Weird crime: Ripley, N.Y., woman cite...

Weird crime: Ripley, N.Y., woman cited for stealing school vote signs

There are 90 comments on the Erie Times News story from Feb 15, 2013, titled Weird crime: Ripley, N.Y., woman cited for stealing school vote signs. In it, Erie Times News reports that:

The skinny: Chautauqua County sheriff's deputies said a Ripley, N.Y., woman drew more attention to a contentious school debate by stealing a couple signs from a yard on Feb.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Erie Times News.

funny

Boston, MA

#62 Mar 7, 2013
The signs are perfectly legal and most people know not to take stuff is not theirs as far as being worded differently I think it was very correct I wonder what else she do if no one was looking
Sgt Tackleberry

Huntington, NY

#63 Mar 8, 2013
RR wrote:
<quoted text>
She did not steal anything. A sign was posted in someones yard that said " screw the kids, save the teachers, vote no." She was on the no "team" why would she steal a sign that supported the no side? Well she didn't because she removed the sign because her and the rest of the no "team" (and many others) took the sign as offensive. She (and others on the no team) thought someone on the no side put the sign up and it was offensive and disrespectful the public. The sign definitely should have been phrased differently.
Was it her sign?
Was it on her property?
Did she ask permission to take it?
funny

Framingham, MA

#64 Mar 8, 2013
No
No
And no

I know the person who call the cops
Who then review the video of her taking them

By the way she told the cop she took the signs
Next day she was making jokes about it
common sense

North East, PA

#65 Mar 9, 2013
common sense dictates using appropriate language and images - I saw the sign (I live in Ripley) and it was clearly in poor taste. I understand and value freedom of speech, but I also believe in using that freedom wisely.
traveler

North East, PA

#66 Mar 9, 2013
RR wrote:
<quoted text>
She did not steal anything. A sign was posted in someones yard that said " screw the kids, save the teachers, vote no." She was on the no "team" why would she steal a sign that supported the no side? Well she didn't because she removed the sign because her and the rest of the no "team" (and many others) took the sign as offensive. She (and others on the no team) thought someone on the no side put the sign up and it was offensive and disrespectful the public. The sign definitely should have been phrased differently.
It wasn't hers,it wasn't her property. It doesnt matter if she liked the sign or not. She had no right to take it.
Sticky Fingers

Huntington, NY

#67 Mar 10, 2013
They should make an example of her case. Throw the book at her, send her to jail for 10 years.
savingripley

Woburn, MA

#68 Mar 10, 2013
Now theirs a good ideal
common sense

North East, PA

#69 Mar 10, 2013
What about the individual who stuffed an exhuast pipe of a student's car that had a sign that said "Vote No"? 20 years to life????? Let's make an example of that case!
That wasn't his (I was told it was a male according to a witness) property and he had no right to cause potential harm.
Sticky Fingers

Huntington, NY

#70 Mar 10, 2013
common sense wrote:
What about the individual who stuffed an exhuast pipe of a student's car that had a sign that said "Vote No"? 20 years to life????? Let's make an example of that case!
That wasn't his (I was told it was a male according to a witness) property and he had no right to cause potential harm.
Agreed, throw the book at him, 10 years as well.....

Let's do it!!!
common sense

North East, PA

#71 Mar 10, 2013
No.......much more serious, 20 years....
savingripley

Woburn, MA

#72 Mar 10, 2013
Do you have a name of the male or is this just made up
funny

Woburn, MA

#73 Mar 10, 2013
Do you have him video did you call the cops or did one of his friends do it messing around i do know when he was driving the car around with the sign on it and couldn't see out the windows he almost hit a kid walking across the street
funny

Woburn, MA

#74 Mar 10, 2013
By the way 911 has the tape of that but the cop said it was a kid massing around
common sense

North East, PA

#75 Mar 10, 2013
I was not a witness and neither am I going to state a name that was given to me without verification. But names are out there. If you live in Ripley I am surprised you haven't heard.
funny

Woburn, MA

#76 Mar 10, 2013
I live in ripley and i have not heard so do tell
Turtlehen

Johnson City, NY

#77 May 28, 2013
Wow where have I been? This is all very amazing. Come folks..lets all just get along..:O
creeper

United States

#78 May 31, 2013
"You can believe a thief but not a liar"

Wanda shouldn't not have touched the incredibly ignorant sign.(For that matter, incredibly ignorant sign should never had been made and displayed in the first place.)
The school board should not be telling us we will see taxes go down when they are operating a school of half capacity at a budget of one packed to capacity.$50 isn't significant savings (and while I appreciate every penny, in the grander scale of things, its a drop in the bucket). What will be the story next year? Or when the contract runs out in 2015 but we are committed until 2018? Why is so much administrative staff needed for 200 or less students?(My graduating class had more than 200 students in it and my school district had 5 schools so don't tell me its because of size.) Didn't CLCS just cut some of its elective programs? Where are all these "better options" going to be? I've also heard that the students at CLCS have been treating RCS students very poorly. They don't want them there any more than our students want to be there.
This is just another sad decision by the same sad group of people for a sad little town.

Since: May 13

Dunkirk, NY

#79 May 31, 2013
creeper wrote:
"You can believe a thief but not a liar"
Wanda shouldn't not have touched the incredibly ignorant sign.(For that matter, incredibly ignorant sign should never had been made and displayed in the first place.)
The school board should not be telling us we will see taxes go down when they are operating a school of half capacity at a budget of one packed to capacity.$50 isn't significant savings (and while I appreciate every penny, in the grander scale of things, its a drop in the bucket). What will be the story next year? Or when the contract runs out in 2015 but we are committed until 2018? Why is so much administrative staff needed for 200 or less students?(My graduating class had more than 200 students in it and my school district had 5 schools so don't tell me its because of size.) Didn't CLCS just cut some of its elective programs? Where are all these "better options" going to be? I've also heard that the students at CLCS have been treating RCS students very poorly. They don't want them there any more than our students want to be there.
This is just another sad decision by the same sad group of people for a sad little town.
CLCS still has significantly more options, RCS next year without this would be offering mandatory curriculum only. Basically, no options.

Taxes went down. They didn't go up.

From every report that I have heard, CLCS students have been interacting well with RCS students. First I've heard of any "poor" treatment, other than an incident where a group of RCS students made inappropriate comments about a CLCS student.

Stealing is stealing, and I'd consider it dishonest. That by definition would make you a fool for trusting a thief. One can make any number of excuses, but it is what it is, and it sets a worse example than an inappropriate sign. Pretty sure there are methods of dealing with that not involving theft.
creeper

United States

#80 May 31, 2013
Forsythe Dweller wrote:
<quoted text>
CLCS still has significantly more options, RCS next year without this would be offering mandatory curriculum only. Basically, no options.
Taxes went down. They didn't go up.
From every report that I have heard, CLCS students have been interacting well with RCS students. First I've heard of any "poor" treatment, other than an incident where a group of RCS students made inappropriate comments about a CLCS student.
Stealing is stealing, and I'd consider it dishonest. That by definition would make you a fool for trusting a thief. One can make any number of excuses, but it is what it is, and it sets a worse example than an inappropriate sign. Pretty sure there are methods of dealing with that not involving theft.
Taxes went down this year. I believe I wrote the number based on the current average per household is $50. I didn't disagree with you that they went down. That said, that's no guarantee that will stay the same. A building that size is going to have the same heating, electric, water, sewer, internet, etc expenses and now the addition of more busing plus tuition to another school.
I never said stealing wasn't stealing, only that you can believe a thief, not a liar. Feel free to go back and read where I wrote SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE TOUCHED THE INCREDIBLY IGNORANT SIGN. I thought you might have missed that part. Also, the incredibly ignorant sign had an even more incredibly ignorant creator and it doesn't look very good for the school that it was placed on the principal's personal property, giving her the benefit of the doubt that she wasn't aware of it. As far as trusting a thief, there are people involved with RCS who are more dishonest than taking a sign. Let's call a spade a spade here. We can agree to disagree.

Since: May 13

Jamestown, NY

#81 Jun 1, 2013
Very likely that there will be further cuts for the 14-15 budget. Also, if the town and/or library move in, that will offset some of the building costs. There are also provisions on the tuition rate, it will not go up more than 2%.

And if you think you can trust a thief, you'll live to regret it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Sex Life of Sam and Trevor 4 min Queen Doggy Sam 8
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 6 min Sublime1 220,618
A to Z songs by title or group! (Dec '16) 13 min Zani Grey 2,094
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 47 min liam cul8r 5,692
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 48 min Music Never Stops 76,596
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 53 min quilterqueen 13,496
7 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 56 min Zani Grey 1,474
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 1 hr Ykcul 23,861
Post how you feel (Oct '12) 1 hr unreals_dad 531
More from around the web