Guy Dies in Jail Cell After Guards Ignore His Allergies

Nov 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WHLO-AM Akron

Michael Saffioti was in Washington's Snohomish County Jail on a minor marijuana possession charge - the 22-year-old had actually turned himself in.

Comments
21 - 40 of 63 Comments Last updated Nov 11, 2013
debbie

Newnan, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Montezumaa revenge
debbie

Newnan, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Montezumas revenge. if i dont correct my spelling i will catch hell

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Parden Pard wrote:
<quoted text>
In New York,he would've been thrown out of the police station for being stupid,and call his mommy to make sure he made it home,,,,
wrong, he would be doing 5-10

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

debbie wrote:
Montezumas revenge. if i dont correct my spelling i will catch hell
best believe it we are watching/listening to ya

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

ooooooooooops politically correct ya'll

for those of ya who whistle Dixie
Sterkfontein Swartkrans

Warrington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

this happens all the time. amerika's jails are known for neglect of prisoners medical needs and torture.
Doodoo

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Jail and prison is just swill that the hogs wouldn't eat!

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

He did inquire, that is the point of the video, it took months for the mother to acquire it and the authorities kept denying it existed.

It seems none of you have severe food allergies. Trips to a restaurant are pointless, the serving staff and often the chefs and cooks don't seem to grasp what "dairy" entails. I would bet at a jail it would be even worse.
strangely enough

Mesquite, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Always Wary wrote:
He did inquire, that is the point of the video, it took months for the mother to acquire it and the authorities kept denying it existed.
It seems none of you have severe food allergies. Trips to a restaurant are pointless, the serving staff and often the chefs and cooks don't seem to grasp what "dairy" entails. I would bet at a jail it would be even worse.
I saw a few of the videos of him asking for his meds when he had a hard time breathing. He was actually pleading. They locked him in his cell instead and walked away.

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Hotel California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

strangely enough wrote:
<quoted text>I saw a few of the videos of him asking for his meds when he had a hard time breathing. He was actually pleading. They locked him in his cell instead and walked away.
Is it a small jail? Larger ones seem to keep medically trained personnel on hand, they would have spotted a breathing problem.

“ Woodstock Anyone?”

Level 4

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Always Wary wrote:
<quoted text>Is it a small jail? Larger ones seem to keep medically trained personnel on hand, they would have spotted a breathing problem.
I don't know what size it is, but the article states that they had a nurse available and was returned to his cell instead of being taken to her/him.

“ Woodstock Anyone?”

Level 4

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Grace Nerissa wrote:
I have a feeling there's more to this than
we know.
I agree in part with above two posters..
The authorities [ if informed] seemingly should have taken his allergy
more seriously, they didn't..
then again, as Tall rightly said, if he was conscious of this allergy and the consequences ...
with years of past experience WHY did he eat it..
or at the very least why didn't he inquire
"What's in this"
My impression Grace, is that he did. By informing others that he was allergic to dairy and being told that the oatmeal was safe, he probably thought that it was free from dairy. Most oatmeal served in institutions such as schools, hospitals and prisons are made free of anything except oatmeal and water. Not only because of allergies but also because many people are diabetic and can't have sugar. They are given the option of milk, sweetener etc. Less for being catering but for safety. It seems to me that the system dropped the ball at every possible turn and should pay for his life and for illegally lying about the video tapes. They had him there to punish him for his crime and broke the law to cover their own butts.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

modernhippie wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what size it is, but the article states that they had a nurse available and was returned to his cell instead of being taken to her/him.
I read it said a nurse arrived on scene doesn't mean that she was there/or not.... also seen talking but we also don't know the conversation...between himself and guards , state we assume

but once again he knows so why did he eat it ...
Hugh Janus

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
I read it said a nurse arrived on scene doesn't mean that she was there/or not.... also seen talking but we also don't know the conversation...between himself and guards , state we assume
but once again he knows so why did he eat it ...
Lets use your same assumption. Lets say because he ate it many times before and didn't have a reaction? Plausible?

Fact is, YOU don't know. The truth will come out sooner or later even after you've found him guilty here Tally.
Hugh Janus

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

modernhippie wrote:
<quoted text>
My impression Grace, is that he did. By informing others that he was allergic to dairy and being told that the oatmeal was safe, he probably thought that it was free from dairy. Most oatmeal served in institutions such as schools, hospitals and prisons are made free of anything except oatmeal and water. Not only because of allergies but also because many people are diabetic and can't have sugar. They are given the option of milk, sweetener etc. Less for being catering but for safety. It seems to me that the system dropped the ball at every possible turn and should pay for his life and for illegally lying about the video tapes. They had him there to punish him for his crime and broke the law to cover their own butts.
Spot on. Water and oatmeal.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Hugh Janus wrote:
<quoted text>Lets use your same assumption. Lets say because he ate it many times before and didn't have a reaction? Plausible?
Fact is, YOU don't know. The truth will come out sooner or later even after you've found him guilty here Tally.
I didn't find him better read again . I asked why did he eat it and what did the autopsy say...

and no I don't agree with you oatmeal sucks with out milk

“ Woodstock Anyone?”

Level 4

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, don't do the crime in the first place.
The water isn't that bad as long as the faucet is clean and you don't dip out of the toilet.
I hope your statement "Well, don't do the crime in the first place" is not intended to suggest that anyone who does something illegal doesn't have the right to expect basic healthcare. If that were so, I would have died a long time ago and I'm pretty certain that I've never done anything to deserve what this young man got.

“Proud White Woman for life!”

Level 8

Spotted World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

modernhippie wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope your statement "Well, don't do the crime in the first place" is not intended to suggest that anyone who does something illegal doesn't have the right to expect basic healthcare. If that were so, I would have died a long time ago and I'm pretty certain that I've never done anything to deserve what this young man got.
What I said was tailored to one specific person and ONLY as a direct reply to what they said. What it means is that you should know the track record of jails and prisons is not that good, and use that as an incentive to try to avoid going in the first place. And yes, it is wise to address the health needs of inmates. As shoddy as the system is, many who are innocent of what they were charged of are behind bars. So it could have been any of us.

BTW, I usually speak in generalities. It is sad that this guy ended up dead over a petty dope charge.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

jails are a prison ,with the comforts of home , but a detention center , a holding station

“Proud White Woman for life!”

Level 8

Spotted World

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Judged:

tallyho wrote:
jails are a prison ,with the comforts of home , but a detention center , a holding station
Then tell that to my county. There are no comforts. Most of what drinks they gave you are diluted. 50% generic soft drink with water. I am sure that is for cost-cutting measures, but there are health benefits. If you don't know anyone on the outside, it is heck, since if you need anything else like snacks or stationery, you have to buy it, and you could have plenty of money in the bank, but it doesn't help with the canteen unless you can somehow get it from the bank to the commissary. Then you only have 1 day of the week to apply to use the commissary, and fulfillment takes 3 days. So if you have to reach someone on the outside, and assuming you can afford the canteen, it may take a week and a half to two weeks to get a letter to someone. And if you have bought from canteen and are released before fulfillment, then if you don't come by within 3 days, you don't get any product nor a refund. It is forfeited.

A lot of stuff that people think are rights, they don't actually get in jail. They are usually not be read their rights down this way unless it is a felony. The "free phone call" bit is a joke. They get around that by giving you access to a broken phone, but you can't use your own working cell phone. That is one of the first things they take at booking, if not at time of arrest. After that, the phone in the "rec area" only can make collect calls, and you have to enter your inmate number each time so it will authorize you to make a call.

The term "rec time" is a misnomer. There is no gym, no weights, and you don't go outside, at least not if in any type of segregation, regardless of the reason (whether being a particularly vulnerable inmate, committing certain unpopular crimes, committing infractions in the jail, or attempting suicide). About all you can do at rec time is take a shower, walk around, ask for forms, or call someone if you can.

Oh, and contacting your lawyer is hard to do, and not anything fast. Legal aid doesn't take collect calls, and if you are arraigned, you are told to contact legal aid to be assigned an attorney. So if they have a broken phone at booking, and collect-only phones elsewhere, then how the heck can you do that? Oh, you can write them, but you have to have stationery, and if you have no funds in the canteen account, you might go on to your next appearance in shackles and without a lawyer.

Oh, and is lying on a metal frame with just 2 sheets the comforts of home, or there being a light on in your cell 24-7? Plus it is set up where you can't possibly follow all the rules, so they could write you up at any time they want. For instance, one of the rules is not to be outside the bed at other than designated times. That is not unreasonable. However, after a while, you lose track of time. There are no clocks around, so how would you know if they don't tell you when the designated times are? I guess the food served is a clue. If you get a carton of spoiled milk and a cup of dilute juice, then it must be early morning.

For some people, all the above is actually a step up. Alcoholics and the homeless often improve their health in there. The food they give you in there won't put much weight on you, but it is more than what the homeless eat, and they can take daily showers if they want.

And no, don't ask. ;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••