimes teach them that violence is okay. While I'm not a violent person, I do sometimes have a violent temper when I get angry. My family believes I should take anti-depressants because of this. So, is spanking good? I don't know about your family, but it's not good in mine.

“Knowledge is Power”

Since: Feb 08

Pond Creek, Oklahoma

#16 Jun 14, 2008
David wrote:
I agree that spanking is abuse as someone else said before. In fact, I used to be spanked as a kid (I'm an adult now) and now, I'm living at home, lonely, always depressed, stress out over the littlest things, have problems in the home...hmmm, maybe spanking is NOT a good thing for kids. Obviously, no two kids are exactly the same, but perhaps parents who hit their kids, especially too often, can sometimes teach them that violence is okay. While I'm not a violent person, I do sometimes have a violent temper when I get angry. My family believes I should take anti-depressants because of this. So, is spanking good? I don't know about your family, but it's not good in mine.
Not trying to start a flame war but, you blame spanking for all this grief you now have? I was spanked as a child and I believe it helped me. I've seen the way people I know who weren't have turned out with those that got spanked. Most are spoiled and self absorbed. I'm not saying spanking is needed in every home. But, in today's world; regardless of punishment- parents are way to easy on their kids. My 2 angels get spanked when absolutely needed. There's also a line betting hitting/beating a child and spanking. Sadly, we've let the government define abuse for us. And liberals and adults without kids seem to "know what's right" for everyone. Child abuse is evil, spanking your child is not. Once again, this is a topic that will have to extreme points of view. But, either way; I just pray All parents will actually start raising their kids and stop letting T.V., the internet, & society do it for them.

Since: Oct 07

Daly City, CA

#17 Jun 14, 2008
I think that it's no coincidence that people are increasingly depressed and fat at the same time that they increasingly went to psychologists and blamed their parents for their sadness.

My parents weren't perfect. But you grow up and move on, and accept that they did the best they could, or if had major problems then you don't let them around your kids.

People need to learn to suck it up and live in the present.
David

AOL

#18 Jun 14, 2008
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and people have different opinions about what they believe is right, but I'm just stating what has happened with me and my childhood's history. I'm not here to fight with any of you. But, doesn't it seem that kids nowadays seem to be increasingly more violent? Now, I can't prove it's because parents beat their kids, but I do know that any physical violence towards children is child abuse, whether you agree or not. And, like I said before, hitting your kids may teach them that violence is okay. It's like you tell kids not to hit other kids, but then, you go around hitting them for misbehaving. Set a good example. Parents contradict themselves when they punish kids for misbehaving by hitting them after they tell them that hitting is not good. Like I said, I'm not here to fight with any of you, but doesn't that seem odd when parents do that when you think about it?

Since: Oct 07

Daly City, CA

#19 Jun 14, 2008
David wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and people have different opinions about what they believe is right, but I'm just stating what has happened with me and my childhood's history. I'm not here to fight with any of you. But, doesn't it seem that kids nowadays seem to be increasingly more violent? Now, I can't prove it's because parents beat their kids, but I do know that any physical violence towards children is child abuse, whether you agree or not. And, like I said before, hitting your kids may teach them that violence is okay. It's like you tell kids not to hit other kids, but then, you go around hitting them for misbehaving. Set a good example. Parents contradict themselves when they punish kids for misbehaving by hitting them after they tell them that hitting is not good. Like I said, I'm not here to fight with any of you, but doesn't that seem odd when parents do that when you think about it?
Spanking is not the same as hitting. My child has been spanked on occasion, as a last resot, and he has NEVER been a bully to another kid.

The reason for increased violence is the attitude that people have, that nothing they do is their own fault. It all stems from the parents, right? If a person steals and he is poor then we feel sorry for him. The justice system is failing us miserably. People are being let go to commit more violent acts, and there are subsets of society where that is the norm. Like Oakland, CA. The only cure for that ghetto is a bulldozer.
sam

UK

#20 Jun 14, 2008
i got smacked when i was a kid,,,,

i fell in the river once with a pair of new pants on and that got me a kick up the arse!!

i've got kids myself, and although i don't smack them ,,, i have to say it didn't do me any harm,,,

i've grown up to have a good job, a loving husband and 3 loving kids,,, they tell me everyday.

so while i can defend some parents for hitting their kids as i know i've seen some children out with their parents and their behaviour is dreadful, i can understand parents who don't.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 27
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 22 min T Bone 217,300
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 1 hr Crazy Jae 5,395
Sexual Word Association Game...! (Nov '12) 1 hr Crazy Jae 294
OFFBEAT.keepAword.DropAword.2011edition (Oct '11) 1 hr Crazy Jae 20,789
one word (Apr '11) 1 hr Crazy Jae 7,307
Life is incomplete without ..... (what?) (Feb '14) 1 hr Crazy Jae 804
Two words only please! (Aug '08) 1 hr Crazy Jae 41,348
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 3 hr Crazy Jae 4,099
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 5 hr Brandiiiiiiii 21,942
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 5 hr Dumb and Dumberer 75,318
More from around the web