Who Knows Psycholinguistics?

Who Knows Psycholinguistics?

Posted in the Weird Forum

“Quite Contrary”

Level 3

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#1 Nov 14, 2013
I need help, if there is some one here familiar with the field. Specifically, in how people perceive what they read.
Our local election ballots were printed with names in the wrong order, first names first, and printed in all caps. Several of the candidate names had similarities, and we believe that changing the expected order affected the outcome.
For this, and other irregularities we want to challenge the election results. Even though this is only a part of our objection, no part is unimportant.
We have two and a half weeks left to gather our evidence requesting a judicial review of our election.
suggestion

Kansas City, MO

#2 Nov 14, 2013
Check with Billy R. He knows who everyone is on Topix.
wichita lying man

Hoffman Estates, IL

#3 Nov 14, 2013
suggestion wrote:
Check with Billy R. He knows who everyone is on Topix.
s/he's never wrong!

“Quite Contrary”

Level 3

Location hidden

#4 Nov 16, 2013
I could still use some help, if anyone can.

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#5 Nov 16, 2013
Lots of times in 'hidden locations' the ballots are stacked..did you vote for Batman..??...check the sky for spotlights, never answer a red phone hidden under a bell jar..

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Nov 16, 2013
Psycholinguistics? That's crazy talk!

“Quite Contrary”

Level 3

Location hidden

#7 Nov 16, 2013
justaguess wrote:
Lots of times in 'hidden locations' the ballots are stacked..did you vote for Batman..??...check the sky for spotlights, never answer a red phone hidden under a bell jar..
Were you dropped on your head, repeatedly, as a child?

“New & Improved..”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#8 Nov 16, 2013
NinaRocks wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you dropped on your head, repeatedly, as a child?
Perhaps. you never met my mother..caustic wench, but I digress...Still, I do know who I vote for..justy sayin'..
A noted observer

Hoffman Estates, IL

#9 Nov 16, 2013
NinaRocks wrote:
I need help, if there is some one here familiar with the field. Specifically, in how people perceive what they read.
Our local election ballots were printed with names in the wrong order, first names first, and printed in all caps. Several of the candidate names had similarities, and we believe that changing the expected order affected the outcome.
For this, and other irregularities we want to challenge the election results. Even though this is only a part of our objection, no part is unimportant.
We have two and a half weeks left to gather our evidence requesting a judicial review of our election.
Do you have a link to show the ballots or can you copy and paste the names?

“Quite Contrary”

Level 3

Location hidden

#10 Nov 16, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have a link to show the ballots or can you copy and paste the names?
No. It's not about the names. I am simply looking for a way to show that reading is a guessing game based on the readers expectation, and that if that reader is presented with something unexpected(especially if that person is dyslexic, undereducated, or has another insufficiency)the result would be an increase in error.
TicTack

Fullerton, CA

#11 Nov 16, 2013
NinaRocks wrote:
<quoted text>
No. It's not about the names. I am simply looking for a way to show that reading is a guessing game based on the readers expectation, and that if that reader is presented with something unexpected(especially if that person is dyslexic, undereducated, or has another insufficiency)the result would be an increase in error.
Your question brings to mind a post made here awhile back.
The post was about an odd phenomena that people read only the first and last letters in most words.
They are able to comprehend the concept of a paragraph even if the center letters of the words are misspelled or in a jumble; often not noticing the typos or spelling mistakes at all.
That post might have been on the "Did you know?" thread.
It may be worth while to find that post and question the writer about where they picked up that interesting trivia.
That may lead you to a site that holds an answer to your inquiry.

“Quite Contrary”

Level 3

Location hidden

#12 Nov 17, 2013
TicTack wrote:
<quoted text>
Your question brings to mind a post made here awhile back.
The post was about an odd phenomena that people read only the first and last letters in most words.
They are able to comprehend the concept of a paragraph even if the center letters of the words are misspelled or in a jumble; often not noticing the typos or spelling mistakes at all.
That post might have been on the "Did you know?" thread.
It may be worth while to find that post and question the writer about where they picked up that interesting trivia.
That may lead you to a site that holds an answer to your inquiry.
Thankyou, I have gotten some pm help as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
20,000th Post Wins - 2d Edition (Jan '13) 2 min beatlesinthebog 2,481
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 2 min Hoosier Hillbilly 8,937
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: 3 min DILF 2,570
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 5 min Brother Larry 9,789
Gotya Where We Want You 5 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1
Last Word is First Word (no "breast" word please) 6 min beatlesinthebog 687
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 8 min Crystal_Clear722 44,004
name my cat 25 min DILF 59
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 hr gracefallen 169,653
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 4 hr gracefallen 29,775
More from around the web