“100% Princess”

Level 8

Since: Jan 07

and totally harmless

#43768 Jun 12, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Species also has a factor. Mudcats or flatheads run to tasting "muddy". Blue cats or channel cats are preferred. Many folks confuse the two but a blue cat is a blue cat and the channel cat is light colored with dark freckles along the sides. Channel cats are also known in some places as willow cats because they like to lurk beneath willow trees along the bank. Waiting for small birds to fall from nests I suppose. Some people say the way to clean the muddy taste from a flathead is to keep it in clear water for a couple days. Never tried it so I don't know for sure.
don't you cut out the "mudline" or something? I was thinking that's how you explained it to me once.....

“Standin' In A”

Level 8

Since: May 11

Shaft Of Light

#43769 Jun 12, 2013
Hitesrunprincess wrote:
<quoted text>Those particular cats are in the freezer. But he loves catfish, and anything fried. He has a certain way of dressing it out so it doesn't taste like mud--it tastes like fish. Don't know if there's much difference in fried mud or fried catfish (in my opinion, anyway) lol
lol
I've had some catfish that was really good before, and some 'fried mud', so to speak.
There must be an extension service for Maui County, but I don't know how 'cooperative' they are for us over here. I should look into it, I especially like tomatoes, and they've been dying the last three years or so. There's also a lady that grows a LOT of things and sells them at the 'farmers market' on Saturdays, I could ask her what she knows.

“Standin' In A”

Level 8

Shaft Of Light

#43770 Jun 12, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Species also has a factor. Mudcats or flatheads run to tasting "muddy". Blue cats or channel cats are preferred. Many folks confuse the two but a blue cat is a blue cat and the channel cat is light colored with dark freckles along the sides. Channel cats are also known in some places as willow cats because they like to lurk beneath willow trees along the bank. Waiting for small birds to fall from nests I suppose. Some people say the way to clean the muddy taste from a flathead is to keep it in clear water for a couple days. Never tried it so I don't know for sure.
Yeah, species must make a difference.
I don't know what the species were in the muddy ponds, clear ponds and creeks in Oregon. Some had sharp 'barbs' where their 'ears' would be. lol (ears?)

“Standin' In A”

Level 8

Shaft Of Light

#43771 Jun 12, 2013
Hippichick wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Fisherman! My health is improving, I think. I start PT tomorrow and still waiting to do a pulmonary function test, but other than that, it's all good!
I like staying busy most of the time. It sure makes the day go by faster, doesn't it?
Good to see ya!!
I'm pretty good right now too.
The DVT seems to be going away, had that since August.
My hearing is back from the close up muzzle blast from a 7mm Rem Mag that blew a hole in my ear drum.(WHAT?)
My left hip bone/socket seems a little better, I hope it's not aurtheritis.(probably fell on it and don't remember?) Still feels like the bone might have been cracked.
Let's see, what else???
But, I'm not complaining.

“100% Princess”

Level 8

and totally harmless

#43772 Jun 12, 2013
Fisherman 808 wrote:
<quoted text>
lol
I've had some catfish that was really good before, and some 'fried mud', so to speak.
There must be an extension service for Maui County, but I don't know how 'cooperative' they are for us over here. I should look into it, I especially like tomatoes, and they've been dying the last three years or so. There's also a lady that grows a LOT of things and sells them at the 'farmers market' on Saturdays, I could ask her what she knows.
Sounds like you have a lot of places to check that could give you some good local info.

BTW, I've been meaning to ask you..... Do you know Steve McGarrett?

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Dump American Eagle

#43773 Jun 12, 2013
Hitesrunprincess wrote:
<quoted text>don't you cut out the "mudline" or something? I was thinking that's how you explained it to me once.....
That's on carp and buffalo fish. That helps eliminate the strong "fishy" taste.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Dump American Eagle

#43774 Jun 12, 2013
Fisherman 808 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, species must make a difference.
I don't know what the species were in the muddy ponds, clear ponds and creeks in Oregon. Some had sharp 'barbs' where their 'ears' would be. lol (ears?)
All catfish have three barbed fins. One is the dorsal fin on the back,the others are on each side. Kinda like "arms". When alarmed these stick out and lock in place. Sharp and painful they can draw blood if they stick you. Catfish have "whiskers",barbells, that they use to smell/feel for prey in murky water. While they will eat carrion,they prefer live fish. Small panfish being they favored prey. They are he11 on bluegill minnows/fry.

“100% Princess”

Level 8

and totally harmless

#43775 Jun 12, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>That's on carp and buffalo fish. That helps eliminate the strong "fishy" taste.
Whatever--it all tastes fishy to me.....

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Level 7

Dump American Eagle

#43776 Jun 12, 2013
Hitesrunprincess wrote:
<quoted text>Whatever--it all tastes fishy to me.....
That's because they're "fish".... Some have a stronger *tang* than other species. Game and panfish are more palatable in that regard,being less "fishy" tasting than say bottom feeders or vegetarian species.

“Incorrupta fides, nudaque veri”

Level 9

Since: May 07

Vincit qui se vincit

#43777 Jun 13, 2013
Hitesrunprincess wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning Ricky.
Good morning HRP!

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#43778 Jun 13, 2013
Hippichick wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Fisherman! My health is improving, I think. I start PT tomorrow and still waiting to do a pulmonary function test, but other than that, it's all good!
I like staying busy most of the time. It sure makes the day go by faster, doesn't it?
Good to see ya!!
Sending positive thoughts your way too HC!

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#43779 Jun 13, 2013
okimar wrote:
Thanks, no I want to go fishing! lol

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#43780 Jun 13, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>That's on carp and buffalo fish. That helps eliminate the strong "fishy" taste.
Same with strippers too :)

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#43781 Jun 13, 2013
Hitesrunprincess wrote:
<quoted text>Whatever--it all tastes fishy to me.....
Good morning Princess. Your coffee is ready. My wife is back home and getting stronger.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#43782 Jun 13, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>That's because they're "fish".... Some have a stronger *tang* than other species. Game and panfish are more palatable in that regard,being less "fishy" tasting than say bottom feeders or vegetarian species.
What is funny is carp were highly prized as a game fish and were introduced all over. Imagine stocking carp. They are a big game fish in England and you must use barbless hooks to catch them

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

Since: Feb 08

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

#43783 Jun 13, 2013
Hitesrunprincess wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning FC, yes, a cup of tea every evening--no different than drinking coffee, you know. It's very relaxing.
Glad you found the book. LOL. When I do things like that, Oki says I'm "hiding" them from myself.....lol.
I know what you mean about a lot to do, I have been out in the garden--Cooper was "helping" AGAIN! <shakes head and laughs> Took off with my hand pruners, when I laid them down to pick up the shovel..... He doesn't like weeding in the garden as much as he enjoys a tramp through the back 40 to pick wildflowers. But he has fun, I guess--otherwise, why would he want to help?
Enjoy your day and remember to take some time for YOU.
Hearts, hugs, and helpers.....
Good morning, Princess ... grinning at your little story of Coop ... makes me grin of my little Jax ... Poor Kate came over to help me around here yesterday but I was at the doc's office and I needed her to hang around here til I got home ... she didn't feel well so I found her laying on the sofa when I got home and Jax came in with me from outside ... she said,"Jax wouldn't come in for me when I called him and I wanted to cuddle, I don't feel well" ... I felt so bad for her ... I made him go cuddle with her, awe!... I'm sure he was hot and stinky but she got to cuddle with him ... he's good like that ... he's so sweet and affectionate ... WAIT! A dog named Jax whose named after a biker on Sons of Anarchy? LOL ... sweet and affectionate? shhhhhhhh ... don't tell anybody, LOL ...

Anyway, Jax ---> from the hit series SOA was SUPPOSED to be here Saturday @ Central Texas Harley Davidson ... 50 VIP tickets sold at $100 bucks to meet him ... well, he canceled out and 2 other actors are coming in his stead ... bummer ... I don't think I'm likely to go now in triple digit weather ...

In the meantime, yep, it's HOT ... hope you're staying cool with your little bonnet, sunscreen and light clothing as you work in your yard, garden ... stay cool and hydrated ... and pretty as you are ...

Hearts, hugs and the lovely smell of lavender ...

“I was a Grim Reaper”

Level 8

Since: Apr 07

But now I take antidepressants

#43784 Jun 13, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>What is funny is carp were highly prized as a game fish and were introduced all over. Imagine stocking carp. They are a big game fish in England and you must use barbless hooks to catch them
People pay big money to fish for them too. Most trophy fishing there is on private property......

“Don't harsh my mellow, man!”

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Great State of Oklahoma!

#43785 Jun 13, 2013
Good morning Princess and friends! Another sunny and humid day in OK. I saw the weather pattern around the Chicago area. Bad stuff! I hope they stay weather aware. I don't wish tornadoes on anyone!
Another busy day for me so I better get after it! Wishing all a wonderful day! Hugs, hearts and sunshine!

“Standin' In A”

Level 8

Shaft Of Light

#43786 Jun 13, 2013
Hippichick wrote:
Good morning Princess and friends! Another sunny and humid day in OK. I saw the weather pattern around the Chicago area. Bad stuff! I hope they stay weather aware. I don't wish tornadoes on anyone!
Another busy day for me so I better get after it! Wishing all a wonderful day! Hugs, hearts and sunshine!
Good morning Hippichick.
I hope you are all ready for strong wind in an emergency, scary weather reports lately.

“Standin' In A”

Level 8

Shaft Of Light

#43787 Jun 13, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>That's because they're "fish".... Some have a stronger *tang* than other species. Game and panfish are more palatable in that regard,being less "fishy" tasting than say bottom feeders or vegetarian species.
The vegetarian fish here have a lot stronger 'fishy' flavor too (and the smell VERY bad when you clean them).
I think I tried a carp from the Willamette River in Oregon once. As I remember, we couldn't eat it. There's some carp in the golf course ponds here, maybe I should go try to get one and see how it tastes? When I was on Maui last weekend, I looked in an irrigation ditch where it flowed into a pond and could see goldfish about 6 inches long, I bet the pond has some big ones. When I used to go to Central Oregon and stay with my cousins for a lot of the summers, they had goldfish in the cow pond (irrigation ditch fed it) that were about a foot long! As I remember, they wouldn't bite worms or artificial flies, but I sure caught a lot of bull frogs!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Things to do while waiting........ 13 min Mechanic 211
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 13 min mr goodwrench 7,932
Word Association (Mar '10) 16 min Mega Monster 16,659
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 16 min mr goodwrench 6,089
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 16 min Mechanic 27,645
What Difference Does It Make? 17 min TALLYHO 8541 38
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 17 min mr goodwrench 139,318
Rest in Peace, Spock 50 min -Lea- 371
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr Mega Monster 39,512
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr Camilla 158,228