Is "Chicago style pizza" actually pizza?

Posted in the Weird Forum

Anonymous

Sharon Springs, NY

#1 Feb 19, 2014
Objection, your honor!

A city pizzeria owner has thrown down a deep dish taunt to blowhard Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia: Put your mouth where my pizza is.

One day after the Queens-raised Scalia famously dissed an entire region of the nation by decrying Chicago-style pizza as “not pizza,” a fired-up Emmett Burke defended the 2-inch thick pies he churns out at his pie shop, Emmett’s.

“New Yorkers have the inferiority complex because the Chicago pizza is getting strong,” says Burke, a Midwestern transplant who opened his MacDougal St. eatery late last year to far better reviews than the one rendered by the High Court’s bombastic jurist.

Burke is so convinced his Chicago-style deep dish is superior that he’s willing to double down on his challenge to Scalia — by asking the Chief Justice of the Supreme Pizza Court of the United States to issue the final ruling:“Scalia can bring in his favorite New York pizza and we’ll bring ours — and we can have Jon Stewart taste it,” Emmett says.

The Queens-born Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, seen in 2011, once quipped that Chicago pies are a 'f--king casserole' and 'tomato sauce in a bread bowl.'.
Level 5

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#2 Feb 19, 2014
I think it's more like tons of bread!
Anonymous

Sharon Springs, NY

#3 Feb 19, 2014
Ditto...I grew up eating ny pizza and even worked in a pizza shop at one point, and after doing the dishes for a month, I became a pizza maker. I had to learn to toss the dough and how to "Do it right" as my boss (who I could barely understand because he had a really thick Italian accent) would say. There is a pizza shop somewheres in manhattan I love, it's the absolute best, but I can't recall the name. It might be Lombardi's, but I'm unsure. Chicago pizza is just gross to me...now that I'm talking about pizza, I think I'll head put later to buy one...
Anonymous

Sharon Springs, NY

#4 Feb 19, 2014
Oops I meant I'll head out later to get one!
Level 5

Location hidden

#5 Feb 19, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
Ditto...I grew up eating ny pizza and even worked in a pizza shop at one point, and after doing the dishes for a month, I became a pizza maker. I had to learn to toss the dough and how to "Do it right" as my boss (who I could barely understand because he had a really thick Italian accent) would say. There is a pizza shop somewheres in manhattan I love, it's the absolute best, but I can't recall the name. It might be Lombardi's, but I'm unsure. Chicago pizza is just gross to me...now that I'm talking about pizza, I think I'll head put later to buy one...
Why do they make it so thick???
Anonymous

Sharon Springs, NY

#6 Feb 19, 2014
Spirit67_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do they make it so thick???
They make it the way they like they're women out there lol!
Level 5

Location hidden

#7 Feb 19, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
They make it the way they like they're women out there lol!
Women in Chicago are plump?
Anonymous

Sharon Springs, NY

#8 Feb 19, 2014
Spirit67_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Women in Chicago are plump?
Not really... At least I don't think.

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#9 Feb 19, 2014
You've all never had a Chicago pizza if you think the dough is thick. It's not the dough that is thick ... it's the cheese and toppings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_pi...

Who doesn't like more cheese?

FWIW, the most popular pizza in Chicago is actually the thin style shown in the link, which I also think is better than NY style.

IMO all NY style pizza tastes like Sbarros at the food court in the mall. It's okay, but I prefer a thin crust or a deep dish.
DILF

Medford, NY

#11 Feb 20, 2014
I have yet to eat pizza that tasted better than NY pizza.

OK, now I'm fricken hungry!!!!
Level 5

Location hidden

#12 Feb 20, 2014
I wonder if they make Chicago style pizza in the South; not that I would want any, but curious! To much breading for me....

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#13 Feb 20, 2014
There is probably a pizza shop somewheres in the south that serves either style of pizza, just like they serve southern style food in the north.

Since: Oct 09

over here <-------->

#14 Feb 20, 2014
Having traveled all over, I've found most pizza is similar. more or less toppings, more or less cheese, more or less sauce. etc. Chicago style is different: sloppier, more gooey, and more cheese. I like it!

Level 8

Location hidden

#15 Feb 20, 2014
There is one place by me that has a chicago style deep dish, but I haven't tried it (just found out about it). I'm not sure if it is real chicago style or an imposter, which usually just has a bunch of bread (I agree with Spirit … those are gross) as that wiki article says:

"Although the entire pizza is very thick, in traditional Chicago-style deep-dish pizzas, the crust itself is thin to medium in thickness, not to be confused with imitations created outside Chicago which use a much thicker crust."

So, a real deep dish should only have thin to medium thickness crust.

Level 8

Location hidden

#16 Feb 20, 2014
I bought my blackstone pizza oven because most everything around here is NY style, which is not bad, but not what I prefer.

I have the Chicago thin style down (I like the crust really thin … no more than an 1/8 of an inch and crispy, not flappy like a NY style). With that down, I’m going to perfect the Chicago deep dish. I’m going to use this guy’s recipe:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php...

If you check out the photos, that’s what a Chicago style deep dish pizza looks like. So good.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#17 Feb 20, 2014
made in Chicago ............ enough said
Alias

Jackson, MO

#18 Feb 20, 2014
There isn't much you can do wrong with a pizza of your choice.
There are specialty shops that make every imaginable style including
the type of crust they use and what seasonings or stuffing they like.
They'll put any topping you want on them and there is sure to be one you haven't begun to imagine.

I like pizza .. I prefer it thick and I do like Chicago style, but New York
style is just as pleasing to me. I've traveled and I'm hard pressed to
even create a pizza that someone hasn't already.

Unless it's terribly cooked, I'm not going to turn down a slice if you offer, especially when I'm hungry. Yum:)

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#19 Feb 20, 2014
You've never had ny style pizza until you've had Lombardi's.
Level 5

Location hidden

#20 Feb 21, 2014
MJS14 wrote:
There is probably a pizza shop somewheres in the south that serves either style of pizza, just like they serve southern style food in the north.
I just wanted to see what it looked like in real life!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"man" words 4 min Judy 123 663
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 5 min pusherman_ 851
motorcycle traveling stories 6 min LMCLTAO 562
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 min Agents of Corruption 160,946
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 10 min Judy 123 1,463
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 12 min I Am No One_ 161,440
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 13 min Grace Nerissa 31,778
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 39 min -Clarity- 8,347
Things that make life eaiser... 3 hr MrsGladToBeMe 110
More from around the web