Neighbor heard 'strange' howling from dog who was later found frozen to death

Full story: Examiner.com 18
Another dog has died from the frigid temperatures after being left to suffer outside by a negligent owner in Belleville, Ill., reported Thursday's BND.com. Full Story

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

#1 Jan 9, 2014
"According to Rosen, the dog who died spent his life padlocked to a chain in his neighbor's yard "
Why even have the dog to begin with?

Other news on the page - Teens beat homeless man and kill his small dog.
Shit like this makes me hate the human race, how we treat people and animals that are weaker than us says everything.

“Sing a song of 6 pence”

Level 7

Since: Jun 12

Pocket full of wry

#2 Jan 9, 2014
Always Wary wrote:
"According to Rosen, the dog who died spent his life padlocked to a chain in his neighbor's yard "
Why even have the dog to begin with?
Other news on the page - Teens beat homeless man and kill his small dog.
Shit like this makes me hate the human race, how we treat people and animals that are weaker than us says everything.
Decided to check the o.b. tonight and this is first thing I read. I agree with you A.Wary.
Some people aren't worth the lead it would take to kill them. Sorry s.o.b's makes abortion look like a good idea.
:;^(
Fisher Man

United States

#3 Jan 9, 2014
The shame is that he will not see any jail time over this and will just go get another dog and start the abuse all over again! The justice system doesn't really protect these pets. Look back at the case of the man in State Park who got caught by some kids having sex with his German shepherd at a car wash. The case has been dismissed and he got his dogs back. He now lives in Stone Bridge Estates in Columbia il and has 6 dogs and a horse. His name is Michael Brown! Yes I have seen him with the dogs on several occasions! POS if you ask me!

“No. 1 Stunna”

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#4 Jan 9, 2014
That's awful ... poor dog.
60s chic

Bethlehem, PA

#5 Jan 9, 2014
That poor dog. It makes me cry. Chaining a living creature to fend the elements is certainly cruel and inhumane. I agree the owner should be held accountable. It is very disturbing how some people treat animals. It says a lot about their character, or lack thereof. It makes me sad to see unwanted pets or careless pet owners and many pets end up roaming the neighborhoods and fending for themselves. I see this often with stray cats. They feel the cold, and loneliness, suffer disease and hunger just as any living breathing animal and human does. Man has domesticated these animals and it's not like you can throw them out into the wild and expect that they will survive like other wild creatures.

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#6 Jan 9, 2014
60s chic wrote:
That poor dog. It makes me cry. Chaining a living creature to fend the elements is certainly cruel and inhumane. I agree the owner should be held accountable. It is very disturbing how some people treat animals. It says a lot about their character, or lack thereof. It makes me sad to see unwanted pets or careless pet owners and many pets end up roaming the neighborhoods and fending for themselves. I see this often with stray cats. They feel the cold, and loneliness, suffer disease and hunger just as any living breathing animal and human does. Man has domesticated these animals and it's not like you can throw them out into the wild and expect that they will survive like other wild creatures.
You know what the truly horrible thing is when you think about it is. Dogs are fully capable of living their entire lives outdoors when provided with very minimal shelter. I'm not saying leaving it outside it's whole life is good but a dog is able to survive and even thrive this way. The amount of neglect it took for this dog to die like this is astronomical.
60s chic

Bethlehem, PA

#7 Jan 9, 2014
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text>You know what the truly horrible thing is when you think about it is. Dogs are fully capable of living their entire lives outdoors when provided with very minimal shelter. I'm not saying leaving it outside it's whole life is good but a dog is able to survive and even thrive this way. The amount of neglect it took for this dog to die like this is astronomical.
I agree. Under the right conditions, that is. That dog was undoubtedly ignored and probably malnourished as well. That poor dog was all alone for probably much of its unfortunate life. Probably very little contact except for its fenced-in tomb. I know of a few neighbors who keep large dogs outside all year round, but they play, walk and provide some companionship. I personally don't think I could keep a dog penned up outside all of the time, but that's just me. That's why I don't have any dog because I don't like walking in my neighborhood or able to care for a dog the way I think it should be cared for. A cat would be easier for me and I would definitely keep it indoors should I ever get one. We have a few rooms to remodel and refurnish and then I plan to adopt a kitty - probably 2 so they can keep each other company.
Grace Nerissa

Dublin, Ireland

#8 Jan 10, 2014
60s chic wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Under the right conditions, that is. That dog was undoubtedly ignored and probably malnourished as well. That poor dog was all alone for probably much of its unfortunate life. Probably very little contact except for its fenced-in tomb. I know of a few neighbors who keep large dogs outside all year round, but they play, walk and provide some companionship. I personally don't think I could keep a dog penned up outside all of the time, but that's just me. That's why I don't have any dog because I don't like walking in my neighborhood or able to care for a dog the way I think it should be cared for. A cat would be easier for me and I would definitely keep it indoors should I ever get one. We have a few rooms to remodel and refurnish and then I plan to adopt a kitty - probably 2 so they can keep each other company.
Well you prove to be a responsible person, as the saying goes,
If you feel you cannot manage a dog don't have one.

I was so deeply upset having read the above article,
I cannot understand such people, they are devoid of all feeling...
Folks I'd be afraid to be around.

I also honestly feel too that ..the authorities > teachers in school etc
don't give enough time to teaching children
from the start.. the importance of treating animals
decently.

At least the poor little precious creature in this case
Is gone from it's misery now.
¥£€

Belleville, IL

#9 Jan 10, 2014
Not all dogs can live in -20° conditions. This story saddens and infuriates me. If I was the neighbor the dog would have been taken long ago. Bolt cutters cut right thru a pad lock. Poor dog.

“Forehead wrinkle”

Since: Dec 10

Homefries

#10 Jan 10, 2014
If there is karmic justice, I hope some day that this "owner" finds himself outside in freezing conditions for a lengthy period of time......
Cold-hearted people, I just don't understand them.......
RIP pooch, you deserve a good afterlife.....

“frequently laughing”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Hotel California

#11 Jan 10, 2014
Sadder still is this is just one story, many more are never told.

Don't be part of the problem, spay and neuter your pets. If pets were harder to come by stories like would be less likely to happen.
60s chic

Bethlehem, PA

#12 Jan 10, 2014
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you prove to be a responsible person, as the saying goes,
If you feel you cannot manage a dog don't have one.
I was so deeply upset having read the above article,
I cannot understand such people, they are devoid of all feeling...
Folks I'd be afraid to be around.
I also honestly feel too that ..the authorities > teachers in school etc
don't give enough time to teaching children
from the start.. the importance of treating animals
decently.
At least the poor little precious creature in this case
Is gone from it's misery now.
I agree Grace. I remember when I was in school, there were so many important things that should have been taught besides math, English, history, etc. They should have been teaching kids how to survive and live in the real world. Children should absolutely be taught to treat animals with respect and compassion and that should probably be part of a curriculum too. What a child learns early on about caring for animals, may also determine how well a child will treat other human beings as he/she matures. It's a fact that many serial killers started out by first abusing and torturing animals.

“All things considered...”

Since: Nov 07

"you get back what you give"

#13 Jan 10, 2014
Humans are the most disgusting of all the animals, makes me sick. Nothing much will happen to the negligent owner, never does. Bet he gets another dog before too long, which should not be allowed by a court.

Level 7

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#14 Jan 14, 2014
This owner is what drive-bys were invented.....

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#15 Jan 16, 2014
people can be so cruel.....
:(

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#16 Jan 16, 2014
Simply_Red wrote:
Humans are the most disgusting of all the animals, makes me sick. Nothing much will happen to the negligent owner, never does. Bet he gets another dog before too long, which should not be allowed by a court.

I don't blame you for saying this, as what you read..
and whast I read of this case would enrage ANYONE...

If I had my way I'd joyfully jail that guy..
he has something seriously missing in his makeup..
to have the ability to sit in comfort inside a warm room,
KNOWING what he was doing to a helpless creature in
his care.. is ALIEN to so many of us.

ALL humans aren't like this,
my dog, for example.. has the life of Riley,
EVERY comfort, allowed stay in the best room at night
for warmth ALTHO' she insists on chewing the cushions! lol
but, I can buy new cushions which have no feelings,
like a little creature has, is how I see it..

She gets treats and toys, top brand foods, Vetinary..
and most of all LOVE..

Many other Offbeat members .. I know.. are the same...
about their animals.

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#17 Jan 16, 2014
These creeps -- irresponsible pet "owners -- are all over. Indiana has more than its share. There are quite a few reports about domesticated animals found dead outside in the truly arctic weather we had over a week ago.

There was a 'miracle' too. Fortunately for this one dog, it was rescued in time:

http://www.wthr.com/story/24396976/2014/01/08...

And this "just in". There are more than enough of these greedy and heartless types around too. Free enterprise and all that:

http://www.wishtv.com/news/indiana/breeder-ac...

Level 7

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#18 Jan 16, 2014
It seems to me that good American's will never be contented, unless we really tighten the laws and consequences for those that abuse animals....if this guy was facing 2 years, these abuses sure might shrink.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 8 min texas pete 6,226
30,000 post wins (May '13) 14 min NotaGoth 1,966
Make a Story / 4 Words Only (Nov '08) 16 min Mechanic 24,564
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 19 min -Lea- 22,211
tell me one word to describe yourself (Jun '09) 20 min Aka - Alias 15,451
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 22 min DanFromSmithville 120,761
Lets ask Gloop! (Jul '12) 23 min NotaGoth 969
True or False Game 31 min AmyFaith 352
Name a smell you love to smell! (Jan '14) 39 min Wolftracks 512
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 1 hr Sam 6,825