Weird crime: Ripley, N.Y., woman cite...

Weird crime: Ripley, N.Y., woman cited for stealing school vote signs

There are 90 comments on the Erie Times News story from Feb 15, 2013, titled Weird crime: Ripley, N.Y., woman cited for stealing school vote signs. In it, Erie Times News reports that:

The skinny: Chautauqua County sheriff's deputies said a Ripley, N.Y., woman drew more attention to a contentious school debate by stealing a couple signs from a yard on Feb.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Erie Times News.

funny

Dunkirk, NY

#21 Feb 23, 2013
Are you all still talking about the school or about some people who can't read a sign . The sign was and is right
yes

Erie, PA

#22 Feb 23, 2013
1st the potential at the college level is much greater than at ripley knowing that the schools was declining and consolidation is going to happen sooner or later so her job was not secured by any means so there is a leap in faith that she could help Ripley and continue her goals. remember change takes some time it isn't only the principal it is the teachers and students and their parents need to take some blame also be fair who is to blame for our failures we all fail
2nd the childrens views are important and they do matter but unlike a parent that is looking out for their children hard decisions have to be made and like any household they may not be popular with everyone but you do what you think is right at that time. I asked a senior if they were a junior what they would want the person said go to CLCS I said why the reply more opportunity better chances more choices in the classroom in extracurricular activities. they said there will be ad times and have to get use to things but that outweighs the good that can happen
concerned parent

North East, PA

#23 Feb 23, 2013
Did you read this week's Westfield paper?...programs will be cut at CLCS for next year...so some of those choices are not going to be there....too bad that wasn't known before.
happyripleyres

Dunkirk, NY

#24 Feb 23, 2013
ripley resident wrote:
Happyripleyres
So are you saying that the children's opinions do not matter? Because the children are the ones being directly affected in this situation. So what if they are not old enough to vote, they should still have a say in this matter. These children are losing their school, losing the school that they have grown up in. They care, no matter what age they are, they care. Even the seniors care because they have friends and family in this school that they want to see graduate from their hometown school. The students should have been asked about whatould want to do.
I do not think think the kids opinions should be the deciding factor on the parents vote. As parents it is our responsibility to look at the objective data on the two schools high school programs to make choice for them. And this decision is not completely about the current students that this will benefit. Should we also get the input of 2nd and 3rd graders? Hold a schoolwide student poll and make it binding?
yes

Erie, PA

#25 Feb 23, 2013
do you really think 2nd and 3rd graders can make that choice. the parents are doing what is best for their children. all schools are making cuts with the taxes we have unfortunately these cuts need to be made. ripley is doing what is best for the school and the students they aren't popular but must be made. until the state mandates that all the small schools combine this is what we get it is the only way to give the kids a better chance at getting more choices so they can become well rounded and better prepared for graduation.
happyripleyres

Dunkirk, NY

#26 Feb 23, 2013
At the last board meeting Karen Krause stated there are going to be upcoming opportunities for the RCS and CLCS students to interact. I urge all RCS students to attend at least one event to find out first hand that they will fit in. Our kids are capable of making this adjustment and will flourish there also.
ripley resident

Dunkirk, NY

#27 Feb 23, 2013
happyripleyres

Well i know that these children know there facts. These children know what they are talking about when they ask questions at meetings. They have definitely been doing their research on this situation.
angry taxpayer

North East, PA

#28 Feb 24, 2013
Let me see if I have this right; 93k + 127k + health insurance for life + 60K + Dean of Students salary for RCS administration - for current year....
Please somebody, tell me I am wrong
happyripleyres

Dunkirk, NY

#29 Feb 24, 2013
The administration salaries are in line with other area districts. Why so much bitterness for highly educated professionals making a living wage? If an administrator was willing to work for a cut rate salary that would be concerning. The admins are LOCAL people who care for the kids on a personal level.
angry taxpayer

North East, PA

#30 Feb 24, 2013
do the math....over 1/2 million dollars and we are being told that the school is in financial distress. I understand the teachers agreed to no pay raise, why didn't the admininstration?
PA parent

North East, PA

#31 Feb 24, 2013
I find these topics interesting and am a retired PA school employee - just a fact: Millcreek superintendent has 7,000 students and makes about 40,000 more than RCS superintendent with how many? 350?
from an unbias bystander
traveler

North East, PA

#33 Feb 24, 2013
angry taxpayer wrote:
do the math....over 1/2 million dollars and we are being told that the school is in financial distress. I understand the teachers agreed to no pay raise, why didn't the admininstration?
If im not mistaken,teachers agreed to 3% this year and 3% next year with no guarantees they will have a job next yr though. Non teaching staff( different union) agreed to have their wages stay the same.
Base Ace

Huntington, NY

#34 Feb 25, 2013
I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes I saw the sign. Life is demanding without understanding.
somebody

Huntington, NY

#35 Feb 25, 2013
angry taxpayer wrote:
Let me see if I have this right; 93k + 127k + health insurance for life + 60K + Dean of Students salary for RCS administration - for current year....
Please somebody, tell me I am wrong
Uh....

You are wrong.
ripley

Dewittville, NY

#36 Feb 25, 2013
creeper wrote:
Wanda was for the NO vote, doesn't make sense she would steal a sign saying to vote no. Unless she swapped it out from a vote yes sign.
it ws in the paper that she was arrested...so believe it..
ripley

Dewittville, NY

#37 Feb 25, 2013
ripley resident wrote:
Happyripleyres
So are you saying that the children's opinions do not matter? Because the children are the ones being directly affected in this situation. So what if they are not old enough to vote, they should still have a say in this matter. These children are losing their school, losing the school that they have grown up in. They care, no matter what age they are, they care. Even the seniors care because they have friends and family in this school that they want to see graduate from their hometown school. The students should have been asked about what they would want to do.
these people will know when ripley becomes a ghost,thats not to far off..
True

Huntington, NY

#38 Feb 25, 2013
ripley wrote:
<quoted text>it ws in the paper that she was arrested...so believe it..
....or not.
angry taxpayer

North East, PA

#39 Feb 25, 2013
somebody - what is the truth then? Let it be told because this information has been stated and documented.
funny

Dunkirk, NY

#40 Feb 25, 2013
You can't handle the truth
somebody

Huntington, NY

#41 Feb 25, 2013
angry taxpayer wrote:
somebody - what is the truth then? Let it be told because this information has been stated and documented.
What are you talking about?
I was simply following your directions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 min Sharlene45 197,380
Alphabetical ways to die (Jul '11) 2 min wichita-rick 10,885
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 5 min andet1987 4,292
One Word (Jan '09) 11 min andet1987 17,077
only TWO words! (Nov '08) 18 min andet1987 27,571
"Any 3 word combination" (Dec '12) 20 min andet1987 2,856
Word Association (Mar '10) 22 min Calisportsgirl 21,092
Make up your wildest Headline. (Aug '08) 1 hr greymouser 620
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 1 hr Very Clear 8,823
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 4 hr Pernicious Snit 59,727
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 5 hr LaBeth 20,015
More from around the web