Medication Problems with Voltaren Gel

Medication Problems with Voltaren Gel

Posted in the Weird Forum

The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#1 Mar 17, 2012
The manufacturer of an arthritis medication is denying access to this medication but UNKNOWN reasons and I think the public should know about this. I contacted the manufacturer by email and this was their response.
Good Morning,
Thank you for your email message. We understand that Endo has both Voltaren gel presentations on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date. Please consult your physician regarding possible alternative products to treat your condition.
We continue to work with the firm on supply availability. Thanks.

CDER Drug Shortage

I also contacted the FDA and they stated there is nothing they could do since there is no shortage. There has been NO ASSISTANCE from anyone to give an answer WHY this medication is NOT AVAILABLE to the public. Meanwhile many people who believe and need this medication are left in the dark.
Can anyone help me find out what to do about this as I am in need of this medication and many others are also? Why is my medication being held hostage at the hands of this company?
Call this number and ask they why? 888 463-6332
Jenny

Newport Beach, CA

#2 Mar 17, 2012
Thanks for your email. I work for a compounding pharmacy and I have a solution to your problem; it's a compounded medication that your doctor will have to be comfortable compounding. It is a transdermal base cream that is preferred over Voltaren; it consists of Ketoprofin, Ketamine, Cyclobenzaprine, and Lidocaine. Please email me at jenhov@gmail.com, with your phone or email so I can give your doctor the pharmacist's name who will prescribe this for you. Take care.

Jenny
The Mad Man wrote:
The manufacturer of an arthritis medication is denying access to this medication but UNKNOWN reasons and I think the public should know about this. I contacted the manufacturer by email and this was their response.
Good Morning,
Thank you for your email message. We understand that Endo has both Voltaren gel presentations on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date. Please consult your physician regarding possible alternative products to treat your condition.
We continue to work with the firm on supply availability. Thanks.
CDER Drug Shortage
I also contacted the FDA and they stated there is nothing they could do since there is no shortage. There has been NO ASSISTANCE from anyone to give an answer WHY this medication is NOT AVAILABLE to the public. Meanwhile many people who believe and need this medication are left in the dark.
Can anyone help me find out what to do about this as I am in need of this medication and many others are also? Why is my medication being held hostage at the hands of this company?
Call this number and ask they why? 888 463-6332

“Be nice or go away.”

Level 1

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#3 Mar 17, 2012
Either it has caused some horrific side effect, or they're just not making enough money on it. Otherwise, it wouldn't be such a big secret.
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#4 Mar 26, 2012
Why is this company holding my medication hostage? I found something that helps, I like it and now getting access seems to be forbidden by this company. They are the only manufacturers of this medication and I am not going to take the chance to buy something on line. I just want my medication. Seems no one else has this problem so suffer with arthritis like I do and see when you need your medication and the company gives you the run around, what you will do about it!
Squibb

Huntington, NY

#5 Mar 26, 2012
The Mad Man wrote:
Why is this company holding my medication hostage? I found something that helps, I like it and now getting access seems to be forbidden by this company. They are the only manufacturers of this medication and I am not going to take the chance to buy something on line. I just want my medication. Seems no one else has this problem so suffer with arthritis like I do and see when you need your medication and the company gives you the run around, what you will do about it!
Use Neosporin instead. It's the same stuff but they charge you much more.
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#6 Mar 26, 2012
According to the website this medication has been released to the public but I cannot get it at my pharmacy. I am awaiting further word from the company.
Voltaren gel 1%(Diclofenac Sodium Topical Gel)

(2/8/2012-3/23/2012)
Novartis Consumer Health, Inc.
1-800-452-0051 or 1-888-477-2403 Manufacturer started to release Voltaren Gel 1% today (March 23, 2012). No further supply issues anticipated.
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#7 Mar 28, 2012
The Mad Man wrote:
According to the website this medication has been released to the public but I cannot get it at my pharmacy. I am awaiting further word from the company.
Voltaren gel 1%(Diclofenac Sodium Topical Gel)
(2/8/2012-3/23/2012)
Novartis Consumer Health, Inc.
1-800-452-0051 or 1-888-477-2403 Manufacturer started to release Voltaren Gel 1% today (March 23, 2012). No further supply issues anticipated.
The FDA is claiming that since there is no shortage and the company has 'released' the medication to the public, there is nothing more they can do. The company is back peddling with no answers why this medication is taking so long to hit the shelves and the FDA claims this is not their responsibility.
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#8 Apr 1, 2012
The Mad Man wrote:
<quoted text>
The FDA is claiming that since there is no shortage and the company has 'released' the medication to the public, there is nothing more they can do. The company is back peddling with no answers why this medication is taking so long to hit the shelves and the FDA claims this is not their responsibility.
This medication STILL is NOT being released to the people who need it. NSAID's oral medication DO NOT work on the nerves which cause pain. This topical for unknown reasons works for me, enough to get sleep at night and NOW I cannot get this medication because the company (Novartis Endo Pharmaceuticals 888 463-6332) is back peddling with no answers as to why this medication is NOT being released. I just want the medication that works for me!
Jeff

Oakville, Canada

#9 Apr 2, 2012
There are other NSAIDs on the market. Pennsaid for example works as well and better than voltaren. Higher % dosage, better job preventing the pain. Who knows how long the shortage will last.
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#10 Apr 3, 2012
Jeff wrote:
There are other NSAIDs on the market. Pennsaid for example works as well and better than voltaren. Higher % dosage, better job preventing the pain. Who knows how long the shortage will last.
The company will not respond to why there is a problem with this medication. The FDA cannot help and have taken any information about this drug off their website. This company is the only one that manufactures this medication so why is my medication being held hostage?
InPain

Toronto, Canada

#11 Apr 3, 2012
Can someone post of this forum when they get a prescription for Voltaren filled. I'm out, however, all the pharmacys I have called do not have Voltaren in stock and most are thinking it will still be a few months before they get any. Thanks.
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#12 Apr 5, 2012
InPain wrote:
Can someone post of this forum when they get a prescription for Voltaren filled. I'm out, however, all the pharmacys I have called do not have Voltaren in stock and most are thinking it will still be a few months before they get any. Thanks.
I have called the company with no results, I have called the FDA and they respond by saying they cannot do anything except report the shortage and I am asking for media coverage because our medication should not be held hostage by the drug companies. I am getting no where! I need others to speak up to the news media about this. I have postings all over the websites, I have contacted 20/20, local news medial and anyone I could but no one seems to care that this medication helps and I am not getting help anywhere else. I need people to speak up! I can't do anymore than what I have already, sorry!
Read about this Pennsaid medication and it appears to be stronger but in some type of liquid form which is messy. May call my doctor to get this script since I have no other choice.
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#13 Apr 15, 2012
I did receive a supply of Voltaren gel but my pharmacy stated this is a shortage that remains in effect for unknown reasons. This notice was posted by the company dated Feb 2012.
Dear Pharmacist,
The intent of this letter is to provide you with notice of a short-term disruption in our supply of Voltaren® Gel (diclofenac sodium topical gel) 1%.
As a brief background, production of Voltaren Gel has been temporarily suspended by our manufacturer to allow implementation of manufacturing process improvements. As a result of these improvements, we anticipate that there may be a short-term disruption in the supply of these products to patients. This temporary supply disruption is not related to the efficacy or safety of Voltaren Gel. We anticipate the market will be re-supplied by early second quarter 2012.
Traveller

Washington, DC

#14 Apr 17, 2012
I was in Italy last week and found volteran gel in the pharmacy OTC. You had to speak with the pharmacist as most things are behind the counter, but no prescription needed and the cost was 6 euro a tube!

In Europe topical NSAID creams are common and readily available OTC.
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#15 Apr 17, 2012
Traveller wrote:
I was in Italy last week and found volteran gel in the pharmacy OTC. You had to speak with the pharmacist as most things are behind the counter, but no prescription needed and the cost was 6 euro a tube!
In Europe topical NSAID creams are common and readily available OTC.
That doesn't help me get the medication I need here. If I am ever in Italy, I will check into this. For now this company needs to be exposed for the lack of care and concern that they are holding this drug hostage. They are the only manufacturer it seems and this medication works for me, until I could not get it anymore. I am not willing to 'buy' on line or try a new drug that my medicare does not cover. Seems Pennsaid is one that is not covered by medicare. So we all have to suffer?
I have tried all the NSAID's over the years, including shots, steroid injections, epidurals and surgeries. My last surgery was somewhat successful but the doctors (man of them) have told me, I may never be out of pain completely. So why do I have to suffer at the hands of the drug company who find new ways of delaying this product for 'manufacturer reasons' or some such nonsense. They make enough money off this medication and if not, they need to find out why. Many doctors will not prescribe this medication because it is so expensive. Apparently there is not enough money for other drug companies to take on the challenge of manufacturing this medication under another drug company name which again leaves us at the hands of this drug company.
I don't care what the excuse is, it is my medication and I want it now!
Today

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Aug 25, 2012
Voltaren gel was made at the same factory as EXCEDRIN. The factory was shut down because consumers found pieces of a prescription painkiller in some bottles of Excedrin and all Excedrin has been pulled from the shelves. That is why there is a shortage of Voltaren. My doctor says they hope Voltaren will be manufactured again when the factory is cleared to be restarted.
Leticia

Florence, KY

#18 Apr 2, 2013
Voltaren, good offer.
I have http://bit.ly/WMfpzF for about 5 years and find their products to be reliable and speedily delivered.
Excellent service, lowest price.

Judged:

13

13

13

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Level 2

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#19 Apr 2, 2013
Can anyone help me find out what to do about this as I am in need of this medication and many others are also? Why is my medication being held hostage at the hands of this company?
Sam

Swift Current, Canada

#20 Apr 18, 2013
Just get a prescription and let pharmacy made one for u
Voltaren Gel

Huntington, NY

#21 Apr 18, 2013
OMG!!!!

Help!!!

I'm being held hostage by my maker!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Impluses of The Moment,... 2 min Sandy 16
Is It Past Your Bedtime Yet? 8 min Sandy 2
Thought Police to Wiretap Dream Sleep (Dec '08) 1 hr brooke 14
The Next Person Game (Mar '11) 1 hr Brandiiiiiiii 10,781
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr Brandiiiiiiii 7,155
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 1 hr Brandiiiiiiii 12,805
**4 Syllable Word A-Z** (Jul '12) 1 hr Brandiiiiiiii 1,061
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 5 hr CJ Rocker 228,422
noticed it was red 5 hr Crazy Jae 98
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 6 hr aka Deja Blue 151,114
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 6 hr Camilla 34,764
More from around the web