Weird and weirder: The NRA disavows i...

Weird and weirder: The NRA disavows its temporary bout with sanity

There are 4 comments on the Post-gazette.com story from Jun 10, 2014, titled Weird and weirder: The NRA disavows its temporary bout with sanity. In it, Post-gazette.com reports that:

Call us crazy, but the pro-gun activists in Texas who have taken to brandishing semiautomatic weapons in fast-food restaurants seem outside what the Founding Fathers intended when the Second Amendment was written.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Post-gazette.com.

Sk nim

Ashburn, VA

#1 Jun 10, 2014
I want 2 wait
Instigator

Bridgeport, NY

#3 Jun 10, 2014
Here is one excellent reason that some Texans may not care what some media agendas are, or other people's opinion may be on the subject.

Suzanna Hupp and her parents were having lunch at the Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen in 1991 when the Luby's massacre commenced. The gunman shot 50 people in all, killing 24 of them. Of those fatally wounded, two included both of Hupp's parents. Hupp later expressed regret about deciding to remove her gun from her purse and lock it in her car, lest she risk possibly running afoul of the state's concealed weapons laws; during the shootings, she reached for her weapon but then remembered that it was "a hundred feet away in my car." Her father, Al Gratia, feeling he "needed to do something", tried to rush the gunman and sadly was fatally shot in the chest instead. Hupp, eventually seeing an escape through a broken window (broken by the shoulder of another horrified, fleeing victim), grabbed her mother by the shirt telling her "Come on, we have to go now!" As Hupp moved toward the only escape, she believed her mother to be following behind. However, upon reaching the safety of outside, she then realized her Mother, Ursula Gratia had stayed behind for some reason. Hupp was told soon after the incident that her mother had instead watched her daughter get to safety and then turned to her Husband. Ursula stayed by the side of her mortally-wounded husband, cradling him as he slipped away. Al Gratia died almost instantly. Ursula Gratia had time to glance up at the gunman afterward and back down at her husband when the crazed man then shot her in the head at point-blank range, killing her instantly.

Hupp was 32-years-old at the time of Luby's massacre. As a survivor of the Luby's massacre, Hupp testified across the country in support of concealed-handgun laws. She said that if there had been a second chance to prevent the slaughter, she would have violated the Texas law and carried the handgun inside her purse into the restaurant that day and it being highly likely she would also still have her parents with her today.

This poor woman who lost her parents, went on to become a former Republican member of the Texas House of Representatives, who represented traditionally Democratic District 54 (Bell, Burnet, and Lampasas counties) for ten years from 1997-2007. After surviving the Luby's massacre in 1991, Hupp became a leading advocate of an individual's right to carry a concealed weapon. She was elected to her first term in 1996, but did not seek a sixth two-year term in 2006.

But I guess according to some... she's just another fat slob who likes her guns. SMH...
Pat Robertson s Fatwass

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Jun 10, 2014
Instigator wrote:
Here is one excellent reason that some Texans may not care what some media agendas are
No, it is anecdote about an outlier incident. All these spree and mass killings by guns added up - with or without the presence of a "good guy with a gun" - result in numbers of gun deaths which pale in comparison to gun deaths in the home as a result of accident, suicide, domestic dispute.

Unfortunately, tee baggrz and talibangelicals cannot understand statistics. They can only understand purple prose, right wing, fundraising chain emails.
Instigator

Bridgeport, NY

#5 Jun 11, 2014
Pat Robertson s Fatwass wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it is anecdote about an outlier incident. All these spree and mass killings by guns added up - with or without the presence of a "good guy with a gun" - result in numbers of gun deaths which pale in comparison to gun deaths in the home as a result of accident, suicide, domestic dispute.
Unfortunately, tee baggrz and talibangelicals cannot understand statistics. They can only understand purple prose, right wing, fundraising chain emails.
I think we went over a few stats already, and if I remember correctly you did not care for them one little bit, Dear Pat. Mainly because they clearly showed that when a state or country keeps firearms out of their law abiding citizens hand, criminals refuse to abide by the rules of that state or nation. And all of the robbing, murders, rape and other various violent crimes, seem to thrive because of it. So personally, I see no reason to post them again OHOneWithMany Names (from Philadelphia). But if you would like to see them again just ask, I'll even provide a link. And the facts about Suzanna Hupp that I posted, came from Wikipedia. I do admit to adding the "poor woman" part, because frankly..anyone that loses their parents in that manner, I can't help but feel for that person. Especially when she had something in her car that was just a few yards away, that could have possibly saved several lives that day, including her parents. Probably the "purple prose" you mentioned...

I don't claim to be right or left, but do try to choose the middle ground of common sense. And my common sense tells me, that guns are inanimate objects that are completely incapable of killing someone with out a person to operate them. Accidents are horrible, but they do happen also with cars (far more often). Suicides are saddening, but they will find some other ways to off themselves if they are that determined, only possibly a more painful and long drawn out method. Domestic disputes would still happen, because some people are too emotional and irrational, etc, and they use any means available to inflict death, pain, mayhem and possibly chaffing.

If we could go back and ask ALL of the good men or women without a gun.. that were simply abiding the law when their murderers wasn't... what would their opinion be on gun control?

Let's take all the guns away. No violent crime or murdering, right? It's not guns, you extreme leftist Dim-ocratic knucklehead...It's PEOPLE!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Play "end of the name"... 2 min Old Sam 116
News 'Weird winters' a challenge for peony growers 3 min Parden Pard 1
A To Z Of Movies (Sep '12) 3 min Old Sam 5,146
News Police: Man in Stolen Car Gets Lost, Runs out o... 4 min Parden Pard 1
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 6 min Old Sam 4,766
OFFBEAT.keepAword.DropAword.2011edition (Oct '11) 7 min Old Sam 18,943
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 7 min Old Sam 32,302
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 43 min Kong_ 168,422
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Mister_ E 165,023
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 1 hr Jennifer Renee 12,021