Is God really the "good guy"?
Independent

United States

#63 Feb 8, 2014
porta prince wrote:
Don't be putting x's and o's on me posts...
I know most of you better than you know yourselves...so quit running away from me, and instead embrace me...you know who you are...
Oh, so you are the "good guy"
Thanks ever so much for clearing that up.
I shall sleep better tonight.

:^`P

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#64 Feb 8, 2014
porta prince wrote:
Don't be putting x's and o's on me posts...
I know most of you better than you know yourselves...so quit running away from me, and instead embrace me...you know who you are...
(wasnt me...lol)
It's pretty much a redundancy to me at this point, but I have nothing better to do right now...

You seem up for a conversation...so what are we talking about here?

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#65 Feb 8, 2014
Ask this question on a religious themed forums (Protestant/Catholic/Jewish/Is am/Hindu/etc.

Ask on an Atheist forum.

Evaluate the responses.

Draw your own conclusions and ask more questions.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#66 Feb 8, 2014
Jenji wrote:
for<quoted text>
Well, lots of well thought and salient talking points! It's so refreshing to read something other than ranting by "God haters" or "doctors" (purporting to spout REALITY...) I can't help but keep coming full circle to the position that either it's true or it's not, if it is true you'd better be on board with Him and if not – it doesn't matter! I keep thinking about people who are professed atheists, etc., who will one day die and then end up at a judgment and think "... oh crap, I got it wrong". And likewise, if the atheists are right [which BTW I don't personally think they are] then it doesn't matter what you think, or believe. Once the electrochemical responses in your brain cease, the "lightbulb will be turned off" and that's that. I personally wish I could believe that, it would be much more comforting to think that when it's over it's over – not, when it's over there is more stuff to contend with. ALSO AND FURTHERMORE what do you think about the idea that heaven is not an eternal place, but a 'waiting room' until the Earth passes away, and God creates the new earth? That's what I think, although I am admittedly very far from being a biblical scholar, LOL! Hey, we're all in this together just muddling through best we can.
Hello Jenji. As you can see, I am Richard. You also might recognize me by "Non believer". This was my first foray into the "offbeat" forum. It appears to be renamed now though. I had been warned about this place by others and decided to use non believer as a test subject to see if this was a site that I felt comfortable posting in under my registered account. It appears as though I, as some seem to think, am someone else. Well, that's their problem not mine.

On to the subject at hand. "Is god good or bad"? I wouldn't know. How can one form an opinion about what they don't believe in? My purpose in joining this discussion was merely to interject a differing perception of "good and bad". My thoughts are not intended to pursuade anyone that god doesn't exist. That would be fool hearty at best. There is no proof for or against a god. It is ones personal belief. However, I will speak out against "religion". I draw a distinction between having "faith" and having "religion". Religion, being man made, only serves to enrichen the church monetarily. Faith on the other hand, is merely the belief that there is a higher power in the universe. I will vehemently defend the right to have faith. I will however, call out those that claim to have religion. And you see what happened when I did that. I am now someone with whom I am not. I am now labeled a child abuser. I am now labeled a stalker. A person of faith would never do those things. But a person with religion will. They could not and still can't answer the fundamental question. "If god is good, why create evil 'before' creating man if for no other reason that to cause man to sin and therefor be damned to an eternity of pain and suffering?" By supposedly being omniscient, he already knew the outcome of such an action. It's not a hard question to understand. But those with religion can't or won't try to debate it. If god gave man the ability of "free will" then man also has the ability to reason logically. And in this case, logic dictates that god is "bad". It not all that hard.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#67 Feb 8, 2014
There are 3 places to life...
1...ignorance...childhood..car efree such beauty there
2...responsibility..this is where each of us finds, or, defines their soul..their existence to themselves...if one can't move passed this place..they are really lost.

3...mortality..it will come..it is what we/you are...and unfortunately... if one can't move passed this place..they are really lost.

The ones that realize these things and still are able to live...that is what makes it all so fun, so worth it..not some deity on which to pay penance ..

Location hidden

#68 Feb 8, 2014
It reminds me of a joke I heard many years ago where a missionary who goes to the jungle and finds a tribe that has had no contact with the outside world.
The missionary decides that these people must be "saved" and proceeds to preach religion to them.
One day, an old man from the tribe comes to the missionary and asks him.
"Is it true that god punishes all sinners?"
Yes the missionary says.
"And because we don't wear clothes, we are sinners?"
Again the missionary says yes.
"And since we don't go to church and pray, we are sinners?"
Once again the answer was yes.
"So because of that, I am going to hell?"
Yes said the missionary.
"Would I still go to hell if I didn't know about god?"
Of course not said the missionary.
"Then why did you tell me about him?"

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#69 Feb 8, 2014
Richard Barlow wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Jenji. As you can see, I am Richard. You also might recognize me by "Non believer". This was my first foray into the "offbeat" forum. It appears to be renamed now though. I had been warned about this place by others and decided to use non believer as a test subject to see if this was a site that I felt comfortable posting in under my registered account. It appears as though I, as some seem to think, am someone else. Well, that's their problem not mine.
On to the subject at hand. "Is god good or bad"? I wouldn't know. How can one form an opinion about what they don't believe in? My purpose in joining this discussion was merely to interject a differing perception of "good and bad". My thoughts are not intended to pursuade anyone that god doesn't exist. That would be fool hearty at best. There is no proof for or against a god. It is ones personal belief. However, I will speak out against "religion". I draw a distinction between having "faith" and having "religion". Religion, being man made, only serves to enrichen the church monetarily. Faith on the other hand, is merely the belief that there is a higher power in the universe. I will vehemently defend the right to have faith. I will however, call out those that claim to have religion. And you see what happened when I did that. I am now someone with whom I am not. I am now labeled a child abuser. I am now labeled a stalker. A person of faith would never do those things. But a person with religion will. They could not and still can't answer the fundamental question. "If god is good, why create evil 'before' creating man if for no other reason that to cause man to sin and therefor be damned to an eternity of pain and suffering?" By supposedly being omniscient, he already knew the outcome of such an action. It's not a hard question to understand. But those with religion can't or won't try to debate it. If god gave man the ability of "free will" then man also has the ability to reason logically. And in this case, logic dictates that god is "bad". It not all that hard.
At first I was going to reply tl;dr.

Then I read your post.

Topix is neither a confessional booth nor a reliable army to gather to your cause.

On the plus side - you posted.

IMO, a brave step.

Prepare yourself endure the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune that is a public forum.

But you can choose your battles by posting or not posting.

Level 2

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#70 Feb 8, 2014
AND WHEN I DIE
Album : Greatest Hits
Blood, Sweat, & Tears

I'm not scared of dying,
And I don't really care.
If it's peace you find in dying,
Well then let the time be near.
If it's peace you find in dying,
And if dying time is here,
Just bundle up my coffin
'Cause it's cold way down there.
I hear that its cold way down there.
Yeah, crazy cold way down their.

Chorus:

And when I die, and when I'm gone,
There'll be one child born
In this world to carry on,
to carry on.

Now troubles are many, they're as deep as a well.
I can swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.
Swear there ain't no heaven and I pray there ain't no hell,
But I'll never know by living, only my dying will tell.
Yes only my dying will tell.
Yeah, only my dying will tell.

Chorus

Give me my freedom for as long as I be.
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me,
And all I ask of dying is to go naturally.
Oh I want to go naturally.

Here I go,
Hey Hey!
Here comes the devil,
Right Behind.
Look out children,
Here he comes!
Here he comes! Hey...

Don't want to go by the devil.
Don't want to go by demon.
Don't want to go by Satan,
Don't want to die uneasy.
Just let me go naturally.

and when I die,
When I'm dead, dead and gone,
There'll be one child born in our world to carry on,
To carry on.
Yeah, yeah...

http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/a/and...
Ozzie

Lafayette, CA

#71 Feb 9, 2014
Curious

Jackson, MO

#72 Feb 9, 2014
Ozzie wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =DEpo4R76A4kXX
~Ozzie
Marion Williams - Lord, this is a mean ol' world.
Got that right.

Brilliant, agree and touching.

Every time I think I've come to a conclusion on what I'm to believe or have faith in,
the next teacher steps in and says something just different enough to start my doubt
all over again. That and my mother is the most hateful woman I've ever met and she
insists I am satan's and am headed straight for hell. It's confusing to read the bible
and then find so few examples to follow and I swear, my difficulties doubled when I
started attending church as an adult. Christians (some) are so thoughtless, selfish and
mean and rarely show a clue they know what Jesus would do. They couldn't be
convicted in a court of law of being a Christian... there wouldn't be enough proof.

So, is God the "Good Guy"?? I don't like to be forced into doing something. The way
I see it, God said, "Love me or go to hell". Hell, if I don't have a choice and since I
think life is hell on earth ...%$#JRK l

Level 6

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#73 Feb 9, 2014
Good is subjective. He's the one in charge ...so we have to say yes.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#74 Feb 9, 2014
Islander wrote:
I hear God can be all right guy, just if you piss him off he can make your existence a living hell.
Temperamental, huh?

“Towards Christmas.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

‘

#75 Feb 10, 2014
HE'S TOO mysterious...
to judge..
there are somethings about the Universe that are
just TOO complicated
to make a judgment on,

but, for argument sake, I often wonder,
if HE is ALL powerful ALL good and caring,
why, he didn't give other animals a voice,
so that when they are in pain, like us,
they can tell someone.

Just a thought.

Since: Jan 07

Location Shown

#76 Feb 10, 2014
Non believer wrote:
I have read the bible. Many times. The problem with having a debate with religious people is, the majority of religious persons have no idea what the bible says. There always comes a time, when those that don't know what is in the bible, tell the person that they are debating with to "read a bible". I have. That's why I'm a non believer. The bible itself makes it's own case for religion being BS. Religion is illogical. For a god who is supposedly omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent, that also claims to "love" you, his actions contradict what is claimed in the bible.
I find it interesting that you skirt the issue that god, who supposedly knew all that would transpire for all eternity, not only followed thru with his plan to create the universe but created evil "before" doing so. You do remember "satan" don't you? He was created by god "before" the universe was created. That single action shows "forethought of malice". How else could Adam have sinned unless evil was present "before" creation. And being omniscient, god new that Adam would "sin", yet still created the universe and man. So he knew that by creating evil first, mankind would sin and he wanted a place to torture the sinners which he himself created. That would equate to a couple having children for the express purpose of abusing them. Nothing "good" about that would you say.

Believe in the Bible, do ya Karl?

I don't understand all of it, but I reckon I understand a good deal of it.

phaines

Kalispell, MT

#77 Feb 10, 2014
Big Time wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...no,he created us for his amusement ....

Location hidden

#78 Feb 10, 2014
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
At first I was going to reply tl;dr.
Then I read your post.
Topix is neither a confessional booth nor a reliable army to gather to your cause.
On the plus side - you posted.
IMO, a brave step.
Prepare yourself endure the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune that is a public forum.
But you can choose your battles by posting or not posting.
Normally, I don't post in this part of topix. Someone had mentioned that when they went to the offbeat thread, it had been renamed "Weird". I couldn't pass up a look at a forum named Weird. But any way. What I had heard and of what I've seen of this place, they weren't wrong in their description of it. I can't wait to see just how many different posters they'll claim I am, and who's stalker I'll become. And lest we forget, I am also a child abuser. Just gotta love the net.

Location hidden

#79 Feb 10, 2014
Big Time wrote:
<quoted text>
And which "Karl" would that be?
Karl Kruger,
Karl Peterson,
Karl Klienschmidt,
Karl Malden,
which "Karl" does your unknowing mind think I am? To see another poster in every other poster, shows a lack of intelligence on your part. If you had bothered to read, you would have seen that I explained who I actually was. But instead, you fall back on a poster that so obviously has a profound effect on your ability to think straight. You should seek out professional help for that.

Your claim to understand "a good bit" of the bible is contradictory at best. Any logical person who has read the bible can only come to one conclusion about religion. It's BS! If you had indeed read it, and if you are a believer, then you would know that you and the other false christians on here, that are making false claims that I am someone else, are indeed "sinning".

As was put too me in another post on this thread. "Read the bible". It's quite a fantastic "fictional" tale. For the ladies out there, pay special attention to Leviticus. Remember this after reading it. Christian fundies are pushing for Lavitical law in the U.S. Won't that be just peachy.

Location Shown

#80 Feb 10, 2014
I reckon what yousa wantin' to know is why I'm in here. Reckon the reason I'm in here is cause I've killed somebody, mhm. But I reckon what yousa wantin' to know is how come mea killed somebody, so I'll start at the front and tell ye, mhm... I lived out back of my mother and father's place mosta my life in a little old shed that my daddy had built fur me, mhm. They didn't too much want me up there in the house with the rest of 'em, mhm. So mustley I just sat around out there in the shed and looked at the ground, mhm. I didn't have no floor out there, but I had me a hole dug out to lay down in. Quilt or two tu put down there, mhm. My father was a hard workin' man most of his life. Not that I can say the same for myself. I mostly just sat around out there in the shed, tinkerin' with a lawn mower or two. Went to school off and on from time to time, but the children out there, very cruel to me, made quite a bit a sport of me, make fun of me quite a bit. So mostly, I just sat around out there. In the shed. My daddy worked down there at the saw mill, the plainer mill, for an old man named Dixon. Old man Dixon was very cruel feller. Didn't treat his employees very well, didn't pay 'em too much a wage, didn't pay my daddy too much a wage. Just barely enough to get by on, I reckon, mhm. But I reckon he got by alright. Hmm. I used to come out, one or the other of 'em. Usually my mother, feed me pretty regular, mhm. I know he made enough where I could have mustard and biscuits three or four times a week. Mhm. But old man Dixon, he had a boy. His name was Jesse Dixon. Jesse was really more cruel than his daddy was. He used to make quite a bit a sport with me, when i was down there at the school house. he used to take advantage of little girls there in the neighborhood an' all. He used to say that my mother was a very pretty woman. He said that quite a bit from time to time when I'd be down there at the school house. Well... I reckon you want me tu get on with it and tell you what happened, so I reckon I'll tell ye. I was sittin' out there in the shed one evening, not doin' too much of nothin', just starrin' at the wall, waitin' on my mother to come out and give me my Bible lesson. Mhm. Well, I heard a commotion up there in the house. Mhm. So I run up on the screened-in porch to see what was a-goin' on. I looked in the window there and saw my mother layin' on the floor without any clothes on, hmm. Mhm-hmm. I seen Jesse Dixon layin' on top of her, hmm. He was havin' his way with her. Hmm. Well, I just seen red. I picked up a Kaiser Blade that was sittin' there by the screen door. Some folks call it a Sling Blade, I call it a Kaiser Blade. It's kindly a wood handle, kind of like an axe handle. With a long blade on it shaped kinda like a bananer. Mhm. Sharp on one edge, and dull on the other. Mhm. It's what the highway boys use to cut down weeds and whatnot. Well, I went in there, in the house, and I hit Jesse Dixon upside the head with it, knocked him off my mother, mhm. I reckon that didn't quite satisfy me. So I hit him again with it in the neck, the sharp edge, and just plumb near cut his head off, killed him. My mother she jumped up and started hollerin' "What'd you kill Jesse fur? What'd you kill Jesse fur?" Well... come to find out I don't think my mother minded what Jesse was a-doin' to her. I reckon that made me madder that what Jesse'd made me. So I take the Kaiser Blade, some folks call it a Sling Blade, I call it a Kaiser Blade, and I hit my mother upside the head with it. Killed her.

Location hidden

#81 Feb 10, 2014
Big Time wrote:
Rambling removed for space constraints.
Well, we know you can copy what you hear. Polly want a cracker?

Location Shown

#82 Feb 10, 2014
Your claim to understand "a good bit" of the bible is contradictory at best

You ain't the sharpest Knife in the Drawer,

Are Ya now,...??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 4 min SweLL GirL 15,228
News Trump's bizarre claim that the Clinton email co... 5 min Turnip 997
Last Word is First Word (no "breast" word please) (Jul '15) 11 min Poppyann 1,430
On Point 13 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 30 min SweLL GirL 5,329
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 34 min andet1987 35,632
Post any FOUR words (Feb '16) 49 min andet1987 2,377
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr -ZAMASU- 206,951
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 2 hr Poppyann 10,572
All Christmas Carols/Songs and Quotes.. 5 hr Right On Point 54
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 7 hr Enzo49 67,138
More from around the web