Born: 16 June 1939, Casper, Wyo.
Departed: Yes
Entered Service At: Kansas City, Mo.
G.O. Number:
Date of Issue:
Accredited To:
Place / Date: Kontum Province, Republic of Vietnam, 25 May 1971

Citation

Maj. Adams distinguished himself on 25 May 1971 while serving as a helicopter pilot in Kontum Province in the Republic of Vietnam. On that date, Maj. Adams volunteered to fly a lightly armed helicopter in an attempt to evacuate 3 seriously wounded soldiers from a small fire base which was under attack by a large enemy force. He made the decision with full knowledge that numerous antiaircraft weapons were positioned around the base and that the clear weather would afford the enemy gunners unobstructed view of all routes into the base. As he approached the base, the enemy gunners opened fire with heavy machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades and small arms. Undaunted by the fusillade, he continued his approach determined to accomplish the mission. Displaying tremendous courage under fire, he calmly directed the attacks of supporting gunships while maintaining absolute control of the helicopter he was flying. He landed the aircraft at the fire base despite the ever-increasing enemy fire and calmly waited until the wounded soldiers were placed on board. As his aircraft departed from the fire base, it was struck and seriously damaged by enemy anti-aircraft fire and began descending. Flying with exceptional skill, he immediately regained control of the crippled aircraft and attempted a controlled landing. Despite his valiant efforts, the helicopter exploded, overturned, and plummeted to earth amid the hail of enemy fire. Maj. Adams' conspicuous gallantry, intrepidity, and humanitarian regard for his fellow man were in keeping with the most cherished traditions of the military service and reflected utmost credit on him and the U S. Army.

“ASPIRE 2 INSPIRE B4 U EXPIRE”

Level 8

Since: Jul 08

USA

#3072 Feb 25, 2013
Congressional Medal of Honor recipient

ADKINSON, JOSEPH B.
Organization: U.S. Army
Company: Company C
Division: 119th Infantry, 30th Division
Born: 4 January 1892, Egypt, Tenn.
Entered Service At: Memphis, Tenn.
G.O. Number: 59
Date of Issue: 12/31/1919
Accredited To:
Place / Date: Near Bellicourt, France, 29 September 1918

Citation

When murderous machinegun fire at a range of 50 yards had made it impossible for his platoon to advance, and had caused the platoon to take cover Sgt. Adkinson alone, with the greatest intrepidity, rushed across the 50 yards of open ground directly into the face of the hostile machinegun kicked the gun from the parapet into the enemy trench, and at the point of the bayonet captured the 3 men manning the gun. The gallantry and quick decision of this soldier enabled the platoon to resume its advance.

Level 8

USA

#3073 Feb 25, 2013

ADRIANCE, HARRY CHAPMAN
Organization: U.S. Marine Corps
Company:
Division:
Born: 27 October 1864, Oswego, N.Y.
Entered Service At:
G.O. Number: 55
Date of Issue:
Accredited To: Massachusetts
Place / Date:

Citation

In the presence of the enemy during the battle near Tientsin, China, 13 July 1900, Adriance distinguished himself by meritorious conduct.

Level 8

USA

#3074 Feb 25, 2013

Organization: U.S. Marine Corps
Company:
Division:
Born: 29 January 1925, Racine, Wis.
Entered Service At:
G.O. Number:
Date of Issue:
Accredited To: Wisconsin
Place / Date:

Citation

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the 4th Battalion, 10th Marines, 2d Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Saipan, Marianas Islands, 7 July 1944. When the enemy launched a fierce, determined counterattack against our positions and overran a neighboring artillery battalion, Pfc. Agerholm immediately volunteered to assist in the efforts to check the hostile attack and evacuate our wounded. Locating and appropriating an abandoned ambulance jeep, he repeatedly made extremely perilous trips under heavy rifle and mortar fire and single-handedly loaded and evacuated approximately 45 casualties, working tirelessly and with utter disregard for his own safety during a grueling period of more than 3 hours. Despite intense, persistent enemy fire, he ran out to aid 2 men whom he believed to be wounded marines but was himself mortally wounded by a Japanese sniper while carrying out his hazardous mission. Pfc. Agerholm's brilliant initiative, great personal valor and self-sacrificing efforts in the face of almost certain death reflect the highest credit upon himself and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Level 8

USA

#3075 Feb 25, 2013

Organization: U.S. Navy
Company:
Division:
Born:
Entered Service At: France
G.O. Number: 45
Date of Issue:
Accredited To:
Place / Date: Cherbourg, France, 19 June 1864

Citation

Served on board the U.S.S. Kearsarge when she destroyed the Alabama off Cherbourg, France, 19 June 1864. Carrying out his duties courageously, PmS. Aheam exhibited marked coolness and good conduct and was highly recommended by his divisional officer for gallantry under enemy fire.

Level 8

USA

#3076 Feb 25, 2013

AHERN, WILLIAM
Organization: U.S. Navy
Company:
Division:
Born: 1861, Ireland
Entered Service At:
G.O. Number: 482
Date of Issue:
Accredited To: New York
Place / Date:

Citation

On board the U.S.S. Puritan at the time of the collapse of one of the crown sheets of boiler E of that vessel, 1 July 1897. Wrapped in wet cloths to protect his face and arms, Ahern entered the fireroom, crawled over the tops of the boilers and closed the auxiliary stop valve, disconnecting boiler E and removing the danger of disabling the other boilers.

Level 8

USA

#3077 Feb 25, 2013

ALBANESE, LEWIS
Organization: U.S. Army
Company: Company B, 5th Battalion
Division: 7th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division
Born: 27 April 1946, Venice, Italy
Entered Service At: Seattle, Wash.
G.O. Number: 12
Date of Issue: 04/03/1968
Accredited To:
Place / Date: Republic of Vietnam, 1 December 1966

Citation

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life and beyond the call of duty. Pfc. Albanese's platoon, while advancing through densely covered terrain to establish a blocking position, received intense automatic weapons fire from close range. As other members maneuvered to assault the enemy position, Pfc. Albanese was ordered to provide security for the left flank of the platoon. Suddenly, the left flank received fire from enemy located in a well-concealed ditch. Realizing the imminent danger to his comrades from this fire, Pfc. Albanese fixed his bayonet and moved aggressively into the ditch. His action silenced the sniper fire, enabling the platoon to resume movement toward the main enemy position. As the platoon continued to advance, the sound of heavy firing emanated from the left flank from a pitched battle that ensued in the ditch which Pfc. Albanese had entered. The ditch was actually a well-organized complex of enemy defenses designed to bring devastating flanking fire on the forces attacking the main position. Pfc. Albanese, disregarding the danger to himself, advanced 100 meters along the trench and killed 6 of the snipers, who were armed with automatic weapons. Having exhausted his ammunition, Pfc. Albanese was mortally wounded when he engaged and killed 2 more enemy soldiers in fierce hand-to-hand combat. His unparalleled actions saved the lives of many members of his platoon who otherwise would have fallen to the sniper fire from the ditch, and enabled his platoon to successfully advance against an enemy force of overwhelming numerical superiority. Pfc. Albanese's extraordinary heroism and supreme dedication to his comrades were commensurate with the finest traditions of the military service and remain a tribute to himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

“Hi!”

Level 2

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#3079 Feb 25, 2013
The national flag of the United States of America, often simply referred to as the American flag, consists of thirteen equal horizontal stripes of red (top and bottom) alternating with white, with a blue rectangle in the canton (referred to specifically as the "union") bearing fifty small, white, five-pointed stars arranged in nine offset horizontal rows of six stars (top and bottom) alternating with rows of five stars. The 50 stars on the flag represent the 50 states of the United States of America and the 13 stripes represent the thirteen British colonies that declared independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain and became the first states in the Union.[1] Nicknames for the flag include the "Stars and Stripes", "Old Glory",[2] and "The Star-Spangled Banner."

Level 8

USA

#3082 Feb 26, 2013
Susan A. Raby-Dunne
WE WILL WALK WITH YOU

From the dawn of man, there were guardians:
Honoured citizens, of the Warrior tribe.
They protected us, sometimes had to fight.
Then they healed with us, and were purified.

But they still exist, dont you know that?
Theyre the special ones, who are called to serve.
We still send them off, to fight foreign wars.
Then we let them down, when they come home hurt.

We will walk with you.
We will hear your stories.
We will care for you,
Until you heal your soul.
You belong to us;
We will share your burden.
We will care for you,
Until youre whole again.

In this fractured age, we have lost our way.
We are ignorant, of the seasons turn,
The old rituals, and the circles lost.
For the Blessing Ways, weve begun to yearn.

You come back to us, but youre still in hell.
We could see if we just looked in your eyes.
As societies, we have failed you.
We have turned our backs, on your silent cries.

We will walk with you.
We will care for you,
We will bless your hearts.
We will ease your suffering.
We will bring you back,
Into the light again.

Will you trust us now, to do right by you?
Take your wounded hearts, gently in our hands
And to draw you in, to the old ways,
Of the healing rites, of the tribe of man.

We will walk with you.
We will care for you,
You are part of us.
Youre our sons and daughters.
We will honour you,
When you return again.

And for those who fall, well remember you.
Though your bodys gone, we still see the flame.
We still know you well, from the other side.
Love cannot be killed, and that love remains.
Spirit never dies, and that soul remains.

We will walk with you.
We will care for you,
You belong to us.
Youre our sons and daughters.
We will honour you,
When you return again

Copyright 2008 by Susan A. Raby-Dunne

Level 8

USA

#3083 Feb 26, 2013
Force Majeure s Pimp

United States

#3086 Feb 26, 2013
Force Majeure wrote:
Tribute to American Military 15 Pig Downs Down!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Ee8A_xghbPMXX
It was like, you know, like basically you know, it was bad!
When Yankees Go Down, They Stay Down.
Get back down on my d!ck, hoe!
GET LOST

United States

#3088 Feb 26, 2013
Force Majeure wrote:
<quoted text>
You're vocabulary is improving, Bed Pan, but you don't have to grease him so hard. RedButt's "your boy" without all the foreplay.
Take your gay Spam somewhere else, FREAK.

Level 8

USA

#3089 Feb 26, 2013
PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS, IT ONLY ENCOURAGES THEM.
Shun them, ignore them, deny their existence. Instead, post as many positive, appropriate things as you possibly can, to drown out the lone strident voice of the troll.

Thanks

“Hi!”

Level 2

Location hidden

#3091 Feb 26, 2013
Thanks troops! Thanks for our freedom and freedom of speech!
We can freely criticize the government, the president, private groups and even professions. At the same time we can sing the praises of those things we believe are really phenomenal and positive in this country. That's what freedom of speech is all about. It doesn't mean that you have to agree with everything I say, or that I have to agree with everything you say. It means that we respect each other's right to voice our opinions, even if we disagree. Especially if we disagree, actually. We let the conversation take place, so that individuals can be exposed to many different views, and then decide on their own what they wish to believe. It's a remarkable freedom, and it's crucial that we preserve that freedom. It's one of the best things about living in the United States today.We are proud of all of y'all!!! Love and Hugs :)

“smile and have fun!”

Level 4

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#3092 Feb 26, 2013
It's another beautiful day in the good ole US OF A!!!!

Thank you to all the soldiers fighting to keep it that way and all of the families for their support!!

“Hi!”

Level 2

Location hidden

#3093 Feb 26, 2013
“God bless America, land that I love,
Stand beside her, and guide her,
Through the night, with the light from above,
From the mountains, to the prairies
To the oceans, white with foam
God bless America, my home sweet home,
God bless America! My Home Sweet Home!”–Irving Berlin, God Bless America

Level 8

USA

#3094 Feb 27, 2013
Linda A. Racaniello
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

Many heroes fall during battle
this fight for freedom often costs
these men and women we send to foreign shores
often its these lives that are lost

but they will not be forgotten
we honor those souls that slip away
and know that theyve become angels
in heaven, on this day

The memory of them lives on
as we sleep we see their face
the dreams seem so very real
we often imagine their warm embrace

God has given them free reign
to whisper gently to the trees
to glide effortlessly among the clouds
and dry your tears with a breeze

So as long as we are alive
we will hold them in our hearts
and as long as we can breathe
our heroes will never be apart

So as we bury you with honor
we will grieve, then heal and pray
and even though well miss you
well be reunited in heaven one day

Copyright 2006 by Linda. A. Racaniello
(revised 2008)

Level 8

USA

#3095 Feb 27, 2013
I won't let go- Rascal Flatts (Military Tribute)

“smile and have fun!”

Level 4

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#3097 Feb 27, 2013
The TRUE meaning behind the folding if the American Flag -

Have you ever wondered why the flag of the United States of America is folded 13 times when it is lowered or when it is folded and handed to the widow at the burial of a veteran?

Here is the meaning of each of those folds and what it means to you.

The 'first fold' of our flag is a symbol of life.

The 'second fold' is a symbol of our belief in eternal life.

The 'third fold' is made in honor and remembrance of the veterans departing our ranks who gave a portion of their lives for the defense of our country to attain peace throughout the world.

The 'fourth fold' represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in time of war for His divine guidance.

The 'fifth fold' is a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, "Our Country, in dealing with other countries may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong."

The 'sixth fold' is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States Of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

The 'seventh fold' is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that we protect our country and our flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.

The 'eighth fold' is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor mother, for whom it flies on Mother's Day.

The 'ninth fold' is a tribute to womanhood; for it has been through their faith, their love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great has been molded.

The 'tenth fold' is a tribute to the father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since they were first born.

The 'eleventh fold', in the eyes of a Hebrew citizen represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

The 'twelfth fold', in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit.

When the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost reminding us of our nation's motto, "In God We Trust".
After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington, and the sailors and Marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones, who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for us the rights, privileges, and freedoms we enjoy today.

The next time you see a flag ceremony honoring someone that has served our country, either in the Armed Forces or in our civilian services such as the Police Force or Fire Department, keep in mind all the important reasons behind each and every movement. They have paid the ultimate sacrifice for all of us by honoring our flag and our Country.

“Hi!”

Level 2

Location hidden

#3098 Feb 27, 2013

God Bless The USA
by Lee Greenwood

If tomorrow all the things were gone,
I'd worked for all my life.
And I had to start again,
with just my children and my wife.

I'd thank my lucky stars,
to be livin here today.
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom,
and they can't take that away.

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

From the lakes of Minnesota,
to the hills of Tennessee.
Across the plains of Texas,
From sea to shining sea.

From Detroit down to Houston,
and New York to L.A.
Well there's pride in every American heart,
and its time we stand and say.

That I'm proud to be an American,

And I gladly stand up,
God bless the USA.

And I'm proud to be and American,

And I gladly stand up,
God bless the USA.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 3 min Judy 123 55,244
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 3 min beatlesinafog 138,317
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 4 min Baby Jesus 25,461
Good Night Thread... (Nov '12) 4 min honeymylove 970
OFFBEAT.keepAword.DropAword.2011edition (Oct '11) 5 min andet1987 17,921
4 Word Game (Use Same Letter) 6 min Judy 123 175
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 min SobieskiSavedEurope 131,781
Merry Christmas Topix, Thanks For,...? 18 min -Lea- 70
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr _hellbilly_ 152,344
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 3 hr dragoon70056 37,715