thank you to the men and women of the...

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#304 Aug 5, 2011
REDNECK HIPPIE wrote:
<quoted text>
I am fortunate, in that I have nothing from the Vietnam war to heal from. I was in the Navy and spent my time in the Gulf of Tonkin, not in country. I was not exposed to the things that the men and women who were in country experienced.
I have had a number of conversations with vets from all branches of the service and different conflicts, from WWII to the current ones, while sitting in the canteen of my local VFW. I maintain that I am a Vietnam Era vet, not a Vietnam vet, because I never was in country and I make a distinction between those who served in the conflict arena and those who served directly in the conflict in country. My fellow vets say that it makes no difference, but i still make that distinction. It is important to me.
It is not that I want to add humor to the Vietnam war. I was making an observation that I have seen sitcoms set in the WWII and Korean wars and wondered if there was ever going to come a time when we would see one from the Vietnam war. I still maintain that humor can and does help heal.
Okay, now I understand where you are coming from. You served on a ship during the Vietnam conflict, your physical body wasn't on the soil. You didn't experience the jungle heat, seeing agent orange hanging from destroyed treetops and entire villages of innocent families wiped out. You were safe and cozy in your shipboard bed, while your friends on land were fighting to stay alive. It is NO difference, you served during the Vietnam conflict, you can't tell me that you were not also affected, Bullsh$t!! Humor, has a place, like on these threads, there are funny threads, they are an escape from a hard day's work. But honestly, have you spoken to your pals that served in Vietnam about your satire views? I have written my views on the subject and stand by my beliefs. I cannot perceive your notion coming about, but perhaps it may with our grown grandchildren. For to them, humor may be a stable daily need in their life, for they shall be in the rebuilding stages of mankind. ROCK ON!

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Rockin' USA ;)

#305 Aug 5, 2011
REDNECK HIPPIE wrote:
<quoted text>
I am being misunderstood. I do not want to make a comedy out of war. I detest war and wish that none of our young men and women ever had to experience it. I was merely making an observation that other wars have been the backdrop for comedy on television and film and I don't recall hearing from veterans, widows and families of those who died in those previous wars found the comedy approach to be wrong in any way. I was making an observation that maybe a little humor could help the nation to heal from the complex things that occurred in and around the Vietnam war.
Sorry I have created such a storm of emotion on a thread that is dedicated to all the men and women who have or are serving with honor in the armed services of the free world.
I will bow out of any further discussion on this subject and just let it die.
Really, just "let it die"! What the subject of Vietnam? Sir, it will never die, as long as there are living vets walking about, widows visiting their husband's graves and their children grown telling stories of their fathers. Why should we let anything about any war "die"? These brave men and women soldiers of today are on the line, fighting for our freedom. With every war fought, we try and learn not to make the same mistakes. Have we succeeded? I cannot say for certain, but what I do see is how proud our American troops are. That is enough for me, a tear does appear and I say a silent prayer to keep them safe. Pick up your shoe and answer the call, it's Agent 99, telling you to get smart and drop your idea. ROCK ON!

“...pretty nice outside...”

Since: Jun 08

...y'all get after it!....

#306 Aug 5, 2011
REDNECK HIPPIE wrote:
<quoted text>
More and more of the old guard are passing on and making room for more enlightened individuals. I am finding that many of the Post, District and State officers are Vietnam vets now, so if you are still interested, give it another try. You will find the camaraderie rewarding.
Which takes me back to my 1st reason for not going. I'm not THAT old yet. Some of these geezers here were in the War of 1812...

=]

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#307 Aug 5, 2011
REDNECK HIPPIE wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Sam, unfortunately, not everyone can forget, or forgive. I know many Vietnam vets who refuse to join the American Legion or Veterans of Foreign Wars organizations, because of the treatment of them by vets of previous conflicts. They were shunned and many were told that they were not welcomed there or were told that they would not be accepted as members. Today, many women are still being told the same thing. it is an uphill battle to change old perceptions.
I think that is one of the reasons that the media and civilian population goes over board in welcoming the current service men and women back. I think the collective guilt about how the men and women were treated during and after the Vietnam war has pushed many to over compensate.
It has been 10 years since 9/11, time marches on and I don't see nearly as many flags flown on cars, patriotic bumper stickers and t-shirts as i did even 5 years ago. Of course, they do break them out at the holiday times, as if to say, we haven't forgotten, then they put them back in the closet till the next time. just like they do the service men and women. They only remember them at the appropriate days and put them on the shelf the rest of the time.
Kind of reminds me of the Easter & Christmas urch going Catholics.

As to the deleted posts, someone on another thread suggested that if we close out too soon after posting a comment, the comment will be lost. Just a thought.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Rockin' USA ;)

#308 Aug 5, 2011
Old Sam wrote:
<quoted text>Pretty much my point exactly. When we first moved here, I was invited to the VFW. I did not want to go, since I thought I wasn't that old yet (chuckling), and put off going. Several years ago, I got another invitation, so I went. It did not take long before I felt a chill in the air. "Yep. You are one of them losin' guys aren't ya? We won OUR war." Blah blah blah. I've never been back.
Bein' a Vietnam era vet is hard work, RH......NO ONE loves us. LOL!
=]
I can attest to that also about the VFW, my husband visited there a couple of times. Came home and when asked how was your experience, he replied " I felt out of place, am more welcomed at the local bar". Why do the Vietnam era veterans to this day feel they have to prove themselves? Why can't vets of other wars recognize them as comrades and let it go. Why has America turned her back on Vietnam vets? It's because the war was political and we lost it, a slap in the face. Yes, boots on the ground did win it, with their hearts and their lives shattered. Those that lived through the Vietnam war years, remember it all, hippie protestors, teenage kids and the vets themselves. Oh, the "love" runs deeply for all that served in that horrific war. We were proud of you then and moreso at present, because you continue to hold your head high. PEACE OUT!

“Just Call It Marriage Now”

Level 8

Since: Sep 08

All rights For All!

#309 Aug 6, 2011
some days, it is so hard to get up earlier to get my points started for the day.

“ASPIRE 2 INSPIRE B4 U EXPIRE”

Level 8

Since: Jul 08

USA

#310 Aug 6, 2011
Old Sam wrote:
<quoted text>Which takes me back to my 1st reason for not going. I'm not THAT old yet. Some of these geezers here were in the War of 1812...
=]
Neither am I. LOL
Seriously Sam, give it a try, you might find that you have a lot in common with them and enjoy yourself.

Level 8

USA

#311 Aug 6, 2011
Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text>Really, just "let it die"! What the subject of Vietnam? Sir, it will never die, as long as there are living vets walking about, widows visiting their husband's graves and their children grown telling stories of their fathers. Why should we let anything about any war "die"? These brave men and women soldiers of today are on the line, fighting for our freedom. With every war fought, we try and learn not to make the same mistakes. Have we succeeded? I cannot say for certain, but what I do see is how proud our American troops are. That is enough for me, a tear does appear and I say a silent prayer to keep them safe. Pick up your shoe and answer the call, it's Agent 99, telling you to get smart and drop your idea. ROCK ON!
Maybe you need to try reading my post again, before going off on a VIETNAM ERA VET. I was referring to the subject of humor, NOT the subject of Vietnam war.
You have a lot of unresolved anger and need to deal with it.

Level 8

USA

#312 Aug 6, 2011
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of reminds me of the Easter & Christmas urch going Catholics.
As to the deleted posts, someone on another thread suggested that if we close out too soon after posting a comment, the comment will be lost. Just a thought.
I am constantly amused by the uber patriotism that appears around the 4th of July, only to be packed into the closet until Memorial Day, when they remember the men and women who served with honor in the armed services and gave their lives for these part time patriots. Then they pack it away again until Veterans Day, when they remember to thank the men and women serving in the armed services in between beers and burgers.

Level 8

USA

#313 Aug 6, 2011
Mrs-Whitewater wrote:
some days, it is so hard to get up earlier to get my points started for the day.
Wake up sleepy head LOL

“I'm not listening.”

Level 9

Since: Feb 10

Hannacroix, NY

#314 Aug 6, 2011
Old Sam wrote:
<quoted text>Which takes me back to my 1st reason for not going. I'm not THAT old yet. Some of these geezers here were in the War of 1812...
=]
LOL, the local chapter back in my hometown was all older guys with the women having the auxiliary chapter. My brothers wife was the first actual female member in the "boys" club. At about 42 years old, she really had those women pissed.

Level 8

USA

#315 Aug 6, 2011
Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, now I understand where you are coming from. You served on a ship during the Vietnam conflict, your physical body wasn't on the soil. You didn't experience the jungle heat, seeing agent orange hanging from destroyed treetops and entire villages of innocent families wiped out. You were safe and cozy in your shipboard bed, while your friends on land were fighting to stay alive. It is NO difference, you served during the Vietnam conflict, you can't tell me that you were not also affected, Bullsh$t!! Humor, has a place, like on these threads, there are funny threads, they are an escape from a hard day's work. But honestly, have you spoken to your pals that served in Vietnam about your satire views? I have written my views on the subject and stand by my beliefs. I cannot perceive your notion coming about, but perhaps it may with our grown grandchildren. For to them, humor may be a stable daily need in their life, for they shall be in the rebuilding stages of mankind. ROCK ON!
It is my firm belief that you have a great deal of unresolved anger about the Vietnam war and how the men and women who served there were and are treated. I think that you walk around with a huge chip on your shoulder and seek out any perceived slight to those men and women and even see slights where there are none.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Rockin' USA ;)

#316 Aug 6, 2011
REDNECK HIPPIE wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you need to try reading my post again, before going off on a VIETNAM ERA VET. I was referring to the subject of humor, NOT the subject of Vietnam war.
You have a lot of unresolved anger and need to deal with it.
I read your post thru and thru, yes, you are a VIETNAM ERA VET. It all goes hand in hand, the Vietnam war and your service DURING the conflict years. Resolved anger, you haven't a clue how I really feel about the treatment of Vietnam vets to this day. I've only given you a snippet of my thoughts. Hey, Redneck Hippie been living in TV Land and watching reruns of Happy Days since your return? Thus, your idea of humor for the Vietnam Era war years comedy sit-coms? Why not watch a Reality Show of today and hang out at a VA hospital, maybe you'll think twice! ROCK ON!

Level 1

Since: Aug 11

Lafayette, LA

#317 Aug 6, 2011
you are welcome for recognizing the VETS i did my 4 active plus two inactive and enjoyed it late 1963 / 1 68

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Rockin' USA ;)

#318 Aug 6, 2011
REDNECK HIPPIE wrote:
<quoted text>
It is my firm belief that you have a great deal of unresolved anger about the Vietnam war and how the men and women who served there were and are treated. I think that you walk around with a huge chip on your shoulder and seek out any perceived slight to those men and women and even see slights where there are none.
You really are the one with the unresolved anger about your Vietnam Era days, don't give me that gruff. You say your pals who were on the ground say it doesn't matter that you were shipboard. You enlisted, probably had college under your belt, thus your officer status. Your pals were either drafted or enlisted to serve their country. Whatever, I don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder, falls off when I dance and then do the stomp on it! No, I just have my opinion of the entire Vietnam war, lived through the years and continue to ask questions like WHY? War is hell, for these young men and women who joined at present or war veterans of previous wars. Upon waking up, just be thankful to all the brave souls who lost their lives for your freedom. One more thing, quit beating yourself up and just LOVE YOURSELF! ROCK ON!

Level 8

USA

#319 Aug 6, 2011
Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text>I read your post thru and thru, yes, you are a VIETNAM ERA VET. It all goes hand in hand, the Vietnam war and your service DURING the conflict years. Resolved anger, you haven't a clue how I really feel about the treatment of Vietnam vets to this day. I've only given you a snippet of my thoughts. Hey, Redneck Hippie been living in TV Land and watching reruns of Happy Days since your return? Thus, your idea of humor for the Vietnam Era war years comedy sit-coms? Why not watch a Reality Show of today and hang out at a VA hospital, maybe you'll think twice! ROCK ON!
I did not create this thread just to watch it devolve into the usual mudslinging thread. I created it to say thank you to the men and women who have or are serving with honor in the armed services of the free world, their families and supporters. So this will be my last post on the subject of humor as a healing force and my last post to you.

Level 8

USA

#320 Aug 6, 2011
shoupic wrote:
you are welcome for recognizing the VETS i did my 4 active plus two inactive and enjoyed it late 1963 / 1 68
Thank you for stopping in and thank you for your service. Hang around and enjoy the company of people who truly appreciate the men and women who have or are serving with honor.

Level 8

USA

#321 Aug 6, 2011
When I woke up this morning and turned on the tv, the first thing I saw was the story of the Chinook helicopter that was shot down with all aboard lost. 31 Americans, 7 Afghans and 1 combat dog.
I grieve for the loss of life and my thoughts are with the families of those young men.

“If you can't beat um join um”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Under the troll bridge

#322 Aug 6, 2011
REDNECK HIPPIE wrote:
When I woke up this morning and turned on the tv, the first thing I saw was the story of the Chinook helicopter that was shot down with all aboard lost. 31 Americans, 7 Afghans and 1 combat dog.
I grieve for the loss of life and my thoughts are with the families of those young men.
RIP good soldiers.

“CANDY IS DANDY”

Level 8

Since: Oct 10

BUT LIQUOR IS QUICKER

#323 Aug 6, 2011
shoupic wrote:
Thank you, from the heart.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Do You Talk To Yourself? 4 min UnderstandPeople 61
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min Agents of Corruption 168,443
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 14 min wichita-rick 165,044
News Florida man arrested after keeping mother's dea... 19 min wichita-rick 6
Word Association (Jun '10) 30 min wichita-rick 28,032
News Mummified Remains Found in Indiana 41 min wichita-rick 6
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 1 hr Princess Hey 8,565
Answer a question with a question 1 hr Crazy Beautiful 176
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 1 hr Jennifer Renee 12,043
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 1 hr cathouse cowboy 140,760